Namath: "Rex Ryan has Jets thinking they're better than they actually are"

Vudu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone has the right to criticize the JETS it Joe Willie.

The performance of this team is not beyond criticism and Joe Namath is on the spot with his criticism.

all fans have the freedom to criticize just as they have the freedom to cheer when things are going well.

don't understand this whole "STFU you don't have the RIGHT (horrible use of the word, incidentally) to say anything bad about the team!"

all fans have the freedom to criticize just as they have the freedom to cheer when things are going well.

don't understand this whole "STFU you don't have the RIGHT (horrible use of the word, incidentally) to say anything bad about the team!"

I agree with you overall, but the reason I would say STFU to Namath (not because he doesn't have a right), but because of his high profile status and the vulture-nature of the media. Namath's comments are a distraction because the media has to run to Rex & the players and have them focus on them. His comments aren't helping the team.

I agree with you overall, but the reason I would say STFU to Namath (not because he doesn't have a right), but because of his high profile status and the vulture-nature of the media. Namath's comments are a distraction because the media has to run to Rex & the players and have them focus on them. His comments aren't helping the team.

ya well maybe they don't need the kind of help that shutting up provides maybe they need the kind of help that only the complaining of fans can provide

Joe Namath is the greatest Jet ever and he happens to be correct. Rex talks about his defense like they are the '85 bears or steel curtain. The fact is the defense is overall an above average group that has some speed issues, can't cover tight ends, and has basically stunk up the joint for 2 out of the 3 games this season. The offensive has has been horrible and is going to get Sanchez killed, Wayne Hunter is a waste, and we can't run the ball with any consistency. I am a jet fan who bleeds green but I have thought for some time that Rex overestimates this team. Rex has got to wake up, smell the coffee and kick some azz. Plain and simple. He was saying during preseason that this is the best roster he has had. Really? I don't think so. Namath is right.

^How is what Namath said constructive in the LEAST? He pretty much said the team isn't as good as Rex claims. Is he trying to make our players feel like crap? He didn't talk about how they can improve or even specifics of what went wrong. Like, do you or Namath honestly believe that the Jets think they are the best team ever and have nothing to improve on?? Really!?!? Stupid comments are stupid. There's absolutely no reason to think that Rex isn't trying to make the team improve EVERY WEEK. Just stop it with that nonsense. Namath's an idiot.

Make our players feel like crap. Yup, that's his agenda... To hurt their wittle feewings. Joe is saying that the team is buying into their own greatness, and forgetting to prove it. He's saying don't believe your own hype... It's not a stupid comment, or at least not stupid as implying he wanted to make them "feel bad". LOL

He was the one that made a superbowl guarantee back in the day and now that Rex is making similar comments he's taking it personally. **** off, Joe. Go root for the Patriots.

Who is taking what personally exactly here pal? You are cussing out Namath like he ran over your dog. At least Joe backed up his guarantee, btw.

Rex puts a target on his team's back every week with his attitude and his approach.

I must admit, I liked it at first because it had a good purpose ... helped changed the culture of the franchise.

But this is the drawback to that approach ... more criticism when things don't go right.

True. But don't think any opponent is any more or less motivated after kickoff.

What is fair is this team talks way too much, as if they are trying to convince everyone of their greatness. But that's still press stuff; it odesn't matter. It does indicate that soemtimes the Jets and Ryan think such nonsense is a good substitute for playing well. Yet Joe Flacco and Ray Rice will be no more or less motivated because of anything Bart Scott says.

The problem is production. Spare Tony Romo making an improbable mess this team would be 1-2. We have no pass rush and cannot stop the run. Offensively we have a weak OL and 2 highly paid and talented WRs that our OC has NO IDEA how to use.

All you guys out there telling Namath to shut up, go have another drink is just so immature. The man has every right to say that cause its true. Ive been a Jet fan over 30 yrs, I dont remember the '69 team that Namath won for the only Championship this team ever won. Joe loves this team and hes speaking like a fan. Im also tired of Rexes clown behavior and constant Super Bowl predictions, how about getting them prepared for a 60 min. game Rex, unlike last yrs. AFC Champsp. game? Dont get me wrong, I like Rex, he took this team to another level since hes been here. He made the Jets one of the elite teams in the league and very popular. But there comes a time where he has to tell them everythings not alright. Tackling sucks, O- line has to play much better,and stop the stupid penalties or Baltimore and Ray Rice will do the same thing that Oakland did, which is getting your a$$ kicked again!

