At minimum, the Jets need to replace eight starters this off-season.

T0mShane

We've been bickering about the effectiveness of Mike Tannenbaum recently, so let's look at the roster he's put together as objectively as we can. I don't think it's disputable that the Jets need to fill these holes for next season:

FS: You CANNOT go into the season with Eric Smith as your starter again. It's suicide, especially with the Pats fielding Gronkowski and Hernandez. There is nobody currently on the roster to replace Smith, either.

SS: Does anyone want to bring Leonhard back? He was a marginal athlete to begin with, now he's lost back to back seasons to leg injuries and wasn't effective when he was healthy. Or do you re-sign Brodney Pool and hand him the job?

ROLB: Bryan Thomas, anyone? He's big, he sets the edge nicely, and he's an effective run-stuffer, but with Calvin Pace being a non-factor in the pass rush, it's time to upgrade at OLB. I don't think you can use Aaron Maybin more than situationally (and judging by the amount of snaps he got down the stretch, Rex agrees). Do you re-sign BLT and let him platoon with Maybin, or do you go and try to find a real OLB in the draft?

LILB: From the sounds of it, they're done with Bart Scott, whose greatest contribution to the Jets after signing his mammoth contract was issuing a few witty quotes and, now, affording the team some cap savings by being ousted. His replacement is not on the roster.

RT: Wayne Hunter, Vlad Ducasse. In sum, the team needs to try again. Is the third time the charm for Tannenbaum?

WR1: I think we all can agree that Holmes (assuming he's on the roster at all) is best suited as a #2 receiver and Plaxico Burress needs to go away, leaving a huge hole to fill at #1 WR. Let's not delude ourselves into believing that ANY free agent WR is coming here to play with Sanchez, so Tannenbaum has to find one in the draft that's ready to play immediately. No small order.

QB2: Regardless of your hope that Sanchez turns it around, the Jets have to bring in a QB with a pulse to, at the very least, give Rex another option in the event that Sanchez's crippling sore neck re-emerges next year, rendering him incapable of leading the charge.

TE1: Let's face it--Dustin Keller just isn't a TE. He's a beefed-up slot WR/H-Back. Every time he lines up in a three-point stance, the offense (as well as Keller) is wasting a play. He doesn't block, he doesn't deal well with physical play at the line of scrimmage, and asking him to do anything but catch intermediate passes is an absolute waste of time. Tannenbaum needs to go out and find a legitimate two-way TE immediately. Jerry Reese picked one off the scrap heap in Jake Ballard, who has helped bail out Eli Manning repeatedly. Not giving Mark a reliable underneath receiver was ludicrous from the start, but now it's time to do it or die.

Optional-ish places where upgrades are needed:

These are positions that, IMO, need upgrades if the opportunity arises to upgrade them.

QB1: The reality is that Sanchez will get at least six games next year to show that he's the guy. There's been too much time and money wrapped up in his development to just pull the plug right now. That said, Rex is about to go through an entire off-season where he and his program are considered absolute punchlines and, going into Year Four, he's not going to have the patience to let one player continue to make him look like a jackass. IMO, if draft day comes around and Tannenbaum's phone rings with another GM on the line offering a trade-up with RGIII on the board, I don't know if the headline-hungry accountant will be able to resist.

LG: I know Matt Slauson is the least of the Jets problems right now, and I know that he likely graded out decently this season, but it was pretty apparent that the Jets running game has diminished since he grabbed the starting job. He's a marginal NFL starter who is best suited to a back-up role. More importantly, Brick needs a better guard next to him to cover up for his relatively soft play in the run game. It's no coincidence that Brick's best seasons came when he was lined up next to Alan Faneca.

P: If you're going to keep Sanchez and Schottenheimer, you're going to need a great--not a good--punter to help offset the offensive suck.

