Powell Will Get His Shot To Shine Sunday Night

SoFlaJets

Spotlight ready to turn on Jets rookie

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Bilal Powell saw the group of reporters waiting for him after Jets practice yesterday, and showed his quickness, bursting in the opposite direction.

If Powell, a tailback, avoids tacklers like he does the media, the Jets may have a keeper with their fourth-round draft pick out of Louisville. Powell has declined nearly every media request during his first training camp as a Jet.

Tomorrow night, he won't be able to avoid the spotlight.

With Shonn Greene out due to a skin infection, Powell figures to get a lot of carries in a preseason game at New Meadowlands Stadium against the Bengals. LaDainian Tomlinson will start, but the Jets surely do not want to overwork the veteran in the preseason. Joe McKnight will play, but he is recovering from a concussion.

bilal_powell--300x300.jpg

SHOWTIME! Rookie running back Bilal Powell will have the spotlight when he gets a chance to show the Jets what he's got during tomorrow night's preseason game against the Bengals.

That leaves Powell to carry most of the load. That naturally led to several reporters seeking to speak with Powell yesterday, but a Jets media relations staffer could not convince him to talk.

According to someone close to Powell, he feels he has been burned in the past by media members who he feels sensationalized his story.

For those who saw where Powell has come from, watching him carry the ball in the NFL is nothing short of amazing.

"It's incredible to watch him," said Keith DeMyer, Powell's high school coach at Lake Gibson High School in Lakeland, Fla. "I get goose bumps just talking about him. We all watched [Monday night against Houston]. He's a once-in-a-lifetime young man."

Before he became a star for DeMyer, Powell was a member of the Brick Boyz, a local gang in Lakeland. Between his sophomore and junior years, he was stabbed.

"He had two choices: 'I can go the way I've been going and see where I end up or I can take the tools God gave me and do something with them,' " DeMyer said. "He obviously made the right decision."

Powell embraced Christianity before his senior year and moved in with Rusty Bulloch, who coached Lake Gibson's running backs and was a youth pastor. Powell was able to get away from his friends and escape some of the dangers of his neighborhood.

"The power of God got into me. It changed my way of thinking, it changed my way of life, changed the way I saw myself," Powell told the Louisville Courier-Journal. "Instead of just thinking for this life right here, I was thinking more of eternal life, and I knew the way I was living it wasn't right, so I turned to a higher power."

The Bullochs took Powell in for only about nine months, but this portion of Powell's story has become legend and is part of the reason for his reluctance to do interviews.

When "The Blind Side" movie was released, people drew a connection between Powell's story and that of Ravens lineman Michael Oher in the movie. But Powell did not like these comparisons because his mother, Stephanie, had remained an active presence in his life. Oher's mother was a drug addict and he was homeless. The two stories were not direct parallels, but that did not stop the comparisons.

Powell went on to rush for 2,338 yards and 19 touchdowns at Louisville, thriving when Charlie Strong took over as head coach before his senior year.

The Jets added him to their stable of running backs, hoping they found another complement to Greene and Tomlinson. Against the Texans, Powell showed some moves on a 19-yard pass reception.

"Bilal has shown great flashes," Tomlinson said. "As with any young player, it's about learning the offense so he can play fast and show what he can do. With the things that he has been able to pick up and learn, we've seen flashes that Bilal can be a very good player in this league."

Well done Sofa. Hey, where do you watch the games? Do you go anywhere in Sfla or stay home. I know I asked you this before, but I'm not well in the head.

we watch them at home Kyle-nuthin' beats watching football in HD on a big flat screen ya know?

Maybe throw McKnight on the PS? I would imagine they will keep Powell since Greene does come with some durability issues and Tomlinson isn't getting any younger.

Plus Powell has the ability to catch out of the backfield. He and Patrick Turner are shaping up to be the darkhorses on the offensive side of the ball. If they continue to produce at a high level, they will both have spots on the active roster. Really impressed with both of them.