^How is what Namath said constructive in the LEAST? He pretty much said the team isn't as good as Rex claims. Is he trying to make our players feel like crap? He didn't talk about how they can improve or even specifics of what went wrong. Like, do you or Namath honestly believe that the Jets think they are the best team ever and have nothing to improve on?? Really!?!? Stupid comments are stupid. There's absolutely no reason to think that Rex isn't trying to make the team improve EVERY WEEK. Just stop it with that nonsense. Namath's an idiot.

Anybody ever hear this line?

"Let's not put him in the hall of fame just yet, fellas".

It was a favorite reply of Bill Parcells whenever the media heaped praise on one of his players, even the great LT.

Parcells was a master psychologist when it came to motivating his players... he used this line ALL THE TIME to keep his players grounded.

He had three Super Bowl appearances and two championships to show for it.

I'm not saying Rex doesn't critique his players in private, but these are grown men and sometimes going off in public ain't a bad thing from a motivational perspective.

I'm a fan of Rex and while I think he's done an excellent job changing the culture of the Jets, he may need to change his methods just a little bit to get to the next level.

Player's coaches rarely win, especially in football, until they learn they can't always be the players best friends.

I think that's what Namath, who played under two very tough guys in Bear Bryant and Weeb Ewbank, was saying and the media, like they do everything, blew it out of proportion, and of course Rex, like he always does, took the bait and made it worse.

All that said, while I love Namath and don't disagree with what he said, I think he damages his legacy with Jets fans, especially the younger generation who never saw him play, when he goes off on the team and part of me wishes he wouldn't do it.

Joe Namath is the greatest Jet ever and he happens to be correct. Rex talks about his defense like they are the '85 bears or steel curtain. The fact is the defense is overall an above average group that has some speed issues, can't cover tight ends, and has basically stunk up the joint for 2 out of the 3 games this season. The offensive has has been horrible and is going to get Sanchez killed, Wayne Hunter is a waste, and we can't run the ball with any consistency. I am a jet fan who bleeds green but I have thought for some time that Rex overestimates this team. Rex has got to wake up, smell the coffee and kick some azz. Plain and simple. He was saying during preseason that this is the best roster he has had. Really? I don't think so. Namath is right.

Namath isn't the greatest Jet ever. At least his stats would disagree besides the 1 superbowl, which I admit, weighs heavily, but looking at his career as whole, it's not that impressive barring that one year. A legend for winning the superbowl, yes. Best Jet ever? No.

But why couldn't Namath actually give the Jets advice on why they lost, instead of acting like a pompous a$$hole and essentially saying they suck because they think they are better than they are? That's not even close to the reality of the situation. He sounds like some of the "sky is falling" people on here with comments like that.

Make our players feel like crap. Yup, that's his agenda... To hurt their wittle feewings. Joe is saying that the team is buying into their own greatness, and forgetting to prove it. He's saying don't believe your own hype... It's not a stupid comment, or at least not stupid as implying he wanted to make them "feel bad". LOL

I'm not saying that's his agenda, but his agenda clearly isn't helping the team. If it was, he'd be on the phone with Rex or Mark Sanchez giving advice and pointers, instead of venting anger and frustration to the media. Yes all of us were disappointed in the loss, it doesn't mean our team is a complete fraud. We still have some work to do on both the lines, but he's essentially blaming Rex for the loss, simply because he has confidence in the team. That's absurd, considering this guy has played football before and outta know there's way more involved in the game than hype speeches and motivation. When a former team legend continually spews negativity about the team it can be a downer. It's not like some average fan criticizing them. It's Joe ******* Namath, and honestly it makes him look like a prick. It was obvious to anyone our problem was defensive errors last game, along with a weak offensive line. It wasn't because Rex says the team is one of the best in the league in public. Namath took the low road here, and it's obvious. Call it like it is, Joe. Don't look for scapegoats.

