Namath: "Rex Ryan has Jets thinking they're better than they actually are"

Vudu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe is giving the Jets what Rex doesn't, publicly. Criticism.

I'm sure Rex gets on these guys privately, but lets face it... players read press clippings. I think its good that a high-profile guy like Namath that has a relationship with the Jets that transcends each coaching regime's influence, he is a constant, and can weigh in with some constructive commentary here and there that is valuable from a "don't forget you haven't won anything yet" standpoint... and make no mistake, Joe is constructive about his comments. He doesn't bash the Jets, he oftens says "this is what they need to focus on" or "this is where they need to improve". Right or wrong doesn't matter. If everyone, everywhere is lauding this team with praise, they will get sloppy and lose any edge they might have possessed. PERIOD. They haven't won jack sh*t... Joe is right to talk like a guy that loves this team and has unmet expectations.

This defense has NOT looked good since the Patriots playoff game last year... since "Can't Wait." When they were all running around the field celebrating like they won the SB, when all they did was prove that the focus on the Pats eclipses the focus on the Lombardi trophy. The D has had NO heart since that game.

The Jacksonville game doesn't count, it was Luke McCown and Blaine Gabbert for crying out loud, the defense did nothing in that game but what they were supposed to.

+1. Well said.

It's amazing to me that the guys who bash Namath for criticizing the Jets are the same guys who crucify the team in this forum after 1 loss to the Raiders.

Hypocrites.

Rex puts a target on his team's back every week with his attitude and his approach.

I must admit, I liked it at first because it had a good purpose ... helped changed the culture of the franchise.

But this is the drawback to that approach ... more criticism when things don't go right.

It's amazing to me that the guys who bash Namath for criticizing the Jets are the same guys who crucify the team in this forum after 1 loss to the Raiders.

No they aren't. What a ridiculous thing to say. Everybody who's getting on the Jets for losing last weekend agrees with Namath.

That's a little egocentric on your part, don't you think?

Many Jet fans didn't have fathers who were Jet fans. A lot of us became Jet fans on their own without inheritance. I have no connection to Joe Namath who won a championship before I was born and neither do tens of thousands of other Jet fans. So there is no reverence there, especially since the main memory of Namath for this generation is the Suzie Kolber fiasco.

clearly you have no idea what the term "egocentric" means. look up "sarcasm" too while you're at it.

I think Joe makes a good point if you read his direct quotes. I also think that he needs to be a little more aware of what quotes he is putting out there because of who he is and how it will be broadcast. I also think Rex will do what is necessary to make sure the defense brings the aggression in the future.

clearly you have no idea what the term "egocentric" means. look up "sarcasm" too while you're at it.

Actually I do know both terms. The first, because you presume that others are like you. The second, you did a horrible job using it. The key to sarcasm is saying something so off the cuff that the reader will know it's sarcasm. You failed in that regard.

Took the day off, not feeling so hot and this is actually a topic on First Take w/ Mangini, Bayless and Stewart. Mangini was taking Rex's side, Bayless was agreeing with Namath.

Mangini is actually pretty good. Very reasonable and level headed on the topics they are debating.

Took the day off, not feeling so hot and this is actually a topic on First Take w/ Mangini, Bayless and Stewart. Mangini was taking Rex's side, Bayless was agreeing with Namath.

Mangini is actually pretty good. Very reasonable and level headed on the topics they are debating.

Topic closed, right?

Topic closed, right?

Ha! He was calling him the boy who called Wolf, with all these SB predictions, etc. Said the team doesnt prepare as hard, specifically Bart Scott doesnt prepare as hard for an opponent who's thousands of miles away because Rex thinks they are great.

He also thinks Sanchez doesnt fit the mold of the team. That he's too soft and doesnt have the bravado, he doesnt walk into a room and know he's the best player at that position, like the rest of team.

Ha! He was calling him the boy who called Wolf, with all these SB predictions, etc. Said the team doesnt prepare as hard, specifically Bart Scott doesnt prepare as hard for an opponent who's thousands of miles away because Rex thinks they are great.

He also thinks Sanchez doesnt fit the mold of the team. That he's too soft and doesnt have the bravado, he doesnt walk into a room and know he's the best player at that position, like the rest of team.

And if he did have the bravado Bayless would say "WHAT HAS HE DONE TO ACT LIKE THIS." Ah, I love those kinds of guys.

I once heard Sanchez described by an unnamed NFL scout as the alpha male's alpha male. Is this a lie?

And if he did have the bravado Bayless would say "WHAT HAS HE DONE TO ACT LIKE THIS." Ah, I love those kinds of guys.

Cant win. Poor kid. I <3 him so much. Cant wait, till he proves all his haters wrong. <3

I once heard Sanchez described by an unnamed NFL scout as the alpha male's alpha male. Is this a lie?

How would I know?

Actually I do know both terms. The first, because you presume that others are like you. The second, you did a horrible job using it. The key to sarcasm is saying something so off the cuff that the reader will know it's sarcasm. You failed in that regard.

