metlife taser fiasco

ylekram

Cowboys fan uses Taser gun on Jets crowd at MetLife Stadium despite security on 9/11 anniversary

BY Gary Myers, Frank Digiacomo AND Bill Hutchinson

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Originally Published:Monday, September 12th 2011, 6:49 PM

Updated: Tuesday, September 13th 2011, 12:03 AM

Leroy McKelvey was charged with felony aggravated assault, felony possession of a stun gun and illegal possession of a weapon.

Aaron Showalter for News

Leroy McKelvey was charged with felony aggravated assault, felony possession of a stun gun and illegal possession of a weapon.

A diehard Cowboys fan wildly fired a stun gun in a crowd at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands injuring three people, including a Marine, cops said Monday.

Leroy McKelvey, 59, of Moncks Corner, S.C., used a Taser gun on Jets fans during an upper-deck brawl at halftime Sunday night, said Sgt. Julian Castellanos of the New Jersey State Police.

McKelvey is the father of Power 105.1 deejay Charlamagne Tha God, co-host of "The Breakfast Club."

Three men suffered minor injuries in the fracas at the nationally televised football game.

The melee erupted after a Marine became annoyed at McKelvey and his friends for not taking their hats off or standing during the National Anthem and speaking loudly during "Taps" and "Amazing Grace."

Witnesses told cops McKelvey got into a fight with the Marine, who was sitting at the end of his row in section 324 and refused to let him out to go to the restroom at halftime.

McKelvey pulled a stun gun from his pocket and fired, hitting the unidentified Marine in the neck and sending him tumbling down six rows, witnesses told cops.

The suspect's son said that his dad is a devout Jehovah's Witness and doesn't believe in standing for the Pledge of Allegiance or National Anthem.

"He's not a violent guy at all. He just likes to have fun," Charlamagne Tha God told the Daily News. "I would hope that an altercation didn't happen because of him not standing for the National Anthem."

It was not immediately clear how McKelvey snuck a Taser into MetLife Stadium, where there was tight security because of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and because former President George W. Bush was at the game.

McKelvey's son blamed Jets coach Rex Ryan for creating a hostile environment at the game by saying in earlier press conferences that "it's probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff" to MetLife Stadium.

"He shouldn't have had a taser on him. But I really feel he took a risk because he felt threatened," said Charlamagne Tha God, explaining his father was wearing a Cowboys hat and jersey and sports tattoos of Cowboy stars on his shoulder and right forearm.

He said his dad suffered a broken nose in the fight.

"He got jumped by Jets fans when the Cowboys were leading by two touchdowns, so he was just defending himself," the son said.

The Jets mounted a second-half comeback to win the season opener 27-24.

McKelvey was charged with felony aggravated assault, felony possession of a stun gun and illegal possession of a weapon.

His son posted the $22,500 bail and was waiting Monday night for his father to be released from Bergen County Jail.

whutchinson@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...l#ixzz1Xq9ZZfFm

This guy is a piece of ******* sh*t and so clearly is his garbage son. Here's hoping he spends a nice long trip behind bars and is left walking with a limp for the rest of his life after his fellow inmates are done with him.

Uhm, he's a Cowboys fan.

I like how these unpatirotic types hide behind their devotion to religion as an excuse to disrespect our country. It's pretty obvious the son is trying to do spin for him. I hope the NY radio audience lets him know how they feel.

True, and it's total bullsh*t.

I know Jehovah Witnesses and while they are not supposed to pledge, they're supposed to sit silently and pray while the pledge, national anthem, etc. is going on. According to the story, this ahole was talking, etc. while it was going on. So he wasn't doing what Jehovah Witnesses are supposed to do.

I accept people's reasons for not pledging, but don't be disrespectful which this ahole was.

Green Lantern: ‘Stun Gun-Gate’ Has Exactly Zero To Do With Jets’ Rex

MetLife Incident Another Example Of People Avoiding Responsibility For Stupidity

September 13, 2011 2:30 PM

Fans hold up American Flags in the stands as the New York Jets play against the Dallas Cowboys during their NFL Season Opening Game at MetLife Stadium on Sept. 11, 2011 in East Rutherford, N.J. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

By Jeff Capellini, CBSNewYork/WFAN.com

NEW YORK (WFAN) — I was going to let this go, but now feel compelled to clear up a few things.

