At minimum, the Jets need to replace eight starters this off-season.

T0mShane

Tom:

The G position is interesting. Moore is a team leader, but coming off an injury. And if this season was an indication, his play is on the decline. Also 32 years old by next season. Slauson was well-described. Solid player but pairing him next to Dbrick (who likely is not going anywhere) creates a left side of the Oline that lacks a run blocking force.

Decastro from Stanford at 16, if he is there.....may not help the team in 2012 as much as it would down the line.

What's up, E? Drafting a guard in the first would hurt badly, IMO. Way too many needs otherwise.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with getting rid of Burress. The receivers aren't really a problem, and we can easily go into next season with Holmes as our # 1, Burress as our # 2, Keller essentially as our # 3, and Kerley in the slot. The problem lies in scheme and the QB (primarily the QB), not with the receiving corps.

I do agree that we need a TE who can do a little of everything. That shouldn't be a hard fix to make but it MUST be done.

Burress just isn't good enough anymore, bro. I agree it's hard to grade the receivers in light of Sanchez sucking, but Burress isn't a starter on a good team.

Burress just isn't good enough anymore, bro. I agree it's hard to grade the receivers in light of Sanchez sucking, but Burress isn't a starter on a good team.

Meh. I just don't know that he fits into the "must replace" category. I'd put him in that 2nd group, the "optional/if an opportunity arises" group. Its hard to find 6-5 receivers with superb hands.

Meh. I just don't know that he fits into the "must replace" category. I'd put him in that 2nd group, the "optional/if an opportunity arises" group. Its hard to find 6-5 receivers with superb hands.

Ah. I put him in the "must replace" group for two reasons:

1. He's a UFA and I think sone team will give him a multi-year deal to cone be their third WR (Eagles?)

2. I think if he has a chance to escape Sanchezheimer, he'll take it.

Ah. I put him in the "must replace" group for two reasons:

1. He's a UFA and I think sone team will give him a multi-year deal to cone be their third WR (Eagles?)

2. I think if he has a chance to escape Sanchezheimer, he'll take it.

This may be true. I could see him signing a relatively cheap 2-year deal with a team that only plans to use him in the Red Zone.

My comment was more a slap at Tannenbaum

Not like you.

Scott will be a huge miss if we cut him. It wasn't his best season with us, but a lot of our dominant defensive play over the previous two years was down to him. He was much more valuable than Harris, now I'm not so sure.

Anyways, you're going way OTT. There a lot of teams that would like to have the sort of parts we have to build on in the first place. On defense Safety is a must, pass rusher is a must and offense WR and RT are musts. We certainly don't need any drastic overhaul. IF we can find 4 solid - good replacements in those areas I'd bet we're a playoff team. Although if I had my way I'd leave all those positions the way they are if we could get an elite QB, which we wont so...

Some of the 2012 Roster

Wilkerson, Pouha, Devito

Upshaw, Scott, Harris, Pace

Revis, Cro, Barron, Landry

Notable backsups E Smith, Bryan Thomas, Mauga, Bellore, Wilson

Brick,Saulson, Mangold, Moore (insert FA)

Sanchez, Greene, Mcknight, Powell

Holmes, Mcnutt/Streeter? Kerley

Backups Hunter, Turner, ?

That d would make me happy. Happy enuff to support schotty

Not like you.

Scott will be a huge miss if we cut him. It wasn't his best season with us, but a lot of our dominant defensive play over the previous two years was down to him. He was much more valuable than Harris, now I'm not so sure.

Anyways, you're going way OTT. There a lot of teams that would like to have the sort of parts we have to build on in the first place. On defense Safety is a must, pass rusher is a must and offense WR and RT are musts. We certainly don't need any drastic overhaul. IF we can find 4 solid - good replacements in those areas I'd bet we're a playoff team. Although if I had my way I'd leave all those positions the way they are if we could get an elite QB, which we wont so...

Four players, eight players. What's the difference? I don't think I was being overly critical, either. They do need a RT. They do need safeties. They do need a WR and a TE. Saying so isn't OTT. Kerry Rhodes FTW.

I'm gonna give you not what I think we need, but what Rex and Schotty will probably do.

1st declare Vlad Ducasse the starting RT, claiming he will be the greatest RT ever, and say there set with depth with Hunter, and Turner.