All you guys out there telling Namath to shut up, go have another drink is just so immature. The man has every right to say that cause its true. Ive been a Jet fan over 30 yrs, I dont remember the '69 team that Namath won for the only Championship this team ever won. Joe loves this team and hes speaking like a fan. Im also tired of Rexes clown behavior and constant Super Bowl predictions, how about getting them prepared for a 60 min. game Rex, unlike last yrs. AFC Champsp. game? Dont get me wrong, I like Rex, he took this team to another level since hes been here. He made the Jets one of the elite teams in the league and very popular. But there comes a time where he has to tell them everythings not alright. Tackling sucks, O- line has to play much better,and stop the stupid penalties or Baltimore and Ray Rice will do the same thing that Oakland did, which is getting your a$$ kicked again!

Last I checked, games are won on the field, not in the media by what coaches or others say. Joe's ignoring the real problems and looking for a scapegoat aka Rex. Sure he's got a right to say whatever he wants, but it's not constructive to the team. The guy's won the big game before, his comments can weight heavily on the team. How about some advice? Some consultations? Anything? It just doesn't seem like the right way to motivate us to a win.

Namath should be on the phone with Sanchez after every game.. but then again, I don't wanna see Mark throw more picks than TDs for his career.

The Jets have gone 26-15 since Rex Ryan has taken over this football team. Which includes 4 playoff victories, all on the road, against teams and QB's such as Palmer and the Bengals, Rivers and the Chargers, Peyton Manning and the Colts, and Brady and the Patriots. We've also gone 3-2 against the Patriots since Rex Ryan has taken over.

We've ranked as the leagues #1 defense back in 2009 and also ranked as a top 5 defense last season. We ranked as the leagues #1 rushing attack and broke an all-time franchise record for most rushing yards during a single season back in 2009, and also ranked as a top 5 rushing offense last season.

We've done all of this, with a developing franchise QB in Mark Sanchez, a kid who's just entered his 3rd season as a pro, after only 1 year of college starting experience with USC.

Keep doing what you've been doing Rex Ryan; because it's working. We're only 3 games into 2011's schedule, with a 2-1 record, but yet, Jet fans have already started to throw Rex Ryan under the bus? How quickly you've forgotten, where we've came from as a franchise.

I find this whole thing silly. Any team that goes on the road in the playoffs, completely shuts down Manning, Brady and Big Rape...isnt suffering from a lack of preperation. Especially considering how different those game plans were compared to what Rex typically does on defense.

Namath should be on the phone with Sanchez after every game.. but then again, I don't wanna see Mark throw more picks than TDs for his career.

No sh*t. He taught him how to take the snap, but that's it. lol

You know what I want Mark Sanchez to do? Exactly what he's been doing, making plays and engineering drives. The two things that have been nice to watch are some beautiful TD's in the air-- all of Plax's, that great Holmes leap over the middle....-- and of course, watching Revis blanket his receiver. lol I could watch a 2 hour montage of that match-up alone. I love when the guy from Jacksonville got sh*t out and he just about asked for an autograph and my favorite was watching Heyward-Bey get owned last week. They showed like 5 clips cut back to back where he was running all kinds of routes and didn't get more than a foot of separation. By the fourth one he even did the old washing machine shake. hahaha Nothing. poor guy had a long day. But anyway...

It's our putrid running attack that is alarming. We need mangold back--although dude did a decent job I guess. I feel better having a passing game that is working well because that was more of the question mark. I think we will get the ground game going. (what's the name of schottys assistant again?)

and of course, defense. I was disappointed at what they did (or what they didnt do) to address the pass rush issue. (I like the dude, and more important Rex does...and i'm buying in....but for my money, I don't know if I'm sold on Jim Leonhard.but...

• 3 months later...

I'm 29 so I only know Joe Namath in legend. I honestly don't enjoy him. Just stay drunk and hit on women.

I guess hindsight is 20/20......some of us "old-timers" saw this coming......when you talk...you better back it up...otherwise the old-school mentality is then you are labeled a "pussy".

Namath isn't the greatest Jet ever. At least his stats would disagree besides the 1 superbowl, which I admit, weighs heavily, but looking at his career as whole, it's not that impressive barring that one year. A legend for winning the superbowl, yes. Best Jet ever? No.

But why couldn't Namath actually give the Jets advice on why they lost, instead of acting like a pompous a$$hole and essentially saying they suck because they think they are better than they are? That's not even close to the reality of the situation. He sounds like some of the "sky is falling" people on here with comments like that.

