Praise for Maccagnan

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like mac and like some of the udfa guys he has come up with but he is as much to blame for this team as anyone else.  His high priced fa's have fallen on their ass this year.  He signed some guys this past year that have done squat (Jenkins) and his past years draft has really provide no help to this team at all this year.

The FAs are MMQB complaints. 

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I cant totally  blame Bowles for  Fitz still playing, as any competent GM could see its time to move on. Either they don't want to because of the money they paid Fitz or they feel Petty wont do any better. Something has to change.

They seem to be living in fear that the next man up QB will out play Fitzpatrick and then Macc will get fired for wasting $12 million this has to be it there is no way a head coach stands up there and says Ryan is our QB  he gives us the best chance to win.  Fitz leads the NFL in INT's we have suffered enough with this guy and this organization. 

NEXT MAN UP 

We need to send a message to Woody Johnson 

Mac has done a good job so far. He didn't overpay for Fitz or Mo.. He has drafted pretty well (the jury is still out on the majority because it's so early) and has hit big on a few UDFA.

Now he needs to find a quarterback. If he can do that he's not going anywhere for a decade at least.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Mac has done a good job so far. He didn't overpay for Fitz or Mo.. He has drafted pretty well (the jury is still out on the majority because it's so early) and has hit big on a few UDFA.

Now he needs to find a quarterback. If he can do that he's not going anywhere for a decade at least.

He dragged his feet in the off season with the entire roster and was held hostage by a bum QB who no other team wanted he blew it he sucks as a GM 

NEXT MAN UP

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The FAs are MMQB complaints. 

Oh really?  The guys we paid huge dollars to two years ago have been garbage this year, like it or not that is on the guy who signed them like it or not.

We signed at least one if not more fa's we didn't have to sign this year that will cost us compensatory picks.

1st round draft was a speed LB who does have speed and made some tackles but has .5 sack and a whopping 1 passes defended.

The 2nd round pick is so far off he will very likely not even challenge for playing time next year.

Jenkins and Burris picks i like but the coach and his 'hybrid; defense is going to neuter both Lee and jenkins to some extend.

I like Mac, think he is a smart guy but to pretend he did a really good job overall is no accurate imo.

My full judgement on both the coach and Gm will come this off season to see if we really are going rebuild or not.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

He dragged his feet in the off season with the entire roster and was held hostage by a bum QB who no other team wanted he blew it he sucks as a GM 

NEXT MAN UP

He wasn't held hostage by Fitz.

Mac put a deadline down with an offer that takes us off the hook next season. Fitz took it.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Oh really?  The guys we paid huge dollars to two years ago have been garbage this year, like it or not that is on the guy who signed them like it or not.

We signed at least one if not more fa's we didn't have to sign this year that will cost us compensatory picks.

1st round draft was a speed LB who does have speed and made some tackles but has .5 sack and a whopping 1 passes defended.

The 2nd round pick is so far off he will very likely not even challenge for playing time next year.

Jenkins and Burris picks i like but the coach and his 'hybrid; defense is going to neuter both Lee and jenkins to some extend.

I like Mac, think he is a smart guy but to pretend he did a really good job overall is no accurate imo.

My full judgement on both the coach and Gm will come this off season to see if we really are going rebuild or not.

They missed Darron Lee's speed yesterday. 

He did pick Hackenberg too high. That has been my only real problem with Macc that is not hindsight.

I think overall, he has done a solid job. Better than Idzik and better than Tanny.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He did pick Hackenberg too high. That has been my only real problem with Macc that is not hindsight.

I think overall, he has done a solid job. Better than Idzik and better than Tanny.

Not saying much

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He chose a QB in the 2nd round that basically is garbage at this point 

Macc is a loser 

NEXT MAN UP

That has nothing to do with Fitz.. and the jury is out on Hackenberg, nobody has any clue how good/bad he is. AND besides, isn't the philosophy is you keep taking one until you hit on one? Don't hate on the man for trying.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Those two are terrible measuring sticks

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

and the jury is out on Hackenberg, nobody has any clue how good/bad he is. AND besides, isn't the philosophy is you keep taking one until you hit on one? Don't hate on the man for trying.

Considering Hackenberg really hasn't been good since high school, i think it's a safe bet he's nothing special.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

That has nothing to do with Fitz.. and the jury is out on Hackenberg, nobody has any clue how good/bad he is. AND besides, isn't the philosophy is you keep taking one until you hit on one? Don't hate on the man for trying.

A QB chosen in the 2nd round should at least be active and dressed. 

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Those two are terrible measuring sticks

I know that. But progress is progress.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I think people are convinced that Mac is not going to take another QB this year. I think he will. Hell HE USES THE RON WOLF METHOD

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He deserves biog credit for not out thinking himself on that one.

He really doesn't. "Outthinking" by drafting whom instead at #6?

"Good Mac" list:

• Drafted Leonard Williams at #6 (there were only 2 realistic picks for the Jets here - Williams and Beasley - and Williams was easily the safer pick)
  • Accepted a trade for Brandon Marshall (Chicago wanted him off the team and his salary off the cap; Jets picked ahead of Chicago in the draft, and moving Marshall to the Jets would hopefully clear up Kevin White for them at #7, and it did).
  • Late round and UDFA WR pickups (they aren't starting, so their awesomeness is getting overstated so far, but they do look good so far)
  • Picked up NT McLendon after losing NT Snacks (this did cost a 2017 draft pick)
  • Traded a late pick for one year of Ryan Fitzpatrick, at $3.25M, in 2015.
  • Signed his 2nd choice for OG in Carpenter, and he's better than expected.
  • Not-yet-failures: Jordan Jenkins might be good? Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg haven't flopped on the field in live/non-preseason games (but they also clearly aren't wowing the team into promoting them over Fitzpatrick)?
  • Didn't re-sign Demario Davis. No-brainer.
  • Didn't keep Percy Harvin at $9M or whatever it was. No-brainer.
  • Didn't keep Ferguson at $10M+ for 2016. No-brainer.