2nd give us a line of BS how Schotty, Mark, and Tone had some friendship building camp out singing kumba ya, and our starting O skill position will only change by subbing Patrick Turner, for Plaxico, and letting LT retire and bring Powell up to replace him.

3rd they will over pay some OLB that will take B. Thomas' spot, and also be forced to give Revis another raise from his next holdout.

4th Resign Leohnard, and proclaim E. Smith the greatest Safety to play the game and he will be our starter as long as he can stand up, and sign a middle of the road (not Pool, but some one similar in skill and price).

5th trade up to the top 5 of the draft to get Claiborne CB LSU, on the threat of another Revis holdout, and Rex demanding I need more ******* CB's, this will cost the Jets there 1st, 2nd, 5th, and next years 1st.

All this will equal a 6-10 season, and bye bye Mark, Tone, Rex, Tanny, Cro, Scott, Keller, Moore, Pace, Pouha, Devito, Leohnard, and E. Smith.

This will welcome in the Tony Sparano, era and he will retain Brian Schottenheimer as Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach, and we can all relive the Rich Kotite era all over again, were destin for this we are the J E T S JETS JETS JETS, what else would you expect be serious.

What's up, E? Drafting a guard in the first would hurt badly, IMO. Way too many needs otherwise.

I'm fine with drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. The biggest holes are quarterback and receiver, but we're not replacing Sanchez with a rookie and we've only drafted a receiver in the first round once since Keyshawn, we need to up the talent level on offense, and that leaves the line. Specific merit to a guy like DeCastro (I like Glenn too; DeCastro is physically in the mold of the group we put together during the Mangini years, while Glenn has the size Rex seems to prefer and can definitely play tackle too) is pulling and blowing stuff up on the second level which were actually our biggest weaknesses this year as far as the line goes. There really aren't all that many other ways to go in terms of our drafting tendencies. Maybe Poe tests out, maybe there's a linebacker that doesn't give us Gholston flashbacks. Maybe Rex looks at Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham and decides he knows how to pick tight ends. In terms of one guy, today, DeCastro's as good a guess as any.

Do you know where that is? What thread? Would like to check it out...thanks.

Here is my article on it from last week...http://nyjetscap.com/2011_Post/bartscottcut.php

As an update I think if we cut him prior to March 8 when the new league year begins the $4.2 million accelerates onto the 2011 cap. Net hit is the same, but if anyone ever goes and publishes the numbers it wont look so bad.

Id agree both safeties need to be replaced. I do think Smith may stick on at a lower cost next season. Jets seem to like him even though he cant play. Hes a good special teams guy but unlike Brad Smith nobody knows that so its not like there is any market for him. I cant see any possible way to bring back Jim. Two years of injuries and he is just too small. Ideally the Jets should draft a safety and find a low cost veteran that can play back there.

Scott should go if they think he has some value on the free agent market. Otherwise Id keep him around for one more year. They need to draft his replacement this year and hopefully that is the guy to replace Harris when the Jets cut him in 2 more years. Like Harris and Vilma the guy would take over for Scott as a starter midway through the year. Overall I think Scott gave the Jets a very good year and a half. Last year he was very good most of the season. He came out on fire in 2009, but he got run over in a handful of those games as well. The Dolphins fullback dominated him in the first meeting. He slowed down alot at the end but he was also playing on a bum ankle. I think the issue that people have with him(besides the big mouth and no stats even though he is not in a position to put up great stats by design) is the way the Jets overspent on the ILB spot. Its the easiest spot to find cheap talent and the easiest spot to make an immediate impact. Whats more is that when you have good play in the middle from the nose it makes the need for Bart Scott and David Harris at megadollars even more meaningless.

When I ran the numbers for 34 ILBs who played 75% of the team snaps in 2010 in the NFL the average was basically just under 13% of the team tackles per player in 2010. Harris accounted for less than 10% total and 9% of the solo tackles since 2007, though he was an exceptional pass rusher. I cant find the spreadsheet but Scotts numbers were way low. When I did something similar in 2010 he was at under 8% of the teams solo tackles and it had to be far less this season. Not totally his fault last year since he isnt asked to do it, but investing 50 some million in guaranteed money to two ILBs is just a philosophy I wont understand. Neither can play in the passing game and you diminish their contributions with two "star" players at ILB. The Jets are financially much better off with one of those two and a low cost player alongside him. The team is just way too invested at ILB and CB and I just cant see that as the way to build a long term defense. The two most successful teams in year after year defensive efficiency are Pittsburgh and Baltimore and they are built on the pass rush and trenches play not having great skill guys on the outside of slow thumpers in the middle of the field.

