Winners and Losers from Jets Win

flgreen

Winners and losers from Jets' win

| More Print

9:49 AM, August 22, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets registered their first win of the 2011 preseason (I know, very exciting), and they showed some very good signs in the 27-7 victory over the Bengals Sunday night at New Meadowlands Stadium.

I plan on watching the game again later, but here are my initial winners and losers for the Jets from the game:

WINNERS

1. PLAXICO BURRESS – No surprise here. Burress stole the show against the Bengals. After nearly three years away from a football field, Burress delivered on his promise and looked like he was never gone. On the 26-yard touchdown pass, quarterback Mark Sanchez saw the Bengals were blitzing and signaled to Burress to run the fade. It’s a good sign that after three practices these two are already communicating like that.

2. DUSTIN KELLER – The Jets offense sputtered through most of the first half, but on second-and-ten from their own 1, Keller broke free and Sanchez hit him for a 43-yard gain that sparked a 99-yard touchdown drive. Keller had four catches in the game. With Burress and Santonio Holmes on the outside, the fourth-year tight end is going to be a key piece of the Jets offense.

3. JIM LEONHARD – After suffering a broken leg last December, the Jets safety has said he feels good all training camp. He proved he was all the way back with his first-quarter interception and 35-yard return against the Bengals. Leonhard weaved through traffic to bring the ball to the 10.

LOSERS

1. THE O LINE – Ground and pound did not gain much ground Sunday night. When the starting offense was in, the Jets rushed for just 16 yards. Starter Brandon Moore did not play and running back Shonn Greene was out, but you still expect more from this group. They did better in pass protection, but there were no holes for LaDainian Tomlinson.

2. JOE NAMATH – Here is where Twitter is a dangerous thing. Jets legend Joe Namath tweets during the games, and he offers some interesting insight at times. At others? Not so much. Sunday night this tweet went out from @realjoenamath, “Gotta love seeing wet cheerleaders.” Oh boy. Yes, the Jets “Flight Crew” looked like they were in a Motley Crue video bouncing around soaking wet. Considering Namath’s past antics (see Kolber, Suzy), he needs to think before tweeting.

3. BILAL POWELL – The fourth-round pick has had an unimpressive training camp, and he did nothing to impress on Sunday. He tied Tomlinson for the team lead with nine carries, finishing with 22 yards. Powell had an increased role with Greene out, and a chance to impress. Instead, he delivered a dud. Joe McKnight, and even Chris Jennings, outperformed Powell.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/winners_and_losers_from_jets_win_enX65B54QY57rysZ74KqXL#ixzz1Vlzd47Ru

Winners and losers from Jets' win

| More Print

9:49 AM, August 22, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

The Jets registered their first win of the 2011 preseason (I know, very exciting), and they showed some very good signs in the 27-7 victory over the Bengals Sunday night at New Meadowlands Stadium.

I plan on watching the game again later, but here are my initial winners and losers for the Jets from the game:

WINNERS

1. PLAXICO BURRESS – No surprise here. Burress stole the show against the Bengals. After nearly three years away from a football field, Burress delivered on his promise and looked like he was never gone. On the 26-yard touchdown pass, quarterback Mark Sanchez saw the Bengals were blitzing and signaled to Burress to run the fade. It’s a good sign that after three practices these two are already communicating like that.

2. DUSTIN KELLER – The Jets offense sputtered through most of the first half, but on second-and-ten from their own 1, Keller broke free and Sanchez hit him for a 43-yard gain that sparked a 99-yard touchdown drive. Keller had four catches in the game. With Burress and Santonio Holmes on the outside, the fourth-year tight end is going to be a key piece of the Jets offense.

3. JIM LEONHARD – After suffering a broken leg last December, the Jets safety has said he feels good all training camp. He proved he was all the way back with his first-quarter interception and 35-yard return against the Bengals. Leonhard weaved through traffic to bring the ball to the 10.