If this Powell guy is as good as I think he is, which back gets cut?

The geezer, the puker, keepem all ?

what I think is going to happen Kleck is McKnight is going to take another shot to the head and the Jets will hide him on injured reserve for a good part of the season-you watch, they've done that stuff before. Let's face it throw him on the practice squad and he gets snapped up in a heartbeat by the Cardinals or Patriots or Miami-all teams still looking for a RB-The Cards just lost a back yesterday

If this Powell guy is as good as I think he is, which back gets cut?

The geezer, the puker, keepem all ?

None of them are getting cut. The Jets have pretty much already made it known they plan on carrying 3 HBs into the season. Considering the fact that they had 4 TEs and 2 FBs last year, it shouldn't be too difficult to make room for them all. The fact is each of these guys all have very specific roles on this team this year, and they're all different. Frankly, I would bet anything that you'll see next to nothing from Powell early in the season this year, and they're going to let him be that guy that Greene was these past few years, the one who shows up in December, January and February completely fresh and healthy to start running over worn down defenses left and right. Not to mention, I have found it interesting that numerous times this preseason Ryan has made reference to the sitting back and learning they had both Greene and McKnight do early in their rookie seasons and while it's certainly not a common practice around the NFL, it's clearly something the Jets prefer to do. I think it really breaks down like this:

Greene - Primary back for the year, expected to carry the rock early in the season and take the brunt of the punishment, using his strong running style to beat down on Ds.

LT - 3rd down back. The guy is still unquestionably by far the best at this category on this team, and that alone will keep him his job. He's a great pass blocker and still once of the best receiving backs in the league. The guy had over 50 catches from Sanchez last year, and they're not getting rid of that.

McKnight - Jack of all trades. You'll see him used everywhere. He'll be taking regular reps at RB to spell Greene/LT, while also get worked into the passing game, out of the back field as well as work him split out wide. He's also going to be, along with Kerly, one of the primary ball-carriers in Wildcat plays this year. A big thing that can also not be undervalued, especially for this team, is the guy is a phenomenal special teamer. In addition to being able to work in as a returner on both kick and punt returns as needed, the guy is one hell of a gunner.

Powell - Insurance for Greene in case he can't handle that full load, and as I said before, this year's late season / post season destroyer. The Jets have seen first hand what having a strong, healthy back late in the year can do for your team, and they'll be thrilled to do it all over again this year.

I would be absolutely shocked if any one of these guys went anywhere this year.

what I think is going to happen Kleck is McKnight is going to take another shot to the head and the Jets will hide him on injured reserve for a good part of the season-you watch, they've done that stuff before. Let's face it throw him on the practice squad and he gets snapped up in a heartbeat by the Cardinals or Patriots or Miami-all teams still looking for a RB-The Cards just lost a back yesterday

Honestly, I think people are letting opinions of McKnight based on last years preseason/camp to get to them too much. The word out of camp this year has been nothing but positive on McKnight, and the Jets have made it repeatedly known that they very much plan on getting him involved on offense. Like I said in my post just before, I think they'll be more than happy to carry 4 HBs / 1 FB, and considering they had 5 RBs last year with carrying 3 HBs / 2 FBs, I'm not sure it'll be an issue at all for the roster.

None of them are getting cut. The Jets have pretty much already made it known they plan on carrying 3 HBs into the season. Considering the fact that they had 4 TEs and 2 FBs last year, it shouldn't be too difficult to make room for them all. The fact is each of these guys all have very specific roles on this team this year, and they're all different. Frankly, I would bet anything that you'll see next to nothing from Powell early in the season this year, and they're going to let him be that guy that Greene was these past few years, the one who shows up in December, January and February completely fresh and healthy to start running over worn down defenses left and right. Not to mention, I have found it interesting that numerous times this preseason Ryan has made reference to the sitting back and learning they had both Greene and McKnight do early in their rookie seasons and while it's certainly not a common practice around the NFL, it's clearly something the Jets prefer to do. I think it really breaks down like this:

Greene - Primary back for the year, expected to carry the rock early in the season and take the brunt of the punishment, using his strong running style to beat down on Ds.