What are you talking about it was a joke about same old jets - lighten up frances

The Jets have been to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons... I'd say Rex Ryan is doing something right.

The confidence that he has installed into our franchise has worked wonders.

If Rex Ryan is "wrong", I wouldn't want him to be right.

We're not a perfect team, but then again, the only perfect team as of right now are the Buffalo Bills. Lets see how long that lasts.

It's no secret that Joe Namath helped our franchise win a super bowl, our only super bowl at that, but can we please stop acting as if this man were Joe Montana or even Troy Aikman? He's been overrated since his prediction and hasn't stopped ripping the Jets ever since.

Since Namath wants to talk about Rex the coach, how about we talk about Joe Namath the quarterback? Namath threw for more INT's than TD's. 173 TD's/220 INT's. But yet, he's the first person to call out a very good coach in Rex Ryan, one who's done nothing but good for our football team. I bet he's the first one to criticize Sanchez for every INT that he throws as well, while forgetting that he's thrown for more INT's than TD's during his overrated career.

Namath only had a career completion % of 50.1. He also lost more games than he won. Career losing record of 62-63-4.

Lets put it this way, he's no Bart Starr, a QB who went 94-57-6, with a 57.4 comletion%, 152 TD's/138 INT's and took his team to 6 playoff apperances, with a playoff record of 9-1. Joe Namath? 12 years with the Jets... 10 non-playoff seasons. 2-1 career playoff record. Congrats for that 1 good season you had.

I never thought I'd say this type of stuff about Joe Namath... But Rex Ryan has LED us to the playoffs during his first two years as head coach. 2 for 2 in terms of trips to the playoffs. Namath was 2 for 12. And it wasn't until his 4th year that he won a SB. But yet, he's talking down upon Rex Ryan after our 3rd game of his 3rd year?

STFU Namath.

The Jets have been to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons... I'd say Rex Ryan is doing something right.

Link?

The confidence that he has installed into our franchise has worked wonders.

If Rex Ryan is "wrong", I wouldn't want him to be right.

We're not a perfect team, but then again, the only perfect team as of right now are the Buffalo Bills. Lets see how long that lasts.

Trust me, I agree with you here... however every once in a while, I do get tired of the sideshow that he has become. I'm curious what sort of impact it would have on the team if he wrung them out in a press conference, instead of flapping his gums about them being the best in the league when they aren't.

Who knows... might motivate them to win more of the games they are supposed to, not just the ones where they are counted out of.

It's no secret that Joe Namath helped our franchise win a super bowl, our only super bowl at that, but can we please stop acting as if this man were Joe Montana or even Troy Aikman? He's been overrated since his prediction and hasn't stopped ripping the Jets ever since.

Since Namath wants to talk about Rex the coach, how about we talk about Joe Namath the quarterback? Namath threw for more INT's than TD's. 173 TD's/220 INT's. But yet, he's the first person to call out a very good coach in Rex Ryan, one who's done nothing but good for our football team. I bet he's the first one to criticize Sanchez for every INT that he throws as well, while forgetting that he's thrown for more INT's than TD's during his overrated career.

Namath only had a career completion % of 50.1. He also lost more games than he won. Career losing record of 62-63-4.

Lets put it this way, he's no Bart Starr, a QB who went 94-57-6, with a 57.4 comletion%, 152 TD's/138 INT's and took his team to 6 playoff apperances, with a playoff record of 9-1. Joe Namath? 12 years with the Jets... 10 non-playoff seasons. 2-1 career playoff record. Congrats for that 1 good season you had.

I never thought I'd say this type of stuff about Joe Namath... But Rex Ryan has LED us to the playoffs during his first two years as head coach. 2 for 2 in terms of trips to the playoffs. Namath was 2 for 12. And it wasn't until his 4th year that he won a SB. But yet, he's talking down upon Rex Ryan after our 3rd game of his 3rd year?

STFU Namath.

This post is terrible.

The argument that Rex has taken the team further than Namath ever did is irrelevant. Namath's comments are that of a high-profile fan. Namath wasn't the head coach, why would the win/loss record count for anything.

Reality is this... thinking about this further... Namath is calling the team out, when Rex can't and won't. It allows Rex to keep being Rex, while also putting the criticism out there that the team needs to hear. It accomplishes the same thing that I was stating earlier that Rex should be doing, without requiring Rex to deviate from being himself. Thus, reducing the risk of Rex appearing disingenuous by changing his tune.

All we can hope for now is for the team to respond.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be bad-mouthing Namath over this though - in my experience, criticism is the life blood of improvement, and this team needs to improve.

sorry i know a lot of you veterans who would lick the the dirt off of Namaths boot are trying to justify his criticism but Broadway is totally in the wrong here. What is Rex supposed to tell the team? That they arent good enough to beat Oakland so go out there are try not to make a fool of yourself?? Get out of here with that crap. You motivate someone by telling them they can do this and they can beat whatever team, thats the point. You raise their confidence so that they perform above and beyond expectations.

