Will Keller disappear? If so, when?

Jetsfan80

Last year, there was no better target for Sanchez over the course of weeks 2-4 than Dustin Keller. In those 3 games, he caught 17 balls for 241 yards (80 yards/game) and 5 TD's. We all thought he was poised for big things.

However, Keller finished the season with no-show performance after no-show performance. In his final 12 games, he caught 29 passes for 433 yards (36 y/g) and 0 TD's.

So will 2011 be another "hot start, lousy finish" type of season for Keller? From watching him, I think his route-running is better, and having Holmes and Plaxico on the outside as well as running more 2-TE sets is allowing him to get open downfield. He also, amazingly, is better after the catch.

What say you?

I think if they truly let Sanchez throw it more he'll be going to Keller plenty. I think last year you saw Santonio come in that he obsessively targeted him when he started and I think the later the year went on the more we tried running the ball. If our run game remains as morbid as it's been Keller is going to be perfect for those 4-6 yard tosses which replaces a run game.

Keller hired a new agent this year which means he is looking to renegotiate a new deal by seasons end. My guess is you will see far more focus from him than he had the last few years and it would not stun me if he was in better shape as well. This is going to be his numbers year to get the deal he wants so I dont think he will vanish at all.

I think he'll contribute this whole year depending on the health of our WR's. I think Plaxico's presence helps Keller find those underneath soft spots.

Keller has gotten better with his route running which is a credit to Moore. Keller praised Moore this offseason and I think it's really paying off. I hope it continues like that because Keller can be really dangerous in this offense with Plax and Holmes on the outside.

He's the receiver that Sanchez has the most familiarity with...and he's versatile in the fact that he lines up anywhere. With Plaxico drawing double coverage coupled with Holmes ability to spread the field and LT out of the backfield...Keller should see more match ups with safeties and LB'ers than he's ever seen before and those guy simply cant cover him.

I think if they truly let Sanchez throw it more he'll be going to Keller plenty. I think last year you saw Santonio come in that he obsessively targeted him when he started and I think the later the year went on the more we tried running the ball. If our run game remains as morbid as it's been Keller is going to be perfect for those 4-6 yard tosses which replaces a run game.

How much more do you want him to throw the football ?

Last year he threw 507 passes. 2009 it was 393.

The Jets went from about at 70-30 run pass ratio in 09 to bascially 50-50 run pass in 2010. (525-504).

When Holmes came off the 4 games suspension Keller's numbers started to go down. I hear people saying the Keller is Sanchez's favorite target but I need to see it for an entire season before I say that.

The TE is a great weapon that is coming back into vogue. The Jets have a really good one in Keller and they should target him more.

How much more do you want him to throw the football ?

Last year he threw 507 passes. 2009 it was 393.

The Jets went from about at 70-30 run pass ratio in 09 to bascially 50-50 run pass in 2010. (525-504).

When Holmes came off the 4 games suspension Keller's numbers started to go down. I hear people saying the Keller is Sanchez's favorite target but I need to see it for an entire season before I say that.

The TE is a great weapon that is coming back into vogue. The Jets have a really good one in Keller and they should target him more.

> 590.

It's all on what the defense gives Sanchez. Said it earlier in the week and I think a lot of people are ignoring just how poorly Jax was covering the middle of the field all game. It's almost impossible for a guy with Keller's skillset to have even an average game when the defense is giving that to him all day. The Jets have 3 very good pass catchers right now who are good in both short and longer fields, and Holmes is still the best guy on the field when the ball is in his hands, so I don't think that for the majority of our season he's going to be the primary target like that. It's also likely that either Burress or Mason catch their groove as the season progresses. I think Burress is going to blow up in the New England game tbh.

An extremely talented pass catching TE should always be considered as a quarterbacks 'best friend'. As Sanchez develops, we'll see Dustin Keller come into his own. It's all about Mark Sanchez, but that doesn't change the fact that Keller led all Jets in receptions last season. Regardless, Keller has already became our most talented/productive pass catching TE this franchise has seen in at least 20+ years.