LT - 3rd down back. The guy is still unquestionably by far the best at this category on this team, and that alone will keep him his job. He's a great pass blocker and still once of the best receiving backs in the league. The guy had over 50 catches from Sanchez last year, and they're not getting rid of that.

McKnight - Jack of all trades. You'll see him used everywhere. He'll be taking regular reps at RB to spell Greene/LT, while also get worked into the passing game, out of the back field as well as work him split out wide. He's also going to be, along with Kerly, one of the primary ball-carriers in Wildcat plays this year. A big thing that can also not be undervalued, especially for this team, is the guy is a phenomenal special teamer. In addition to being able to work in as a returner on both kick and punt returns as needed, the guy is one hell of a gunner.

Powell - Insurance for Greene in case he can't handle that full load, and as I said before, this year's late season / post season destroyer. The Jets have seen first hand what having a strong, healthy back late in the year can do for your team, and they'll be thrilled to do it all over again this year.

I would be absolutely shocked if any one of these guys went anywhere this year.

another great post by BG...my only point of contention and biggest question mark is Shonn Green-he's starting to feel like Lamont Jordan to me-a guy who never really gets his chance because of circumstance...his concern for me is his ability to stay on the field

Honestly, I think people are letting opinions of McKnight based on last years preseason/camp to get to them too much. The word out of camp this year has been nothing but positive on McKnight, and the Jets have made it repeatedly known that they very much plan on getting him involved on offense. Like I said in my post just before, I think they'll be more than happy to carry 4 HBs / 1 FB, and considering they had 5 RBs last year with carrying 3 HBs / 2 FBs, I'm not sure it'll be an issue at all for the roster.

I agree... look at the last 3 years of NFL drafts... BUSTS all over the place... really thin on depth of talent... I think we're seeing a swoon where college players just need more time to come around at the NFL level. 5 years ago it seemed like every player was a home run... ebb and flow.

Plus Powell has the ability to catch out of the backfield. He and Patrick Turner are shaping up to be the darkhorses on the offensive side of the ball. If they continue to produce at a high level, they will both have spots on the active roster. Really impressed with both of them.

Turner did look pretty good in the first preseason game. I think he caught practically everything thrown at him. Cumberland looked really good also. He was breaking tackles left and right and caught everything over the middle.

This kid is the whole package and he runs hard. I love Shonn Greene but something tells me this kid is going to be the starting back at some point in the next few years maybe even this one. Weve all seen backs come out of nowhere in this league when the starter gets hurt during the season. I also would not mind a solid 1/2 punch of greene and powell

I agree... look at the last 3 years of NFL drafts... BUSTS all over the place... really thin on depth of talent... I think we're seeing a swoon where college players just need more time to come around at the NFL level. 5 years ago it seemed like every player was a home run... ebb and flow.

For sure. I think a large part of it is that we've seen an infusion of youth the last few years in the NFL. 5-6 years ago, the NFL's best players were pretty much all older-vet types that had already been around for about 10 years. We have seen guys like Favre, Mawae, Tomlinson, Jason Taylor, Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Ty Law, and countless others, were all long tenured vets that up until that period of time you're talking about ('05-'07) were the dominant players in the league. As they started to fall off, teams started drafting guys to replace them, and the emphasis was on youth. Now what you have is all of those guys that were drafted in that period are hitting the primes of their careers, making it tougher for a rookie to come in and beat out what's already in place. There will be the occasional freak of nature that will be able to, and the occasional right place right time guy that gets drafted into a good situation for him to contribute right away...

