Rex Ryan says he would have earned 'a couple rings' if hired by Chargers in 2007

THE ILK

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/10/rex_ryan_says_he_would_have_ea.html

Rex Ryan interviewed with the Chargers for their head coaching vacancy in 2007, one of several jobs he was turned down for before landing with the Jets. What if he had been hired there?

"Well, I think I would have had a couple of rings," Ryan said with a laugh on a conference call with the San Diego media, via NBC San Diego. "I'm tellin' ya. Those teams were loaded. There's no question about it. But things happen for a reason. Obviously, Norv Turner has done a great job there, and A.J. and everybody. That's a great franchise, and he's probably the best guy for the job at that time."

Ryan called Chargers coach Norv Turner afterward, according to a team spokesman, to make sure Turner didn't take that as a slight. Ryan was simply complimenting the Chargers roster and team that GM A.J. Smith has built.

The 4-1 Chargers play at the 3-3 Jets Sunday.

Ryan, now in his third season with the Jets, has not yet won a Super Bowl here. His comment, of course, could also be spun negatively toward his current team -- but Ryan's personality is to speak confidently, and not negatively about others, so it can be safely assumed that was not his intention either.

Ryan also said his interview with San Diego "opened some doors for me." Then the Ravens defensive coordinator, he had a handful of interviews the next year, before being hired by the Jets in 2009.

Ryan was later asked on the call what he could have done to elevate the Chargers to an elusive championship.

"No idea," Ryan said.

In other news, he likes feet, paticularly his, in his mouth.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Rex,

It's really getting old. Stop it and just shut up until you actually WIN a Super Bowl.

Thanks,

Jets Nation

His father was the same kind of stupid// part of me thnks ole rex needs to be humbled a bit.. to much perceived success too soon

You all are worse than the media itself. Harping all over each and every thing our head coach says to the media. He said nothing wrong, he's just the type of person who speaks his mind. and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

You give Rex Ryan a SD Chargers offense of 2007, with the overall knowledge that he has of the defensive side of the ball... And he WOULD HAVE won a ring or two with those guys as head coach. It's been SD's head coach who's held them back over the years.

He's led us to the AFC Championship Game during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. #1 rated defense in 2009 and top 5 last year. Keep being yourself Rex, who cares if a bunch of complaining fans calls you a moron, idiot, dope or tells you to shut the **** up. Keep being yourself, they have no idea how stressful it is being a head coach. Who the F cares if he makes light of situations and has a good time while doing so? This man is ONE HELL of a football coach. His act will never get old to me, because he believes in this team and has been the best thing our franchise has seen since Bill Parcells.

You all are worse than the media itself. Harping all over each and every thing our head coach says to the media. He said nothing wrong, he's just the type of person who speaks his mind. and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

You give Rex Ryan a SD Chargers offense of 2007, with the overall knowledge that he has of the defensive side of the ball... And he WOULD HAVE won a ring or two with those guys as head coach. It's been SD's head coach who's held them back over the years.

He's led us to the AFC Championship Game during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. #1 rated defense in 2009 and top 5 last year. Keep being yourself Rex, who cares if a bunch of complaining fans calls you a moron, idiot, dope or tells you to shut the **** up. Keep being yourself, they have no idea how stressful it is being a head coach. Who the F cares if he makes light of situations and has a good time while doing so? This man is ONE HELL of a football coach. His act will never get old to me, because he believes in this team and has been the best thing our franchise has seen since Bill Parcells.

You're a ***** too.

Yeah, if you give it to him, he is incapable of making the necessary changes to get there himself. If he did, then Schotty would've been fired after the Pittsburgh mess last year.

Blown out of proportion or not, I'm getting tried of hearing the two words (Shane) Super and Bowl coming out of his face until he wins one FOR US. If he had those SD teams he would surely NOT have the offensive production that Norv Turner has had WITH those same players because he'd still have some idiot like Brian Schottenheimer TOTALLY running the offense for him.

Rex is getting his swagger back.

I knew it would happen and just you wait until the week preceding the Pats game. Woody might even lay down some smack to Kraft.

we did just dominate a great team the other night

:bwahaharoll:

Rex Ryan is God. I love that man. How cant you? He's the most genuine head coach I've ever seen. By far the best thing thats happened to this franchise since I've been alive. Blessed to have this man as our HC.

God bless Rex Ryan. <3 him

He's a real life Yosemite Sam.

lol.. moron

This.

Translation: If I had Rivers instead of this douchenozzle under center I could build a dynasty.

Haha... perfect.

Dear Rex,

It's really getting old. Stop it and just shut up until you actually WIN a Super Bowl.

Thanks,

Jets Nation

I'd prefer it if he shut up, won a SB and stayed shut up. The stand-up comedy and steady stream of bullsh*t that comes from this guys mouth needs to stop... he bought into the "be yourself" advice he got from Parcells, and has overdone it. He has become a buffoonish charicature of himself.

Rex is an idiot.

He disses Norv and his own QB.

Yep.

So he is basically saying, they have more talent then us, the week we are going to play them.

Brilliant!

Reverse bulletin board materials?? Wait... Rex has teh geniuzzzz.

The act is wearing thin Rex.

Sorry, the terms "Rex" and "thin" cannot be used in sentence together...

Rex really needs to shut the **** up. I'm glad what he's done for us the last two years but I'm getting really sick of him someone really needs to tell him he's an idiot.

Namath basically tells him to shut up every week, and yet, the fans clamor for Namath to shut up instead... looks like "crazy old man" >>> "delusional fat coach"?

What a dope.

Indeed.

His father was the same kind of stupid// part of me thnks ole rex needs to be humbled a bit.. to much perceived success too soon

This.

I came into this thread expecting to blast Rex for talking and never following through; but you guys took care of that. I'm suprised, is Rex inching towards the hot seat in some of your minds? Just curious.

Hot seat? No.

I want his coaching here.

However, if he needs to learn his lesson the hard way for the greater long-term benefit of this team/franchise... then I'm fine with that. I'm a big believer in seeing how people handle adversity and a slice of humble pie... I want to see if this makes him stronger. Right now he is a 1-dimensional coach, and a side-show act... but he's got the opportunity to be one of the best in the business, he just needs to see the forest through the trees.

I came into this thread expecting to blast Rex for talking and never following through; but you guys took care of that. I'm suprised, is Rex inching towards the hot seat in some of your minds? Just curious.

Not on the hot seat, but saying things like this are stupid and in poor taste.

Archived