OLB- I think BT comes back on a vets minimum deal and splits time with Maybin and Westerman until the Jets are in a position to draft someone as a pass rusher.

RT- clearly

WR- Disagree on both counts. I think Holmes can be a 1 in the league, but not in this offense. Holmes is explosive. Hes a down the field player. He is not Wes Welker. Hes not a great route runner with great hands. Hes a big play guy that makes spectacular catches when it matters and he can get on TV. The Jets decision to use him on these 5 and 7 yard routes is just foolish. Maybe Sanchez sucks, but never once did I hear Holmes complain that he was wide open down the field and his QB never pulled the trigger. However I did hear him complain all the time that he was never running down the field to allow anyone to throw him the ball. He later pegged it on the line which got him in more trouble with the team, but he just was never given a chance and then he sulked. Burress was fine. I thought he bailed Mark out alot and Id have no issue with him back here next season. Hes a good red zone threat and the Jets went from one of the worst to best in that category.

QB2- Jason Campbell will be a Jet. or Chad will be a player/coach

TE1- I think Keller is ok and could have a good season next year, but might also be trade bait. I think the bigger issue is actually TE2. You need a guy that can block and catch something like 15-25 passes to give the defense all kinds of coverage issues. The Jets have been searching for ages for that. Hartsock could block but couldnt catch a ball to save his life. Mulligan couldnt do either, but his big gainer where he did catch it is exactly the kind of play you can get with a 2nd TE with some skill. Had he made that reception in week 2 or 3 the coverages the Jets faced this year would have been far different. I think the Jets envision Cumberland in that role, but he is more of a WR than Keller is.

LG/RB- I dont think RB is optional. With the sluggish offense they need a home run hitter not a 2 yard a carry guy like Greene with zero upside that seems to take 11 weeks to get in football shape and get his legs moving every year. I would not be stunned if this is the first round pick for the team if they still view themselves as "win now". I think LG plays into that as well. Slauson has also become very chatty with the media, and while Rex doesnt mind that Im not so sure how Tannenbaum feels about that especially since he came out talking right after the coach told the guys to keep everything in house.

Id agree both safeties need to be replaced. I do think Smith may stick on at a lower cost next season. Jets seem to like him even though he cant play. Hes a good special teams guy but unlike Brad Smith nobody knows that so its not like there is any market for him. I cant see any possible way to bring back Jim. Two years of injuries and he is just too small. Ideally the Jets should draft a safety and find a low cost veteran that can play back there.

Scott should go if they think he has some value on the free agent market. Otherwise Id keep him around for one more year. They need to draft his replacement this year and hopefully that is the guy to replace Harris when the Jets cut him in 2 more years. Like Harris and Vilma the guy would take over for Scott as a starter midway through the year. Overall I think Scott gave the Jets a very good year and a half. Last year he was very good most of the season. He came out on fire in 2009, but he got run over in a handful of those games as well. The Dolphins fullback dominated him in the first meeting. He slowed down alot at the end but he was also playing on a bum ankle. I think the issue that people have with him(besides the big mouth and no stats even though he is not in a position to put up great stats by design) is the way the Jets overspent on the ILB spot. Its the easiest spot to find cheap talent and the easiest spot to make an immediate impact. Whats more is that when you have good play in the middle from the nose it makes the need for Bart Scott and David Harris at megadollars even more meaningless.

