What to do with the QB situation from here

What do the Jets do/what should we do with the QB situation?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do the Jets do/what should we do with the QB situation?

• Stick with Clemens, Ratliff & Ainge
    • Go after Anderson or Quinn
    • Sign Leftwich or Garcia to compete with the current QBs on the roster
    • Draft Sanchez or Freeman

Four choices and its simple.

A. Stay with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff & Erik Ainge and have one be the QB in 2009.

B. Target Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn from Cleveland.

C. Sign a veteran like Byron Leftwich or Jeff Garcia to compete with the current three on the roster.

D. Draft Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman.

You decide.

I voted for drafting Sanchez or Freeman but I'd only take Sanchez and only if he fell to 17 which is fairly unlikely. I don't like Freeman very much due to his inconsistant accuracy and decision making, but I like Sanchez accuracy and ability to read defenses and combine that with a good arm and I think he'll be successful, provided the team takes it slow with him to compensate for the lack of experience. This way we can have some insurance in case Clemens/Ratliff aren't good enough. If they do show significant enough franchise potential then we'll have a Anderson/Quinn or Brees/Rivers type of situation where we'll have a valued piece in Sanchez that we can get something for. And I dont' wanna hear the if they fail we'll just draft a QB next year arguement since there's way to many variables to project that far like player stock, draft position, who declares, etc.

I'm happy to stick with what we have but I do like Mark Sanchez. For all the criticism he recieves about lack of experience and the success % of QB's that come out so early I actually think he's the best QB in this draft class. When you watch him play, he's INCREDIBLY accurate, especially on intermediate and deep throws. He can throw under pressure and his quick release will be huge in the NFL.

That being said, not sure I'd rather take him than a WR/RB to help out the QB's that we already have. I like Clemens' potential...Still. Think this will be the year that he earns and takes his chance in the NFL and unlike 2007 the situation will not be as desperate.

Also, I didn't see the option for Quinn (Anderson is terrible) but I'd take him if we could get him for a 2nd.

Anderson is not terrible, but all you have to do is read a complete setence to see it says Anderson OR QUINN.

Four choices and its simple.

A. Stay with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff & Erik Ainge and have one be the QB in 2009.

B. Target Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn from Cleveland.

C. Sign a veteran like Byron Leftwich or Jeff Garcia to compete with the current three on the roster.

D. Draft Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman.

You decide.

It should be a combination of A, C and D.

Bring in a vet on the cheap with a lot of incentives in case he wins the job. Have an open competition with Clemens, Ratliff and the vet. Draft Freeman, Davis or some other late round guy to develop in case A and C falls through.

Bring in a vet on the cheap with a lot of incentives in case he wins the job. Have an open competition with Clemens, Ratliff and the vet. Draft Freeman, Davis or some other late round guy to develop in case A and C falls through.

Freeman is a 1st round pick. If you take him in Round 1, it eliminates the point to have any of the other four competiting.

Anderson is not terrible, but all you have to do is read a complete setence to see it says Anderson OR QUINN.

Yeah but I'm not convinced Quinn will be available to be honest. I know Mangini hasn't taken very well to him but he'll be hard to get anyways and I wouldn't be willing to give up too much for him either.

As for Anderson, he's been figured out by NFL teams. Got off to a fast start when no-one knew who the **** he was largely helped by Braylon Edwards and KWII only to collapse at the end of the season and carry it all into last season. He is not a good NFL QB.

Freeman is a 1st round pick. If you take him in Round 1, it eliminates the point to have any of the other four competiting.

No, Freeman is not Matt Ryan.

Nearly every report I've read on him says he should sit for most of his rookie season if not all of it and learn the ropes. He's not a player who will start right away, regardless of where he goes.

Then again, same was said about Joe Flacco, although he only started due to injury/sickness to Boller/Smith.

Yeah but I'm not convinced Quinn will be available to be honest. I know Mangini hasn't taken very well to him but he'll be hard to get anyways and I wouldn't be willing to give up too much for him either.

As for Anderson, he's been figured out by NFL teams. Got off to a fast start when no-one knew who the **** he was largely helped by Braylon Edwards and KWII only to collapse at the end of the season and carry it all into last season. He is not a good NFL QB.

Do you just make **** up as you go along? Over the last month of the 2007 season the Anderson led Browns went 3-1. In his one loss against Cincinnati he threw 4 interceptions, every QB has a horrible game each season. If that is your thinking that he was "figuered out down the stretch" well then, I don't know what to tell you.

You are insane. Derek Anderson is a very good Quarterback, a 2007 Pro Bowl selection, who got a raw deal in 2008 because the fans and Front Office wanted to see Quinn in the game because they spent a 1st round pick on him and when Winslow and Edwards were dropping passes all over the pass, hurting Anderson (not the other way around), Crennell buckled and sent Quinn in there.

In Cleveland he won't amount to much because the organization wants Quinn to play. Outside of Cleveland he will regain his 2007 form, and probably will play better.

No, Freeman is not Matt Ryan.

Nearly every report I've read on him says he should sit for most of his rookie season if not all of it and learn the ropes. He's not a player who will start right away, regardless of where he goes.

Then again, same was said about Joe Flacco, although he only started due to injury/sickness to Boller/Smith.

Maybe on the Flacco point.

Flacco would've started even if Boller and Smith didn't get hurt/sick. There is no way Baltimore would've ended up at the end of Training Camp/Preseason with either of them in the starting role. They got hurt and sick so early, you would've never really seen a legitimate competiton, but Flacco would've beat them out.

