Should the Jets approach Cowher?

AFJF

I know Eric Mangini is your Platonic ideal of a head coach, but Sanchez is the reason Rex hasn't been more successful.

Long run, no. But if Sanchez drops early next season, the Jets are going 6-10 because there are no alternatives on the roster.

And Bill Parcells is my platonic ideal of a head coach. Mangini was just a fling.

Long run, no. But if Sanchez drops early next season, the Jets are going 6-10 because there are no alternatives on the roster.

So your assumption is that our QBs next year will be Sanchez-Brunell-McElroy-O'Connell?

With a little luck, Sanchez won't even be the starter early next season.

So your assumption is that our QBs next year will be Sanchez-Brunell-McElroy-O'Connell?

I'm assuming they won't bring in a QB that poses a real threat to Sanchez for fear of having Mark crawl up into a ball and die. Sanchez is Tannenbaum's baby. I can't imagine he'd have the guts to admit Sanchez is not the answer just yet.

I'm assuming they won't bring in a QB that poses a real threat to Sanchez for fear of having Mark crawl up into a ball and die. Sanchez is Tannenbaum's baby. I can't imagine he'd have the guts to admit Sanchez is not the answer just yet.

I can't imagine he'd have the guts not to lay the groundwork for a soft landing, at the very least. All that crap about the Ron Wolf QB-every-April philosophy didn't sound like bullsh*t to me.

Third year coach, back to back AFC Championship seasons. Worst case 8-8 and no play offs. Best we sneak in on the last day and you want I'm fired. You make me embarrassed to be a Jets fan. Most of you don't go on. I live 3000 miles away, and still got to the Chargers game this year. Slap dick armchair fans!

I can't imagine he'd have the guts not to lay the groundwork for a soft landing, at the very least. All that crap about the Ron Wolf QB-every-April philosophy didn't sound like bullsh*t to me.

We shall see, my friend. Especially with Sanchez's contract coming up, it'll be interesting to see just how committed they are to him.

We shall see, my friend. Especially with Sanchez's contract coming up, it'll be interesting to see just how committed they are to him.

All the more reason. I think sticking by Sanchez too long places Tannenbaum's job in considerably more jeopardy than dumping him too soon.

Third year coach, back to back AFC Championship seasons. Worst case 8-8 and no play offs. Best we sneak in on the last day and you want I'm fired. You make me embarrassed to be a Jets fan. Most of you don't go on. I live 3000 miles away, and still got to the Chargers game this year. Slap dick armchair fans!

Burnley no need to call out other fans who may have a different opinion.

I have gone for 800 years straight, paid the Jets season ticket bill before the mortgage at times and you know what? It doesn't matter -- everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I happen to agree with you though, there is no way Rex Ryan is an any jeopardy, he has accomplished too much here in a short time frame. So he is obviously safe but if you are a coach and you spent any time at all in an offensive meeting this week, yeah you might want to give your real estate agent a heads up. You will probably be relocating next month.

Sorry P.S we are all a little upset, but the Sky won't fall in for me. Ive been a Jets fan since 1982 and if we never Win the Superbowl again I will always be a Jets fan. End of Rant have a Great Christmas or Hanukkah to everyone.

I hear you! Just have to realize that it is tough, especially for people who just got home from the game. Running into Giants fans when you stop for gas on the way home, yeah that's not a lot of fun!

Merry Christmas!

Umm no, but I would agree with the others who said that Rex either has to let Schotty have all the say or he has to have a guy that calls the offense Rex wants. That disaster of a gameplan today was a coach and OC having zero in common with philosophy and trying to reach a middle ground with a ultra conservative Chad offense. It cant work with a 50% QB.

I think Rex will force them to bring someone in. Not sure who though. Not alot available. Matt Moore? Chad Henne? The other Chad nobody wants to see.

why do u assume it is his decision? this is the decision of a GM as strong as Tannenbaum is in the FO. Rex never had the power to dictate OC over Schottenheimer, who has been with the jets longer than REX.

Because the hc should pick his OC. You are right but I think that was because Ryan was an assistant not established. Now he's established. Let him pick a coordinator

Because the hc should pick his OC. You are right but I think that was because Ryan was an assistant not established. Now he's established. Let him pick a coordinator

agree. i actually think that Schottenheimer was dictated to REX as part of te agreement to coach the Jets. It's cronyism. The Jets Brass wanted to cultivate ties with the Duchy of Schottenheimer - both King Marty and Prince Brian - since they gave him his shot thru Mangini - who was canned. Interestingly enough when mangini was canned, Schotty was not let go...

whatever...we just dont agree. he has bad personnel around him. terrible WRs, a robot with Trex arms for a TE, bad OL, bad offensive design, and terrible playcalling.

