If In Fact True, This is What is Wrong with Stadiums Today

JoeC36

Browns fan kicked out of seat for standing too much

By Chris Chase

browns_fan_kicked_out_of_seat_for_standing_too_much.jpg

To stand or not to stand: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the crowd to suffer the boredom and passivity of sitting down or to stand up against the wishes of outrageous management, and by opposing, get kicked out. To stand, to sit? No more.

With the help of noted Cleveland Browns fan Bill Shakespeare, we present the star-crossed tale of Rob Stipe, a Dawg Pound fan who dresses up for games in a wig, face paint and shoulder pads and was recently kicked out of his seat at Cleveland Browns Stadium for standing up too much during games.

Stipe, a ticket holder of 25 years, was told by security personnel to sit during the first quarter of Sunday's game when he was standing during a third down. Later in the game, he was standing again and was asked to leave his seat due to a new rule that immediately boots second-offenders.

Stipe insists his standing isn't excessive. Adam Wright of The Chronicle-Telegram explains:

According to Stipe, "excessive standing" has become a bit of a no-no at Cleveland Browns Stadium over the last few seasons. Last year, he was also scolded for the offense and three sheriff's deputies were sent to meet him outside the bathroom to tell him to use his seat more.

"We do not stand all the time," the 35-year-old explained, referring to the as many as 12 friends and family who share season tickets. "We stand on first down, we stand at the beginning of this game, we stand at kickoff. We stand. We are standers, but we're also courteous to other people. If somebody says, 'Hey man, will you sit down?' Sure, I will love to sit down for you. No problem."

A Browns official told the newspaper that the standing rule is enforced only if other fans complain and that security personnel aren't scanning the crowd for standers. Stipe, who said he always honors requests to sit, admitted later in the story that he'd prefer everyone to stand.

"I hate the people who sit down at a game," he said. "It's not that I try to stand and [expletive] everyone off. I want everyone to stand so that when we're on national TV we don't look like lumps on a log."

National TV? We're talking about the Browns here, right?

[Check live scoring and set your lineup with Yahoo! Sports' Fantasy Football app]

Look, I sympathize with Stipe. I much prefer standing to sitting while at games; it makes me feel like I'm into the game more. It also looks much better on television. But the decision to stand or sit is a collective one made by the crowd. If the people behind you aren't standing and aren't taking cues from you to stand, you're a jerk if you keep doing it. Stipe tells a sob story, but I'm guessing his one-sided account leaves out some key details about the extent of his standing, the annoyance of the crowd behind him or his reaction to security personnel. If his version is the complete truth, this is a preposterous miscarriage of ticket-holder justice. More likely than not, he wasn't booted for standing as much as he was for refusing to sit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Browns-fan-kicked-out-of-seat-for-standing-too-m?urn=nfl-wp8241

this is the problem with stadiums today. TOO MUCH STANDING? ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME?

Not to be a contrarian, but, when you go to a game, you purchase a ticket for a seat. If you want to stand during the whole game, you should not impact the people behind you. How many kids could see a game if all the adults are standing? Standing during appropriate times is, well - appropriate. Standing through the whole game cause you think it looks better on TV is douche.

I thought the problem with stadiums today were the enhanced patdowns. I dont need some dude touching on me when im saucy, and been that way since 9 in the f'ing morning! Its bad enough that I have to throw the bottle top on my water away. Now Im saucy and cant get hydrated because im spilling water all over myself on the escalator because I have NO F'ING TOP! :blowup:

Not to be a contrarian, but, when you go to a game, you purchase a ticket for a seat. If you want to stand during the whole game, you should not impact the people behind you. How many kids could see a game if all the adults are standing? Standing during appropriate times is, well - appropriate. Standing through the whole game cause you think it looks better on TV is douche.

A football game is no place for a child.

I thought the problem with stadiums today were the enhanced patdowns. I dont need some dude touching on me when im saucy, and been that way since 9 in the f'ing morning! Its bad enough that I have to throw the bottle top on my water away. Now Im saucy and cant get hydrated because im spilling water all over myself on the escalator because I have NO F'ING TOP! :blowup:

There are plenty of places to hide a bottle cap. You just need to get creative and not be grossed out with places you can hide things.,

This kind of thing can go both ways. Some people stand on the big plays and exciting times, 3rd downs, etc, and there's nothing wrong with it. But there's some people that are just stubborn and will stand the whole time, regardless of the people behind him. I was at the Jets Packers game last season and this one guy (Jets fan of course) stood the entire time, and when someone asked him if he could sit down, he started standing on his chair out of spite, blocking the views of like 3-4 people at least, a few of them were elderly. I was one of them because I'm short and couldn't see and this guy was 2 rows ahead of me and like 6'4". Thank goodness someone complained and they told him to knock it off. Some people just feel like they have some sense of entitlement where they have the right to stand and therefor must stand the whole time regardless of other people. It's not fair to people who aren't as tall or people that may be handicapped and can't stand for long periods of time. Nothing wrong with standing, but show some respect to the people behind you. If someone can't see and asks you to sit, then do it. Don't instigate problems with your fellow fans.

