Darrelle Revis

hawksown14

Allow me to ask again: does anyone think Tannenbaum should tear up Revis' deal after this season and sign him to a new contract before his inevitable holdout?

I think we should show him a list of the defensive players and ask him where he thinks we would be OK with less talent to free up more money for him.

just a fan of football past and present, you have to be amazed at his career so far. In an era of inflated passing numbers, rules to promote the pass, and monster sized recievers, the fact the Revis covers as well as he does is unbelievable.

So happy he is a Jet.

Great job Tanny and Jets scouts

just a fan of football past and present, you have to be amazed at his career so far. In an era of inflated passing numbers, rules to promote the pass, and monster sized recievers, the fact the Revis covers as well as he does is unbelievable.

So happy he is a Jet.

Great job Tanny and Jets scouts

This.

Comparing corners across eras is just as impossible as comparing receivers and QBs across eras. The game has changed so much.

But, when you take into consideration the rules governing the passing game and how much harder they've made it to play the position of CB in the NFL, what Revis is doing is nothing short of amazing. Deion never had to deal with the five-yard rule, he could "accidently" bump a guy down field without risking a flag. Mel Blount could play bump and run all the way down the field. Dick Lane could literally mug the receiver before the ball got there.

Revis isn't allowed to do any of that yet he is every bit the shut down corner they were. It really is remarkable.

People need to remember the era that Revis is playing in and the era that Sanders played in. Back when Sanders dominated, people were actually allowed to play defense. Revis plays in an era where it's a penalty to even look at a receiver. Sure you can argue Revis gets away with being a little more physical than some other corners, but the fact that Revis is doing this in the era of no contact football puts him over the top for me.

If he keeps this up, with these rules in place to work against him, then he goes down as the greatest ever hands down.

This. Plus...

The top talent that 21 faced was

Rice - GOAT

Irving

C. Carter

Tim Brown (probably a couple of match ups)

Sterling

Reed

Herman Moore

I'm sure there are other greats from that era but it's not coming to me.

Top talent that 24 faces in the new era

TO

B. Marshall

Reggie Wayne

Megatron

Larry Fitzgerald

Andre Johnson

V Jax

Miles Austin/Dez B

And 24 locked them all down and these new guys are mosters. Plus he hits like a LB.

This.

Comparing corners across eras is just as impossible as comparing receivers and QBs across eras. The game has changed so much.

But, when you take into consideration the rules governing the passing game and how much harder they've made it to play the position of CB in the NFL, what Revis is doing is nothing short of amazing. Deion never had to deal with the five-yard rule, he could "accidently" bump a guy down field without risking a flag. Mel Blount could play bump and run all the way down the field. Dick Lane could literally mug the receiver before the ball got there.

Revis isn't allowed to do any of that yet he is every bit the shut down corner they were. It really is remarkable.

?????

You just compared. Though I agree with your comparison.

Another draft pick of the Mangini era. I honestly think Mangini should be our head of scouting. He knows a good player when he sees one. Harris and Revis in 2007 were huge. 2008: D'Brick, Mangold, E. Smith, B. Smith, Leon Washington and Drew Coleman (in the sixth round)...That's two amazing draft years right there. 2008 brought us Keller, Lowery and Fa's Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody and Alan Faneca. Mangini got the shaft from Brett Favre. Still, I wouldn't trade Rex for the Mangini. but from purely a personnel standpoint...Mason Plax Leonard and Scott hardly hold up considering their contracts.

Another draft pick of the Mangini era. I honestly think Mangini should be our head of scouting. He knows a good player when he sees one. Harris and Revis in 2007 were huge. 2008: D'Brick, Mangold, E. Smith, B. Smith, Leon Washington and Drew Coleman (in the sixth round)...That's two amazing draft years right there. 2008 brought us Keller, Lowery and Fa's Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson, Damien Woody and Alan Faneca. Mangini got the shaft from Brett Favre. Still, I wouldn't trade Rex for the Mangini. but from purely a personnel standpoint...Mason Plax Leonard and Scott hardly hold up considering their contracts.

Great point. Also note that Belichick doesn't seem to come up with any DBs since Mangini left there, too.

Very good point but it seems like Mangini is the kind of guy that either wants it all or nothing when it comes to being involved with the NFL. A few weeks ago he apparently turned down a job with the Eagles doing behind the scenes stuff. Personally I thought that he made a bad decision, if not the one that buried him out of the get go by not drafting Sanchez at 5. Think about it, he drafts Sanchez at 5 it would've bought him at least 2-3 years and would've seen more success with Sanchez + Edwards in his first year, perhaps us not getting him mid year. The '09 draft was eh, with the exception of Brown and Massaquoi, the rest are JAGs or non-factors. In '10 their team became incredibly better with adding Haden, Ward and acquiring Hillis. Again, hindsight makes it easier but could you have imagined the Browns with potentially Sanchez, Hillis and Edwards. Mangini's fatal flaw stemmed from wanting "his guys" the high character choir boys that we all hated him on for so long.

