Namath: "Rex Ryan has Jets thinking they're better than they actually are"

Vudu

Joe Namath: Rex Ryan has Jets thinking they’re better than they are

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT

joe-namath1.jpg?w=250

Getty Images

The greatest Jet of them all, Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath, says the current group of Jets players need to stop hearing how great they are, and start hearing that they need to buckle down and get to work.

And Namath said it’s coach Rex Ryan who bears the blame for the Jets being overconfident heading into Sunday’s loss to the Raiders.

“It’s rather alarming,” Namath said on the Michael Kay Show. “It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan, he’s been doing a great job, getting us to two conference championship games, but there’s one thing about the athlete: You keep telling him how good he is, he’s going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team.”

Namath — the man who famously guaranteed victory before Super Bowl III — never lacked for confidence. But he says there’s a difference between a player expressing confidence in himself and then backing it up on the field, and a coach telling his players that they’re the greatest when they haven’t won anything.

“I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are,” Namath said. “Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. And they have been pretty good — pretty good — but they haven’t won a championship yet. I think they’ve got to remember that there’s room for improvement.”

Part of the disconnect between Namath and Ryan is simply a matter of age: Namath played for Bear Bryant in college and Weeb Ewbank in the NFL, and those coaches employed an old-school approach of yelling, screaming and chewing players out, and rarely handing out compliments. (For some of Namath’s years with the Jets, one of the team’s assistants was Rex’s dad, Buddy Ryan, who was never shy about chewing his players out when they weren’t performing up to expectations.)

But Namath also seems to believe that Ryan is doing his players a disservice by not calling them out when they make mistakes — including what Namath called a “bonehead decision” by Mark Sanchez on an interception against the Raiders. In thinking the Jets are overconfident and questioning Ryan’s bravado, Namath may anger some Jets fans. But he’ll find a lot of fans of the other 31 NFL teams agreeing with him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For someone who lost more than he won, Namath sure overreacts to a loss

But he won Superbowl III. That is one more superbowl victory than ANY other Jet QB has.

And, I think his point is well taken. Rex should just shut up, and let his players play. Instead he continually puts a bullseye on this team, and I for one don't think that's wise.

Namath is an old drunk who needs to shut the hell up. Whether Rex has a problem or not I don't care what Namath thinks. The NFL is a lot different from when he played and his opinion really means nothing, he just needs to go hide in a hole and have nothing to do with the franchise.

Actually, I agree with him in premise.

I understand the premise, doesnt mean I agree with it. Especially because its an exaggeration. He calls Mangold and Revis the best in the league. Think I've heard him say it about Moore. Thats all I can think of...which is still more than your average coach. But I'm sure he's not telling them how great they are right now. In fact, I bet he's digging in that defense's a$$ right now.

But besides that and more importantly, there's also something to be said about the psychology of instilling confidence, IMO. If you set the bar high, sell that you really believe and care, I think you get the buy in from "run through a wall" perspective because you dont want to let your coach down.

I understand the premise, doesnt mean I agree with it. Especially because its an exaggeration. He calls Mangold and Revis the best in the league. Think I've heard him say it about Moore. Thats all I can think of...which is still more than your average coach. But I'm sure he's not telling them how great they are right now. In fact, I bet he's digging in that defense's a$$ right now.

But besides that and more importantly, there's also something to be said about the psychology of instilling confidence, IMO. If you set the bar high, sell that you really believe and care, I think you get the buy in from "run through a wall" perspective because you dont want to let your coach down.

I hear you, but still agree with Joe.

This team has had over-confidence problems for a while.... Can't wait.

He's more than right. Its beyond pathetic how flat this team was in last years AFCCG vs the Steelers.

Year 1 vs Colts the excuse was "Its Rex's first year, team has overachieved, they came back to earth against Manning and Co"

What was the excuse vs the Steelers? They blew it, my friends. We can get back, but it might not be for another few years.

I hear you, but still agree with Joe.

