Free Agents who are we picking up?

BornJetsFan1983

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there instances of a new team giving a RB his 2nd (READ: BIG) contract and it actually working out?

LT in '04

Jones-Drew (3 years into a 5-year deal so far)

Michael Turner (4 years into a 6-year deal)

Steven Jackson (4 years into a 6-year deal, though he's been wasted the whole time)

Fred Taylor in 2003 I think it was.

Emmitt Smith in 1993.

LT in '04

Steven Jackson (4 years into a 6-year deal, though he's been wasted the whole time)

Emmitt Smith in 1993.

EY specified that he was asking for instances of a 2nd contract with a NEW team. So I don't think any of those would apply except perhaps Turner?

EY specified that he was asking for instances of a 2nd contract with a NEW team. So I don't think any of those would apply except perhaps Turner?

Missed that part. But then it's unusual for someone that valuable to hit the open market at a young enough age to warrant (or rationalize) that type of investment.

And in that case, there are plenty of people here who would have listed Curtis Martin.

LT in '04

Emmitt Smith in 1993.

Solid list. Not that many, but a few. I've never been a believer in paying RBs. Feel like it's the easiest position to find a replacement and they never last.

Plaina and simple, Sanchez is not getting to done. Not now, not in 23012, not ever. The rest of the team tryimg to cover his inadequacy is a recipe for suckage.

Either kick the tires on Manning and see if he will go 2 or 3 years.

Or better than that, sign Matt Flynn, send Pick 6 packing and be done with it. Because there are a whole bunch of teams who look back on not signing Drew Brees and are kicking themselves. We need a front office that looks at the big picture. Flynn can do it, Sanchez cannot.

Solid list. Not that many, but a few. I've never been a believer in paying RBs. Feel like it's the easiest position to find a replacement and they never last.

Me neither. RBs get injured too easily. It's great to have a unique talent who can create something from nothing, break (real) tackles and keep going, or hit a little open seam and he's just gone.

I'm a much bigger believer in going a little overboard on the OL, which this team did for a while with great success. Hell, it turned a ridiculously underwhelming runner, Jones, into a back with pro bowl numbers (though he would have been a damn good guy to have around the locker room this past season). It's also a bit easier to plug & play a ho-hum RB behind a good to great OL than trying to force-feed a situation with a great RB behind a not-so-good OL.

There just aren't that many players around with Adrian Peterson type talent. I think someone like Greene can be plenty useful if he isn't overused, and cap-wise he's more than cost-friendly (as well as resolving past fumbling issues). He needs someone else to spell him who isn't already over the hill and though his blocking is adequate enough his receiving isn't adequate enough to warrant staying in on 3rd downs. For whatever reason (problems with the playbook, can't pick up blitzes in practice, or other) they didn't want to use McKnight who has youth and speed and comes with a cheap salary for (then) 3 more years. Powell didn't exactly take the bull by the horns in very limited action (though he seemed to pick up the blitz well on one play).

Point is they could use somebody but need not find a unique talent type of guy, nor a ridiculous burner, to have a more than adequate ground game.

Yeah count me in on throwing the money at the OL to fix the running game rather than RB.

G'dammit so I'm going to up the list to Mario Williams, Calais Campbell, and/or Carl Nicks.

Campbell seems kind of redundant since we actually have (cheap) depth on the d-line. I guess he would be an improvement pass rush wise, but I dunno if it would be a good idea to pay him big bucks to reinforce a position of strength. I'd take Nicks, but that is going to cost a fortune and unless we move him to right tackle it wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Campbell seems kind of redundant since we actually have (cheap) depth on the d-line. I guess he would be an improvement pass rush wise, but I dunno if it would be a good idea to pay him big bucks to reinforce a position of strength. I'd take Nicks, but that is going to cost a fortune and unless we move him to right tackle it wouldn't make a ton of sense.

I think it's always a good idea to get more talented wherever there's talent to bring in.

Nicks would be worth the money is alls I'm saying...I'd be willing to try him at RT too, possibly. Probably the best LG/G in the league at this point...

Sign Demetrius Bell/Vernon Carey/Any other OT that can help; Sign Braylon Edwards, has chemistry with Sanchez and we have no deep threat on the roster (saves picks for defense); Resign Bryan Thomas for cheap (assuming healthy); Sign Bernard Pollard (a bit of a butch in coverage, but better than Smith...Will scare the hell out Brady and adds swag to the D). Basic signings, no huge money is needed for any of these guys, but they can help make a huge difference. Then use our top draft picks on 1) Mark Barron 2) Vinny Curry/Andre Branch/Other highly rated 3-4 OLB that falls 3) Doug Martin/LaMichael James.

Plaina and simple, Sanchez is not getting to done. Not now, not in 23012, not ever. The rest of the team tryimg to cover his inadequacy is a recipe for suckage.

Either kick the tires on Manning and see if he will go 2 or 3 years.

Or better than that, sign Matt Flynn, send Pick 6 packing and be done with it. Because there are a whole bunch of teams who look back on not signing Drew Brees and are kicking themselves. We need a front office that looks at the big picture. Flynn can do it, Sanchez cannot.

23012 is the Jets year guaranteed!! Wonder if I'll be alive to see it???

I've heard a strong rumor that the Jets win the 2099 Super Bowl I can see the parade now, from heaven, I hope, of course.

I think we look at Mario Williams. Would be a great presence on the field and a good leadership by example guy. In the end though I think there are going to be teams that ante up considerable amount of more money for him than the JETS will be able to. i.e. Denver, Bills, Pats, NO, Cowbums.

Carl Nicks I would like to see as well (should have taken him 2008 - he went in round 5). If we were to get him though I don't know if it would be worth it to maybe try him at RT for a spell. He played RT in college(both positions) and now that he has had experience inside in the trenches his leverage problems scouts noted back in 08 would be better. I think his Pass pro would need a little bit of tweaking for the RT position but hey that's what OTA's and training camp is for.

I don't think we have a hope in hell for Manning, and at this point I am not so sure all that glitters is gold with him. Sanchez is not great but lets face it at least we arn't Bills fans ROFL at the money they gave Fitz.

Manningham would be a decent receiver I think but for what he is going to ask for after that stupid catch it's not anywhere close to worth it IMO. I could see us going after Hines Ward. Better year's are far behind him but great locker room guy and solid route runner, locker stability for a bargain basement price? YES PLEASE!

Sign Demetrius Bell/Vernon Carey/Any other OT that can help; Sign Braylon Edwards, has chemistry with Sanchez and we have no deep threat on the roster (saves picks for defense); Resign Bryan Thomas for cheap (assuming healthy); Sign Bernard Pollard (a bit of a butch in coverage, but better than Smith...Will scare the hell out Brady and adds swag to the D). Basic signings, no huge money is needed for any of these guys, but they can help make a huge difference. Then use our top draft picks on 1) Mark Barron 2) Vinny Curry/Andre Branch/Other highly rated 3-4 OLB that falls 3) Doug Martin/LaMichael James.

Agreed with all...

Pollard wouldn't be a bad addition at all, as long as he doesn't do the dance he did in the KC locker room.

Archived