1 - Alex Brown

2 - Brian Robskie

2 - Mohammad Massaqoui

2 - David Velkune

4 - Kaluka Malava

5 - Kenny McKinley

6 - Don Carey

**Added Peyton Hillis for Brady Quinn

1 - Joe Haden

2 - T.J. Ward

3 - Colt McCoy

3 - Shawn Luavo

5 - Larry Asante

6 - Clifton Gathers

We are witnessing greatness...a 1st ballot HOFer and probably the best Jet of all time when all is said and done.

It's nice going along for the ride. We're watching a "future NFL great" in live action, rather than having to watch a documentary...despite what FranExcesa thinks!!!

I would like to see a side by side comparison of sanders stats vers revis stats for their first 5 seasons plus. i think that would prove something.

Sanders: 238 tackles, 1 sack, 25 INT's, 520 INT return yards, 3 INT return TD's. These are his numbers after his first 5 years.

Revis: 251 tackles, 1 sack, 18 INT's, 363 INT return years, 3 INT returns TD's. Keep in mind, Revis has yet to complete his 5th year.

Sanders may have the better stats, but I in regards to which CB was the better LOCK DOWN, SHUT DOWN type of CB... Both are great, but Revis gets my vote.

Not because he's a Jet, but because WR's of today are much better than WR's of Sanders era. Jerry Rice was the greatest, but players such as Calvin Johnson are just another physical breed. No matter how great Sanders was, he never did what Revis has already done. Revis is the only CB, in the history of the game... That has gone 1 on 1 on the outside, against #1 WR's, with NO safety help and we never roll our coverage to the side of Revis. Rex Ryan said it best... Sanders would man up, most of the time, on opposing #2 WR's. From there, the defense would roll the coverage over to the opposite side of Sanders to focus on opposing teams #1 WR weapons. Not even Sanders did what Revis has done thus far through his career. Which is shutting down #1 WR's, each and every game, with no help.

Who cares who Deion "faced" in his career? Did he shut these elite WR's down despite rules favorable to the CB? No. Facing them and doing to them what Revis does isn't the same thing.

Michael Irvin was nothing until 1991. Here are the 4x they faced when Irvin was great:

10 rec - 169 yds - 1 TD

6 rec - 89 yds

1 rec - 5 yds (shut down and Deion actually finished with better #'s as a WR than Irvin)

8 rec - 94 yds

So their teams faced each other 4x and Irvin averaged 6 catches and 90 yards. So the norm was not for Irvin to get shut down any more than he was against any other NFL defense. In fact, it is eerily similar to anyone else (slightly more yards, slightly fewer TD's, on average).

And Jerry Rice? Here's Jerry Rice vs Deion's teams:

3-81-2

3-32-0

8-171-1

13-225-5

7-138-1

6-44-0

7-183-2

4-45-1

3-33-0

6-105-0

5-161-1

5-49-0

2-36-1 (playoffs)

Average game for Rice in these matchups? 5.5 rec - 100 yards - 1.1 TD's. So they may have faced, but he had some crazy crazy great games. No one does this against Revis despite the pussy WR rules. Imagine how people would be throwing that against Revis if those were the numbers of a rival WR even with the rule differences.

Tim Brown vs Deion:

8-130-2

5-42-0

12-161-1

4-35-0

Average game = 7 rec - 92yds - .75 TD

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Sterling Sharpe

4-78-0

7-98-2

9-107-1

Average game = 7 rec - 94 yds - 1 TD

Andre Reed

5-100-0

4-70-1

6-75-0 (Superbowl)

8-152-0 (Superbowl)

5-36-0 (past Reed's prime; a starter but no longer a star WR)

Average game while Reed was considered an elite WR = 6 rec - 99 yds

Yeah, with Revis we're all totally used to the other team's star receiver catching 6-7 passes for 90-100 yards and a TD. That's been Darrelle's whole career, lol.

And this also glosses over that Deion played a full 16-game season exactly twice in his career. He was a pussy and even under rules that were easier for CB's, star WR's usually did just as well against Deion's teams as they did against everyone else.

In fact, now that I think of it...Deion Sanders was the worst CB I've ever seen. Donald Dykes was better.

I try to stay away from the term "best ever", but I have no problem with heaping praise on a player as being the best in the game. There's no arguing that Revis is the best corner on the planet (to quote John Gruden). While some get more int's, no one is as complete as Revis. Living near Philly I get to whach Asante (I'm not tackling nobody) Samual, and Asomugha (yes, I spelled it right) play every week, and let me tell you, there is no comparison. Revis is truly in a league of his own.

Archived