This post is terrible.

The argument that Rex has taken the team further than Namath ever did is irrelevant. Namath's comments are that of a high-profile fan. Namath wasn't the head coach, why would the win/loss record count for anything.

Reality is this... thinking about this further... Namath is calling the team out, when Rex can't and won't. It allows Rex to keep being Rex, while also putting the criticism out there that the team needs to hear. It accomplishes the same thing that I was stating earlier that Rex should be doing, without requiring Rex to deviate from being himself. Thus, reducing the risk of Rex appearing disingenuous by changing his tune.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be bad-mouthing Namath over this though - in my experience, criticism is the life blood of improvement, and this team needs to improve.

I actually think it works out. Good cop/bad cop.

This post is terrible.

Right. He's just a fan.....Rex shouldn't have even acknowledged it. The past 3 seasons of Jets football hasnt ever given me the slightest indication that the Jets didn't prepare for a game. Namath wouldnt have any idea of knowing that anyways unless he was in the locker room.

Right. He's just a fan.....Rex shouldn't have even acknowledged it. The past 3 seasons of Jets football hasnt ever given me the slightest indication that the Jets didn't prepare for a game. Namath wouldnt have any idea of knowing that anyways unless he was in the locker room.

Which is exactly how I advocated Rex should have reacted... take the high road.

But isn't it scary that we prepared for the game intensely and then ended up with a stinker. So then it has to be the talent on the field.

The point Namath is making is all the bravado is making players think they are better than who they are. And there might be truth to that.

But isn't it scary that we prepared for the game intensely and then ended up with a stinker. So then it has to be the talent on the field.

The point Namath is making is all the bravado is making players think they are better than who they are. And there might be truth to that.

Namath's problem is that he's talking about something he has no clue about. He has no idea how the Jets prepare. And his comments carry extra weight because of the media who run to the Jets to talk about it.

The truth is that the Jets were outplayed. It had nothing to do with preparation and believing they are better than they are. They took bad angles and tackled poorly on big runs that killed them (DMC & Moore).

Joe Namath is a sad depressing man these days. Only time he ever makes comments about the Jets is when he has something negative to say. I can't wait until we win that superbowl and shut him up. He thinks he's above everyone because he won that one superbowl and nobody else has done it on the Jets yet. Sorry Namath, you are nothing special and your career stats are mediocre at best. Please support your former team instead of looking like a complete ******* a$$hole. The way we played on Sunday had nothing to do with Rex saying positive things about the team. Do you honestly believe Rex didn't completely rip into them after last game? Stop judging Rex by only what he says to the stupid media. Sometimes I wish we never won superbowl 3. If that were the case Namath wouldn't even be worth mentioning anymore. He's seriously not even a top 50 QB. His ego is just too big. He was the one that made a superbowl guarantee back in the day and now that Rex is making similar comments he's taking it personally. **** off, Joe. Go root for the Patriots.

Namath's problem is that he's talking about something he has no clue about. He has no idea how the Jets prepare. And his comments carry extra weight because of the media who run to the Jets to talk about it.

The truth is that the Jets were outplayed. It had nothing to do with preparation and believing they are better than they are. They took bad angles and tackled poorly on big runs that killed them (DMC & Moore).

I was talking of this part of his statements. I cannot disagree with him on these points.

I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are,” Namath said. “Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. And they have been pretty good — pretty good — but they haven’t won a championship yet. I think they’ve got to remember that there’s room for improvement.

I was talking of this part of his statements. I cannot disagree with him on these points.

I think these guys might be believing that they’re better than they are,” Namath said. “Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that I’m familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. And they have been pretty good — pretty good — but they haven’t won a championship yet. I think they’ve got to remember that there’s room for improvement.

Exactly.

Constructive criticism is the life blood of self-improvement.

Constructive criticism is at the core of what I do for a living, I get beat up by clients, peers, everyone because what I do is subjective - a lot like football is. I know that no matter how good a job I do, there is always room for improvement - always another way to go from good to great. When you stop listening to input, like criticism, you stop ascending. This is the point Namath is making, and the point I agree with.

The ONLY time you can say you are the best in the league, is when you hoist that trophy as the best team. Rex needs to understand that this isn't about "his" defense, its about the team. Win it all, hoist the trophy... then go right back to square one. Never rest on your laurels, never rest on your past accomplishments.

^How is what Namath said constructive in the LEAST? He pretty much said the team isn't as good as Rex claims. Is he trying to make our players feel like crap? He didn't talk about how they can improve or even specifics of what went wrong. Like, do you or Namath honestly believe that the Jets think they are the best team ever and have nothing to improve on?? Really!?!? Stupid comments are stupid. There's absolutely no reason to think that Rex isn't trying to make the team improve EVERY WEEK. Just stop it with that nonsense. Namath's an idiot.

Archived