Aaron Maybin...

Vudu

He still has the stigma of the NFL bust, but the fact is the Jets got him as a street FA for the vet minimum to be nothing more than a situational pass rusher. I don't see how you couldn't be quite happy with what the Jets have gotten return given the circumstances. Guy is fast as hell and sure has some serious hustle. Your prototypical low risk / high reward situation

He still has the stigma of the NFL bust, but the fact is the Jets got him as a street FA for the vet minimum to be nothing more than a situational pass rusher. I don't see how you couldn't be quite happy with what the Jets have gotten return given the circumstances. Guy is fast as hell and sure has some serious hustle. Your prototypical low risk / high reward situation

It seems every time he makes a play the ball pops out. He's also very fast. I like him!

He is great, but he is strictly a luxury. He can't play the run and I'm not sure if he has any cover ability. I guess that's why he lasted after the Jets cut him. Being able to have Maybin active is one of the reasons that trading Mason was good even if Mason were going to contribute more than Kerley on offense.

2 sacks and 3 forced fumbles in 3 games as a one trick pony. There is definite upside with this kid considering his quickness and motor.

True, and even his one trick is useful sometimes because he gets washed out so fast that he can sneak up on the qb from behind if the guy is holding onto the ball too long. The problem is that he takes a wide speed rush 100% of the time. Unless he can develop a legitimate inside move teams can just run draws at him or easily block him if they have a competent tackle.

Hes a strange player to watch. Its kind of like Jim Leonhard. He is so ridiculously undersized (he like watching a guard in the NBA somehow trying to play one of the most physical positions in the NFL) but there is just no quit in him. Unlike Leonhard I think when he does poorly its not very noticeable but he really does give all that he has. The rep on him from Buffalo was that he didnt even care which makes it even stranger. He is playing for peanuts now and would have made the exact same money sitting on the couch at him but he is relentless. Its a totally different mindset than Gholston when he was here.

I really want him to have a break out game vs. the Bills. You know Rex is going to make him a captain for the game.

If he does that, we should sign him to a reasonable extension. He does things no one else on our D is capable of. One trick donkey or not, I like this guy.

True, and even his one trick is useful sometimes because he gets washed out so fast that he can sneak up on the qb from behind if the guy is holding onto the ball too long. The problem is that he takes a wide speed rush 100% of the time. Unless he can develop a legitimate inside move teams can just run draws at him or easily block him if they have a competent tackle.

There were actually a couple of wrinkles today beyond the simple wide speed should dip. On at least one play he stopped his wide rush clubbed the tackle outside and tried to cut inside. There were also plays where they ran blitzers inside of him and they also delayed him a couple of times letting him pick the open gap to blitz. This was all at the end when they knew the Dolphins had to pass. It seems like he almost always rushes from a down stance. It would seem that if he went from a 2 point they could move him around to take advantage of his speed, but they haven't done much of that yet.

If he does that, we should sign him to a reasonable extension. He does things no one else on our D is capable of. One trick donkey or not, I like this guy.

I don't think they have to extend him. He is young enough that he should be restricted. I forget the new rules.

There were actually a couple of wrinkles today beyond the simple wide speed should dip. On at least one play he stopped his wide rush clubbed the tackle outside and tried to cut inside. There were also plays where they ran blitzers inside of him and they also delayed him a couple of times letting him pick the open gap to blitz. This was all at the end when they knew the Dolphins had to pass. It seems like he almost always rushes from a down stance. It would seem that if he went from a 2 point they could move him around to take advantage of his speed, but they haven't done much of that yet.

I don't think they have to extend him. He is young enough that he should be restricted. I forget the new rules.

The inside move is crucial for him, just to keep the tackle honest. It's a shame he can't play the run or cover even just a little bit, but I suppose that's why he was available for us.

The inside move is crucial for him, just to keep the tackle honest. It's a shame he can't play the run or cover even just a little bit, but I suppose that's why he was available for us.

It is weird, though... You'd think a guy with that kind of speed and hustle would excel as a cover guy.

It is weird, though... You'd think a guy with that kind of speed and hustle would excel as a cover guy.