LOSERS

1. THE O LINE – Ground and pound did not gain much ground Sunday night. When the starting offense was in, the Jets rushed for just 16 yards. Starter Brandon Moore did not play and running back Shonn Greene was out, but you still expect more from this group. They did better in pass protection, but there were no holes for LaDainian Tomlinson.

2. JOE NAMATH – Here is where Twitter is a dangerous thing. Jets legend Joe Namath tweets during the games, and he offers some interesting insight at times. At others? Not so much. Sunday night this tweet went out from @realjoenamath, “Gotta love seeing wet cheerleaders.” Oh boy. Yes, the Jets “Flight Crew” looked like they were in a Motley Crue video bouncing around soaking wet. Considering Namath’s past antics (see Kolber, Suzy), he needs to think before tweeting.

3. BILAL POWELL – The fourth-round pick has had an unimpressive training camp, and he did nothing to impress on Sunday. He tied Tomlinson for the team lead with nine carries, finishing with 22 yards. Powell had an increased role with Greene out, and a chance to impress. Instead, he delivered a dud. Joe McKnight, and even Chris Jennings, outperformed Powell.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/winners_and_losers_from_jets_win_enX65B54QY57rysZ74KqXL#ixzz1Vlzd47Ru

My Lord do I hate the "holier than thou" judgmental media. So Joe Namath, who became a sex symbol with help from the media, should be judged from afar for making a sexy comment about a sexy group of women who were hired for NO OTHER reason than sex appeal? Give me a break. This Costello dude is either so full of it or he's the one guy in the group who objects to the crew going out to a strip club because it demeans women. And for the record if Joe was as red nosed as Rudolph and sloshed to the max when tweeting this, good for him. Not because drinking is so cool, but if Joe wants to leave this planet due to a pickled liver, fine. The man has done enough on this Earth to go out however he wants, and if that means with his glass of Johnny Walker Red, good for him. This is the Namath everyone of us cherishes, not some bland PC robot who wants to know a woman for her IQ.

Sunday night this tweet went out from @realjoenamath, “Gotta love seeing wet cheerleaders.” Oh boy. Yes, the Jets “Flight Crew” looked like they were in a Motley Crue video bouncing around soaking wet.

I don't see anything wrong with that. :)

P.S : Who over here would not love seeing wet cheeleaders ?

Brian Costello began covering the Jets in July 2011

So this knucklehead has been around for about a month, and the first thing he wants to do is call Joe Namath a loser?

I guess he went to the Rich Cimini school of journalism.

Why does he care about Joe Namath? The dude is notorious for comments like that. Calling him a "loser" of that game, is beyond stupid when it has nothing to do with the game. But that's what these media clowns do. When good things happen on the field, they can't simply let it be, they need to dig deeper and desperately find something... anything to spread that negativity. Damn vultures.

My Lord do I hate the "holier than thou" judgmental media. So Joe Namath, who became a sex symbol with help from the media, should be judged from afar for making a sexy comment about a sexy group of women who were hired for NO OTHER reason than sex appeal? Give me a break. This Costello dude is either so full of it or he's the one guy in the group who objects to the crew going out to a strip club because it demeans women. And for the record if Joe was as red nosed as Rudolph and sloshed to the max when tweeting this, good for him. Not because drinking is so cool, but if Joe wants to leave this planet due to a pickled liver, fine. The man has done enough on this Earth to go out however he wants, and if that means with his glass of Johnny Walker Red, good for him. This is the Namath everyone of us cherishes, not some bland PC robot who wants to know a woman for her IQ.

The turning point for me was when they start hitting on Ines Sainz. How dare they treat such a classy lady as if she's a sex object?

The turning point for me was when they start hitting on Ines Sainz. How dare they treat such a classy lady as if she's a sex object?

Seriously. It's not like she dresses like a sex object or anything... oh wait...

