•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking at the New York Jets Salary Cap Part (NYJETSCAP)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Roster Cuts and Renegotiations
http://nyjetscap.com...s-...part1.html

Restructures and Extensions
http://nyjetscap.com...s-...part2.html

The Final Conclusions
http://nyjetscap.com...s-...part3.html

#2 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,266 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Big read, but in it Jason clears out a path to a significant amount of cap space in 2013 without much pain at all. After reading it, this season all of a sudden doesn't look quite as hopeless. Outside of the QB situation, of course.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#3 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I skipped ahead to the conclusion but will get to the rest in the next hour. Stunned, STUNNED, to find out that yet another issue is extremely overblown.

Edited by SenorGato, 02 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#4 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,061 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

long but informative......this guy knows wtf he's talking about when it comes to the cap and nfl contracts

#5 JollyGreen

JollyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Is it too late to make this guy the new GM??

#6 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Is it too late to make this guy the new GM??

Even less personnel experience than Tannenbaum or New Tannenbaum.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#7 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

I skipped ahead to the conclusion but will get to the rest in the next hour. Stunned, STUNNED, to find out that yet another issue is extremely overblown.

I bet people didn't read the part where it was assumed that Revis bolts the Jets though.

#8 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,724 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

The cap is navigable. Nice. But the roster is still loaded with dead weight that needs to be replaced, and it'll take more than a few mil in cap space to do that in the short term. Idzik has mentioned a few times the term "evolution of the roster," which is exciting because it indicates to me that he'll build in a way that doesn't require binge-and-purges the way Tannenbaum had. He's going to be aware of which players need to be paid and when, and which players to let walk, allowing for long-term foundation building instead of throwing money at old vets to come in and prop up the roster for two years.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#9 Bergen Jet

Bergen Jet

TebowsNation.com

• Members
  • 5,909 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Our new GM should hire Jason just to have somebody else in the front office who has half a brain.

#10 ARodJetsFan

ARodJetsFan

JetNation Original Groundbreaking Member

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

As much as people are down on him, Calvin Pace will be missed. He may not be a game changer or great in coverage but he has been consistent and reliable since he has been here.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season.

That is respectable production for his position.

All that being said, that was an outstanding write up by Jason.

Edited by ARodKeyWestJetsFan, 03 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

"The message to the rest of the league is, hey, the Jets are coming, and we're going to give you everything we've got, and that's going to be, I think, more than you can handle." - Rex Ryan, Head Coach N.Y. Jets

#11 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Calvin Pace is rank is the bottom of the league as far as productivity among 3-4 OLB. He's amongst the top in pass rushing attempts and the percentage of pressure/sacks he's provided where atrocious. Paying an elite players like Revis won't hurt your cap but players like Scott and Pace will. That's why I hate going after mid-tier talent in free agency as your going to have to pay them a premium and most of the type it's just horrible value.

#12 ARodJetsFan

ARodJetsFan

JetNation Original Groundbreaking Member

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Calvin Pace is rank is the bottom of the league as far as productivity among 3-4 OLB. He's amongst the top in pass rushing attempts and the percentage of pressure/sacks he's provided where atrocious. Paying an elite players like Revis won't hurt your cap but players like Scott and Pace will. That's why I hate going after mid-tier talent in free agency as your going to have to pay them a premium and most of the type it's just horrible value.

I don't really care where he is ranked (although I am curious where you are getting those statistics from), his roll in our defense is not the same as most protypical 3-4 OLB'ers, you can't argue with his production.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season and those numbers are straight off of his NFL.com players page.

Edited by ARodKeyWestJetsFan, 03 February 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

"The message to the rest of the league is, hey, the Jets are coming, and we're going to give you everything we've got, and that's going to be, I think, more than you can handle." - Rex Ryan, Head Coach N.Y. Jets

#13 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Calvin Pace wasn't a mid-tier FA that year, he was the top of the class. The Jets and fish were in something of a bidding war, and Tannenbaum wasn't one to ever lose out in a bidding war. Another big failing for him. A GM needs to be a smart talent evaluator, who's able to put a dollar value on these players - and then stick to it.

Paying Revis what he's rumored to want would be excessive under any circumstances, paying him coming off the ACL is way too risky to consider.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#14 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

The cap is navigable. Nice. But the roster is still loaded with dead weight that needs to be replaced, and it'll take more than a few mil in cap space to do that in the short term. Idzik has mentioned a few times the term "evolution of the roster," which is exciting because it indicates to me that he'll build in a way that doesn't require binge-and-purges the way Tannenbaum had. He's going to be aware of which players need to be paid and when, and which players to let walk, allowing for long-term foundation building instead of throwing money at old vets to come in and prop up the roster for two years.