What else am I missing that so many people call him a good GM? Because the "Bad Mac" list is a hell of a lot longer than this.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Outthinking by drafting whom instead at #6?

"Good Mac" list:

• Drafted Leonard Williams at #6 (there were only 2 realistic picks for the Jets here - Williams and Beasley - and Williams was easily the safer pick)
  • Accepted a trade for Brandon Marshall (Chicago wanted him off the team and his salary off the cap; Jets picked ahead of Chicago in the draft, and moving Marshall to the Jets would hopefully clear up Kevin White for them at #7, and it did).
  • Late round and UDFA WR pickups (they aren't starting, so their awesomeness is getting overstated so far, but they do look good so far)
  • Picked up NT McLendon after losing NT Snacks (this did cost a 2017 draft pick)
  • Not-yet-failures: Janoris Jenkins might be good? Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg haven't flopped on the field in live/non-preseason games (but they also clearly aren't wowing the team into promoting them over Fitzpatrick)?

What else am I missing that so many people call him a good GM? Because the "Bad Mac" list is a hell of a lot longer than this.

The Redskins drafted a guard at 5 when they had a big need for an interior ol.

Janoris Jenkins is big fail has this guy even played?  His signing cost us a pick next year.  I agree with most of the rest of your good moves.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The Redskins drafted a guard at 5 when they had a big need for an interior ol.

Janoris Jenkins is big fail has this guy even played?  His signing cost us a pick next year.  I agree with most of the rest of your good moves.

That was already over by the time we picked, and since there is no evidence Maccagnan wouldn't have made the same move, the point is moot.

I meant Jordan Jenkins, obviously. Janoris Jenkins is on the Giants. You're referring to Jarvis Jenkins, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Outthinking by drafting whom instead at #6?

"Good Mac" list:

• Not-yet-failures: Janoris Jenkins might be good? Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg haven't flopped on the field in live/non-preseason games (but they also clearly aren't wowing the team into promoting them over Fitzpatrick)?

Well my Bad Mac list is:

1. Picking Hackenberg in the second round (where, not who)

2.Signing Jarvis Jenkins (I will give you that one)

Everything else is essentially hindsight.

Signing Fitzpatrick: Pressure from fanbase and he only signed him to a year so it doesnt delay rebuilding

Signing Mo: Mostly everybody wanted that done when no one was willing to trade for him, And he did not get JJ Watt money, which is what I was afraid of.

Signing Revis: People wanted Revis the previous season and secondary was broken. Have compared it to the Yankees CC Sabathia deal. And because the Yankees have been on a budget the last few years, the salary cap excuse goes away

You got any more?

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

That was already over by the time we picked, and since there is no evidence Maccagnan wouldn't have made the same move, the point is moot.

I meant Jordan Jenkins, obviously. Janoris Jenkins is on the Giants. You're referring to Jarvis Jenkins, anyway.

Yeah one of them that jenkinses.  Jordan Jenkins looks good but Bowles and his defense is going to screw his effective ness up much like Lees.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Well my Bad Mac list is:

1. Picking Hackenberg in the second round (where, not who)

2.Signing Jarvis Jenkins (I will give you that one)

Everything else is essentially hindsight.

Signing Fitzpatrick: Pressure from fanbase and he only signed him to a year so it doesnt delay rebuilding

Signing Mo: Mostly everybody wanted that done when no one was willing to trade for him, And he did not get JJ Watt money, which is what I was afraid of.

Signing Revis: People wanted Revis the previous season and secondary was broken. Have compared it to the Yankees CC Sabathia deal. 

You got any more?

Yes, lots.

You address the QB situation by drafting a QB. The Jets did that with Petty and more so last year with Hack. I say more so b/c Hack was drafted earlier and Macc looked at the QB position a lot closer in the last draft.

BOTH of them will have an opportunity to start next season- and will probably play this season as well (now that the Jets are all but mathematically eliminated). 

The O-line definitely needs to be addressed via the draft and the Jets will do so. But I'm not certain that the Jets need to go out and draft a QB early. I guess it depends on how things play out- a QB may end up being BPA- but I doubt it. I would be fine if they did not draft a QB at all, signed a vet stopgap and started one of the youngsters (Petty/Hack). I believe both are capable of taking hold of that starting spot for the Jets next season.  

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

LOL.  Hindsight.  So, if some fans said it was a good idea at the time, the GM gets no blame.

Apparently Woody should have hired a GM who runs fan polls to determine which players we should sign, re-sign, draft, etc. Then at least he'd have the excuse that this was literally his job description, not making judgment calls in the team's best interest.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We passed on Prescott to draft Hack need I say more.........

Everybody did this though.  Its not hard to armchair GM after the draft and after you see the kid play int eh NFL.  Even the Cowboys had him well below other QBs including Lynch who we know isn't anywhere as good as Dak.  Bottom line is we have a HC who is afraid to move away from Vets, he's a glorified coward when the going gets tough.  You need to harness all your energy into lambasting Bowles.

Archived