Veteran QB free agents?

O23

Now that Garrard is done (no real surprise there) is there any other veteran QBs out there that we could bring in to win the job? At least for the beginning of the season while Geno works on some mechanics before being thrown into the fire.  I mean there has to be someone that could come in and beat Sanchez out for the spot and give Geno a couple weeks to get his feet under him before he becomes the starter.

Best guy out there simply because he has experience and knows the system is probably Trent Edwards but that should tell you everything you need to know about the FA QB market right now.

Ok. That certainly isn't a positive sign.  What about Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Did he sign anywhere yet?  I know he is far from special when it comes to QBs but I guarantee he would be better than Sanchez.

....any other veteran QBs out there that we could bring in to win the job? At least for the beginning of the season while Geno works on some mechanics before being thrown into the fire.

How well does that work, though?  It sounds like a good idea until you see the guy running your team and you realize why his old team figured he was done.

It sort of worked for the Giants because the discarded old vet they picked up was Kurt Warner, who was not that highly rated at the time.  The Giants went 5-3 under Warner but then started Eli because it looked like the offense had started to sputter.  But I think you'll agree Warner was not your typical old veteran QB.

The guy I'm thinking of was Doug Pederson, who Philadelphia traded for to give Donovan McNabb a chance to sit for half a season.  Pederson went 2-7 and looked lousy before they finally brought in Donovan McNabb.  Everybody wondered what the Eagles were thinking not starting McNabb from the beginning.

The old vet idea usually doesn't work out too well.

Ok. That certainly isn't a positive sign.  What about Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Did he sign anywhere yet?  I know he is far from special when it comes to QBs but I guarantee he would be better than Sanchez.

Fitzmagic signed with the Titans.  Also, Fitzpatrick often got outplayed by Sanchez when the faced each other.

How well does that work, though?  It sounds like a good idea until you see the guy running your team and you realize why his old team figured he was done.

It sort of worked for the Giants because the discarded old vet they picked up was Kurt Warner, who was not that highly rated at the time.  The Giants went 5-3 under Warner but then started Eli because it looked like the offense had started to sputter.  But I think you'll agree Warner was not your typical old veteran QB.

The guy I'm thinking of was Doug Pederson, who Philadelphia traded for to give Donovan McNabb a chance to sit for half a season.  Pederson went 2-7 and looked lousy before they finally brought in Donovan McNabb.  Everybody wondered what the Eagles were thinking not starting McNabb from the beginning.

The old vet idea usually doesn't work out too well.

These are definitely good points. 

I think we all as fans agree it would be nice to see Geno come out slinging and everything works great, I just believe as I'm sure many others do that it is gonna be BRUTAL.  I don't want to see the fans turn on Geno quickly because he can't make an inept offense run smoothly as an unpolished rookie.

You're prob right that the old vet move most likely won't work but at least it puts the blame somewhere else for part of the season before Geno steps in and can be looked at as the "savior" so to speak.  But above everything if Trent Edwards is the best option this discussion is pointless.

Fitzmagic signed with the Titans.  Also, Fitzpatrick often got outplayed by Sanchez when the faced each other.

Yea I was just throwing him out there as an example but I guess that's off the table now anyway.

Charlie Batch is the perfect choice-----

1 he has a ton of experience in the NFL 1A He started as a young black qb in the NFL, he can relate to Geno

2.he's coming from a winning organization with a winning attitude. 3. he can still play,

last year he beat the world champs--Ravens 4. he's not ambitious to start he'll
be a team/ Geno player----look for the Jets to sign this guy soon after they cut Sanchez

1 he has a ton of experience in the NFL 1A He started as a young black qb in the NFL, he can relate to Geno

2.he's coming from a winning organization with a winning attitude. 3. he can still play,

be a team/ Geno player----look for the Jets to sign this guy soon after they cut Sanchez

They aren't cutting Sanchez and they aren't signing Charlie Batch.

There are no FA QB that going to lead the Jets to the playoffs , let stand with our terrible QB's and maybe we find our QB in next years draft , it going to be a long season but that is Jet football make a good playoff run every 10 years , we have to wait only 8 more years for the next one

Ummmm...common sense?

I spelled that out for you--I even typed it for you real slow--but I guess we will just have to wait and see---Im not here to fight with people---I got ran out 2 years ago for saying  Mark Sanchez = Kyle Boller   the local mob came after me---we know how that turned out.

I spelled that out for you--I even typed it for you real slow--but I guess we will just have to wait and see---Im not here to fight with people---I got ran out 2 years ago for saying Mark Sanchez = Kyle Boller the local mop came after me---we know how that turned out.

The local mop is dicks.

It was nice to see Batch win, but can he still play?   He wasn't exactly that good last year when he did.  1 TD & 4 INTs in a couple of games.    He's been a 3rd stringer for awhile for a reason.  Good guy to have around,  but he wasn't all that good when he could play in 2002, much less in 2013.     

I sometimes think fans just hear of some has been or never was and think "great sign them they are better than what the Jets have"  and don't really know anything about these players besides some stats and a youtube video.   Batch is a nice guy, can be a 3rd stringer, but if the jets signed him and Smith couldn't beat him out,  Smith probably is going to be a bust.   And what makes anybody think Batch would actually beat Sanchez?  As bad as Sanchez is, Batch isn't exactly that good and he sure isn't young.    

