Let's play Devils Advocate.

Tony The Wiz

3 hours ago, Blaq218 said:

Hackenberg wasn't making it past the 2nd round. He would be the perfect QB to sit and learn behind Tom Brady. The Jets were aware of that and probably drafted him a little earlier than they would liked. Either way I am still happy with the pick.

Just need to inform you they have a way better backup than Hackenberg in  Garapolo. I watched  all his games in pre season  and he is impressive. I wish he was a Jet.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Just need to inform you they have a way better backup than Hackenberg in  Garapolo. I watched  all his games in pre season  and he is impressive. I wish he was a Jet.

If so they will be looking to trade him after this season, no?

That's the Pats way. Bring in Hackenberg to sit and learn, let Garrapolo start the 1st 4 games and increase his trade value and trade  him after his 3rd yr.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

If so they will be looking to trade him after this season, no?

That's the Pats way. Bring in Hackenberg to sit and learn, let Garrapolo start the 1st 4 games and increase his trade value and trade or Tag him after his 3rd yr.

Why would they trade a way better prospect. Would you if he was on the Jets. I know I won't. Rather trade Hackenberg and see what I could get. Garapolo is the real deal.

Just now, Tony The Wiz said:

Why would they trade a way better prospect. Would you if he was on the Jets. I know I won't. Rather trade Hackenberg and see what I could get. Garapolo is the real deal.

He's a FA after 2017.... you think he wants to keep backing up Brady? Unless you think this yr. or next is Brady's last?

Hackenberg might be equal to garrapolo in 2 yrs. and he can be the heir apparant to Brady in 2019 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think that's pure fantasy, as is talk that the dreaded Pats would have taken him.  The Pats already have a QB to develop, and Hack is not the kind of player Belichek would pick.  This belief is pure Jets Fan inferiority complex, the same silliness that gets bandied about every time we cut anyone...."oh noes, Beli is going to sign him now and make him an all pro!"

Pure fantasy?

Link?

7 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

What makes him a way better prospect?  He tore it up in Hawaii? 

If we drafted him and the Pats took Hackenberg every SOJF would be doing the same whine only the names would change sides

51 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Really? Really? I live in New England & see all of their preseason games, I wasn't impressed at all how he did vs those soon to be UPS delivery guys. I mean you seriously act like you should be an actual NFL scout.

Garoppolo has some impressive pre-season tape that only dr detroit could dislike.  He also receives random praise from time to time from various insiders (e.g. Urban Meyer has called him "one of the best quarterbacks I have ever seen" and Mike Pettine recently placed him alongside Derek Carr saying that the Browns should have used their 1st rounder on Carr or Garoppolo instead of Manziel) that suggests that he has serious potential.  

That said, it's still just pre-season tape and the insiders who pump Garoppolo's tires are not exactly the best judges of NFL quarterbacking talent.  So I wouldn't say that there's any evidence at all that Garoppolo will be a better NFL QB than Hackenberg.  Both guys need some meaningful regular-season snaps before we can start saying anything definitive.  

27 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Really? Really? I live in New England & see all of their preseason games, I wasn't impressed at all how he did vs those soon to be UPS delivery guys. I mean you seriously act like you should be an actual NFL scout.

To be fair, guess who he was throwing to in those games?  Hint: They wear brown uniforms and deliver packages.  

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Which is why there were reports on draft day that the Pats were interested in Hackenberg.

Can't be true because as we know Garapolo is a can't miss done deal and teams dont ever carry 3 QB, especially when one will miss a quarter of the season.  

And it doesnt fit the whine. 

Fu*k this fanbase and the joy it takes in its constant bashing of ownership, HC, GM, personnel, stadium, practice site.......

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fu*k this fanbase and the joy it takes in its constant bashing of ownership, HC, GM, personnel, stadium, practice site.......

Just ownership and GM. When the last super bowl appearance was 1969, the fans have every right to be critical. 

4 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Just ownership and GM. When the last super bowl appearance was 1969, the fans have every right to be critical. 

Theres a huge difference between being critical and just plain pointless whining.

Someone stating as fact that Garapolo is definitely better than Hackenberg is whining and trolling his teams board.

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

I prefer an alternate Devil's Advocate question:

If the Jets passed on Hack in the 2nd, where would Hack have been picked and by whom?

Nobody. Undraftable.  Go play for LA Kiss and dominate his first year.  

