NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

I know what Glennon is and it's not what I want in a QB. I don't know want Geno is yet. Whatever the Jets decide, I will fall in line with until I get enough information to make up my own mind.

So you know what glennon is in 19 games but need more time with geno in 30. interesting. let's assume they are equal, geno has sucked for nearly twice as long as glennon--that alone should tell you glennon has a better chance of non suck in the future.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you know what glennon is in 19 games but need more time with geno in 30. interesting. let's assume they are equal, geno has sucked for nearly twice as long as glennon--that alone should tell you glennon has a better chance of non suck in the future.

Look, I want get into a big debate about this. Glennon played in a pro set offense at NC State, came into the NFL, sat for a short time, got his chance and proved to everyone what he was. Geno Smith played in a gimmicky offense at WV, came into the NFL and got thrown to the wolves by a moron.

Look, I want get into a big debate about this. Glennon played in a pro set offense at NC State, came into the NFL, sat for a short time, got his chance and proved to everyone what he was. Geno Smith played in a gimmicky offense at WV, came into the NFL and got thrown to the wolves by a moron.

geno smith is himself a moron, which is something that can't be fixed

A 2nd or 3rd round pick for a QB who only Jet fans want. It warms the cold areas of my heart that none of you mooks will have anything to do with the formation of the Jets roster.

Me and you both.  If Glennon was half as good as some think, and with all the qb needy teams out there, he would already have been traded. I mean those teams do have scouts who do this stuff for a living and are bound to know at least as much or more then us internet experts.   That said, if he can be had for a 4th or a 3rd (we get back maybe a 6th or something in that scenario) I am all for it.   I mean we got freaking Brandon Marshall, warts and all, for just a 5th.  

Me and you both.  If Glennon was half as good as some think, and with all the qb needy teams out there, he would already have been traded. I mean those teams do have scouts who do this stuff for a living and are bound to know at least as much or more then us internet experts.   That said, if he can be had for a 4th or a 3rd (we get back maybe a 6th or something in that scenario) I am all for it.   I mean we got freaking Brandon Marshall, warts and all, for just a 5th.  

Is a 30-something y/o WR a fair comparison to a 20-something young QB for a team that hasn't had consistent quality QB play in several decades?

Dear God.  The kid is on a team that needs a QB and they don't to play him.  Teams that are certifiably desperate for QBs passed on him and elected to use the resources they could easily have gotten him with on Logan Thomas and Johnny Manziel.  The fact that those guys sucked is not in Glennon's favor.  I have said repeatedly that I don't have a problem with Glennon as a prospect, but IMO he is no clear cut savior or even clear cut above Geno.

Lovie Smith is still there.  Coaches do get fired after one year - that is how Pettine got there in Cleveland to ask about Glennon.. I don't see how any of it relates to "good faith"  It's not like Lovie realized the error of his ways when he moved on from McCown.  Now he is probably drafting a QB #! overall.  I get you guys like Glennon, but a 2nd is high IMO and he is a competition guy, there is no way on God's green earth you hand him the job.  .

You know whats in Glennon's Favor? The numbers. 

Comparison of every starting Tampa QB since Glennon has been in the league:

Josh Freeman/Josh McCown

Games: 14

Yards: 2777

Comp%: 53.9

TD's: 13

Int's: 17

Fumbles: 10

RAT: 64.9

Mike Glennon

Games: 19

Yards: 4,025

Comp%: 58.8

TD's: 29

Int's: 15

Fumbles: 4

RAT: 83.7

The stats obviously show that #1. Josh McCown should have been benched just like Josh Freeman and #2, for a guy that plays for an organization that is on a mission to derail him, Mike Glennon has been the best QB on the Bucs and is statistically better than every QB you've mentioned. 

Your continuous comparison of teams deciding to go with other QB's who became failures may not be in Glennon's favor but it surely isn't some sort of demerit as you try to use it. In one breath you talk about how all of these teams passed on him, but when I shed light on how those decisions didnt amount to anything then suddenly it doesnt count? So I suppose it only works when you want to use it in order to make it seem like "hey, look at the mediocre QB's that teams decided to go with over Glennon". And I never called him a savior, I simply said that he looks like he can be a top 15 QB in this league. That level of play could push us over the top. 

What I do find a bit funny, and I will throw Geno in the mix as well, is that none of the QB's that were either former Tampa QB's, Geno with the Jets or Manziel, Hoyer & Thomas combined can even show stats that even come close to Glennon. And as far as Geno, Manziel, Hoyer and Thomas goes, these are guys that actually have solid offensive linemen. D'Brick, Mangold, Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Alex Mack, Jared Veldheer, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Cooper. 

