Will the Pats be without both TE's this Thursday?

Blackout

According to the Boston Globe, Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is expected to return on Thanksgiving night against the Jets.

Per reliable beat reporter Greg Bedard, the Patriots held Hernandez out of Sunday's win over the Colts only because the recovery time (soreness, swelling) likely would have been too short with a Thursday night game next on the slate. Hernandez has practiced in "limited" fashion the past two weeks, so he's appeared close to playing. On Thanksgiving, the Pats could use Michael Hoomanawanui or Daniel Fells at Rob Gronkowski's (broken forearm) "Y" tight end position. Visanthe Shiancoe is Hernandez's backup at the "F" tight end spot

Manza-Young of the Boston Globe is reporting that he could have played yesterday, but they opted to hold him out one more game. He'll be active Thursday night. Whether he'll be effective is another matter.

I think this is the point. He MAY play. But how effective will he be? Just a decoy perhaps?

Yes.

If Hernandez wasn't ready for yesterday's game, why would he be ready for Thursday's?

Four days won't make much of a difference.....

BD

Did the Patriots need Hernandez? No.

I am sure that weighed on the Patriots minds as the decision was to go with him or not. Seeing the Jets is a division game, it made more sense to give him the extra four days.

I think this is the point. He MAY play. But how effective will he be? Just a decoy perhaps?

I hear McDaniels wants to play him all over the place - te, slot, h-back, 4 wide...the way he was utilized towards the end of the year last season.

Did the Patriots need Hernandez? No.

I am sure that weighed on the Patriots minds as the decision was to go with him or not. Seeing the Jets is a division game, it made more sense to give him the extra four days.

When he's tearing it up in practice, bring him back. He's barely showing up to practice.

If he plays, he'll just be a wounded decoy. Why risk him? You're going to the post season. This game means little to the Pats. get him healthy. Don't rush him back......

BD

Even without both Gronk and AH, you could have Brady throwing to Welker / Lloyd / Edelman / Shiancoe / Woodhead (or Vereen). That group would still be better than middle of the pack in terms of receiving weapons compared to the rest of the league. With the Jets having their own defensive woes due to injury or age, Brady should put up good numbers unless the Jets front seven has a monster pass rushing game.

When he's tearing it up in practice, bring him back. He's barely showing up to practice.

If he plays, he'll just be a wounded decoy. Why risk him? You're going to the post season. This game means little to the Pats. get him healthy. Don't rush him back......

BD

Every game matters in playoff seeding particularly AFC opponents.

Getting Hernandez back in production mode starts now for the final 6 games, 2 vs beastly defenses like SF and Houston.

Every game matters in playoff seeding particularly AFC opponents.

Getting Hernandez back in production mode starts now for the final 6 games, 2 vs beastly defenses like SF and Houston.

If you think he's (almost) ready, and YOU NEED HIM to beat the Jets, play him. I would think long-term.

If you re-injure him now, he's done for the season, and you're screwed in the Playoffs, a place where the Pats need to play better, not the regular season......

BD

If you think he's (almost) ready, and YOU NEED HIM to beat the Jets, play him. I would think long-term.

If you re-injure him now, he's done for the season, and you're screwed in the Playoffs, a place where the Pats need to play better, not the regular season......

BD

The offense seems to doing OK. I do not expect a repeat of the game in Foxboro. Gronk will be back in 6 weeks if any thing happened to Hernandez.

I dont think NE is rushing him. They never have rushed players into action before and certainly not with NFL player safety being what it is today.

The offense seems to doing OK. I do not expect a repeat of the game in Foxboro. Gronk will be back in 6 weeks if any thing happened to Hernandez.

I dont think NE is rushing him. They never have rushed players into action before and certainly not with NFL player safety being what it is today.

That's why I'm not expecting him. He didn't even dress this past week. So that's sayin' somethin.

People don't start 4 days after not dressing......

BD

BD

FWIW.....and it is worth nothing until Thursday's inactives are announced. I know what the URL says, but the article says Thursday.

http://nesn.com/2012/11/report-aaron-hernandez-will-play-on-sunday-after-recovering-from-right-ankle-injury/

FWIW.....and it is worth nothing until Thursday's inactives are announced. I know what the URL says, but the article says Thursday.

http://nesn.com/2012...t-ankle-injury/

Pats are in a tough spot without Gronk. They may feel vulnerable without both TEs. They know the Jets can't cover TEs.

But if he gets re-injured......I guess they aren't worried about getting passed in the division race.

He may help them just as a decoy. The Jets will spend major resources to cover TEs, because they know they stink at it......

BD

Archived