22 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Let's play Devils advocate. If Hackenberg was not the pick in the 2nd, then who there left in the draft would you have picked. Thinking of the talent left and our deficiency in some positions I would like to hear what player would you have picked when watching this draft. Would it be another QB or any other position. I have a short list.  Cook QB, Boyd WR, Alexander CB or Fuller CB.

I don't think you understand the concept of "playing devil's advocate."

Someone stating as fact that Garapolo is definitely better than Hackenberg is whining and trolling his teams board.

Garapolo has been in the NFL for 2 years, is the back-up for a HOF QB and is very comfortable in the Pats offense.

Hackenberg has regressed 3 straight years, barely completing half of his passes IN COLLEGE.

Garapolo is definitely better than Hackenberg at this point in time. To think otherwise, you are either a complete homer or don't know anything about football.

50 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Garapolo has been in the NFL for 2 years, is the back-up for a HOF QB and is very comfortable in the Pats offense.

Hackenberg has regressed 3 straight years, barely completing half of his passes IN COLLEGE.

Garapolo is definitely better than Hackenberg at this point in time. To think otherwise, you are either a complete homer or don't know anything about football.

Until he proves something in a meaningful game its nothing more than hope on your part that he will be better just because hes been in the system longer.  Doesn't mean he has more talent or eventually wont finish second to Hackenberg down the road

Until he proves something in a meaningful game its nothing more than hope on your part that he will be better just because hes been in the system longer.  Doesn't mean he has more talent or eventually wont finish second to Hackenberg down the road

I agree with that.

However, right now it's not even close.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

He's a FA after 2017.... you think he wants to keep backing up Brady? Unless you think this yr. or next is Brady's last?

Hackenberg might be equal to garrapolo in 2 yrs. and he can be the heir apparant to Brady in 2019 

Brady will be 39 years old would you as a team and organization let go the future for maybe one more year. I know I won't.

Brady will be 39 years old would you as a team and organization let go the future for maybe one more year. I know I won't.

Brady's contract runs through 2019.

Unless his performance falls off the cliff, I expect him to play 2-3 more years.

He'd walk away before he goes through a final season like Peyton did.

23 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Let's play Devils advocate. If Hackenberg was not the pick in the 2nd, then who there left in the draft would you have picked. Thinking of the talent left and our deficiency in some positions I would like to hear what player would you have picked when watching this draft. Would it be another QB or any other position. I have a short list.  Cook QB, Boyd WR, Alexander CB or Fuller CB.

Easy upgrade to send the pick to Tampa for Glennon or to San Francisco for Kap

or draft Cravens, Jones, Whitehair, Bell, Thomas, Cook, Hogan, Aguayo

and yes I would trade Hack for Garapolo all day long (but Pats* would not make this trade)

CODY WHITEHAIR

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Brady's contract runs through 2019.

Unless his performance falls off the cliff, I expect him to play 2-3 more years.

He'd walk away before he goes through a final season like Peyton did.

Just saying football is a grinding sport and at his age you say something what your mind wants but when the body says enough than it is enough. We would not know his status until the year is up and how physical of a beating he went through.

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Easy upgrade to send the pick to Tampa for Glennon or to San Francisco for Kap

or draft Cravens, Jones, Whitehair, Bell, Thomas, Cook, Hogan, Aguayo

and yes I would trade Hack for Garapolo all day long (but Pats* would not make this trade)

CODY WHITEHAIR

Totally agree with you. Look I wish as a Jet  fan I am wrong but I have been a draft nut for over 40 years before Kiper and I have never seen a QB who was as bad as Hackenberg in the last two years in college and become a franchise QB.

Just saying football is a grinding sport and at his age you say something what your mind wants but when the body says enough than it is enough. We would not know his status until the year is up and how physical of a beating he went through.

You are absolutely correct.

When age, physical beatings and diminishing skills catch up to a player at the same time, their performance does not slowly decline, they completely crash and burn.

22 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

I agree with that.

However, right now it's not even close.

You would expect them to perform on a different level.  However thats different than who has more talent. We wont know until both are up and running.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

You are absolutely correct.

When age, physical beatings and diminishing skills catch up to a player at the same time, their performance does not slowly decline, they completely crash and burn.

That is why your backup will never be traded.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

I have doubts about this now that they've drafted Bissett.