Further more, Geno Smith had the 3rd best rushing attack in the league, was the outright starter and lost his job to Mike Vick (Geno has had a top 5 type rushing attack since he's been in the league). Though Cleveland had the 17th ranked rushing attack, however, the Browns ranked #4 in rushing TD's. Meanwhile, outside of Logan Mankins, Glennons entire Oline are totally replaceable, ranking #1 in penalties. The Bucs rushing attack ranked 29th in rushing and 27th in rushing TD's (Bucs ranked 22nd in rushing and 31st in rushing TD's in his rookie year). 

Now, if Glennon was to be traded to the Jets I really would expect for them to compete for the job. However, my personal opinion is that your statement regarding Glennon not being clear cut better than Geno, based on what I just provided, is a joke. 

Is a 30-something y/o WR a fair comparison to a 20-something young QB for a team that hasn't had consistent quality QB play in several decades?

Yes because he is proven and still has several good years ahead of him and the 20 something can't even start for the worst team in the league.  Those are the facts.   I mean Tenn has Mettenberger who some think is good enough to allow them to pass on Mariota (I think they will take him).   If Glennon is such a stud why would Tampa consider taking a qb like Winston with all his red flags when they can either trade down and get more picks to build around him or take Leonard Williams to bolster the defense?  I know Lovie and the GM are both idiots in the eyes of this board and don't know what they are doing, which may be the case.   What is it that they have against this Kid that they won't give him a legitimate shot at the job?  I don't know but it makes me wonder; again maybe they are just that stupid when it is all said and done.   

Lastly we are not the only team that needs a qb or had lousy qb play the last number of years.  I know you are desperate for a qb but you never make decisions that can effect the future based desperation because more often than not it will blow up in your face.  I have been a Jet fan for over 40 years so feel your pain.  If we can get Glennon for a reasonable price fine but lets not sell the farm for him.   

You know whats in Glennon's Favor? The numbers. 

Comparison of every starting Tampa QB since Glennon has been in the league:

Josh Freeman/Josh McCown

Games: 14

Yards: 2777

Comp%: 53.9

TD's: 13

Int's: 17

Fumbles: 10

RAT: 64.9

Mike Glennon

Games: 19

Yards: 4,025

Comp%: 58.8

TD's: 29

Int's: 15

Fumbles: 4

RAT: 83.7

The stats obviously show that #1. Josh McCown should have been benched just like Josh Freeman and #2, for a guy that plays for an organization that is on a mission to derail him, Mike Glennon has been the best QB on the Bucs and is statistically better than every QB you've mentioned. 

Your continuous comparison of teams deciding to go with other QB's who became failures may not be in Glennon's favor but it surely isn't some sort of demerit as you try to use it. In one breath you talk about how all of these teams passed on him, but when I shed light on how those decisions didnt amount to anything then suddenly it doesnt count? So I suppose it only works when you want to use it in order to make it seem like "hey, look at the mediocre QB's that teams decided to go with over Glennon". And I never called him a savior, I simply said that he looks like he can be a top 15 QB in this league. That level of play could push us over the top. 

What I do find a bit funny, and I will throw Geno in the mix as well, is that none of the QB's that were either former Tampa QB's, Geno with the Jets or Manziel, Hoyer & Thomas combined can even show stats that even come close to Glennon. And as far as Geno, Manziel, Hoyer and Thomas goes, these are guys that actually have solid offensive linemen. D'Brick, Mangold, Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Alex Mack, Jared Veldheer, Bobby Massie, Jonathan Cooper. 

Further more, Geno Smith had the 3rd best rushing attack in the league, was the outright starter and lost his job to Mike Vick (Geno has had a top 5 type rushing attack since he's been in the league). Though Cleveland had the 17th ranked rushing attack, however, the Browns ranked #4 in rushing TD's. Meanwhile, outside of an out of his prime Logan Mankins, Glennons entire Oline are totally replaceable, ranking #1 in penalties. The Bucs rushing attack ranked 29th in rushing and 27th in rushing TD's (Bucs ranked 22nd in rushing and 31st in rushing TD's in his rookie year). 

Now, if Glennon was to be traded to the Jets I really would expect for them to compete for the job. However, my personal opinion is that your statement regarding Glennon not being clear cut better than Geno, based on what I just provided, is a joke. 

