Looks like Goodell will hear the Brady appeal

Fed Hill Jet

Goodell is not a lawyer.  It doesn't say much about the personality of lawyers that so many people think that he is.  :)

I guess people think he was a lawyer because Tagliabue was one. Got his law degree from New York Univesity School of Law, my alma mater, in 1965).

There are a lot of JDs on this board, eh?  We is a dime a dozen.  Like RBs in the NFL.  

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so sure about that. With the right lawyers representing the league, I am sure they will find a way to get all the evidence into the proceedings.

i do too and this may be the real reason Goodell let Vincent send Brady the letter.  He intends to open "Pandora's Box."

Especially by having the former head of the NFLPA send the letter to Brady (Troy Vincent).

That could be the commisioner's loophole, he used the leason between the NFL & Players Association make the contact for final judgement.  That would not violate section 16.

I guess people think he was a lawyer because Tagliabue was one. Got his law degree from New York Univesity School of Law, my alma mater, in 1965).

There are a lot of JDs on this board, eh?  We is a dime a dozen.  Like RBs in the NFL.  

Yep.  We're a dime a dozen in the real world as well...

NYU is a great school.  Everyone I've met from there seems to have had a great experience. 

I think that would open the door for a very favorable case for the Pats* in court, however. At that point, the onus wouldn't be on them to prove their innocence or not, it would be on them to prove that Goodell acted illegally. They could get the whole thing thrown out without having to even address their innocence or guilt, but rather just simply prove that Goodell overstepped his bounds by not following the CBA.

Overstepped the CBA how exactly? The commissioner has the right to arbitrate as per the CBA. See the thing about an agreement is that Brady signed a contract. The contract says that Brady has to arbitrate under an arbitrator that Goodell chooses. Unless contracts mean nothing in this country anymore, this seems pretty simple to me.

Or, Team Brady can try and get it heard outside of arbitration in Federal Court. At that point, it's not arbitration its a lawsuit. Either way, I would think he's sitting out in September unless the judge stays the punishment pending decision. That would suck.

If the lawsuit went in favor of Brady, he effectively changed the CBA. The case called Brady v NFL is the groundwork for the current CBA. Effectively he's trying to reverse a contract that he sued to implement.

I think that would mean that the league would have to file a separate lawsuit.  Brady and/or the Pats' lawsuit would be very narrowly focused on Goodel not following the letter of the CBA.  Deflategate would probably be off-topic with regards to the arguments that Brady and/or the Pats' lawyers would present.

Do you really think the league's lawyers could not make an argument that all the evidence related to the case is relevant? I think they can, and will.

Overstepped the CBA how exactly? 

By delegating the punishment of Brady and the Pats to Troy Vincent.  The NFLPA claims this is a violation of the CBA and, if it is, would be the focus of Brady's lawsuit against the NFL, not his innocence or guilt regarding Deflategate.

By delegating the punishment of Brady and the Pats to Troy Vincent. The NFLPA claims this is a violation of the CBA and, if it is, would be the focus of Brady's lawsuit against the NFL, not his innocence or guilt regarding Deflategate.

What's the proper administrator of punishment per the CBA?

Tags was a billion times the Commissioner Goodell is!

My vote is for Fireman Ed to hear the appeal.

Eff Goodell...

He's supposed to be called as a witness.

And how can he hear an appeal when he signed off on the original suspension?

Whole thing stinks.

My only hope is that Brady's legacy becomes similar to Roger Clemens', another lying cheat ready to sue.

Goodell is not a lawyer.  It doesn't say much about the personality of lawyers that so many people think that he is.  :)

I stand corrected.  I've seen it reported several times that he is a lawyer, obviously incorrectly.  There are several in the Goodell family so maybe that's why it was reported wrong.

Archived