I don't think they waste a 3rd rounder if they think Garapolo is the heir apparent 

I have doubts about this now that they've drafted Bissett.

I don't think they waste a 3rd rounder if they think Garapolo is the heir apparent 

You could be right.

I think we'll all know better after the first 4 games of the season.

58 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Totally agree with you. Look I wish as a Jet  fan I am wrong but I have been a draft nut for over 40 years before Kiper and I have never seen a QB who was as bad as Hackenberg in the last two years in college and become a franchise QB.

Off the top of my head I would say Warren Moon had a horrible college career and turned out to be a decent QB. Brady wasn't even the starter at Michigan, Drew Henson was. He also couldnt beat out Brian Griese. But I don't think any QB was in a situation quite like Hackenberg was at Penn State either. It's not often that the top rated HS prospect sticks it out in that program, with those sanctions. They had one scholarship athlete on the OL and he was hurt. The rest were converted DL's. I also wouldnt call Hackenberg a franchise QB. He was a second round pick, I dont think its fair to use the word franchise at this point. He is a second round pick just like Devin Smith was. But I dont think it would be shocking if Hackenberg turned out to be one either. Not being able to win your starting job in college and then having a HOF career like Brady did is more impressive I think.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Off the top of my head I would say Warren Moon had a horrible college career and turned out to be a decent QB. Brady wasn't even the starter at Michigan, Drew Henson was. He also couldnt beat out Brian Griese. But I don't think any QB was in a situation quite like Hackenberg was at Penn State either. It's not often that the top rated HS prospect sticks it out in that program, with those sanctions. They had one scholarship athlete on the OL and he was hurt. The rest were converted DL's. I also wouldnt call Hackenberg a franchise QB. He was a second round pick, I dont think its fair to use the word franchise at this point. He is a second round pick just like Devin Smith was. But I dont think it would be shocking if Hackenberg turned out to be one either. Not being able to win your starting job in college and then having a HOF career like Brady did is more impressive I think.

Number 1 the only reason I am calling Hackenberg  a franchise QB is not from my view but most of the views on this board. I think he is mediocre at best. I agree with you on Warren Moon since I watched him in college for the university of Washington. Yes he wasn't good but remember he had to go to Canada to get refined and than come back to the NFL after 8 years. Wish Geno will do that. Now for Brady. I watched Brady at Michigan and I remember like it was yesterday.  He had to share QB with a more athletic Drew Henson who later played baseball but if your remember the last year is when Brady came on. He was always accurate and the bowl game he showed off his talents with a 375 yard and 4 TDs.  Hackenberg is no way near what Brady had accomplished at the end of his college career. My problem with this whole situation was why Houston go out and get to me an below average QB in Osweiler and pay him the moon when they instead could of picked Hackenberg in the draft since O'brien knew him the best. Seeing this happened made me feel that this pick was way too soon.   I compare Hackenberg to a beautiful Ferrari but has a transmission problem.  Can it be fixed is the question?

15 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Number 1 the only reason I am calling Hackenberg  a franchise QB is not from my view but most of the views on this board. I think he is mediocre at best. I agree with you on Warren Moon since I watched him in college for the university of Washington. Yes he wasn't good but remember he had to go to Canada to get refined and than come back to the NFL after 8 years. Wish Geno will do that. Now for Brady. I watched Brady at Michigan and I remember like it was yesterday.  He had to share QB with a more athletic Drew Henson who later played baseball but if your remember the last year is when Brady came on. He was always accurate and the bowl game he showed off his talents with a 375 yard and 4 TDs.  Hackenberg is no way near what Brady had accomplished at the end of his college career. My problem with this whole situation was why Houston go out and get to me an below average QB in Osweiler and pay him the moon when they instead could of picked Hackenberg in the draft since O'brien knew him the best. Seeing this happened made me feel that this pick was way too soon.   I compare Hackenberg to a beautiful Ferrari but has a transmission problem.  Can it be fixed is the question?

Yeah so there have been other besides Moon. I am not going to look them all up. As far as Houston is concerned. Rick Smith makes the call there. O'Brien never even talked to Osweiler before he was signed. He has no input on the draft or free agency. I dont think anyone on the board feels a second round pick is automatically a franchise QB. No more than they felt Devin Smith was a franchise WR last year. I think a lot of people like the pick and are hopeful he turns out to be good. There are only 15 players in the draft with first round grades. After that everyone has some flaws.

Archived