When I ran the numbers for 34 ILBs who played 75% of the team snaps in 2010 in the NFL the average was basically just under 13% of the team tackles per player in 2010. Harris accounted for less than 10% total and 9% of the solo tackles since 2007, though he was an exceptional pass rusher. I cant find the spreadsheet but Scotts numbers were way low. When I did something similar in 2010 he was at under 8% of the teams solo tackles and it had to be far less this season. Not totally his fault last year since he isnt asked to do it, but investing 50 some million in guaranteed money to two ILBs is just a philosophy I wont understand. Neither can play in the passing game and you diminish their contributions with two "star" players at ILB. The Jets are financially much better off with one of those two and a low cost player alongside him. The team is just way too invested at ILB and CB and I just cant see that as the way to build a long term defense. The two most successful teams in year after year defensive efficiency are Pittsburgh and Baltimore and they are built on the pass rush and trenches play not having great skill guys on the outside of slow thumpers in the middle of the field.

OLB- I think BT comes back on a vets minimum deal and splits time with Maybin and Westerman until the Jets are in a position to draft someone as a pass rusher.

RT- clearly

WR- Disagree on both counts. I think Holmes can be a 1 in the league, but not in this offense. Holmes is explosive. Hes a down the field player. He is not Wes Welker. Hes not a great route runner with great hands. Hes a big play guy that makes spectacular catches when it matters and he can get on TV. The Jets decision to use him on these 5 and 7 yard routes is just foolish. Maybe Sanchez sucks, but never once did I hear Holmes complain that he was wide open down the field and his QB never pulled the trigger. However I did hear him complain all the time that he was never running down the field to allow anyone to throw him the ball. He later pegged it on the line which got him in more trouble with the team, but he just was never given a chance and then he sulked. Burress was fine. I thought he bailed Mark out alot and Id have no issue with him back here next season. Hes a good red zone threat and the Jets went from one of the worst to best in that category.

TE1- I think Keller is ok and could have a good season next year, but might also be trade bait. I think the bigger issue is actually TE2. You need a guy that can block and catch something like 15-25 passes to give the defense all kinds of coverage issues. The Jets have been searching for ages for that. Hartsock could block but couldnt catch a ball to save his life. Mulligan couldnt do either, but his big gainer where he did catch it is exactly the kind of play you can get with a 2nd TE with some skill. Had he made that reception in week 2 or 3 the coverages the Jets faced this year would have been far different. I think the Jets envision Cumberland in that role, but he is more of a WR than Keller is.

LG/RB- I dont think RB is optional. With the sluggish offense they need a home run hitter not a 2 yard a carry guy like Greene with zero upside that seems to take 11 weeks to get in football shape and get his legs moving every year. I would not be stunned if this is the first round pick for the team if they still view themselves as "win now". I think LG plays into that as well. Slauson has also become very chatty with the media, and while Rex doesnt mind that Im not so sure how Tannenbaum feels about that especially since he came out talking right after the coach told the guys to keep everything in house.

Interesting never considered a RB in round 1, mostly because Richardson is the only one who is worthy, I would think the Jets would have to move up to around 11, I can't see him getting past Seattle at 12 once they lose Lynch, I've been saying the same thing the jets need a guy who knows how to take it to the house once he hits that 2nd level, and Trent would be that guy, there calling him the best RB prospect since AP, which means we prob have no shot at him.

I agree they will be adding a RB. First of all, they always do and depending upon LT, I have no faith in McKnight as an every down back and Powell hasn't shown anything. I will go on record as saying I like Greene, but he's not enough.

Another thing to consider regarding Slauson is that it looks like Callahan is out and he was Callahan's boy. FWIW I don't have a problem with Slauson and I am more worried about shoring up the right side.

Four players, eight players. What's the difference? I don't think I was being overly critical, either. They do need a RT. They do need safeties. They do need a WR and a TE. Saying so isn't OTT. Kerry Rhodes FTW.

KERRY RHODES

That's who we need. Actually nevermind, Jason mentioned Chad coming back. Best off-season ever right here.

Anyways, we're probably sticking with Keller, although I honest to God wish he'd **** off from football completely. Holmes will be #1 if he's here at all, you're not going to find a draft pick better than immediately and although I don't think he should be back he probably will. Running back is an interesting one. We certainly don't "need" one because I don't think a team ever really needs a top class running back - Especially not the direction the NFL's heading as a passing league, I'll be ******* pissed if we draft one in the 1st round. It would be nice to have an upgrade but you could say that about any position, I just think we need a better compliment to Greene. LT is done IMO.