He might be able to learn. He was straight DE in college. We can't expect him to come out covering. It takes technique to cover. If he has any balance. There will still be a big difference between what the Jets are asking him to do and what the Bills expected.

He was signed as an UFA after being cut by the Bills. He is on the books for this year only ($432,353) so why wouldn't he be an UFA at the end of the year? He is not a guy we drafted coming off his initial contract.

He was signed as an UFA after being cut by the Bills. He is on the books for this year only ($432,353) so why wouldn't he be an UFA at the end of the year? He is not a guy we drafted coming off his initial contract.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the rookie deal has anything to do with it. I believe that the only thing that matters is years of experience. AFAIK the new rule is 3 years is RFA, 4 years UFA. He wasn't technically an UFA, he was a free agent. Like a RFA that isn't tendered. Maybin came out in 2009, so he will have 3 years this offseason.

Hes a strange player to watch. Its kind of like Jim Leonhard. He is so ridiculously undersized (he like watching a guard in the NBA somehow trying to play one of the most physical positions in the NFL) but there is just no quit in him. Unlike Leonhard I think when he does poorly its not very noticeable but he really does give all that he has. The rep on him from Buffalo was that he didnt even care which makes it even stranger. He is playing for peanuts now and would have made the exact same money sitting on the couch at him but he is relentless. Its a totally different mindset than Gholston when he was here.

Very well said and reflect my thoughts exactly. There are certainly some lacking skills, and the physical stature certainly isn't there, but there is no quit in him and when you combine it with the ridiculous speed he has, that can really make a difference. We've already seen multiple times in just a few games this season him overrun a play or get pushed wide and still come back to be the one to make the play. Whatever the reason, clearly he's in a much different place now with the Jets than he was with the Bills, and considering the effort and even production the Jets are getting for the investment, there's really very little not to be happy about.

Did I say Smith was having a great year?

Are you saying no way Smith can make a big play against NYJ? / no sarcasm.

I didn't mean it be a dick response to you. Some fans I think were blowing the loss of Smith way out of proportion here, McKnight has filled those shoes admirably. That said, Smith can make big plays, but Buffalo is really slumping right now and Fitz has cooled down a lot since their hot start in the beginning of the season.

He is great, but he is strictly a luxury. He can't play the run and I'm not sure if he has any cover ability. I guess that's why he lasted after the Jets cut him. Being able to have Maybin active is one of the reasons that trading Mason was good even if Mason were going to contribute more than Kerley on offense.

I get your point, but he's really not a luxury. A luxury would presume that the Jets have someone else with his skillset on the team. They don't. Even with Maybin's limitations, he is the Jets best pass rusher bar none. He is the faster player in their front 7. That's more of an indictment of Rex & Tanny and how they neglected pass rushing and foolishly thought they can simply scheme a pass rush than praise for Maybin, but it's simply true.

Great points, but he is still 6'4" and, hopefully, he can spend a whole offseason with the Jets to pack on some weight. He got sick in the offseason and got down to 228lbs. He should be in the 245lbs range. He'll never be in the Ware/Abe/Merrimen range of 260-265lbs.

And, Maybin will be a RFA. Every player with less than 4 seasons of NFL experience is a RFA regardless if they were cut, not re-signed, etc. It's the length of NFL experience that matters, not what the prior team did.

Great points, but he is still 6'4" and, hopefully, he can spend a whole offseason with the Jets to pack on some weight. He got sick in the offseason and got down to 228lbs. He should be in the 245lbs range. He'll never be in the Ware/Abe/Merrimen range of 260-265lbs.

And, Maybin will be a RFA. Every player with less than 4 seasons of NFL experience is a RFA regardless if they were cut, not re-signed, etc. It's the length of NFL experience that matters, not what the prior team did.

I don't mind if he's not in that Ware group, but at least he's shown more speed and burst that we've lacked on that side opposite Pace for some while. At the same time Thomas was a good all around LB, even though I hate on him a lot, he was good at setting the edge and going back into coverage and I don't think Maybin or Westermann will be able to fill Thomas' shoes in those categories.

Archived