I don't argue those points but for you to neglect that Geno should never have even been starting his first year and half is unfair.   Glennon truly was more NFL ready and still got to sit for a good part of his rookie season.   We can't go back in the past so it is what it is, but I after almost two years under his belt he did show improvement his last 4 games and should continue that improvement into year three should he win the starting job.  So yes, if we do trade for Glennon, what he did in Tampa was impressive, but he will be starting from zero and will have to beat out Geno, Fitz or anyone else at qb.    Also when you quote rushing stats I think you have to also consider context as Rex insisted on ground and pound above all else so the team was built to run the ball.   Again, I am not anti Glennon but we need to have some perspective.   

Yes because he is proven and still has several good years ahead of him and the 20 something can't even start for the worst team in the league.  Those are the facts.   I mean Tenn has Mettenberger who some think is good enough to allow them to pass on Mariota (I think they will take him).   If Glennon is such a stud why would Tampa consider taking a qb like Winston with all his red flags when they can either trade down and get more picks to build around him or take Leonard Williams to bolster the defense?  I know Lovie and the GM their are both idiots and don't know what they are doing, which may be the case.  

We are not the only team that needs a qb or had lousy qb play the last number of years.  I know you are desperate for a qb but you never make decisions that can effect the future based desperation because more often than not it will blow up in your face.  If we can get Glennon for a reasonable price fine but lets not sell the farm for him.   

These type of questions seem clever, but they're not the right questions to be asking. Glennon being a stud or not a stud has nothing to do with the fact that the Tampa organization is a terrible one. We just seen a year where Mike Glennon was heads and shoulders better than Josh McCown but when McCown recovered from his injury they gave him the position. Lovie Smith was also imo trying not to win in certain cases. From what I understand, in week 17 Lovie began to sit his offensive starters but instead of putting in Mike Glennon to relieve McCown, he kept McCown in the game and and secured the 1st spot in the draft. 

Just because an organization is making stupid moves doesnt mean that Glennon is or isn't a stud. You see, my reason for calling Mike Glennon a stud is because I watch Mike Glennon. Trying to water than down with anything outside of Mike Glennon's control is simply a baited question that isn't looking for a positive or even accurate response. 

I don't argue those points but for you to neglect that Geno should never have even been starting his first year and half is unfair.   Glennon truly was more NFL ready and still got to sit for a good part of his rookie season.   We can't go back in the past so it is what it is, but I after almost two years under his belt he did so improvement his last 4 games and should continue that improvement into year three should he win the starting job.  So yes, if we do trade for Glennon, what he did in Tampa was impressive, but he will be starting from zero and will have to beat out Geno, Fitz or anyone else at qb.    Also when you quote rushing stats I think you have to also consider context as Rex insisted on ground and pound above all else so the team was built to run the ball.   Again, I am not anti Glennon but we need to have some perspective.   

Nothing I'm saying is unfair or neglect. Im stating the facts. You put up Geno Smith's 2nd year numbers to Glennon's and Glennon is still wiping the floor with him so whats your point? Its like you have so many excuses for guys like Geno but when it comes to Glennon then you want to ask questions like "Well, if he such a stud then why.....????" You're trying to have it both ways. You can't ask those Glennon questions then say that its somehow unfair that Im neglecting the fact that Geno should not have been starting. For the fact that I'm banging the table so hard for Mike Glennon should tell you that I'm not neglecting the fact that Geno should not be behind center for the New York Jets. See what I did right there? lol. 

You're the one being unfair here, better yet, biased. 

And when I talk about the rushing attack I dont have to consider anything outside of what I'm presenting. All of the QB's who did terrible had better offensive lines and better support from their rushing game. Glennon had no oline, had the most penalized Oline, no Doug Martin no rushing attack and had WR's that certain people love to bring up yet had the 12th highest drop total in the NFL and only Played with Evans for 5 games.

If you feel like adding something please, be my guest. I do the GIF and the stats thing. You keep talking about how unfair I am and how I'm not considering context that has nothing to do with the outcome. What am I do do with you! lol. 

I don't argue those points but for you to neglect that Geno should never have even been starting his first year and half is unfair.   Glennon truly was more NFL ready and still got to sit for a good part of his rookie season.   We can't go back in the past so it is what it is, but I after almost two years under his belt he did show improvement his last 4 games and should continue that improvement into year three should he win the starting job.  So yes, if we do trade for Glennon, what he did in Tampa was impressive, but he will be starting from zero and will have to beat out Geno, Fitz or anyone else at qb.    Also when you quote rushing stats I think you have to also consider context as Rex insisted on ground and pound above all else so the team was built to run the ball.   Again, I am not anti Glennon but we need to have some perspective.   

