•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who is ready for another Yankees championship season?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

Me.

Anyone else?

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#2 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yankees and Red Sox will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Neither team improved that much in the offseason.

#3 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Yankees and Red Sox will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Neither team improved that much in the offseason.

The Yankees play so well at home (lead MLB in home wins last year) if they play decent on the road, it will be hard for them to not make the playoffs. That said I am betting on them making it, they have concerns, Jeter's recovery scares me but I think the starting rotation keeps them in it even if they don't have a catcher.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#4 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

The Yankees play so well at home (lead MLB in home wins last year) if they play decent on the road, it will be hard for them to not make the playoffs. That said I am betting on them making it, they have concerns, Jeter's recovery scares me but I think the starting rotation keeps them in it even if they don't have a catcher.

All the Yankees did was get older and added no real improvements. The Rays, O's and Toronto all got significantly better. I wouldn't be shocked if neither Sox nor Yanks makes the playoffs. How the Yankees have done at home in the past means nothing for this next season.

#5 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

All the Yankees did was get older and added no real improvements. The Rays, O's and Toronto all got significantly better. I wouldn't be shocked if neither Sox nor Yanks makes the playoffs. How the Yankees have done at home in the past means nothing for this next season.

The Yankees have done well at home for recent history. They are bringing back the same starting rotation. It absolutely means something for this season.

#6 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Since when have the Yankees stood pat with the team they had in February? They haven't improved? Yet.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#7 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,607 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

The Yankees have done well at home for recent history. They are bringing back the same starting rotation. It absolutely means something for this season.

That's not a good thing. Pettitte and Kuroda are both 40 or near it. Nova and Hughes are very average if not below. How much longer can CC hold up? They are replacing A-Rod with Kevin Youkilis and Swisher with what? A full season of Ichiro who looked pretty old last season? If Jeter doesn't come back right on time that line-up becomes much less complete. All I am saying is don't be surprised if the Yankees finish 3rd or 4th. The AL East is as tough as it comes.

And yes #27, they could improve, if Steinbrenner gives Cashman some money to work with. Don't expect that though.

#8 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 15,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Yankees are the oldest team in MLB. At some point logic and MLB history dictates that's not going to be a good thing. Best case scenario is some young guys step up-Romine, perhaps Betances. And even better; somehow they get rid of Rodriguez an his contract once and for all. And win 85-90 games, which is probably the ceiling,
Objective-Santa Clara, California

Super Bowl 50-February 7th, 2015

#9 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's not a good thing. Pettitte and Kuroda are both 40 or near it. Nova and Hughes are very average if not below. How much longer can CC hold up? They are replacing A-Rod with Kevin Youkilis and Swisher with what? A full season of Ichiro who looked pretty old last season? If Jeter doesn't come back right on time that line-up becomes much less complete. All I am saying is don't be surprised if the Yankees finish 3rd or 4th. The AL East is as tough as it comes.

And yes #27, they could improve, if Steinbrenner gives Cashman some money to work with. Don't expect that though.

I just looked it up, out of the last 114 seasons the Yankees only missed the playoffs 2.3 times. I am going with history on this one,

Replacing ARod who produced nothing and seems done with Youk is a good thing though. Nova is trying to win the 5th starter spot, so that isn't a huge deal. Andy is rested and was excellent last year. CC is the one guy that if he breaks down can hurt their chances big time.

I am so glad Swisher is gone as well. He puts up decent regular season numbers but is invisible in the postseason. Seems to me like he is a good hitter against bad pitching.

At any rate...baseball is back! :)

#10 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

The Yankees are the oldest team in MLB. At some point logic and MLB history dictates that's not going to be a good thing. Best case scenario is some young guys step up-Romine, perhaps Betances. And even better; somehow they get rid of Rodriguez an his contract once and for all. And win 85-90 games, which is probably the ceiling,

Romine stepping up would be nice, I fear it is too soon for him though.

#11 T0mShane

T0mShane

Mark Sanchez is my spirit animal

• Members
  • 29,248 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

A: Not the Yankees
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#12 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,937 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

2021?
Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#13 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,357 posts
  • LocationClarksville, TN by way of New England

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I just looked it up, out of the last 114 seasons the Yankees only missed the playoffs 2.3 times. I am going with history on this one,

Replacing ARod who produced nothing and seems done with Youk is a good thing though. Nova is trying to win the 5th starter spot, so that isn't a huge deal. Andy is rested and was excellent last year. CC is the one guy that if he breaks down can hurt their chances big time.

I am so glad Swisher is gone as well. He puts up decent regular season numbers but is invisible in the postseason. Seems to me like he is a good hitter against bad pitching.

At any rate...baseball is back! :)

What? At best, it is a push. A-Rod's 'nothing' looks eerily similar to Youk's season...minus the almost 40 points in BA.

At best, for the Yankees and any team in the East, only a Division championship can be won this year. I would not be surprised if every team finished over .500, but with less than 88 wins.
Eagle Honors
"Our two most painful Patriots' losses ever, are sandwiched between two Manning family Superbowl victories. Talk about being the book of squandered opportunities between two butt hole bookends."
"I just wish they didn't get lucky when they selected that arrogant cleft-chinned, super-modeling banging prick in the sixth round out of Michigan. It's amazing how much I hate Mo Lewis now."