It's all on what the defense gives Sanchez. Said it earlier in the week and I think a lot of people are ignoring just how poorly Jax was covering the middle of the field all game. It's almost impossible for a guy with Keller's skillset to have even an average game when the defense is giving that to him all day. The Jets have 3 very good pass catchers right now who are good in both short and longer fields, and Holmes is still the best guy on the field when the ball is in his hands, so I don't think that for the majority of our season he's going to be the primary target like that. It's also likely that either Burress or Mason catch their groove as the season progresses. I think Burress is going to blow up in the New England game tbh.

I personally think with how badly Stevie Johnson tore up the Raiders you'll see Santonio do the same. I believe they are similar players, with Santonio being a better route runner/quicker/faster.

Sanchez should be targeting Keller all season, and if what Jason says is true about this being a contract year, he should be there ready to make every catch. Those should be easy completions for Mark, and he should be taking full advantage of them. Schottie should be taking advantage, too, and maybe getting Cumberland out on the field with Keller more. If the running game continues to struggle, there's every reason to pull Conner for Cumberland.

This is why you don't change receivers every single year, especially with a young QB. Mark is targeting Keller right now because he has no chemistry at all with Plaxico or Mason... and Kerley has barely hit the field, so his options are just Holmes and Keller. In fairness to the Burress acquisition, he does draw double teams which has helped Keller remarkably, but it will be weeks before they're on the same page.

This is why you don't change receivers every single year, especially with a young QB. Mark is targeting Keller right now because he has no chemistry at all with Plaxico or Mason...

Edwards is an alcoholic with knee troubles who left on his own accord. Sanchez didn't even have chemistry with Cotchery last year so that's an invalid argument. He certainly has chemistry with Holmes, Keller and LT right now and that's good enough for me. Plax will come on strong by midseason, and I imagine Mason will prove to be a capable move-the-chains guy.

I personally think with how badly Stevie Johnson tore up the Raiders you'll see Santonio do the same. I believe they are similar players, with Santonio being a better route runner/quicker/faster.

Decent comparison. I'd say Holmes is the far superior athlete too. But your right, Holmes should be unstoppable this game (like usual) but Stevie was giving the double move and getting wide open...something Holmes excels in.

This is why you don't change receivers every single year, especially with a young QB. Mark is targeting Keller right now because he has no chemistry at all with Plaxico or Mason... and Kerley has barely hit the field, so his options are just Holmes and Keller. In fairness to the Burress acquisition, he does draw double teams which has helped Keller remarkably, but it will be weeks before they're on the same page.

Not to rehash an offseason argument, but he's still got 3 of his 4 favorite receivers returning. And those 2 other receivers that the Jets let g, arent even suiting up.

I'd say the Jets made all the right decisions from a WR perspective the way everything has panned out.

Ditto. And Ditto for Plax against the Pats in a few weeks. They have nobody who's been able to cover taller guys. Floyd was absolutely tearing them up for the first couple plays until he got knocked out and V-Jax worked them all day. Marshall as well. Yet to be seen whether Plax can still move like any of those guys, but I'm not so sure that he'll even have to.

Decent comparison. I'd say Holmes is the far superior athlete too. But your right, Holmes should be unstoppable this game (like usual) but Stevie was giving the double move and getting wide open...something Holmes excels in.

Not to rehash an offseason argument, but he's still got 3 of his 4 favorite receivers returning. And those 2 other receivers that the Jets let g, arent even suiting up.

I'd say the Jets made all the right decisions from a WR perspective the way everything has panned out.

Stevie = bigger. Holmes = quicker/faster. But I totally agree on your points.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he'll contribute for as long as we can get away with not using him as an extra blocker in pass protection. Plain and simple.

He'll vanish into thin air in Game 5.

So far, Il Mostro and I are the closest to be right... lets hope Keller the Patriot Killer can prove us all wrong and do something beyond the first 4 weeks of the year.

He looked like a scared turtle this past weekend, pulling his head into his shell every time he heard Ray Lewis's footsteps.

So far, Il Mostro and I are the closest to be right... lets hope Keller the Patriot Killer can prove us all wrong and do something beyond the first 4 weeks of the year.

He looked like a scared turtle this past weekend, pulling his head into his shell every time he heard Ray Lewis's footsteps.

I'd say bumping this thread after that game is sad.

Archived