Garbage time means nothing.  I place much more weight on his two time 0.0 QB rating and 3 INT's in the 1st quarter in games that actually meant something last season.

These type of questions seem clever, but they're not the right questions to be asking. Glennon being a stud or not a stud has nothing to do with the fact that the Tampa organization is a terrible one. We just seen a year where Mike Glennon was heads and shoulders better than Josh McCown but when McCown recovered from his injury they gave him the position. Lovie Smith was also imo trying not to win in certain cases. From what I understand, in week 17 Lovie began to sit his offensive starters but instead of putting in Mike Glennon to relieve McCown, he kept McCown in the game and and secured the 1st spot in the draft. 

Just because an organization is making stupid moves doesnt mean that Glennon is or isn't a stud. You see, my reason for calling Mike Glennon a stud is because I watch Mike Glennon. Trying to water than down with anything outside of Mike Glennon's control is simply a baited question that isn't looking for a positive or even accurate response. 

The question is not meant to be clever.  They are legitimate questions whether you like them or not.   So you watch Glennon that makes you smarter than the entire Bucs organization?  Dude do you even read what you post?   Okay lets say you are correct; don't you think the other 31 teams in the league or the 10-15 teams that could really use a good young qb would be calling to get this kid??   I mean you will take that as a knock when again it is a legitimate question for some with an ounce of objectivity.    Let me ask you a question and I am being very serious; do you think Lovie Smith wants to win football games?   I mean he watch more film then you can ever watch and he also views him in practice; do you feel he has something personal against him so that is why he wouldn't start him?    Do you feel he is willing to lose his job over it?   What I honestly don't understand is why risk taking Winston when he already has his franchise qb on the roster?  I mean the guy has only been in football his entire life and probably have forgotten more football you you will ever learn.  I don't mean to insult you I am just trying get a handle on why he is not giving him an honest shot at the job but instead will be drafting a qb #1....    Then again, it could all be a smokescreen and they do wind up tradng out of the top spot for picks and going with the Glennon...   It will be interesting to see what develops. 

Garbage time means nothing.  I place much more weight on his two time 0.0 QB rating and 3 INT's in the 1st quarter in games that actually meant something last season.

So the last 4 games of the season is garbage time; so players have no pride, no desire to win?  Okay, so according to you every team stops playing once they are eliminated from the playoffs.    He had one game where he threw 3 interceptions in the first qb.  I have seen Eli Manning, Bress, Kaepernick and even Luck throw 2 or 3 interceptions in a half. I guess they all suck too.  The amount of patience for qb development on this board is down right laughable.  Forget Geno; just recognize that many young qbs struggle, especially when they shouldn't be starting in the first place.   If we had a real coach, who was allowed to make his own decisions, odds are Mike Vick would have been the starter not Geno.  

The question is not meant to be clever.  They are legitimate questions whether you like them or not.   So you watch Glennon that makes you smarter than the entire Bucs organization?  Dude do you even read what you post?   Okay lets say you are correct; don't you think the other 31 teams in the league or the 10-15 teams that could really use a good young qb would be calling to get this kid??   I mean you will take that as a knock when again it is a legitimate question for some with an ounce of objectivity.    Let me ask you a question and I am being very serious; do you think Lovie Smith wants to win football games?   I mean he watch more film then you can ever watch and he also views him in practice; do you feel he has something personal against him so that is why he wouldn't start him?    Do you feel he is willing to lose his job over it?   What I honestly don't understand is why risk taking Winston when he already has his franchise qb on the roster?  I mean the guy has only been in football his entire life and probably have forgotten more football you you will ever learn.  I don't mean to insult you I am just trying get a handle on why he is not giving him an honest shot at the job but instead will be drafting a qb #1....    Then again, it could all be a smokescreen and they do wind up tradng out of the top spot for picks and going with the Glennon...   It will be interesting to see what develops. 

There you go again. lol

If I'm watching Mike Glennon, and the person debating me hasn't then yes, I would assume that I am more knowledgeable on the topic until proven wrong. Baited questions wont prove that. Those type of questions do nothing but try to cause confusion because there's no definitive way to answer it. Neither one of us work for Tampa, so you can only go off of what you see. And from what I see, Glennon has been the best QB they've had yet they've tried time and time again to go in a different direction and it hasn't worked. And I dont read what I post, I write what I post in order for people like you to read what I wrote. 

