49ers put TAYLOR MAYS on the trading block

visajets

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers sent out a "mass email" to the other 31 teams letting them know S Taylor Mays is available for trade.

The Niners are giving up on Mays after one season. The 49th pick in last year's draft, Mays is what we thought he was: A straight-line athlete with no prayer of being an asset in coverage. They might salvage a late-round draft pick in a best case scenario. Perhaps Mays' old college coach, Pete Carroll, would be interested in giving him a look in Seattle. The Seahawks' current projected starting strong safety is Kam Chancellor.

This kid is a beast. With the right coaching he could be the next Ed Reed.

With the right coaching, can I be the next visajets.

They should've turned him into a LB.

I wouldn't mind putting a waiver claim on him and do just that. Have him be a rush LB. The guy is 6'3" and at least 230lbs. Get him up into the 240s and see how much speed he still has.

If the price is a late round draft pick, then I do not see how this is a bad idea. Mays has a ton of athletic ability, and with the right coaching can be a good player in this league. Worst case scenerio we trade for him and he is still useless as a safety, he would still be a valuable contributor on Special Teams. Trading for Mays could be a very nice manuevre, and can help us fill a hole at S/Special Teams with Ihedigbo potentially leaving...

I wouldn't mind putting a waiver claim on him and do just that. Have him be a rush LB. The guy is 6'3" and at least 230lbs. Get him up into the 240s and see how much speed he still has.

Did they do that with Ed Reed? No. You know nothing.

If he starts getting a lot of sacks then maybe they can move him to NT.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers sent out a "mass email" to the other 31 teams letting them know S Taylor Mays is available for trade.

The Niners are giving up on Mays after one season. The 49th pick in last year's draft, Mays is what we thought he was: A straight-line athlete with no prayer of being an asset in coverage. They might salvage a late-round draft pick in a best case scenario. Perhaps Mays' old college coach, Pete Carroll, would be interested in giving him a look in Seattle. The Seahawks' current projected starting strong safety is Kam Chancellor.

This kid is a beast. With the right coaching he could be the next Ed Reed.

LOL

exactly, if they are willing to take a low pick 5th or lower, i'd try him at lb. that's what many people thought he would be. and to toot my own horn i was one of the people that wanted no part of him as a safety.

Regardless of what Carroll did how many of you have been bitching about Eric Smith and Brodney Pool? Heres a chance to bring in a young player for late round draft pick and let Rex and Thurman coch him.

Another college track star posing as a football player...without proper football instincts nor basic tackling skills there are limits to what even the best coaches can achieve.

Another college track star posing as a football player...without proper football instincts nor basic tackling skills there are limits to what even the best coaches can achieve.

Watch his hjghlight film and then come back and tell me how he cant tackle. :rolleyes:

exactly, if they are willing to take a low pick 5th or lower, i'd try him at lb. that's what many people thought he would be. and to toot my own horn i was one of the people that wanted no part of him as a safety.

Perhaps, but I'm not trading a pick for him unless it's a 7th (Kerry Rhodes compensation). I prefer waiver claim.

Rex has no need for LBs that weigh less than 255. If you can't play the run, you can't play for Rex. I like the idea of putting Mays at LB, but not for this team.

Big and fast is nice. It's something to consider, but all the coaching in the world can't change stiff. He seems stiff. He seemed stiff in college and IIRC he was ultra stiff running drills at the combine. Worth a look for ultra-cheap, but big and fast does not equal sacks. Guys like Drew Coleman and Ray Mickens were faster and not stiff. Sure they could be blocked, but they were a hell of a lot harder to hit than a guy like Mays.

Archived