2015 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductees

faba

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody noticed that the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame has this kind of morbid habit of picking deceased artists. They vote in artists like Lou Reed and Frank Zappa right after they die? And what about the Paul Butterfield Blues Band? The namesake of the band died of a drug overdose almost 30 years ago. And the other key member Mike Bloomfield was found dead in his car of an OD or was mudered. Nobody is really sure. How about picking somebody who's still alive? Someone who can actually get to the gig.

Another one who inexplicably gets no love from the R&R HoF idiots. Which reminds me, how the hell is Thin Lizzy not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? You don't get more rock and roll than Thin Lizzy.

Because of where they are from. American critics think that everything from England is perfect. Whereas they puke on artists like Grand Funk and Foreigner because they had the luck to be American. Oh and Led Zeppelin is so fing overrated and plageristic.

I'm not a fan of Chicago either, but I always liked the guitar solo in "25 or 6 to 4." (Ironically, Green Day "borrowed" the riff in "Brain Stew.") Those dudes from Chicago can play, ya gotta give 'em that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiuMkGCOC4

Exactly my point, Klacko sounds like an under-cultured "rock" fan that buys his CD's at Walmart. 

Because of where they are from. American critics think that everything from England is perfect. Whereas they puke on artists like Grand Funk and Foreigner because they had the luck to be American. Oh and Led Zeppelin is so fing overrated and plageristic.

Rory Gallagher and Thin Lizzy are Irish.

And Zeppelin were awesome. 

Exactly my point, Klacko sounds like an under-cultured "rock" fan that buys his CD's at Walmart. 

They can play. That's awesome. A lot of people can play. That doesn't mean they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Does anyone great cite Chicago as a major influence? Chicago themselves sold out once they realized they could make more money writing ballads than songs like 25 or 6 to 4 and Make Me Smile (which is by far the best Chicago song ever and includes a sick guitar solo by Terry Kath.)

They can play. That's awesome. A lot of people can play. That doesn't mean they belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Does anyone great cite Chicago as a major influence? Chicago themselves sold out once they realized they could make more money writing ballads than songs like 25 or 6 to 4 and Make Me Smile (which is by far the best Chicago song ever and includes a sick guitar solo by Terry Kath.)

Perhaps you missed my remark about the relevancy of the hall of fame? 

I'm not arguing they belong in it, I'm arguing that you analysis of them is short-sighted. It is. It's fine, there's plenty of bands I think suck, for no specific reason.

Hall of Fame worthy or not, I can't fault Chicago for ditching the rock tracks to focus on pussy love songs. I would have done the same thing. At the point in time when Chicago, Journey and those guys found major success, a band could either focus on arena ballads, make millions and dive into the deep end of a coochie sandwich every night, or they could "refuse to compromise their artistic integrity" and spend their formative years playing an airport Holiday Inn. Seems like an easy choice.

Saw Priest a couple of months ago on that same tour. I'd no problem with them playing four or five songs of the new album - it's a good album, and since they're touring to promote that album I'd expect to hear a bunch of songs from it.

If they were to do a tour in a couple of years, without recording a new album, then I'd expect a lot more old stuff.

Like with what Maiden do - they do a tour for an album they'll lean on the new album. Hell, I remember the time they did A Matter of Life and Death in its entirety on that tour.

But Maiden also do those nostalgia tours where they pick a certain time period and play nothing but that era's material.

Only issue I had about Priest's show was they totally ignored Painkiller era stuff. Maybe they figured it was too heavy for the Point of Entry people... :biggrin:

Oh, and the support act they chose were utter s**t - but the audience seemed to love them.

Good friend I went with is a way bigger metalhead thaN me and he had the same complaint.

The supporting act was "Steel Panther". More like PVC Housecat. Did get a chuckle out of one song called "Glory Hole" but they were mostly awful.

Like bands like AC/DC; if we're gonna charge top dollar, you'll get a few new songs sprinkled in but mostly the hits. In understand these guys are probably tired of playing songs from a few decades ago, but that pays the bills. And Priest was still a good show.

No. I am arguing that they be need to be taken more seriously by critics. And as for Zeppelin you know what I think. A person can have an opinion you know.

No, they don't because they are sh*tty bands. Grand Funk (the better of the two) played rudimentary schlock and are only influential in that they influenced a generation of other sh*tty copycats.  Foreigner is the definition of lame corporate rock. 

I'm not a fan of Chicago either, but I always liked the guitar solo in "25 or 6 to 4." (Ironically, Green Day "borrowed" the riff in "Brain Stew.") Those dudes from Chicago can play, ya gotta give 'em that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiuMkGCOC4

Just saw your post.  You wanna hear borrowing?  Listen to Led Zep's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (at about 3:53), then let me know if you hear a familiar riff.

Just saw your post.  You wanna hear borrowing?  Listen to Led Zep's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (at about 3:53), then let me know if you hear a familiar riff.

Lol nice. I'm not a big Zep fan so I've never heard that song before.

Here's one more I can think of off the top of my head that has that similar riff in it (I'm sure there are more):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm7vnOC4hoY

We could probably do an entire thread about bands ripping each other off.