Im not interested going through the bullsh*t with you. You've already shown through your logic that Glennon's "production" should be questioned given poor decision making by a poor organization, yet Geno's lack of production should be handled like a child because he started too early yet had much more of a supporting cast on offense and a top 10 defense. 

You're right Blue. Im on to the next one brother. You got it. Im going to bed. 

There you go again. lol

If I'm watching Mike Glennon, and the person debating me hasn't then yes, I would assume that I am more knowledgeable on the topic until proven wrong. Baited questions wont prove that. Those type of questions do nothing but try to cause confusion because there's no definitive way to answer it. Neither one of us work for Tampa, so you can only go off of what you see. And from what I see, Glennon has been the best QB they've had yet they've tried time and time again to go in a different direction and it hasn't worked. And I dont read what I post, I write what I post in order for people like you to read what I wrote. 

Im not interested going through the bullsh*t with you. You've already shown through your logic that Glennon's "production" should be questioned given poor decision making by a poor organization, yet Geno's lack of production should be handled like a child because he started too early yet had much more of a supporting cast on offense and a top 10 defense. 

You right Blue. Im on to the next one brother. You got it. 

Whatever, man,  I ask you a legitimate question and you think I'm giving you grief.  You talk about Glennons "production" and I ask you why his Head Coach and GM is considering taking another qb with the first pick.  It is not like we have Andrew Luck in this draft.  Your only response is they are basically a bunch of idiots; okay. 

Btw this conversation isn't even about Geno; I just made the point that he had a lot further to go in his development than Glennon coming out and even over the last year; that should be obvious.  I don't understand why that is a issue for you.  It doesn't take anything away from Glennon, it just gives a little more perspective on Geno's inconsistency.  

All I know is if Glennon is as good as you think, he will be traded on or around draft day to somebody.  There are too many teams in need a good young qb for him to languish on the bench behind Winston or Mariota.    

One last point; it has been speculated that the Bucs will take Mariota at 1.  If they do so, I can see Glennon getting the starting nod while Mariota sits for a year and then, assuming Glennon continues to perform at his current level or better, they will have teams lined up to offer maybe a 2nd rounder, maybe even a 1st rounder for him.  Or if he really excels, they could turn around a trade Mariota for picks or a player.....  any thoughts on this? 

So the last 4 games of the season is garbage time; so players have no pride, no desire to win?  Okay, so according to you every team stops playing once they are eliminated from the playoffs.    He had one game where he threw 3 interceptions in the first qb.  I have seen Eli Manning, Bress, Kaepernick and even Luck throw 2 or 3 interceptions in a half. I guess they all suck too.  The amount of patience for qb development on this board is down right laughable.  Forget Geno; just recognize that many young qbs struggle, especially when they shouldn't be starting in the first place.   If we had a real coach, who was allowed to make his own decisions, odds are Mike Vick would have been the starter not Geno.  

Excuses, excuses and more excuses.  And a few real stretches in logic and comparisons to other players thrown in for good measure.  The fact is, Geno never performed well when the games actually counted for his team.   

Excuses, excuses and more excuses.  And a few real stretches in logic and comparisons to other players thrown in for good measure.  The fact is, Geno never performed well when the games actually counted for his team.   

Actually he did.  The Atlanta game on Monday night in his rookie season is one that comes to mind, so does the New Orleans game at Metlife.  As did the second NE game, he played well enough to win in Green Bay if MM hadn't called time out and nulilfy his game tying td pass to Decker in the final minutes of that game.  But since you want to talk in absolutes you probably don't count them.   Btw, all the games actually count.   

I'd be for signing Glennon as a free agent. But trading a 3rd round pick for him would be insane. He probably wouldn't even beat out Fitzpatrick for starting QB.

I can see how trading a 3rd rounder for what would most likely be our starting quarterback that averages 25 TD' & 12 INT's and in 2 seasons has only three 2 INT games would be insane (Geno has 9 games of 2 or more INT's in his two years. Glennon has never had a 3 pick game).

I can totally see how that wouldnt beat out Fitzpatrick, let alone the man, the myth, the legend Geno Smith.

The Bucs were 4th in sacks given up last year and 1st in QB hits given up.  They also had the 29th level rushing offense.   I haven't watched him enough to have a real pro or against opinion on him but his stats over two years are decent considering the team.

Having said that they replaced him last year with McCown and seem to be wanting to not consider him this year.  I do think Lovie Smith is a super over rated coach though so that plays into it as well.

I wouldn't think Glennon is a long term answer but i do think he is probably better than Geno.

Archived