For The Sake Of Balance

KRL

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO. Yeah, I am sure Revis just loved the way he was cut. That early cut really helped him get signed by.....

Do any of you geniuses realize that the Jets may have thought there was a chance Harris could help the team this year (maybe help Lee/Mauldin develop) but circumstances changed and they cut him immediately upon making that decision. You are acting as if the Jets sat down in March, decided to cut Harris, but waited until June to stick it to him. 

Simple question....as a Jet fan, are you happy with the way this was handled? Yes or no, simple answer.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

This makes it better?

The list of people he tried to sign/extend, after a 5-win season, includes Ryan Clady, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, and attempted a restructure to keep Revis.

#youthmovement

seems plenty here in the Smith thread liked the idea of bringing in Smith's attitude...if they signed him people would bitch. if they didn't inquire and he went and signed elsewhere people would bitch "why didn't the Jets try to sign him..geez at least call to find out".....

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

thats why players have agents...if all what was reported was true Harris knew what was going on...hell after the pursuit of hightower he knew.

Nonsense. For something like this, which is bound to be a noteworthy PR event, you'd do it face to face to make sure it comes out right. You do negotiations with players' agents. Telling a player who, as much as any other, the team currently considers "family" by going through his agent is a gutless move.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Nonsense. For something like this, which is bound to be a noteworthy PR event, you'd do it face to face to make sure it comes out right. You do negotiations with players' agents. Telling a player who, as much as any other, the team currently considers "family" by going through his agent is a gutless move.

then go to woody and campaign for the job..please!

Just now, C Mart said:

then go to woody and campaign for the job..please!

Well this is what happens when we hire a scout whose only player personnel experience was a brief stint in 1991 with the pre-NFLEurpoe London Monarchs. A job that likely consisted of saying to a player, "Have you ever played football before, and are you broke?"

10 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

They were competitive in their first season

Missing the playoffs with the leagues easiest schedule and only one win against a quality opponent isn't everyone's definition of competitive.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well this is what happens when we hire a scout whose only player personnel experience was a brief stint in 1991 with the pre-NFLEurpoe London Monarchs. A job that likely consisted of saying to a player, "Have you ever played football before, and are you broke?"

@woodyjohnson4

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Exactly. They treat  Revis, who was a pain in the ass from the day he was drafted, with the utmost respect. Yet Harris, who ran through every wall put in front of him for 10 years, gets treated like this. This was disgraceful.

I think it's getting a little overdramatized, but it clearly was handled poorly. What's worse is how unnecessary it was to handle it this way.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So in your opinion they set up the contract with the agent but terminate it with the player? Are you being serious? 

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He made almost 55 million in 9 years with the Jets, they really don't owe him anymore TBH.

And he contributed to making millions more than that for the owner.  No one's saying he's owed another dime though.

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

seems plenty here in the Smith thread liked the idea of bringing in Smith's attitude...if they signed him people would bitch. if they didn't inquire and he went and signed elsewhere people would bitch "why didn't the Jets try to sign him..geez at least call to find out".....

If by people, you mean, joewilly12, and literally no one else.  You may be on to something here.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's getting a little overdramatized, but it clearly was handled poorly. What's worse is how unnecessary it was to handle it this way.

You are right. The Jets are just a classless, poorly run organization. It's beyond embarrassing at this point.

3 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

So in your opinion they set up the contract with the agent but terminate it with the player? Are you being serious? 

Ring... "Hey David, how are things?  How's the family?  Look, as you know, things are fluid.  We appreciate all you've done here, but we're going to give you your release.  We're sure you'll find another team and wish you the best of luck."  Click... Dials agent...

Well, that was hard.

Just now, Jet9 said:

In a special circumstance, such as this, they can handle things differently than they might do with others. It was an easy PR backlash to avoid with minimal effort. Harris is not Namath, but he isn't practice squad camp fodder either.

It doesn't change the end result - the player is gone, or is about to be gone - but there are easy ways to avoid looking bad in the process.

Just now, gEYno said:

Ring... "Hey David, how are things?  How's the family?  Look, as you know, things are fluid.  We appreciate all you've done here, but we're going to give you your release.  We're sure you'll find another team and wish you the best of luck."  Click... Dials agent...

Well, that was hard.

There's protocol to be followed. I cant imagine how many here are in unions. How is this lost on you guys? 

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Missing the playoffs with the leagues easiest schedule and only one win against a quality opponent isn't everyone's definition of competitive.

They won 10 games... period stop... who cares who it was against... and it was a rookie HC.... 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In a special circumstance, such as this, they can handle things differently than they might do with others. It was an easy PR backlash to avoid with minimal effort. Harris is not Namath, but he isn't practice squad camp fodder either.

It doesn't change the end result - the player is gone, or is about to be gone - but there are easy ways to avoid looking bad in the process.

Ah, so you want them to gain the reputation of bypassing agents based on the feeeelz. Got it. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are right. The Jets are just a classless, poorly run organization. It's beyond embarrassing at this point.

It's not so much the classless thing, since I kind of shrug my shoulders at it. Just as I  do so regarding the "class" acts of the Giants, Patriots, the rapist-loving Steelers, etc..

It's that it was obvious this would be a story, and no thought was put in to the manner in which it was done. He's been a decade-long starter for them and, since they waited until June to do it, they could at least take the minimal effort required to make sure he finds out before Adam Schefter leaks it.

Again, I'm not up in arms about Harris per se. IMO Harris probably had some idea this was coming, since they allegedly approached him to take a pay cut (and he presumably refused). It's more that it was an easy PR hurdle to jump. 

4 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Ah, so you want them to gain the reputation of bypassing agents based on the feeeelz. Got it. 