I'm not saying that's his agenda, but his agenda clearly isn't helping the team. If it was, he'd be on the phone with Rex or Mark Sanchez giving advice and pointers, instead of venting anger and frustration to the media. Yes all of us were disappointed in the loss, it doesn't mean our team is a complete fraud. We still have some work to do on both the lines, but he's essentially blaming Rex for the loss, simply because he has confidence in the team. That's absurd, considering this guy has played football before and outta know there's way more involved in the game than hype speeches and motivation. When a former team legend continually spews negativity about the team it can be a downer. It's not like some average fan criticizing them. It's Joe ******* Namath, and honestly it makes him look like a prick. It was obvious to anyone our problem was defensive errors last game, along with a weak offensive line. It wasn't because Rex says the team is one of the best in the league in public. Namath took the low road here, and it's obvious. Call it like it is, Joe. Don't look for scapegoats.

Funny how stuff comes back...the only pomptous a$$ is Rex dude. 8-8 proves it....But Rex does have the opportunity to learn from all of this crap and evolve into a good head coach I hope he learned something this year.....Remember Rex hasn't won sh*t.....Namath has won and also guarranteed a SB dude the only one...don't forget it.

I guess hindsight is 20/20......some of us "old-timers" saw this coming......when you talk...you better back it up...otherwise the old-school mentality is then you are labeled a "pussy".

When did I say he was wrong. I said I don't enjoy him and he should stay drunk and hit on women.

When did I say he was wrong. I said I don't enjoy him and he should stay drunk and hit on women.

Never said you said he was wrong..what I am saying is Namath should be given the respect he deserves....your comments disrespect Namath...and if Rex was smart he would have listened and learned from Namath....buy some tapes, CD's or whatever to see Namath play....you might have a different opinion.

Never said you said he was wrong..what I am saying is Namath should be given the respect he deserves....your comments disrespect Namath...and if Rex was smart he would have listened and learned from Namath....buy some tapes, CD's or whatever to see Namath play....you might have a different opinion.

I have seen it. What I see is an overrated QB who threw more picks than TD's who had one magical moment that made him a legend. If I could be medicore most my life for one moment I think I'd do it. Especially when I'd get droves of drooling zombies supporting me.

I have seen it. What I see is an overrated QB who threw more picks than TD's who had one magical moment that made him a legend. If I could be medicore most my life for one moment I think I'd do it. Especially when I'd get droves of drooling zombies supporting me.

Too funny dude.

Too funny dude.

Look my point of view is simply this. Joe Namath is a legend. The only legend this franchise has. With that comes some sort of responsibility, appearences, repping the franchise. Joe has made a reputation for himself of being a drunk womanizing kinda guy which, I personally have no issues with. Now, I ask you to step out of your shoes as a fan and step into the shoes of a businessman. The face of your franchise acts like that, do you continually open up your arms to him? I think Rex and co. did a great job of embracing our past. What it got them was Joe spouting off and making it a little more difficult for Rex. That's my issue and why I believed he should just smile and wave.

I don't neccesarily think he was wrong in his opinion, it was more of his behavior that was an issue for me.

Look my point of view is simply this. Joe Namath is a legend. The only legend this franchise has. With that comes some sort of responsibility, appearences, repping the franchise. Joe has made a reputation for himself of being a drunk womanizing kinda guy which, I personally have no issues with. Now, I ask you to step out of your shoes as a fan and step into the shoes of a businessman. The face of your franchise acts like that, do you continually open up your arms to him? I think Rex and co. did a great job of embracing our past. What it got them was Joe spouting off and making it a little more difficult for Rex. That's my issue and why I believed he should just smile and wave.

I don't neccesarily think he was wrong in his opinion, it was more of his behavior that was an issue for me.

I get what your saying. And All I am saying is Namath is Namath he was always like that, kinda like Rex but backed up his words. Rex had a problem with someone calling him out. He just never thought Namath would take him to task....And as you recall Namath also took Herm and Mangini to task as well. In other words, he is "entitled" to do just that. And when a player like Slausson says crap (who plays for Rex)...its just plain stupid and shows no intelligence and respect whatsoever. In the end and on the business side of things...Rex will be long gone, but the name Namath will always be attached to our Jets as a winner no matter what Tanny or Rex or Johnson believe or don't believe.

Archived