Mafia forum off season chat thread

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I don't know if I like the fact that he already told us the game has lovers. And how queer the reason is.

Literally everyone will have a lover partner, that is the gimmick.

I can also say that when your partner dies you don't necessarily die the very next phase it will vary from pair to pair (or maybe individual to individual haven't decided yet).

• 3 weeks later...
What does everyone think of the return of the XFL as a serious alternative to the NFL?

Meh. The NFL sucks, but I’m not sure another league would be all that enticing. If it were, there’d be a ton of CFL fans out there. Even if you could do away with all the things that make the NFL sh*tty, you still need supremely talented players to make it work. 

College Football does a good enough job of providing an alternative, and I don’t think having a football league play in the middle of the NFL offseason makes much difference either. By the time a traditional football season is over, many/most are fine with a break.

What really needs to happen is a developmental league tied to the NFL franchises, similar to what NFL Europe provided, except there would be 32 teams. It would be a true minor league for talented college players who aren’t quite ready for the NFL when they’re done at school. Basically, the D/G-League model that the NBA has. The teams could share college stadiums and/or be put in cities like El Paso, San Diego, Orlando, Charleston, Savannah, San Antonio, etc.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh. The NFL sucks, but I’m not sure another league would be all that enticing. If it were, there’d be a ton of CFL fans out there. Even if you could do away with all the things that make the NFL sh*tty, you still need supremely talented players to make it work. 

College Football does a good enough job of providing an alternative, and I don’t think having a football league play in the middle of the NFL offseason makes much difference either. By the time a traditional football season is over, many/most are fine with a break.

What really needs to happen is a developmental league tied to the NFL franchises, similar to what NFL Europe provided, except there would be 32 teams. It would be a true minor league for talented college players who aren’t quite ready for the NFL when they’re done at school. Basically, the D/G-League model that the NBA has. The teams could share college stadiums and/or be put in cities like El Paso, San Diego, Orlando, Charleston, Savannah, San Antonio, etc.

Do you think there aren't enough talented players to go around?

Does the political aspect (standing vs kneeling for anthem) do anything for you? Either turn you off or make you more interested in one league or another? Or no difference?

Do you think there aren't enough talented players to go around?  

Does the political aspect (standing vs kneeling for anthem) do anything for you? Either turn you off or make you more interested in one league or another? Or no difference?

Yes. There’s no international pipeline, so the NFL is fully dependent on youth leagues, High Schools and Colleges to provide the talent pool. And with more and more kids playing other sports due to brain injury fears, the talent pool is, very slowly, starting to dwindle.

The political aspect only bothered me to the extent that I didn’t like how the NFL handled it. The NBA had players speaking out but didn’t have the same problems the league did. I’m also biased, because my fiancé is black as I mentioned already, and is very outspoken. She actually refused to watch any NFL games this season. I’ve told her before that I believe in always standing for the anthem, but also believe that a great thing about this country is that she has the right to sit or kneel if she so chooses. I also believe in what the Declaration of Independence says about equality, even if this country has never truly lived it out.

I’ll leave it at that out of respect for the rules of the board.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes. There’s no international pipeline, so the NFL is fully dependent on youth leagues, High Schools and Colleges to provide the talent pool. And with more and more kids playing other sports due to brain injury fears, the talent pool is, very slowly, starting to dwindle.

The political aspect only bothered me to the extent that I didn’t like how the NFL handled it. The NBA had players speaking out but didn’t have the same problems the league did. I’m also biased, because my fiancé is black as I mentioned already, and is very outspoken. She actually refused to watch any NFL games this season. I’ve told her before that I believe in always standing for the anthem, but also believe that a great thing about this country is that she has the right to sit or kneel if she so chooses. I also believe in what the Declaration of Independence says about equality, even if this country has never truly lived it out.

I’ll leave it at that out of respect for the rules of the board.

For my part I feel that NFL players are generally very well paid for their time. We all have opinions and pet issues and even some we believe are life or death. But when you're at work it is not the time for activism. You do it on your own time in your own space. So it's not so much that I'm outraged some players won't stand for the anthem I just feel it's the wrong place and time. You don't go to work and do your own thing you do your job.

Then again I barely watch football anyway so it doesn't effect me much anyway.

For my part I feel that NFL players are generally very well paid for their time. We all have opinions and pet issues and even some we believe are life or death. But when you're at work it is not the time for activism. You do it on your own time in your own space. So it's not so much that I'm outraged some players won't stand for the anthem I just feel it's the wrong place and time. You don't go to work and do your own thing you do your job.   Then again I barely watch football anyway so it doesn't effect me much anyway.

I can understand that. Right mindset by the players, but wrong place and wrong time to exercise their right to express it. Mostly it just ended up being polarizing and didn’t win the kind of support they were looking for. Though it did start conversations that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

The closest thing NBA players have done is wear t-shirts during pre-game warmups that express their views. But when it’s gametime, they stand for the anthem and it’s all business.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if that were true, I don't care.  Pats have had the advantage for years.  In the AFC Title Game and Super Bowl, the Patriots were called for two penalties COMBINED. 

I can't speak to that but all I know is this game was rigged and they almost won it anyway. Even the announcers were talking about it. I recall one saying they need to change the rules on what counts as a receiver or a runner or something along those lines. If you have a subjective rule your game is ****ed up.