RT- clearly

I guess I just assumed that Scott was Dead Man Walking once the report of his imminent release went public the second the season ended. Seems to be the way Tannenbaum likes to do business. Initially, I thought it was just a contract ploy to force him to tear up his deal and come down by at least half. But it seems that's not feasible at this point, so it's either cut him and lose him or bring him back at ~$6 mil? I agree I'd like to see him back, but I found it curious that his name was launched onto the chopping block the second the season ended.

Very interesting on the idea of drafting a back high. I suppose an improved running game would help/hide Sanchez but it just seems that the league has gone away from prioritizing a running game with an expensive feature back. Still having Ariian Foster would be lovely.

I suppose an improved running game would help/hide Sanchez but it just seems that the league has gone away from prioritizing a running game with an expensive feature back. Still having Ariian Foster would be lovely.

That's the thing though. Foster cost the Texans nothing more than a league-minimum free agent deal. Somebody like Trent Richardson would cost us #16 overall and something like $5 million guaranteed.

WR- Disagree on both counts. I think Holmes can be a 1 in the league, butnot in this offense. Holmes is explosive. Hes a down the field player. He is not Wes Welker. Hes not a great route runner with great hands. Hes a big play guy that makes spectacular catches when it matters and he can get on TV. The Jets decision to use him on these 5 and 7 yard routes is just foolish. Maybe Sanchez sucks, but never once did I hear Holmes complain that he was wide open down the field and his QB never pulled the trigger. However I did hear him complain all the time that he was never running down the field to allow anyone to throw him the ball. He later pegged it on the line which got him in more trouble with the team, but he just was never given a chance and then he sulked. Burress was fine. I thought he bailed Mark out alot and Id have no issue with him back here next season. Hes a good red zone threat and the Jets went from one of the worst to best in that category.

I disagree. He has been in the league for 6 years now and has yet to be a #1. I think he is more of a #2.

My question to you though is if you believe that he is a #1 Receiver, where would he rank among the other #1 receivers in the league?

Top 10

11-20

21-32

That's the thing though. Foster cost the Texans nothing more than a league-minimum free agent deal. Somebody like Trent Richardson would cost us #16 overall and something like $5 million guaranteed.

I can see the logic in selling out for a back, though. I think with Sanchez-as-albatross around their necks, TannenRex would be well-served to do everything they can to prop him up, either with (as Barton and Aten mentioned) getting an ace interior lineman or (as Jason mentioned) going out and overpaying for a back who can carry the offense. Until the point in time arrives where Sanchez either figures it out or completely implodes, the CYA strategy might be to circle the resource wagon around him.

I disagree. He has been in the league for 6 years now and has yet to be a #1. I think he is more of a #2.

My question to you though is if you believe that he is a #1 Receiver, where would he rank among the other #1 receivers in the league?

Top 10

11-20

21-32

Not to speak for Jason, but Holmes has been in two run-first offenses his entire career with relatively young QBs. After watching the Saints receivers running up and down the field last night (only one of whom was a high pick), you have to wonder what Holmes could do in a better system such as that. Granted, it's his fault for signing here in the first place, but he has to watch guys like Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem and wonder what might have been.

Price for the 16th pick would be something like 8.8 or 8.9 million which is all guaranteed. Depends on how much more value you think you would get from another position since the cost is the same for everyone except a QB.

I can see the logic in selling out for a back, though. I think with Sanchez-as-albatross around their necks, TannenRex would be well-served to do everything they can to prop him up, either with (as Barton and Aten mentioned) getting an ace interior lineman or (as Jason mentioned) going out and overpaying for a back who can carry the offense. Until the point in time arrives where Sanchez either figures it out or completely implodes, the CYA strategy might be to circle the resource wagon around him.

That's certainly possible, though I think it's stupid. We've already done that with receivers and it hasn't changed anything. Circling the wagons around a sh*tty QB comes at the cost of improving the pass-rush or OL.

I guess I just assumed that Scott was Dead Man Walking once the report of his imminent release went public the second the season ended. Seems to be the way Tannenbaum likes to do business. Initially, I thought it was just a contract ploy to force him to tear up his deal and come down by at least half. But it seems that's not feasible at this point, so it's either cut him and lose him or bring him back at ~$6 mil? I agree I'd like to see him back, but I found it curious that his name was launched onto the chopping block the second the season ended.