Hall of Fame worthy or not, I can't fault Chicago for ditching the rock tracks to focus on pussy love songs. I would have done the same thing. At the point in time when Chicago, Journey and those guys found major success, a band could either focus on arena ballads, make millions and dive into the deep end of a coochie sandwich every night, or they could "refuse to compromise their artistic integrity" and spend their formative years playing an airport Holiday Inn. Seems like an easy choice.

I would also add to this that AT THAT TIME the term "selling out" wasn't as pervasive in the conversation about music. Bands could evolve (or devolve) over time and it was called "growth" or "experimentation", it was only in the '90's when this idea that everything be compartmentalized into a genre and bands be labeled as "selling out" if they cut a track that sounds different than the last one. 

I don't blame the band, I blame the consumer. American's need to self-identify through product so badly, it hasn't always been that way. 

Lol nice. I'm not a big Zep fan so I've never heard that song before.

Here's one more I can think of off the top of my head that has that similar riff in it (I'm sure there are more):

I'm a Zep Head from way back.  Their first album blew me away.  Totally different sound from what was happening in 1969.

As for ripping off riffs, that's just rock & roll.  So much of it is derived from the blues and African roots music.  You can't help but run into similar chord progressions or licks.

Exactly.

It's very hard for me to take Klacko's point of view seriously when his foundational arguments are "they suck" and "lame corporate rock". He sounds like he was raised on MTV vee-jay speak from the 90's when attaching one's self to a music genre started being taken way too ******* seriously. He's speaking in clichés about music he ironically thinks is cliché.

Exactly.

It's very hard for me to take Klacko's point of view seriously when his foundational arguments are "they suck" and "lame corporate rock". He sounds like he was raised on MTV vee-jay speak from the 90's when attaching one's self to a music genre started being taken way too ******* seriously. He's speaking in clichés about music he ironically thinks is cliché.

It's very hard for me to ever take you seriously about anything.  :Loveheart:

My comments about Chicago are based on my personal experience. The vast majority of people I know who like Chicago, like Chicago. They don't love Chicago. They also don't love any other kind of music. They are not people who are passionate about music in any way. I personally find Chicago to be perfectly fine, bland and inoffensive music. I don't really have anything against it. I also don't have any particular love for it. 

To me, the worst kinds of music are boring, derivative, unoriginal rock from any era, be it Foreigner, Creed, Nickelback or any of that ilk and smooth jazz/new age. That sh*t has the opposite of its intended effect on me. It is supposed to be soothing but its so ******* awful it makes me angry. 

It's very hard for me to ever take you seriously about anything.  :Loveheart:

My comments about Chicago are based on my personal experience. The vast majority of people I know who like Chicago, like Chicago. They don't love Chicago. They also don't love any other kind of music. They are not people who are passionate about music in any way. I personally find Chicago to be perfectly fine, bland and inoffensive music. I don't really have anything against it. I also don't have any particular love for it. 

To me, the worst kinds of music are boring, derivative, unoriginal rock from any era, be it Foreigner, Creed, Nickelback or any of that ilk and smooth jazz/new age. That sh*t has the opposite of its intended effect on me. It is supposed to be soothing but its so ******* awful it makes me angry. 

All I hear you doing here is perpetuating self-identity by advocating against something you don't think represents you. It's not really a discussion of what is good, bad or anything, it's what you like and how you want to be perceived.

You've moved from "they don't belong in the RRHOF" to "they suck" to "people who like Chicago have no passion for music". It's not about the band, it's about what you are associating the band with. Totally a fair thing to do, but I think it convolutes the discussion of whether or not they were a relevant rock band in their day. They were. They actually bucked some of the trends of the time, which is what rock and roll is all about, no? 

Their musicianship was top notch. Their songwriting was excellent. They just happen to come from a time in rock where the words and music reflect a very pacified popular culture. Sure, this means it sounds bland to us today, but at the time, it was where rock and roll was at... and frankly, that's a good thing as every generation informs the next, Chicago was part of a transitional era of rock that exposed its soft underbelly. 

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion. I think debating RR HOF worthiness is pretty much obsolete. A band doesn't have a multi-generational fanbase without connecting to people, they just didn't connect with you. No biggie.

The Pixies do not gargle balls.

I didn;t say that. But I wont entirely pass judgement on them yet since I have yet to listen to or ever heard of a Pixies song ever.

The Pixies are one of the most influential bands of all time. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a great guitar player but when you turn on the radio do you hear his influence ever? He was derivative and didn't do anything new or groundbreaking. 

Of all time? Maybe in the alternative music genre, which I don't have the patience to weed through who is good and who is not. If they helped influence Radiohead then I think I'll pass.

It tried to listen to Radiohead, I really did, I just couldn't get it. 

The Pixies do not gargle balls.

I didn't say that. I'll reserve judgement on them since I have yet to listen to a single Pixies song. 

Of all time? Maybe in the alternative music genre, which I don't have the patience to weed through who is good and who is not. If they helped influence Radiohead then I think I'll pass.

It tried to listen to Radiohead, I really did, I just couldn't get it. 

Without The Pixies, there would be no Nirvana.

I really liked Radiohead's first album, Pablo Honey. The rest of it, for me, was meh.

Archived