In 5 or 6 years, when we see guys like Brady, Manning, Revis, Aso, and the rest of those draft classes starting to decline and retire, we will probably see an influx in the amount of drafted players starting or contributing in a major way beginning their rookie years. Ebb and flow is a good way to put it.

Turner did look pretty good in the first preseason game. I think he caught practically everything thrown at him. Cumberland looked really good also. He was breaking tackles left and right and caught everything over the middle.

The thing that impressed me about Turner, considering he is known as a tall, speedy WR type, was his ability to catch balls over the middle and run crisp routes. He also caught a 20 yd TD pass with the 1s in 2 min drills at some point this week, and I read somewhere it was the 1st 2 minute drill TD reception by the 1st team in all of TC so far. I think this kid's gonna be a sleeper this year. Wouldnt be surprised at all to see him lined up in real games as well throughout the course of the year.

As for Cumberland, he was a WR in college, we all knew he was a good receiving TE... His problem was, and still is, that he still needs to put on some weight and improve his blocking for him to become an effective all-around TE. I definitely do like his hands and speed though, think we can use him here and there to create mismatches in the passing game.

another great post by BG...my only point of contention and biggest question mark is Shonn Green-he's starting to feel like Lamont Jordan to me-a guy who never really gets his chance because of circumstance...his concern for me is his ability to stay on the field

Completely agreed, which is why I think the Powell pick, in part, was the Jets hedging their bets against Greene. That said, Greene's biggest problem these past two years have been starting out slow, and that had been apparent from reports of him showing up to training camp out of shape those years as well. If nothing else, this year he seems to have come to camp in much better shape, so hopefully that will help him get off to a fast start. If not, don't think for a moment the Jets won't be glad to show us more of our other guys. My guess is the Jets are hoping to be able to run Greene into the ground for these next two years, let him walk when his contract is up and then move on to Powell as that guy.

I made it known, heading into our first preseason game on Monday night, that we had plenty of talented sleepers to look forward to in Jeff Cumberland, Bilal Powell and Josh Mauga. All three showed out. I've never understood how a football fan couldn't enjoy his teams preseason games, when it's meant for evaluating your depth, role players, young talents and sleepers. Now, I've been a fan of these kids since I've started reading reports and watching video on. Not to brag (Ok, I'm bragging), but this is what I posted on the 2nd page of the official Jets vs Texans gameday thread....

"Can't sleep on this kid... He's the truth, can't wait to see plenty of Powell during the 2nd half tonigh! 204 pounds of nothing but speed, power and field vision."

But yeah, I was very impressed with Powell on Monday night, but I wasn't shocked. This kid can play. He put up 9 rushing attempts for only 25 yards, but Powell was most impressive catching the football out of the backfield with 3 catches for 27 yards. I'm hopeful that we do, but I can't picture us going into the regular season with 4 RB's in Shonn Greene, LT, Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell. No matter how amped I am for Powell, I can't picture Joe McKnight getting cut, all because we have another talented rookie in Powell. I'm very disappointed with some Jet fans who feel like McKnight has nothing to offer, all because Powell looks to be another keeper. Bilal's time will come, but it may not be this year as a rookie (unless one of our 3 backs go down due to an injury).

Joe McKnight is only a 2nd year player, a 2nd year player with plenty of promise. He may of had some 'out of shape conditioning problems' during the offseason last year, but he came on strong for us heading into the playoffs. He's shown us plenty of heart. This kid never quit, he kept on fighting for a roster spot. In my eyes, he's earned his roster spot this season. He only had 7 carries heading into that Buffalo game last season. He picked up 31 yards. The first chance he had to impact? He dominated that Buffalo defense with 32 rushes for 158 rushing yards (average of 4.9 yards per carry) along with 2 catches out of the backfield for 15 yards. He's also been one of our main talks this offseason. He's came into training camp in excellent physical condition and he's also been very productive on the football field. You don't cut a player like this, or send him to the practice squad... All because we have a rookie with talent and potential as well. McKnight was also impressive against the Texans with 5 rushes for 24 yards (average of 4.8 yards per carry). If anything, Powell is the back that we see hit the practice squard until a player goes down due to injury, or simply emerges onto the scene next year after Ladainian Tomlinson moves on. I'd love to see all 4 on the depth chart, but if any RB leaves for the time being... It's going to be Powell. He's only a rookie, there is no reason to rush his development, not when we already have 3 capable backs ahead of Powell.