As you probably know by now, a man decided the prudent thing to do on Sunday was to bring a weapon of some kind into MetLife Stadium prior to the Cowboys-Jets game. He then allegedly decided to use that weapon on surrounding fans for reasons that are just coming to light. The stupidity surrounding this series of decisions is mind-boggling considering all we supposedly know about the laws of the United States.

But I sense that there will be people out there — and you know damn well who you are — who will blame Jets head coach Rex Ryan for the entire sordid incident. And if you do that, you’re just as much of an idiot as the guy who allegedly decided to become a vigilante on 9/11.

Last week Ryan playfully, in his own unique way, suggested it would be a bad idea for anyone to wear a Cowboys jersey to the game. If you know anything about the way Ryan speaks or operates he was in no way suggesting that if you did, indeed, wear a Cowboys jersey you should fear for your life. Some tried to spin it that way, of course, but Ryan was almost certainly just trying to rally his troops to turn MetLife into a sea of green — nothing more, nothing less.

Now you may be wondering why the head coach of a hometown NFL team would feel the need to actually have to tell his fans to show up en masse wearing their team’s colors. Sounds a little ridiculous, right? Well, historically, the Jets have run into problems inside their own stadium with many fans of opposing teams showing up. This has always been an annoying issue, more so in Giants Stadium than in the new building, but a problem nonetheless.

Prior to the Jets becoming an elite franchise under Ryan, they simply had a lot of fans who either gave their tickets away, sold them on sites like StubHub or didn’t show up because the team often let them down. They likely got tired or fed up with the inconsistency and losing, so they’d give their tickets to fans not necessarily allied with the Jets. What usually followed was a lot of animosity on the part of the loyal Gang Green fans that actually were showing up and, yes, in some cases there would be incidents in the stands, either because people didn’t like seeing opposing fans in their building or for any number of other reasons — excessive drinking, frustration with the team’s poor play, etc.

Ryan understands this problem better than anyone. As good as the Jets are now, they still sometimes do not have a complete “green-out” in the building. Throw in the fact that the Cowboys’ fan base travels as well if not better than any franchise in the league and Ryan felt it was important to remind the Jets fans that MetLife is their house and they should make damn sure everyone knows it, not with fists, mind you, but with voices and colors.

To think he actually meant anything else is utter insanity. Is it Ryan’s job to take every last ignorant soul’s lack of brain matter into consideration before he opens his mouth? Absolutely not. Sooner or later people need to realize they are responsible for how they behave inside a sports stadium or arena. Finding someone to blame for your own stupidity has been a reoccurring problem in this country, and it seems to get worse on a daily basis.

I say point the finger at yourself for once. Man up and say “I was the idiot.” Rex’s words were, after all, just that, words. At the end of the day, your actions define who you are. What someone says, especially when those words are misinterpreted, are hardly a good enough reason to break the law.

stun gun MetLife Stadium

A still shot from a video showing the chaos following an alleged incident featuring a South Carolina man and a Taser. (credit: YouTube.com/iKiddDJPatriot)

And that’s exactly what this incident was all about — someone allegedly thinking they were above the law.

So now we turn to a video that has gone viral on the Internet. It shows absolute chaos in one of the sections. Police later arrested Leroy McKelvey of Moncks Corner, S.C., charging him with with three counts of aggravated assault and two weapons counts. The 59-year-old, father of Power 105.1 deejay Charlamagne Tha God, was taken to the Bergen County Jail where bail was set at $22,500.

The accused man’s son then decided to tell the Daily News that he felt his father “felt threatened” at the game. My question is did he feel threatened before the game or once he got there? Because it sounds to me like his alleged decision to bring the stun gun to the stadium was premeditated. I mean, how is he going to know he’s going to feel threatened at a football game until he gets to his seat and surveys the landscape?