RB1: Shonn Greene has shown flashes, but is constantly nicked up and disappears for looooong stretches of time. How much of that is the result of defenses simply not respecting Sanchez? I'd say that has a lot to do with it. However, Greene is still a 150 carry back who needs to be partnered with a consistent (better?) back to share in the beating. Do you gamble on Bilal Powell being your 250 carry workhorse? Or is Joe McKnight ever going to earn consistent reps?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bart Scott, whose greatest contribution to the Jets after signing his mammoth contract was issuing a few witty quotes and, now, affording the team some cap savings by being ousted.

Unless we go into the Falcon archives, there have been few things posted on this board more wrong than this.

Unless we go into the Falcon archives, there have been few things posted on this board more wrong than this.

Harsh, I know, and I love Scott. But, I'm looking at it through the lens of having to cut him three years later with no title and a lot of bluster. The dude got paid a lot of money for doing the same dirty work that he did for the Ravens as a UDFA. My comment was more a slap at Tannenbaum than Scott himself.

You're high to think Santonio Holmes and his $50 milllll isn't the #1

Yes, they'll need another WR, and a #2 burner will do fine. (Free agent)

TE Jets have Keller, Cumby, Baker and Mulligan. Might be set there, although mulligan will get pressure from another blocking TE (off the scrap heap blocking TE)

SS/FS Either Leonard or Smith will be back to start. Will need to fill the other spot (Draft, F/A)

ROLB I think you probably gave the exact solution to the position...BT at OLB, with Maybin there for passing downs (Draft)

LILB Scott probably is here for one more season. Mauga and Bellore are not the long term answer. Draft pick here is essential (Keuchly)

RT Not sure any of us know whether or not Vlad is or isn't the answer. Probably isn't, so a free agent RT is probably the answer. I'm sure a draft pick too

QB 2 Not sure why, but I keep thinking Jason Campbell will be a Jet next year. Just a hunch

LG Slauson is a stud. He covers up the inconsistencies of Brick

RB I'm sure they'll draft another. Sort of get the feeling that status quo is in order here

K/P Jets won't spend $$$$ for these positions. Expect the same here as well.

Are you aware that JetNation.com has a FREE search feature?

No. I was not aware of that. I thought it was only available to VIP members. I will check it out, thanks.

Can anyone tell me when my t-shirt will arrive? And how do I order a new can koozie?

Some of the 2012 Roster

Wilkerson, Pouha, Devito

Upshaw, Scott, Harris, Pace

Revis, Cro, Barron, Landry

Notable backsups E Smith, Bryan Thomas, Mauga, Bellore, Wilson

Brick,Saulson, Mangold, Moore (insert FA)

Sanchez, Greene, Mcknight, Powell

Holmes, Mcnutt/Streeter? Kerley

Backups Hunter, Turner, ?

Just a bit of wishful thinking, potential options for us at each position:

FS: Michael Griffin (FA), Robert Lester (Draft), Markelle Martin (Draft)

SS: Laron Landry (FA), Mark Barron (Draft)*, Antonio Allen (Draft)

ROLB: Mario Williams (FA), Courtney Upshaw (Draft)*, Vontaze Burfict (Draft) & yes he can play OLB

LILB: Dont'a Hightower (Draft)*, Vontaze Burfict (Draft)

RT: Kareem McKenzie (FA), Riley Reiff (Draft), Jonathan Martin (Draft)

WR1 or 2: Vincent Jackson (FA), Mohamed Sanu (Draft), Alshon Jeffery (Draft), Marvin McNutt (Draft), Tommy Streeter (Draft), Nick Toon (Draft)

QB2: Matt Flynn (FA), Greg McElroy, Nick Foles (Draft)

TE1: Jake Ballard (FA), Joel Dreessen (FA)

RB2: Lamar Miller (Draft), Jeff Demps (Draft)*

Some of the 2012 Roster

Wilkerson, Pouha, Devito

Upshaw, Scott, Harris, Pace

Revis, Cro, Barron, Landry

Notable backsups E Smith, Bryan Thomas, Mauga, Bellore, Wilson

Brick,Saulson, Mangold, Moore (insert FA)

Sanchez, Greene, Mcknight, Powell

Holmes, Mcnutt/Streeter? Kerley

Backups Hunter, Turner, ?