I caught a lot of the game. Plax looked really good. I thought Sanchez was a little off-target - but the wide-outs bailed him out with some great catches. Keller could be, should be a demon on your offense. Most team's middle of the field d sucks - there are some below average safties out there and lb's that can't cover - advantage any offense with a good pass catching TE. O-line was inconsistent, but generally decent except for #60 (D'Brick?) who was owned.

My guess? Dog fight for AFC East Supremacy with the healthiest team winning it.

I caught a lot of the game. Plax looked really good. I thought Sanchez was a little off-target - but the wide-outs bailed him out with some great catches. Keller could be, should be a demon on your offense. Most team's middle of the field d sucks - there are some below average safties out there and lb's that can't cover - advantage any offense with a good pass catching TE. O-line was inconsistent, but generally decent except for #60 (D'Brick?) who was owned.

My guess? Dog fight for AFC East Supremacy with the healthiest team winning it.

I assume this dog fight you refer to is strictly limited to the Jets and Pats, right? Just making sure you haven't completely lost it. :-P

Joe def sips blue label.

I assume this dog fight you refer to is strictly limited to the Jets and Pats, right? Just making sure you haven't completely lost it. :-P

Yes, but I think Miami's defense will be good and the Bills will be much improved. I swear, the only lay-up game either team has is the Washington Redskins who will be fighting with the Panthers, Bengals and Seahawks for supreme suckage.

Yes, but I think Miami's defense will be good and the Bills will be much improved. I swear, the only lay-up game either team has is the Washington Redskins who will be fighting with the Panthers, Bengals and Seahawks for supreme suckage.

I would be surprised if Miami wins more than 4-5 games. The Bills look better. Think the Dolphags end up at the bottom of the barrell!!!

Not according to Rex Grossman. He says they will win the NFCE.

Game review: Jets-Bengals

August, 22, 2011

Aug 22

2:30

PM ET

Email

Print

Comments10

By Rich Cimini

A look back at some of the positive and negative performances from the Jets' 27-7 victory over the Bengals:

THREE UP

1. Plaxico Burress. You couldn't have scripted a better debut. The attributes that made him a very good receiver before jail were on display -- his athleticism (see his 26-yard, circus TD catch), his size, his wingspan and his ability to outjump defenders (see his 20-yard catch over CB Leon Hall). It was hard to get a read on his speed, but that never was a big part of his game anway.

2. Joe McKnight. After missing a few days with a concussion, McKnight (seven rushes for 36 yards) delivered one of his better performances, locking up the No. 3 RB job. Capitalizing on the lack of backside discipline in the Bengals' defense, McKnight made some nice cutbacks, showing his burst. He also scored on a 4-yard reception, his first professional touchdown.

3. Eric Smith. A year ago, Smith and Brodney Pool were neck-and-neck for the starting safety job opposite Jim Leonhard. This year, Smith has separated himself. He received a three-year, $7.5 million contract, a nice vote of confidence by the organization, and he has responded with a strong camp. Against the Bengals, he intercepted a pass, demonstrating quick hands on a deflection, and later broke up another pass.

THREE DOWN

1. LaDainian Tomlinson. With Shonn Greene (foot) sitting out, Tomlinson played 31 out of 32 snaps in the first half, but he gained only 16 yards on nine carries. A couple of times, he was victimized by poor blocking, but there were times when he appeared a split-second slow to the hole. Based on his body language, Tomlinson seemed frustrated, but it was hard to tell if he was upset with himself or his blockers or both. He also dropped a pass and was late on a blitz pick-up that resulted in a sack.

2. Jeremy Kerley. The rookie receiver, the talk of camp, crashed back to earth. The usually sure-handed fifth-round pick dropped a pass and mishandled a punt. With Derrick Mason (knee) out, Kerley received a lot of playing time as the No. 3 receiver. He was targeted four times, but only one was completed.