Yep, without these scrubs he'd brees.. Accuracy schmaccuracy

Yep, without these scrubs he'd brees.. Accuracy schmaccuracy

do you or do u not remember holmes 1st quarter last week? what about keller's first quarter this week?

he is getting almost no help from his OL, and little from his WRs/TEs. Im sorry. That is the truth.

Oh and how about the fumble at the 1? Was it Sanchez's fault that HOF Center Mangold snapped the ball into his own thigh?

Jason, I don't see how this game is a difference of offensive philosophy between Rex and Schitty. Rex, as a defensive coach wanted Sanchez throwing 60 times? Rex simply looks clueless when it comes to O.

Rex in postgame said the reason they threw a lot was because they were down a couple of scores. But Sanchez threw 28 times in 1st half only down 3. Jets get ball back with 5 minutes and down only 6 at midfield and Schitty has Sanchez in shotgun for 3 throws. No run, no playaction. That's Schitty having no game sense and Rex being half a HC.

That's the problem. Rex has to decide to be the HC for entire team and then get an OC who has game sense.

Yes, Sanchez sucks, but that doesn't exonerate Schitty for his own fire worthy culpability

Jason, I don't see how this game is a difference of offensive philosophy between Rex and Schitty. Rex, as a defensive coach wanted Sanchez throwing 60 times? Rex simply looks clueless when it comes to O.

Rex in postgame said the reason they threw a lot was because they were down a couple of scores. But Sanchez threw 28 times in 1st half only down 3. Jets get ball back with 5 minutes and down only 6 at midfield and Schitty has Sanchez in shotgun for 3 throws. No run, no playaction. That's Schitty having no game sense and Rex being half a HC.

The way I saw it was that Schotty wants to throw the ball and Rex deferred to him on the point provided that they have a very safe approach to the game which is the cluster that we saw on the field today. For as much as I get on Schotty about the general flow of the offense this is not how he has ever called games even dating back to Chad. While they were never a downfield passing team they were not a 5 yard dumpoff team. The last few weeks its been a disaster. To me thats all a way to defer to Rex. And I agree with you on the insane playcalling. I believe it was 30/17 until the Giants went up on the Bradshaw TD and that doesnt even count the final drive of the first half. The situational playcalling is horrendous. People can blame Sanchez all they want about not making the throws but the Jets are not even putting themselves into a position to succeed. 4th and 2 shotgun? That play where the Giants had 12 on the field. I have no clue what that even was supposed to be.

When I heard Rex say that they arent built to play the way they did today it made me realize just how much of a disconnect there is between those two. You cant be head coach and saying that when you were in a position to stop it, at he very least at halftime. Its almost as if he was saying that he wanted to run and do his Wildcat but he decided to let the OC call his game and live or die with it. Who knows, maybe after the defensive collapse last week he gave Schotty more rope to hang himself with this week.

The way I saw it was that Schotty wants to throw the ball and Rex deferred to him on the point provided that they have a very safe approach to the game which is the cluster that we saw on the field today. For as much as I get on Schotty about the general flow of the offense this is not how he has ever called games even dating back to Chad. While they were never a downfield passing team they were not a 5 yard dumpoff team. The last few weeks its been a disaster. To me thats all a way to defer to Rex. And I agree with you on the insane playcalling. I believe it was 30/17 until the Giants went up on the Bradshaw TD and that doesnt even count the final drive of the first half. The situational playcalling is horrendous. People can blame Sanchez all they want about not making the throws but the Jets are not even putting themselves into a position to succeed. 4th and 2 shotgun? That play where the Giants had 12 on the field. I have no clue what that even was supposed to be.

When I heard Rex say that they arent built to play the way they did today it made me realize just how much of a disconnect there is between those two. You cant be head coach and saying that when you were in a position to stop it, at he very least at halftime. Its almost as if he was saying that he wanted to run and do his Wildcat but he decided to let the OC call his game and live or die with it. Who knows, maybe after the defensive collapse last week he gave Schotty more rope to hang himself with this week.

Good points. And the bolded is further to what I was referring to. Rex acts like half of a HC. It wasn't just at the end with the pass-run disparity. Sanchez threw it 28 times in the first half and they were only down by 3. Then they open the 2nd half with 3 passing plays.

There is a different way he calls games in the pass with the short stuff, but I believe that's an offshoot of the green, yellow, red system and the awful Oline. Sanchez has been sacked 37 times this year, most by any single QB since Neil O'Donnell was sacked 45 times in 1997. But, then again, because of the poor Oline play, calling all these shotgun plays against a good pass rushing team doesn't make much sense because they can ignore the run.

Archived