It's funny hearing all these names thrown out there.  Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Batch, etc as if any of these players are better than Sanchez.  Sanchez is terrible, but none of those names mentioned are any better.    A month ago everybody was proclaiming Garrard was going to be the starter.  Again more of the BS thought process.   The guy hasn't played in a few years for a reason.   The fact he 'retired' in May instead of August is the only shocker.  Anybody that actually things any of these guys are any good are just desperate to think anybody is better than Sanchez.  And as bad as Sanchez is, these guys are where they are for a reason.  And it's not because they are any good.

raise the beer 25 cents---sanchez is a negative magnet ---Rex just about and came out and told everybody he is gone with his OTA presser.

I wouldn't get so excited just yet. It's obvious getting past Mark is difficult for Rex, I mean the tattoo removal alone is going to be a bitch.

raise the beer 25 cents---sanchez is a negative magnet ---Rex just about and came out and told everybody he is gone with his OTA presser.

If they wanted to cut Sanchez, they would have cut him back in Jan.  At this point they are paying him some bonus money to be in camp.  And 8.25 million this season.  

Nobody is going to trade for him and pay him that money, and we all know how Woody operates.     The only reason Sanchez is still here is money.  And nobody wants him.

So it'll be Sanchez vs Smith and probably Sanchez to start the season.     People just can't accept this as reality.     

Fitzy may suck too, but not nearly as badly as Sanchez.  The real difference there was Jets D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bills D.

Obviously it's not even an option, so it's kind of irrelevant, but just saying.

If they wanted to cut Sanchez, they would have cut him back in Jan.  At this point they are paying him some bonus money to be in camp.  And 8.25 million this season.  

Nobody is going to trade for him and pay him that money, and we all know how Woody operates.     The only reason Sanchez is still here is money.  And nobody wants him.

So it'll be Sanchez vs Smith and probably Sanchez to start the season.     People just can't accept this as reality.     

Not quite January, but if they wanted him gone they would have done it before he started earned all of the extra bonus money he is now, which would make him only more expensive to cut.  If anything, if the Jets wanted to send him packing, they would have done it early in the league year and designated him a June 1st cut.  The only chance there is of Sanchez going anywhere this year would be if some team decides they're interested in trading something for him (although obviously not much) as long as the Jets eat a big chunk of this year's salary.  I don't see it happening

I spelled that out for you--I even typed it for you real slow--but I guess we will just have to wait and see---Im not here to fight with people---I got ran out 2 years ago for saying  Mark Sanchez = Kyle Boller   the local mob came after me---we know how that turned out.

Not fighting w ya bruh....Sanchez sucks but they ain't cutting him. And c'mon...charlie batch?!?!

Whatever happened to Kevin O'Connell? Did he retire with all those millions Tannenbaum gave him to do nothing?

There is actually no way to compute the odds that a QB who was cut by Belichick and then picked up by Tannenbaum would be good.  Zero % chance of that happening.

It was nice to see Batch win, but can he still play?   He wasn't exactly that good last year when he did.  1 TD & 4 INTs in a couple of games.    He's been a 3rd stringer for awhile for a reason.  Good guy to have around,  but he wasn't all that good when he could play in 2002, much less in 2013.     

I sometimes think fans just hear of some has been or never was and think "great sign them they are better than what the Jets have"  and don't really know anything about these players besides some stats and a youtube video.   Batch is a nice guy, can be a 3rd stringer, but if the jets signed him and Smith couldn't beat him out,  Smith probably is going to be a bust.   And what makes anybody think Batch would actually beat Sanchez?  As bad as Sanchez is, Batch isn't exactly that good and he sure isn't young.    

It's funny hearing all these names thrown out there.  Fitzpatrick, Edwards, Batch, etc as if any of these players are better than Sanchez.  Sanchez is terrible, but none of those names mentioned are any better.    A month ago everybody was proclaiming Garrard was going to be the starter.  Again more of the BS thought process.   The guy hasn't played in a few years for a reason.   The fact he 'retired' in May instead of August is the only shocker.  Anybody that actually things any of these guys are any good are just desperate to think anybody is better than Sanchez.  And as bad as Sanchez is, these guys are where they are for a reason.  And it's not because they are any good.

He probably would have at least deserved to start if he made it through camp.  Who knows if Rex is going to actually be able to make the call to bench Sanchez but Garrard would have absolutely been a smarter choice based on fewer turnovers alone.

Here's the list of free agent QB's:

Tim Tebow

Charlie Batch

Derek Anderson

Trent Edwards

Byron Leftwich

Vince Young

Tyler Thigpen

Matt Leinart

Thaddeus Lewis

Jordan Palmer

Josh Portis

Alex Tanney

Sad to say but Sanchez is probably better than anyone on the market right now.  Its that bad.  We'd have to trade 2014 picks to acquire a starting-caliber QB, and what would that accomplish?  We all want to see Geno on the field, not some guy we're forcing onto the field because we gave up a 3rd round pick to get him.

The best option is to stay put and let Geno win the competition over Sanchez.  Keep Simms and McElroy and hope some team loses their QB and wants Sanchez.

With the current market and the Jets needs, I can't really see them picking up another vet. Hopefully Smith will spend a lot of time watching Sanchez and learning what NOT to do. Also quite useful, really.

Call Brett Favre! What's he doing between sexual harassment charges and jeans commercials?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/sports/football/lawsuit-against-brett-favre-by-two-women-settled.html?_r=0

A lawsuit filed by two massage therapists who sued the retired N.F.L. quarterback Brett Favre over claims he sent racy text messages has been settled, a lawyer for the women said. The lawyer, David Jaroslawicz, would not comment on the settlement. Christina Scavo and Shannon O’Toole said in a lawsuit that in 2008, while Favre was playing for the Jets, they lost their part-time jobs with the team after complaining that he sent suggestive texts to another therapist.

Archived