The son also told the newspaper his father is a Jehovah’s Witness and is against the idea of standing for the national anthem. Well, from where I am standing it seems like that would be something to feel more threatened over than the fact that he wore a Cowboys jersey to an opposing stadium, regardless of the call to arms Ryan made earlier in the media.

Maybe the guy just has a thing for stun guns. There are a lot of people that do. Hey, to each is own, but you better be prepared for the consequences if you do.

This guy, if indeed he’s guilty, obviously wasn’t.

Think about it. Sunday was the 10th anniversary of 9/11. Americans by and large, especially New Yorkers and other residents of the Tri-State Area, take that date on the calendar very seriously. If you don’t stand for the anthem on that day, if indeed McKelvey didn’t, you are asking for a backlash. Now while it is McKelvey’s right to choose to not stand, it is also the right of the fans in his vicinity to object to the fact that he’s not standing. It would be the case on any day, Sept. 11, 2011, notwithstanding.

Admittedly, details of what caused the accused to start zapping people are murky. According to the Daily News, the fracas began because McKelvey and his entourage opted not to stand during the anthem. They also allegedly spoke during “Taps” and “Amazing Grace,” drawing the ire of a nearby Marine.

I also do not know who threw the first punch, or if even one was initially thrown. It shouldn’t matter. What’s important here is we all have a right to ask our fans to show their loyalty by wearing their jersey. We have a right to stand or to sit during the anthem. We have a right to object with words to someone not standing during the anthem.

We do not, however, have a right to carry an illegal weapon into a stadium. And we certainly do not have a right to use said illegal weapon at our discretion, if indeed that’s what McKelvey is proven to have done.

All that said, there will be people out there, some with very large megaphones, who will decide Ryan is to blame for all of this. Maybe they have an ax to grind with the Jets’ coach or maybe they simply don’t like the way he’s conducted his business since taking over two years ago. Perhaps these people aren’t Jets fans and just want to stir the pot, or maybe they are actually deranged enough to believe Rex was really asking NFL fans to arm themselves on 9/11 and to cause mayhem.

Again, my belief is Ryan simply was trying to create an atmosphere that was all about passion for the Jets. But even if I’m wrong and he actually had a more sinister plan in mind, as patently absurd as that notion is, he has a right to say whatever he wants.

When are people going to realize words do not equate to action? You have to choose to be a moron.

I know Jehovah Witnesses and while they are not supposed to pledge, they're supposed to sit silently and pray while the pledge, national anthem, etc. is going on. According to the story, this ahole was talking, etc. while it was going on. So he wasn't doing what Jehovah Witnesses are supposed to do.

Further, could someone get these crazy MF'ers to stop ringing my doorbell so early on the weekends. Next time they pull that crap, I am opening up my robe.

*** on soapbox ***

Just a thought. If you go to a game on 9/11 knowing full well this was a very unique day for America and displays of national pride, and then act like an a$$hole during those displays, you really are an idiot and an a$$hole and completely deserve a broken nose.

*** off soapbox ***

Further, could someone get these crazy MF'ers to stop ringing my doorbell so early on the weekends. Next time they pull that crap, I am opening up my robe.

Pouha did the early morning doorbell ringing for the Mormons for a year. I wonder how he would have reacted to the open robe move

Pouha did the early morning doorbell ringing for the Mormons for a year. I wonder how he would have reacted to the open robe move

If I saw Pouha though the peephole, I would greet him with Portuguese sausage, Spam and eggs. Breakfast of Super Bowl champions. :lol:

*** on soapbox ***

Just a thought. If you go to a game on 9/11 knowing full well this was a very unique day for America and displays of national pride, and then act like an a$$hole during those displays, you really are an idiot and an a$$hole and completely deserve a broken nose.

*** off soapbox ***

You're not really saying anything controversial there, NYC. LOL

It's pretty clear the cowboy fan provoked and escalated the situation.

The guy has a family? How did that conversation go down before he left for the game?

"Hey honey, heading out for the game now with the guys."

"OK. Are you sure you wanna wear that jersey? Emotions might be kind of high in there."

"No no, I'm good, I'm bringing the taser with me."

"Oh, well OK. Have fun, don't forget to pick up some milk on the way home."

