Compensatory picks can be traded in next year’s draft ~ ~ ~

Gas2No99

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the NFL will start allowing teams to trade compensatory draft picks.

Began in 1996, compensatory picks are intended to "compensate" teams for free-agent losses. The Ravens under Ozzie Newson have been the kings of the compensatory pick process, and they should earn several more this season after Pernell McPhee and Torrey Smith signed big free-agent deals elsewhere. This change will allow comp-pick conscious teams like the Ravens more flexibility on draft day.

Nov 19 - 12:30 PM

NFL Expected To Allow Comp Pick Trades

Beginning in 2016, the NFL is expected to start allowing teams to trade compensatory draft picks for the first time, reports Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (via Twitter). These selections, which begin at the end of the third round, have traditionally not been movable.

[Related: Click here for the full list of the 2016 draft picks that have already been traded.]

Compensatory draft picks are rewarded to teams that had the most significant losses in free agency the previous year, with a formula determining how the 32 available selections are divvied up. Typically, teams like the Ravens have taken advantage of the system by allowing players to walk in free agency and collecting multiple compensatory picks, often using those picks to draft inexpensive potential replacements.

Now, it appears teams like Baltimore will be able to use those picks in trades going forward. Because there are no compensatory picks until the draft begins approaching the 100th overall pick, these selections may not be centerpieces of major deals, but being able to move them will give teams extra flexibility when making moves. As I noted when I took a closer look at all the trades made in the NFL in 2015, 64 of the 69 deals completed this year included at least one draft pick.

According to projections by Over the Cap, the Browns49ersCowboys, and Patriots are all in line to potentially land four compensatory picks for 2016, the maximum allowed for a single team. The Ravens, BroncosSeahawksPackers, and Lions are also projected to land multiple picks, though that’s not set in stone yet.

As Brian McIntyre notes (via Twitter), there’s a case to be made that any changes to the compensatory picks should be postponed until the 2017 draft, since changes for 2016 favor teams that attempted to stockpile those selections for the coming year. However, for now, it seems the league is ready to institute those changes sooner rather than later.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome’s phone just blew up, and he doesn’t know why.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the NFL is expected to allow teams to trade compensatory picks in next year’s draft, which should create more deals during the draft weekend.

In previous years, the picks doled out to compensate for losses in unrestricted free agency couldn’t be dealt, which froze the picks at the end of each round.But with them liberated, teams might be more apt to package multiple picks to move around, creating even more action.

No team has played the compensatory pick game better than the Ravens, who rarely dip into unrestricted free agency, and consistently develop players that other teams want to sign.

>        http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/19/compensatory-picks-can-be-traded-in-next-years-draft/

I prefer cranky, but that's usually relative to how much stupidity is typed on this forum by Jets "fans." I did reach my threshold after participating in a Fitzy 2016 debate.

i can take a joke, no worries, I'm just initially prickly like a porcupine. :-)

Everyone has the same cap #  ($143 million) and team's share revenue ($226 million per team from fiscal year 2014), so can someone explain to me again why comp picks are thing?

Coach tampering? Yeah, no problem.

You CHOSE not to resign someone? Lol. Yeah, no. 

Whoa. This is actually pretty huge news. It'll be interesting to see if there's any spillover effect with free agency.

I don't think this really means all that much. There's not enough value in mid-late round picks that it's going to change anybody's approach. Teams that land comp picks don't tend to trade draft picks, and teams that do trade draft picks don't tend to lay off free agency.

Everyone has the same cap #  ($143 million) and team's share revenue ($226 million per team from fiscal year 2014), so can someone explain to me again why comp picks are thing?

Coach tampering? Yeah, no problem.

You CHOSE not to resign someone? Lol. Yeah, no. 

Pretty simple. It's much harder for the Jaguars to re-sign players than it is, say, the Cowboys. 

Pretty simple. It's much harder for the Jaguars to re-sign players than it is, say, the Cowboys. 

WHy? Neither state has income tax. Dallas has a nicer Stadium. Of you're telling me it's because the Jags suck at what they do, well that's another story. And in the real world your business closes. 

WHy? Neither state has income tax. Dallas has a nicer Stadium. Of you're telling me it's because the Jags suck at what they do, well that's another story. And in the real world your business closes. 

Yes, that's exactly the claim I'm making.  And the real world doesn't apply to the NFL.  They are 32 franchises of the same business, protected by revenue sharing and the collective bargaining agreement (and up until recently, tax exemption too).  The NFL might move the Jaguars to another city, but they won't shut them down.  

Archived