How do you plan on getting Upshaw AND Barron in the same draft with one #1 pick?

These threads are hysterical. Either some people think this is a forum for Madden football or maybe they do not realize we did not got 1-15, but if you really think we are going or even need to overhaul the ENTIRE roster you need to come back to reality.

Tom Shane is a buffoon. Just go with it, and laugh alot

These threads are hysterical. Either some people think this is a forum for Madden football or maybe they do not realize we did not got 1-15, but if you really think we are going or even need to overhaul the ENTIRE roster you need to come back to reality.

Eight players is an entire roster.

#1. we need a road grader guard (Carl Nicks, New Orleans) and a tackle (Demetrius Bell, Buffalo). Nicks takes over for Slauson (or Moore if his health issues arise) and Bell Takes over for D'Brick who moves to the right side (yeah, I think Bell is better, especially at run-blocking).

Safety--draft.

#2 TE--cumberland returns (unless Olsen's value is down) and Baker develops. Keller is Keller, not a bad receiver.

#3OLB--draft (too expensive to take a difference maker in the FA market). Try to strike it rich in draft, teach Maybin to play the position completely

#4QB2--McElroy. Smart and capable with balls. He will push Sanchez.

#5WR--Draft a speedy project and pick up a solid, aging vet like Reggie Wayne on a 2 year deal.

#6RB--stick with our backfield. It was the line that sucked, not the backs.

Overall not a major retooling. Just the Oline gets scrapped and reshuffled. A good draft is absolutely key, though. Can't afford to screw it up with Vlads and Connors and Wilsons. Need some bang for the buck.

Tom:

The G position is interesting. Moore is a team leader, but coming off an injury. And if this season was an indication, his play is on the decline. Also 32 years old by next season. Slauson was well-described. Solid player but pairing him next to Dbrick (who likely is not going anywhere) creates a left side of the Oline that lacks a run blocking force.

Decastro from Stanford at 16, if he is there.....may not help the team in 2012 as much as it would down the line.

Derp da derp da derpity derp.

D'Brick isn't that good. And he sux at run blocking. Bell starts at RT or LT and he's an under the radar guy (read: less expensive than D'Brick). So it wouldn't be a cap killer. Maybe swapping Brick to RT is just me being way dissapointed in his play. Considering he gave up more sacks than Wayne Hunter, (9-1/2), the idea of getting him out of the blind side spot is far less Derpitty than you think.

Rutgers says there is zero truth to it. How many truth do you think it is? I say 11. There is eleven truth to it.

FO loves Bart. The fans love Bart. Bart got paid more than DeMarcus Ware over the last three years. The Jets are cutting Bart this off-season. I'd love to drive a Corvette. I'd hate to drive a Corvette that I paid 50% over retail for.

FO loves Bart. The fans love Bart. Bart got paid more than DeMarcus Ware over the last three years. The Jets are cutting Bart this off-season. I'd love to drive a Corvette. I'd hate to drive a Corvette that I paid 50% over retail for.

He's done IMO. Every 3 or 4 games makes a nice tackle in the backfield then is MIA for the entire game.... has to be removed on passing downs. His time has come.

Received a lot of fan love for "can't wait" and then his defense gets run over in Pittsburgh the next week.

He's done IMO. Every 3 or 4 games makes a nice tackle in the backfield then is MIA for the entire game.... has to be removed on passing downs. His time has come.

Received a lot of fan love for "can't wait" and then his defense gets run over in Pittsburgh the next week.

Well, he's done as a $6 million dollar LB, but I think some team is going to get a good value signing him for $2-$3 mil per to come in and lead a defense. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Bengals next year.

I disagree with getting rid of Burress. The receivers aren't really a problem, and we can easily go into next season with Holmes as our # 1, Burress as our # 2, Keller essentially as our # 3, and Kerley in the slot. The problem lies in scheme and the QB (primarily the QB), not with the receiving corps.

I do agree that we need a TE who can do a little of everything. That shouldn't be a hard fix to make but it MUST be done.

Archived