#14 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 59,022 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Rumors of the Yankees demise have been greatly exaggerated.

#15 GimmeShelter

GimmeShelter

NFL Alumni

• Members
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

What? At best, it is a push. A-Rod's 'nothing' looks eerily similar to Youk's season...minus the almost 40 points in BA.

At best, for the Yankees and any team in the East, only a Division championship can be won this year. I would not be surprised if every team finished over .500, but with less than 88 wins.

That's a little crazy to say if you mean no AL East team can win a play-off series.  Everyone in the division except the Bird's and the Sox IMO has a good enough roster to have a team that could be 10-15 games over at the trade deadline.  The Sox are not far off of that possiility as well.

The moves made at the trade deadline could easily change the entire outlook as to who is the favorite in the AL come post season.

I think Youk and Ichiro have big seasons but Swisher's power will be missed. Expect the Yanks to add a big at in July and send either Gardner or whomever is DHing to the bench.

February prediction:  Nats and Angels.

#16 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,520 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Yankees improved by A-rod missing 3+ months :D

The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/

#17 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,520 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

oldest?

the oldest team is the Reds or "Red Legs"

The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/

#18 Blackout

Blackout

go JETS

• Members
  • 33,520 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Since when have the Yankees stood pat with the team they had in February? They haven't improved? Yet.

Cano is in his prime son...watch him carry us

#19 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,357 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

That's a little crazy to say if you mean no AL East team can win a play-off series.  Everyone in the division except the Bird's and the Sox IMO has a good enough roster to have a team that could be 10-15 games over at the trade deadline.  The Sox are not far off of that possiility as well.

The moves made at the trade deadline could easily change the entire outlook as to who is the favorite in the AL come post season.

I think Youk and Ichiro have big seasons but Swisher's power will be missed. Expect the Yanks to add a big at in July and send either Gardner or whomever is DHing to the bench.

February prediction:  Nats and Angels.

They can if they face each other like they did last year.  ;)

I think the AL East is going to be a dog fight. 

I think the Yankees and Rays will continue their current string of play. 

I think the Orioles will still be good, but not as good as they were last year.  The law of averages will catch up to them in one run games. 

I think the Jays are better, but i am not entirely sold on their new 'all star' team.  It did not work for the Phiilles, Marlins or Sox.  They will be better though with better talent and a return to health.

As far as the Sox go, I think their pitching will be a lot better, but the offense remains to be seen. 

While 88 games might be low, with 76 division games on every teams schedule, I do not see a high 90 win total for anyone.  Again, just my humble opinion.

Eagle Honors
"Our two most painful Patriots' losses ever, are sandwiched between two Manning family Superbowl victories. Talk about being the book of squandered opportunities between two butt hole bookends."
"I just wish they didn't get lucky when they selected that arrogant cleft-chinned, super-modeling banging prick in the sixth round out of Michigan. It's amazing how much I hate Mo Lewis now."

#20 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 15,076 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Cano is in his prime son...watch him carry us

Cano's 2 best pals-Melky Cabrera and Alex Rodriguez. I don't much care, but jump to your own conclusions.  Further the guy pulled a Claude Rains in the playoffs. Think his contract situation (he's repped by Boras)  will get ugly. In short if you had to pick a guy  not to pin your hopes to it's Cano. 

Objective-Santa Clara, California

Super Bowl 50-February 7th, 2015

#21 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,357 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Cano's 2 best pals-Melky Cabrera and Alex Rodriguez. I don't much care, but jump to your own conclusions.  Further the guy pulled a Claude Rains in the playoffs. Think his contract situation (he's repped by Boras)  will get ugly. In short if you had to pick a guy  not to pin your hopes to it's Cano. 

What choice do the Yankees have? 

It is not like they have an abundance of talent on the farm that can step in tomorrow...or 2014 that can hit .300 with 20+ HRs.  He is really the only one on the current roster that can do it.

At the very least the Yankees know what they have in Cano.

Eagle Honors

#22 JetPotato

JetPotato

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

LOL.

The Yankees finished 26 games ahead of the last place Red Sox in 2012.  To imply that they're in similar boats is beyond absurd.

The Sox have since regressed, while the rest of the division improved.

#23 PFSIKH

PFSIKH

Patriots' Paradigm CEO

• Members
  • 19,357 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

LOL.

The Yankees finished 26 games ahead of the last place Red Sox in 2012.  To imply that they're in similar boats is beyond absurd.

The Yankees are older.  The Sox got rid of Bobby.

The boats are closer than you think.

Eagle Honors

#24 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

LOL.

The Yankees haven't improved.

Tank for Teddy.

#25 JetPotato

JetPotato

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

The Yankees are older.  The Sox got rid of Bobby.

The boats are closer than you think.

Sorry, but you're way off the mark again.

26 games is an enormous gap.  

Bobby V was not the primary reason the Sox sucked last year.  It was the players.  They've replaced Adrian Gonzalez with Mike Napoli, Mike Aviles with Stephen Drew, and Cody Ross with Shane Victorino.  Meanwhile, in the rotation, you've replaced Beckett and Cook with Lackey and Dempster.  LOL at "improvement".  If you believe that's going to close a 26 game gap, you don't pay attention much to this game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users