3. Kyle Wilson/Donald Strickland. Neither cornerback, both competing for the nickel-back job, had a particularly strong game. Strickland was beat by Andre Caldwell for 30 yards, and Wilson was picked on twice in the red zone by rookie QB Andy Dalton. On a third-and-7 from the 11, the Jets blitzed, leaving Wilson in man-to-man coverage on slot receiver Jordan Shipley. Wilson gave too much cushion, resulting in a 10-yard completion. The coaches have been talking up Wilson, probably as a way to rebuild his confidence. Now it's time to validate to chatter.

Agreed with the UPs. Hard for me to say being so critical of Smith over the years, but maybe he's turned a corner since the end of last season when he played well.

Downs

1. LT - looks done. Sad as he won me over last year when I was a big h8er of LT.

2. Kerley - he dropped 1 pass that he got rocked on, Sanchez threw it high, over the middle with 2 defends literally hanging on his back. And I'm not going to knock him on how he was fielding those booming kicks. The punter was on fire. I'm still confident in Kerley.

3. Wilson looked good, but definitely got beat by Shipley on a crucial 3rd down. HAVE to get off the field there or at least not give them a first, let alone on the 1 yard line. Strickland looked fine to me, he got beat once. That actually happens from time to time. Weird, I know.

Agreed with the UPs. Hard for me to say being so critical of Smith over the years, but maybe he's turned a corner since the end of last season when he played well.

Downs

1. LT - looks done. Sad as he won me over last year when I was a big h8er of LT.

I sorta disagree with you here. Not saying it's not true, but I think the jury is still out for 2 reasons: Ducasse was at RG, and the Bengals were stacking the box ALL NIGHT. It's pretty tough to run against a stacked box no matter who you are.

I sorta disagree with you here. Not saying it's not true, but I think the jury is still out for 2 reasons: Ducasse was at RG, and the Bengals were stacking the box ALL NIGHT. It's pretty tough to run against a stacked box no matter who you are.

Good point. But he's down on first contact. He was reminiscent of Thomas Jones. Run into the a$$ of the guard and go down.

He's still an excellent 3rd down back as a receiving option. But running back, I dunno if he's got any left in that dept. I hope you're right, I was an LT h8r for a long time, but he really won me over last season.

Good point. But he's down on first contact. He was reminiscent of Thomas Jones. Run into the a$$ of the guard and go down.

He's still an excellent 3rd down back as a receiving option. But running back, I dunno if he's got any left in that dept. I hope you're right, I was an LT h8r for a long time, but he really won me over last season.

That's the thing though, even if he's losing it as a runner, I think you hit it on the head there, the guy is still one of the best 3rd down backs in the league, as both a pass blocker and receiver, and that still holds a lot of value with this team. There was no doubt that LT was a big help to Sanchez last year and having that checkdown option is something that every QB needs at some point, and with the changes to the WR corps, keeping another guy Sanchez is comfortable with is a plus. That's a skill set that's still of great value to the Jets and unless there's a very good offer made to the Jets, I don't think they have much interest in changing that.

Plaxico Burress was by far, hands down, the story of the night. The performance of Plaxico alone has me feeling like our entire offense came out as big time winners. I believe it's safe to say that we now have two true #1 WR's in Holmes and Burress working the outside. That'll become tough to stop. Granted it's only a preseason game, but Burress looks to be in mid-season form after not only being away from the game of football for going on three years, but also missing most of training camp. Plaxico looked scary good last night. What a steal for our front office.

Sanchez was another winner last night. He led a 99 yard drive and finished the first half going 12/20, 173 yards, 2 TD's/0 INT's. For one half of football? That's pretty impressive. Sanchez has impressed during both preseason games. He's improved his accuracy thus far. As of right now, he's up to 66%. 18/27, 216 yards, 2 TD's / 0 INT's after two preseason games. I've loved the accuracy of Sanchez thus far. He's on the verge of breaking out this season, no doubt about it.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Cant-Miss-Play-Plaxico-Burress-TD-Catch/a085702c-80cc-4bcb-aeba-68702d75c458

Archived