This team has had over-confidence problems for a while.... Can't wait.

He's more than right. Its beyond pathetic how flat this team was in last years AFCCG vs the Steelers.

Year 1 vs Colts the excuse was "Its Rex's first year, team has overachieved, they came back to earth against Manning and Co"

What was the excuse vs the Steelers? They blew it, my friends. We can get back, but it might not be for another few years.

Like I said, I can see both sides. It worked all the way up to the AFCCG twice...so its obviously not a terrible concept.

Either way, I agree with your last part...it might be a couple of years to get back. We might be missing a couple of pieces that I didnt foresee being a problem. This league is weird like that but I believe in Rex Ryan.

Wow, they come out of the woodwork after a loss.

only jets fans could say such vile things about the most celebrated jets player in history - and to think some of you call those of us who predict a loss on any given week not real jets fans. shame on you.

I wasn't even alive until over a decade after he retired. I don't care about him at all, the only thing I've ever seen from him is being drunk out of his mind sexually harassing Suzy Kolber on national tv.

I wasn't even alive until over a decade after he retired. I don't care about him at all, the only thing I've ever seen from him is being drunk out of his mind sexually harassing Suzy Kolber on national tv.

don't you realize the best memory for young jets fans is listening to their fathers talk about joe willy? not like we've seen anything great.

But he won Superbowl III. That is one more superbowl victory than ANY other Jet QB has.

And, I think his point is well taken. Rex should just shut up, and let his players play. Instead he continually puts a bullseye on this team, and I for one don't think that's wise.

He may have won a SB over 40 years ago, but the NFL is a different animal today. Do you actually think Namath has the capacity to motivate a team better than Rex? I dont. Rex was a part of a SB winning team himself you know.

Why isnt Namath coaching in the NFL if hes so savvy in the finer arts of motivation?

Rex puts no bigger of a bullseye on his team than Belichick does in my opinion, they only have different approaches getting there.

don't you realize the best memory for young jets fans is listening to their fathers talk about joe willy? not like we've seen anything great.

That's a little egocentric on your part, don't you think?

Many Jet fans didn't have fathers who were Jet fans. A lot of us became Jet fans on their own without inheritance. I have no connection to Joe Namath who won a championship before I was born and neither do tens of thousands of other Jet fans. So there is no reverence there, especially since the main memory of Namath for this generation is the Suzie Kolber fiasco.

After The Mick retired in 1969 Joe Namath became my new hero-I SAW him win that Super Bowl game when I was 13 years old. With that having been said I'm sick of guys like Ray Lucas and Joe Namath coming out and almost seeming jealous of Rex's Jets and Sanchez. I deal with it this way now; I don't go to Joe's trophy room anymore for his "huddle up" sessions and when Lucas starts aggravating me on SNY I FFWD the TV...

Joe is giving the Jets what Rex doesn't, publicly. Criticism.

I'm sure Rex gets on these guys privately, but lets face it... players read press clippings. I think its good that a high-profile guy like Namath that has a relationship with the Jets that transcends each coaching regime's influence, he is a constant, and can weigh in with some constructive commentary here and there that is valuable from a "don't forget you haven't won anything yet" standpoint... and make no mistake, Joe is constructive about his comments. He doesn't bash the Jets, he oftens says "this is what they need to focus on" or "this is where they need to improve". Right or wrong doesn't matter. If everyone, everywhere is lauding this team with praise, they will get sloppy and lose any edge they might have possessed. PERIOD. They haven't won jack sh*t... Joe is right to talk like a guy that loves this team and has unmet expectations.

This defense has NOT looked good since the Patriots playoff game last year... since "Can't Wait." When they were all running around the field celebrating like they won the SB, when all they did was prove that the focus on the Pats eclipses the focus on the Lombardi trophy. The D has had NO heart since that game.

The Jacksonville game doesn't count, it was Luke McCown and Blaine Gabbert for crying out loud, the defense did nothing in that game but what they were supposed to.

Archived