I made it known, heading into our first preseason game on Monday night, that we had plenty of talented sleepers to look forward to in Jeff Cumberland, Bilal Powell and Josh Mauga. All three showed out. I've never understood how a football fan couldn't enjoy his teams preseason games, when it's meant for evaluating your depth, role players, young talents and sleepers. Now, I've been a fan of these kids since I've started reading reports and watching video on. Not to brag (Ok, I'm bragging), but this is what I posted on the 2nd page of the official Jets vs Texans gameday thread....

"Can't sleep on this kid... He's the truth, can't wait to see plenty of Powell during the 2nd half tonigh! 204 pounds of nothing but speed, power and field vision."

But yeah, I was very impressed with Powell on Monday night, but I wasn't shocked. This kid can play. He put up 9 rushing attempts for only 25 yards, but Powell was most impressive catching the football out of the backfield with 3 catches for 27 yards. I'm hopeful that we do, but I can't picture us going into the regular season with 4 RB's in Shonn Greene, LT, Joe McKnight and Bilal Powell. No matter how amped I am for Powell, I can't picture Joe McKnight getting cut, all because we have another talented rookie in Powell. I'm very disappointed with some Jet fans who feel like McKnight has nothing to offer, all because Powell looks to be another keeper. Bilal's time will come, but it may not be this year as a rookie (unless one of our 3 backs go down due to an injury).

Joe McKnight is only a 2nd year player, a 2nd year player with plenty of promise. He may of had some 'out of shape conditioning problems' during the offseason last year, but he came on strong for us heading into the playoffs. He's shown us plenty of heart. This kid never quit, he kept on fighting for a roster spot. In my eyes, he's earned his roster spot this season. He only had 7 carries heading into that Buffalo game last season. He picked up 31 yards. The first chance he had to impact? He dominated that Buffalo defense with 32 rushes for 158 rushing yards (average of 4.9 yards per carry) along with 2 catches out of the backfield for 15 yards. He's also been one of our main talks this offseason. He's came into training camp in excellent physical condition and he's also been very productive on the football field. You don't cut a player like this, or send him to the practice squad... All because we have a rookie with talent and potential as well. McKnight was also impressive against the Texans with 5 rushes for 24 yards (average of 4.8 yards per carry). If anything, Powell is the back that we see hit the practice squard until a player goes down due to injury, or simply emerges onto the scene next year after Ladainian Tomlinson moves on. I'd love to see all 4 on the depth chart, but if any RB leaves for the time being... It's going to be Powell. He's only a rookie, there is no reason to rush his development, not when we already have 3 capable backs ahead of Powell.

While they likely won't all make the active game day roster, I will guarantee all 4 make the final 53. The Jets never would've even drafted Powell if they weren't ok with carrying 4 HBs into the regular season. I agree with you on your overall analysis, and think that the Jets do as well, which is why Powell will be at the bottom of the HB depth chart, but he'll still be on this team for sure.

Consider the fact that the Jets carried 5 RBs last year with 3 HBs / 2 FBs, and now with Conner starting and Richardson gone, the Jets can easily swing that empty FB roster spot from last year over to another HB. Not to mention, the team also carried 4 TEs last year, which they are unlikely to do again this year. There's no doubt the Jets will be able to make room at the bottom of the roster to keep all of these guys. If anything, Powell will be this year's version of what Greene was his rookie year, starting off the season inactive week after week until late in the season when they bring in the fresh, young kid to come in and start running people over.

Archived