The guy has a family? How did that conversation go down before he left for the game?

"OK. Are you sure you wanna wear that jersey? Emotions might be kind of high in there."

That night at the Marineshouse

Mrs Marine: How was the game honey?

Marine: I got tazed in the neck by a Mormon and the Jets won

Mrs Marine: GTFO............ The Jets Won?

His wife or Girlfriend was with him saying it was all the Marine's fault

You're not really saying anything controversial there, NYC. LOL

It's pretty clear the cowboy fan provoked and escalated the situation.

Seriously?

I don't think either party is right and the dude was definitely retarded for bringing a taser to a game but talking during the national anthem isn't an offense worthy of three men jumping a 59 year old. Pretty much nobody knows the whole story because neither side is going to take a non bias side in this and then adding that it's a sporting event so every Jet fan there would have the Jets fan back and vice versa just out of some retarded notion of loyalty and yet some of you would condemn the guy to getting his a$$ kicked without a second thought. All I can say is wow that's disappointing.

Seriously?

I don't think either party is right and the dude was definitely retarded for bringing a taser to a game but talking during the national anthem isn't an offense worthy of three men jumping a 59 year old. Pretty much nobody knows the whole story because neither side is going to take a non bias side in this and then adding that it's a sporting event so every Jet fan there would have the Jets fan back and vice versa just out of some retarded notion of loyalty and yet some of you would condemn the guy to getting his a$$ kicked without a second thought. All I can say is wow that's disappointing.

i beleive the real issue was talking loudly during taps,which is the ultimate disrespectful thing to do on absolutely the wrong day to do it.people think they can say and do whatever they like without consequences.WRONG.being an american, with the freedom of speech, i have the right to put on a white sheet, on martin luther king day, and go to a rap concert. do i not have an a$$ whooping coming? damn right i do!!! get real. this dude came to the game with trouble in mind.plain and simple. who cares if he was 59. he had 59 years to learn not to be a disrespectful punk.trouble making, disrespectful punks need to learn not to be trouble making,disrespectful punks

i beleive the real issue was talking loudly during taps,which is the ultimate disrespectful thing to do on absolutely the wrong day to do it.people think they can say and do whatever they like without consequences.WRONG.being an american, with the freedom of speech, i have the right to put on a white sheet, on martin luther king day, and go to a rap concert. do i not have an a$$ whooping coming? damn right i do!!! get real. this dude came to the game with trouble in mind.plain and simple. who cares if he was 59. he had 59 years to learn not to be a disrespectful punk.trouble making, disrespectful punks need to learn not to be trouble making,disrespectful punks

Just no. If you are over the age of 20 you should be at the point to realize that getting into a fight or assualting someone over ******* words which are harmless and insignificant is ******* pathetic. You don't prove anything at all and the other person just confirms their belief in whatever they were doing, nothing productive comes from it you just look like an immature idiot.

For the most part, people generally suck.

Common courtesy and respect for other people has all but disappeared in 2011, whether it's sitting in a ball park listening to drunks spew slurs and obsenities in front of your 7 year old daughter, or driving on a highway and having some inconsiderate scumbag who wants to get to work two minutes earlier threaten your life by running you off the road trying to beat a red light, or sitting in a theatre having to listen to some jerk off talking through the movie.

80% of the population in this country are a$$holes who have no respect for others.

20% of the population are down to earth, good hearted people, who decide to stay home and watch the game on TV but because society has been overun with the other 80%.

I had season tickets for 25 years. I no longer go to the games ... partly because it got too expensive .... but mostly because it just wasn't fun having to tolerate people who have no respect for others.

I applaud the U.S. Marine and the other folks who, on this particular night, decided they were not going to tolerate it anymore by kicking the shi+ out of one of the 80% that decided that they were above the law.

Chauk one up for the minority.

or maybe the disrespectful punk might think twice, thus making the world a better place to live in. people are accountable for their actions

Except that won't happen, that never happens. All he thinks is the people who assaulted him are jerks which is true and he will ignore the fact that he also acted like a jerk and will place blame elsewhere.

Archived