Or you could just go by the words I use, instead of repeatedly trying and failing to rephrase what I say to mean something else. It has nothing to do with hurting the feelings of poor David Harris.

I think Maccagnan's reputation - like that of his employer - is already plenty low.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not so much the classless thing, since I kind of shrug my shoulders at it. Just as I  do so regarding the "class" acts of the Giants, Patriots, the rapist-loving Steelers, etc..

It's that it was obvious this would be a story, and no thought was put in to the manner in which it was done. He's been a decade-long starter for them and, since they waited until June to do it, they could at least take the minimal effort required to make sure he finds out before Adam Schefter leaks it.

Again, I'm not up in arms about Harris per se. IMO Harris probably had some idea this was coming, since they allegedly approached him to take a pay cut (and he presumably refused). It's more that it was an easy PR hurdle to jump. 

That's my point. These are business 101 decisions that we never get right. Never. As a lifelong Jets fan and 38 years STH, it's just disgusting.

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Well, that was hard.

No, we couldn't get a "reputation" for making a little extra effort with a 10-year team veteran (who was also still the currently penciled-in starter).

The way you outlined above would surely ruin the team's "reputation" (such as it is anyway). 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Or you could just go by the words I use, instead of repeatedly trying and failing to rephrase what I say to mean something else. It has nothing to do with hurting the feelings of poor David Harris.

I think Maccagnan's reputation - like that of his employer - is already plenty low.

You said...

In a special circumstance, such as this, they can handle things differently than they might do with others. 

If you're going to be a long-winded, condescending jerk at every turn at least remember what you're typing as you hit submit.

Maybe Harris was a lesson learned from last year,  it is not a stretch to assume Mac would have asked Mangold to take a cut last year if Brick did not retire in response to discussions, the players took over last year, got what they wanted and we saw the result, Fitz, Mo, and Revis mailed it in after cashing in, BM lost it after the Chiefs game and the locker room imploded

The timing of Decker was probably to avoid the injury settlement and once Harris decision was made, there was nothing to lose 

They should have done this last year but would have been crushed after the 10-6 season

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Maybe Harris was a lesson learned from last year,  it is not a stretch to assume Mac would have asked Mangold to take a cut last year if Brick did not retire in response to discussions, the players took over last year, got what they wanted and we saw the result, Fitz, Mo, and Revis mailed it in after cashing in, BM lost it after the Chiefs game and the locker room imploded

The timing of Decker was probably to avoid the injury settlement and once Harris decision was made, there was nothing to lose 

They should have done this last year but would have been crushed after the 10-6 season

it's a year too late.  but truth is the 2017 jets would not win any more games with revis/mangold/fitz/harris/decker/clady.  these guys are over the hill and injury prone.  the only guy they got rid of who could have really impacted a few games is marshall and even his skills are eroding, too many drops.  

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's a year too late.  but truth is the 2017 jets would not win any more games with revis/mangold/fitz/harris/decker/clady.  these guys are over the hill and injury prone.  the only guy they got rid of who could have really impacted a few games is marshall and even his skills are eroding, too many drops.  

Agree, it is easy to pick on a bad team and the Jets have been down since 2011, this offseason has been terrible but the season will not feel worse than last year, even if they lose every game, expectations are set and all the 2017 Jets can do is improve on those expectations

9 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, it is easy to pick on a bad team and the Jets have been down since 2011, this offseason has been terrible but the season will not feel worse than last year, even if they lose every game, expectations are set and all the 2017 Jets can do is improve on those expectations

i don't think the offseason has been terrible.  i would feel much worse right now if a lot of these guys were still there.  that would signal that management is either too scared or clueless to truly try to fix things.  at least this year, the jets will be younger, more athletic, with guys trying hard to win jobs rather than not get hurt.  and hopefully new leaders will emerge and not be drowned out.   if the worst thing that happens is the jets get the top pick and take a qb then we're much closer to turning the corner than being 4-12 and 5-11 every year with journeymen qbs.

just a thought.  could it be possible that the agents went right from the negotiating table to the 1st reporter they could find which just happen to be

Schefter before the jets could reach Haris who was still on the practice field?  Don't have a clue if that is what happened but the agents may have 

wanted to make their client the victim in stead of greedy by not wanting to take a pay cut.  Because right now Harris is the victim of a evil organization.

Tough scenario with Harris. He couldn't shop himself earlier in this case since he was under contract, but host contract was no guarenteed money. One could argue these cases should provide the player some level of flexibility to shop themselves in some way that maybe the players union should look at for cases of last year non-guarenteed contracts, but on the other side of the coin Harris agreed to having his last year of his contract setup this way so it is more on him and his agent. People need to stop with the loyalty factor since there is none in any business from either side. These Jets losing their jobs is sad, but if they all played better at one point showing better results maybe the outcome is different. Next time you have a playoff spot on the line i.e at 10-6 up in Buffalo 2 years ago, play harder and win the game and probably it provides the team with a better sense that you should stay longer. Results are what matters here and sometimes the effort has to be where you push harder in that extra last mile. We all do it in our jobs/professions and if not many times we are gone. 

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Harris was well paid and the Jets needed him until they found someone who they believed could be an upgrade . I heard the same garbage when Mangold was let go and he still doesn't have a Job . Revis  still doesn't have a job and Harris wasn't going to make much more than what the Jets were offering him if he was released yesterday or 3 months ago . 

Sentiment is all well and good, but the Jets are running a business, and David Harris was an asset who just wasn't worth what he was originally .  If he accepted what was common knowledge, all this fuss would never have happened and he could have retired a Jet .

Regardless of the circumstances of his departure, he Harris belongs in the ring of honor and deserves a thank you from all of us fans.

Archived