Very interesting on the idea of drafting a back high. I suppose an improved running game would help/hide Sanchez but it just seems that the league has gone away from prioritizing a running game with an expensive feature back. Still having Ariian Foster would be lovely.

I dont think the league has totally gone away from prioritizing the running game, I think they have moved away from featuring a prioritized back. You should never have another Shaun Alexander situation. Even the deals for Peterson and Johnson have outs for their teams. There were teams successful with their running games this year. Oakland was on fire before McFadden got hurt. Houston survived because of theirs. San Francisco was built on it. Chicago was going to have a chance in the playoffs until Forte got hurt. Ravens are a running team and even the Steelers are still that type of team to some extent. The Bengals and Falcons both need the run to open things up. Broncos and Seahawks were ok teams going run first. So there are teams that run. The teams that have moved away are those with the great QBs that can air it out because they dont need the run to set up the QB nor do they ever need ball control on offense.

The things is right now we dont have a great QB and we likely wont have one next year. With the exception of the crazy third down calls this has also been a running team since Schotty was here (which actually surprised me when I ran the stats on it). I think the issue for the Jets is if they view themselves as a win now team they have to go back to what worked in 2009 and 2010 which was running the ball like crazy and taking a few deep chances with the ball. You need an explosive runner. They try every year in the draft and its basically been bust-bust-bust in that regard. Greene is ok, but not as a big play guy. McKnight is bad and I have to assume Powell is hideous. Maybe they need to try higher or just find a scrap heap player because the current strategy has not worked. What they cant do is go out and sign Matt Forte or ever consider spending any money on their own free agent RB (I dont care if Greene runs for 2000 yards next year-- let him walk).

Price for the 16th pick would be something like 8.8 or 8.9 million which is all guaranteed. Depends on how much more value you think you would get from another position since the cost is the same for everyone except a QB.

Didn't realize the slot was that high. Couple that with the opportunity cost and it's just stupid enough for this group to do it.

Depends on how much more value you think you would get from another position since the cost is the same for everyone except a QB.

The idea of surplus value is why it's generally a bad idea to draft a running back in the first round. The difference between a blue chip tackle and a second-rounder is huge. The difference between a blue chip halfback and a UDFA is pretty small.

Not to speak for Jason, but Holmes has been in two run-first offenses his entire career with relatively young QBs. After watching the Saints receivers running up and down the field last night (only one of whom was a high pick), you have to wonder what Holmes could do in a better system such as that. Granted, it's his fault for signing here in the first place, but he has to watch guys like Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem and wonder what might have been.

This. Plus he has had two very good seasons. Hes usually high in the average category, especially when you take into account that he is a full time WR rather than just a deep threat. When I went over his contract estimate and compared him statistically with others at similar stages in their careers he was pretty much right there. His 3 year averages were right on pace with Jennings and White (though in fairness they were poor in year 3 and exploded in the contract year which Holmes never did) and Reggie Wayne(who played in a superb passing offense) and well above guys like Roy Williams, who at one time was considered a really good young talent. Sometimes it just doesnt pan out and maybe he ends up more Williams than Jennings, but the body of work just about justified the total cost of the deal. The only thing I think they did wrong was they should have seen what happened if he played the market to see what the drug issues did for his value. I think the way they pounced on him so fast it was pretty obvious that they did not want Braylon on any long term deal.

This. Plus he has had two very good seasons. Hes usually high in the average category, especially when you take into account that he is a full time WR rather than just a deep threat. When I went over his contract estimate and compared him statistically with others at similar stages in their careers he was pretty much right there. His 3 year averages were right on pace with Jennings and White (though in fairness they were poor in year 3 and exploded in the contract year which Holmes never did) and Reggie Wayne(who played in a superb passing offense) and well above guys like Roy Williams, who at one time was considered a really good young talent. Sometimes it just doesnt pan out and maybe he ends up more Williams than Jennings, but the body of work just about justified the total cost of the deal. The only thing I think they did wrong was they should have seen what happened if he played the market to see what the drug issues did for his value.

I like how you compare Holmes to Greg Jennings, Roddy White, and Reggie Wayne and then tell him to go test the market. We may be looking at the next Josh McDaniels here.

Archived