I never understood the whole bottle cap thing? Is that just so you can't throw a full bottle at someone? Pretty stupid, if so. I shouldn't have to worry about spilling my drink the whole time because someone else is paranoid as hell. A cap on a bottle of water, and you can plop it anywhere and not have to be bothered with it.

sorry, you can't stand the whole time, agree with the people that say you can stand during big plays the kickoff, yadda yadda, and stadiums aren't for kids anymore although they should be. i can remember going to yankee stadium as a kid and loving every minute of it. i wouldn't take mine now unless i had the money for a box seat and felt safe.

I bring my nine year old to games just like my father brought me to games when i was nine. I refuse to keep him safe and coddled from the assholes and douchebags of the world and make him watch from the confines of our cozy couch. He's a die-hard because he goes to games and feels the electricity of the crowd and the big moments that you can only really feel by being at a football game. When he gets his view blocked, he stands on his seat. When the knuckleheads in front us stand up wayy too much blocking the view of the old man behind us I yell, "siddown, Assholes!" and he yells " Yeah! down in front! " Good times. memories that we'll forever cherish.

I bring my nine year old to games just like my father brought me to games when i was nine. I refuse to keep him safe and coddled from the assholes and douchebags of the world and make him watch from the confines of our cozy couch. He's a die-hard because he goes to games and feels the electricity of the crowd and the big moments that you can only really feel by being at a football game. When he gets his view blocked, he stands on his seat. When the knuckleheads in front us stand up wayy too much blocking the view of the old man behind us I yell, "siddown, Assholes!" and he yells " Yeah! down in front! " Good times. memories that we'll forever cherish.

I had a great time going to games as a kid... Passing beers down to a-holes in those lousy waxed paper cups with some plastic wrap on top... Having drunk asshats spilling their beers all over me while they curse at the likes of Hubie Brooks, Ron Hodges and Randy Jones... Watching those same asshats fight with each other, fall over the seats,,, Great times.. What amazes me is fans acted the same way back in the early 80's as they do now.. and were allowed.

sorry my kid is too valuable to me to take a chance on going to a pro game. we go to college games because they don't allow alcohol. you still have drunk people from the tail gating but it doesn't seem as much.

Well that's where you and I differ I guess. See, I'm raising my kid not to be a pu$$y. But your way is good too, I guess. :winking0001:

Its called a joke.

Sorry - my bad. I get testy on this subject. I just hate that a few assholes ruin a great event because they lose their sense of civility. It's a FREAKING GAME!!!!! No matter the outcome, we all have to go to work on Monday and deal with real life! Whether the Jets win or lose will not impact my reality. I'll be bummed, but there's no reason to be dicks to other people just because they're not cheering for the same team as me ... I mean, unless their Pats fans or Dolphins fans - those people are inbreds.

Sorry - my bad. I get testy on this subject. I just hate that a few assholes ruin a great event because they lose their sense of civility. It's a FREAKING GAME!!!!! No matter the outcome, we all have to go to work on Monday and deal with real life! Whether the Jets win or lose will not impact my reality. I'll be bummed, but there's no reason to be dicks to other people just because they're not cheering for the same team as me ... I mean, unless their Pats fans or Dolphins fans - those people are inbreds.

People have acted like assholes for years at games. And sadly games really arent for kids anymore--- cause we cant afford to take our little snowflakes to see a game.

I dont think fans should be sanitized to keep it clean and pure for kids. Thats not life. But drunken stupidity and fighting is always too much, But fans should be having fun, standing when necessary and cheering for the team and that should never be frowned upon.

if its a big 3rd down on defense, you should stand. It isnt the ballet.

You should be able to stand whenever you want?

I go to Safeco Field about 10 times a summer and all the Ichiro supporting butt pirates always ask me to sit down when Felix has a 2 strike count. I just tell them to STFU.

Archived