As for Freeman, just becase you read a report that said he could sit for a year or two, doesn't mean he will. That is what some of the "experts" believe, but half the time the experts are full of ****.

Mea Culpa. I thought he was rated lower.

My point is you do not use a pick in the first round unless someone falls to you that should not be there.

Do you just make **** up as you go along? Over the last month of the 2007 season the Anderson led Browns went 3-1. In his one loss against Cincinnati he threw 4 interceptions, every QB has a horrible game each season. If that is your thinking that he was "figuered out down the stretch" well then, I don't know what to tell you.

You are insane. Derek Anderson is a very good Quarterback, a 2007 Pro Bowl selection, who got a raw deal in 2008 because the fans and Front Office wanted to see Quinn in the game because they spent a 1st round pick on him and when Winslow and Edwards were dropping passes all over the pass, hurting Anderson (not the other way around), Crennell buckled and sent Quinn in there.

In Cleveland he won't amount to much because the organization wants Quinn to play. Outside of Cleveland he will regain his 2007 form, and probably will play better.

It wasn't that raw of a deal. DA was straight up given the reigns to the team to go with his shinny new contract and he went out there and sh*t the bed completely. The only good game he had was the Giants game, before and after he played horrendously. I don't think his career is over or that he couldn't rebound but the fact is that he couldn't handle the pressure last season. At this point he isn't worth anything more than a 2nd day pick. He could be a good reclamation project.

On ESPN.com, if you go to SportsNation>Polls>Poll#6, the Poll question is:

Who should start at Quarterback for the Jets? Here are the country's answers;

Erik Ainge - 11% (Tennessee voted him :rl:)

Kellen Clemens - 31%

Brett Ratliff - 5%

A drafted or traded QB - 53%

They went 3-1, but he was terrible. It was Jamal Lewis, especially in the Buffalo and NYJ games that carried the team. Look at the game logs for the 2007 season - look at the HUGE rop off in performance through the 2007 season. It's common knowledge that QB's will tend to look worse as teams get more film on them. It's tough to maintain that form or improve it. I think there's a reason for the drop off and I find it no coincidence that it carried on into this season.

Also just remember before that pro-bowl season* he was beaten out in Training Camp by Charlie Frye.

*Anderson only went to the pro-bowl because Brady didn't.

As for Edwards, he was terrible last season but that doesn't excuse Andersons play at all. I saw a lot of his games, he was shocking.

On ESPN.com, if you go to SportsNation>Polls>Poll#6, the Poll question is:

Who should start at Quarterback for the Jets? Here are the country's answers;

Erik Ainge - 11% (Tennessee voted him :rl:)

Kellen Clemens - 31%

Brett Ratliff - 5%

A drafted or traded QB - 53%

As EY said yesterday - 31 teams don't know who the **** Brett Ratliff is.

Maybe on the Flacco point.

Flacco would've started even if Boller and Smith didn't get hurt/sick. There is no way Baltimore would've ended up at the end of Training Camp/Preseason with either of them in the starting role. They got hurt and sick so early, you would've never really seen a legitimate competiton, but Flacco would've beat them out.

As for Freeman, just becase you read a report that said he could sit for a year or two, doesn't mean he will. That is what some of the "experts" believe, but half the time the experts are full of ****.

I'm not convinced they wanted to put Flacco in right away. A lot of time HC's do not want to do that with Rookie QB's - Palmer, Cutler, Roethlisberger (Remember he only came in because Maddox got hurt), Rivers etc.

I honestly think that attitude will be adopted to whoever drafts Freeman and even if it isn't I sure as hell woldn't think of him winning the starting job without competing like you were implying with your earlier post.

Also just remember before that pro-bowl season* he was beaten out in Training Camp by Charlie Frye.

And it only took one game for Frye to be benched. It was neck and neck and Frye got the advantage because he was a higher used draft pick (well known, I post at a Browns message board as well).

Anderson is going to be a very good QB outside of Cleveland. Unless of course he beats out Quinn since Mangini didn't draft Quinn.

As EY said yesterday - 31 teams don't know who the **** Brett Ratliff is.

The guys who are now working for Budweiser and UPS who were on the Browns 4th string squad last year on Defense know who he is though. :lol:

Drafting Sanchez is retarded, who will HE throw to????

Brady-6th

Cassell 7th

we could do this crap all day. You got as much a chance of Ratliff or Ainge being very good-great or KC doing a 180 and being great, then Sanchez.

SPEND THAT PICK ON A RECEIVER AND #2 on a RB, then best offensive available, in the category of blocking TE RB WR OG.

and, BTW the #6 WR could be much better than the #1 WR and so on.

Welcome to "THE DRAFT"!!!

Drafting Sanchez is retarded, who will HE throw to????

Brady-6th

Cassell 7th

we could do this crap all day. You got as much a chance of Ratliff or Ainge being very good-great or KC doing a 180 and being great, then Sanchez.

SPEND THAT PICK ON A RECEIVER AND #2 on a RB, then best offensive available, in the category of blocking TE RB WR OG.

and, BTW the #6 WR could be much better than the #1 WR and so on.

Welcome to "THE DRAFT"!!!

Why don't we just trade down in every round? You could get a better 6th or 7th rounder than the guy you chose in the first round, right?

I'd have to say stick it out at least through training camp with what we have. Then go after a veteran if nobody is shows what it takes to win games. We can draft a QB next year since we'll probably be drafting early if our QBs all suck in 09.

Archived