Was Darrelle Revis the best Jets defensive player ever?

Sarge4Tide

Revis  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Revis had his best seasons when no one could figure out Rex's blitz schemes (2009-2010).  He only had to cover his assignments for 3 seconds tops

Revis was Revis no matter the HC.  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Mangold was a great Jet, but getting rid of Abraham was a huge mistake imo.

Definitely, they have never come close to replacing Abraham.

I go yes on Revis being on the best defensive player in franchise history, probably player too depending on the rules on QBs, as well as the GOAT CB possibly DB.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Definitely, they have never come close to replacing Abraham.

I go yes on Revis being on the best defensive player in franchise history, probably player too depending on the rules on QBs, as well as the GOAT CB possibly DB.

And I say no because of lack of longevity.  That matters to me... You know, length.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And I say no because of lack of longevity.  That matters to me... You know, length.

Ah, I'm more a fan of impact or "girth." Revis' prime, which came while the rule book was written to inflate passing offense, just outclasses the field. It's to the extent that he's the best CB, maybe DB when it's all said and done, in league history. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

What's pathetic?  Getting stiff armed by a 5'6 125lb WR?  Agreed.  That's why I posted it. 

Pathetic as if I were to post a video of Klecko in his final year getting manhandled by a scrub and trying to make the case that it's relevant and paints an accurate picture of what Klecko was. 

Pathetic as in taking a Jets all time great and getting pleasure in ridiculing him by that video

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Revis had his best seasons when no one could figure out Rex's blitz schemes (2009-2010).  He only had to cover his assignments for 3 seconds tops

are you serious? the blitzes worked for part of 2009, after that everyone figured them out and we had NO threat of a pass rush.  our D's were great b/c of the secondary and mostly b/c of REVIS.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pathetic as if I were to post a video of Klecko in his final year getting manhandled by a scrub and trying to make the case that it's relevant and paints an accurate picture of what Klecko was. 

Pathetic as in taking a Jets all time great and getting pleasure in ridiculing him by that video

Klecko was almost 40.  Not 30. 

Revis is a pathetic person and football player, so he deserves all the roasting he gets.  You guys can wash his overrated balls all you want.  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Revis is a pathetic person and football player, so he deserves all the roasting he gets.  You guys can wash his overrated balls all you want.  

Joe Klecko played his last game for the Jets when he turned 34 during the season, he wasn't close to 40. Revis was 31 entering 2016 and it was his FIRST bad season.  you love making things up, huh?

I am not trying to tear down Joe as he is an all time great Jet but:

He was injured early in November at Atlanta, sat out four games, returned against Pittsburgh in the next-to-last game of the regular season - and then shredded the knee.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/31/sports/jets-still-hurting-over-injuries.html

this means he didn't play in the KC playoff win and b/c of injuries in 1982 he barely played in the other 2 playoff wins so he never even really helped the Jets win a playoff game. Revis was the biggest reason we won those 4 playoff games in 2009 and 2010.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Joe Klecko played his last game for the Jets when he turned 34 during the season, he wasn't close to 40. Revis was 31 entering 2016 and it was his FIRST bad season.  you love making things up, huh?

Klecko ended his career with the Colts. You love forgetting details, huh? 

15 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

What is your reaction to this statement

All things considered, Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets

Darrelle Revis was the best defensive player in the history of the New York Jets..  true  :cool:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

pathetic person and football player? 

This statement allows me the opportunity to never take anything you post seriously....ever!

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

This statement allows me the opportunity to never take anything you post seriously....ever!

Jif's a total goof. He worships Rex Ryan, who is unemployed, and has been a huge Geno Smith proponent. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Klecko ended his career with the Colts. You love forgetting details, huh? 

first off we are discussing the players as JETS, second he played ONE more season after he left us so he turned 35 in that season- still not close to 40. Interestingly enough his career ended at the meadowlands in a game against the Jets. keep trying though.

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

He wasn't almost 40.  Who cares about their ages?  Klecko played a different position, didn't require speed and athleticism like CB.  

You can call Revis overrated, pathetic whatever you want but he was better than Klecko.  

19 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I will probably lose sleep over this.  Probably.  

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

first off we are discussing the players as JETS, second he played ONE more season after he left us so he turned 35 in that season- still not close to 40. Interestingly enough his career ended at the meadowlands in a game against the Jets. keep trying though.

Revis won a Super Bowl with the Patriots.  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He wasn't almost 40.  Who cares about their ages?  Klecko played a different position, didn't require speed and athleticism like CB.  

You can call Revis overrated, pathetic whatever you want but he was better than Klecko.  

Because he plays corner and should have a longer shelf life than 30.

I'm a person who is perfectly fine with agreeing to disagree. And on this, we disagree.

I strongly dislike Darrelle Revis.  He's a turd.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's a traitor and you worship a traitor. 

you know he called the Jets before he signed w/ NE, right?  

was Joe Namath a traitor for signing w/ the Rams?

was Joe Klecko a traitor for signing w/ div rival Indy?

was Vinny a traitor for signing w/ the Pats?

Chad w/ the dolphins?

Just now, detectivekimble said:

Good.  I didn't have the honor of getting knocked out by one of the greatest defensive backs in NFL history.

Oh, I see what you did there.  Cute.  I wish I got knocked out by one of the most overrated players in the history of the NFL.  That would be quite a story! 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

you know he called the Jets before he signed w/ NE, right?  

was Joe Namath a traitor for signing w/ the Rams?

was Joe Klecko a traitor for signing w/ div rival Indy?

was Vinny a traitor for signing w/ the Pats?

Chad w/ the dolphins?

Nope.  Just Mevi$ Slouch. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because he plays corner and should have a longer shelf life than 30.

I'm a person who is perfectly fine with agreeing to disagree. And on this, we disagree.

I strongly dislike Darrelle Revis.  He's a turd.  

It's a position that's all about athleticism.  Especially these days, since you can't even blow on a receiver.

Also, the fact that he was a willing tackler early in his career probably shortened his career.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh, I see what you did there.  Cute.  I wish I got knocked out by one of the most overrated players in the history of the NFL.  That would be quite a story! 

When you're the best defensive player in the league over a three year period, you're not overrated.

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

It's a position that's all about athleticism.  Especially these days, since you can't even blow on a receiver.

Also, the fact that he was a willing tackler early in his career probably shortened his career.

No.  His career has been shortened because he's lazy piece of sh*t that cares more about money than Football. 

Just now, JiF said:

Agreed.  Too bad Revis was never that. 

Didn't I own you in another thread?  Revis was that.  No matter how much you say he wasn't, it doesn't make it true.  You're a fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.  

He was voted the best defensive player in the NFL by OTHER players.  

I can't speak for players in the era before 1982 when I came to this country but among the players I have seen the answer is Joe Klecko.  It is not really even close in my opinion.

Best single season or best 2-3 year stretch?  Revis I think wins that one.

Archived