...figures.

#15 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Calvin Pace wasn't a mid-tier FA that year, he was the top of the class. The Jets and fish were in something of a bidding war, and Tannenbaum wasn't one to ever lose out in a bidding war. Another big failing for him. A GM needs to be a smart talent evaluator, who's able to put a dollar value on these players - and then stick to it.

Paying Revis what he's rumored to want would be excessive under any circumstances, paying him coming off the ACL is way too risky to consider.

I find it hard to believe you would debate that Calvin Pace isn't a mid-tier talent even going back to when he was a free agent. If you do then I won't go back an forth and leave it as that.

#16 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I find it hard to believe you would debate that Calvin Pace isn't a mid-tier talent even going back to when he was a free agent. If you do then I won't go back an forth and leave it as that.

If you're saying that he was a mid tier talent that got overpriced because of the market, I can agree with that. But he was the top of the market, and it was our GM who chose to overpay. Lots of GM's knew not to.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#17 LAD_Brooklyn

LAD_Brooklyn

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I don't really care where he is ranked (although I am curious where you are getting those statistics from), his roll in our defense is not the same as most protypical 3-4 OLB'ers, you can't argue with his production.

In 5 seasons with the Jets, Pace has averaged 5.6 sacks, 47.4 solo tackles, and 2.4 forced fumbles per season and those numbers are straight off of his NFL.com players page.

So your saying you don't care about his stats, however you go on to show me stats. ***Shrugs***

Also to your main point " respectable production for his position". If a 3rd 4th rounder then I would agree. But not as a key, big time free agent. I'm pretty sure with the money we gave him many would have expect more from pace. If not then your just ok with mediocrity.

#18 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,521 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

just want to point out that deep down in this article, is the advice to give Mark Sanchez another 7 million dollar bonus.

If you're John Idzik that's probably not on your 'to do' items to talk to Woody about. Yeah Boss we need to pay mark Sanchez more money so we can dump him.

enough. Mark has gotten enough from this franchise. let him play this year and be done with it already.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Pace was paid like a mid teir starting DE/OLB and he produced like a mid tier starting quality LBer. His contract only became another whining point on the giant pile of whining points once Gholston proved to be 100% ineffective.

#20 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,521 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Pace was paid like a mid teir starting DE/OLB and he produced like a mid tier starting quality LBer. His contract only became another whining point on the giant pile of whining points once Gholston proved to be 100% ineffective.

the pace contract wasn't terrible but it's also time for him to move on. Garrett Mc is their only "starter" at OLB this is probably the year they go pass rusher early

#21 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I would look to bring back one of Pace/Scott on the cheap after cutting them.

#22 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

just want to point out that deep down in this article, is the advice to give Mark Sanchez another 7 million dollar bonus.

If you're John Idzik that's probably not on your 'to do' items to talk to Woody about. Yeah Boss we need to pay mark Sanchez more money so we can dump him.

enough. Mark has gotten enough from this franchise. let him play this year and be done with it already.

No. They suggest that $7M of his already guaranteed $8.25M could be converted into bonus money to ease the cap hit this year and maybe, possibly, make him a little tradeable. No new money.

But if you want to argue against the Jets having any potential cap room, feel free. Lol.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#23 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,521 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

No. They suggest that $7M of his already guaranteed $8.25M could be converted into bonus money to ease the cap hit this year and maybe, possibly, make him a little tradeable. No new money.

if there's no new money, why would he do it? im not being sarcastic just don't get why Mark would make life easier for the Jets, for free.

Edited by bitonti, 03 February 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#24 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

if there's no new money, why would he do it? im not being sarcastic just don't get why Mark would make life easier for the Jets, for free.

Because it doesn't hurt him. Instead of waiting to collect his money during the season, he'd get 90% of it up front. And if he's actually going to play QB for the team, freeing up some cap room to add players that might help him out on the field would also be an incentive.

If the Jets want nothing to do with him, and it helps him go somewhere that he is wanted, that's no so bad, either.

So yeah, lots of reasons. Starting with $7M in his pocket in March.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#25 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I bet people didn't read the part where it was assumed that Revis bolts the Jets though.

Meh, still not a necessary move to create some workable cap room over the next year+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users