Upgrading the DL should not be ignored

Barton

Look where the Jets Dline stacks in comparison around the league. Solid, decent, middle of the pack.

Devito is coming off an injury and was at his best as a backup. Offers very little as a pass rusher. Solid but limited player.

Pouha is getting alittle older, not an overwhelming force to begin with. Good but limited player.

Wilkerson is a promising 2nd year guy.

Dixon is a good backup.

What else is there? Not much.

I'm not saying draft Dline in the 1st rd, but in free agency and during the draft, another piece should be added to this group.

Michael Brockers is the only guy I would LOVE to have at 16, and even then maye he's overrated.

After that I think the only DL I'd fall over myself for at 16 is Poe if he does what he might be able to do at combine.

Coples from UNC might be interesting there but he'd need 20 pounds on him once he hit the pros...Fletcher Cox might be able to take a 3-4 DE spot, but I'm not sure on it and wouldn't use a first on that idea...If I'm the Jets I'd just look for guys who get through the cracks...Forston from Miami....Randall from Texas...love Mike Martin from Michigan as this year's undersized NT...etc...Ta'amu or the Utah NT...

While the pass rush absolutely needs to be upgraded, the Jets are not looking to get that from a pure every down DL. They are going to be looking for more of an OLB/DL tweener type to fill that role. If anything, the DL is the strongest unit on the Jets right now, and as long as Rex is HC I think is the one position that, as fans, we should have little reason to worry about. While I could see them taking some fliers on guys to bring in and compete, barring them being unable to re-sign Pouha, with him, DeVito, Wilkerson, Dixon, Pitoitua and Ellis already on the team, I wouldn't expect any serious changes to that unit.

While the pass rush absolutely needs to be upgraded, the Jets are not looking to get that from a pure every down DL. They are going to be looking for more of an OLB/DL tweener type to fill that role. If anything, the DL is the strongest unit on the Jets right now, and as long as Rex is HC I think is the one position that, as fans, we should have little reason to worry about. While I could see them taking some fliers on guys to bring in and compete, barring them being unable to re-sign Pouha, with him, DeVito, Wilkerson, Dixon, Pitoitua and Ellis already on the team, I wouldn't expect any serious changes to that unit.

While I agree with everything you said about Rex and the DL I think I'd make relations with an overweight middle aged woman for Brockers on this DL. He's gotten Seymour comparisons...Same exact body as all those great DTs from the 2000's (Henderson, Stroud, Williams, Seymour, young Haynesworth)...top of the line athleticism obviously.

I always wanted a Seymour - Wilfork - Warren type of line and Brokers - Pouha/DeVito/Ellis - Wilkerson would lay waste to NFL teams as well as nations.

Oh and in FA the only DL worth going after is Campbell from the Cardinals, though I've always liked Kendall Langford on the Phins...

A guy like Langford should be a priority in FA. Young, has shown he can play, scheme fit, wont break the bank etc.

Unless there is a can't miss guy in the 12-18 pick range, It would be more worthwhile to take someone like Mark Barron, or Donta Hightower.

For the Jets it would be better if they take a D-line prospect with one of their compensatory picks and groom him as the season goes. In the second round get a right tackle. Jeff allen of Illinois looks promising. As for late second early third, get Vontaze Burfict, his character will drop him there

This. DL was definitely our best unit last year. I see them resigning Pouha for 3 years or something like that and doing very little addition. OLB is what we need.

Beyond the size I don't get the big deal at this point.

Me neither He doesnt completely suck and made a couple of plays last season, but I don't feel like he's taken the spot. He's a career backup and provides nice depth. I would be very surprised to see anything more from him.

Me neither He doesnt completely suck and made a couple of plays last season, but I don't feel like he's taken the spot. He's a career backup and provides nice depth. I would be very surprised to see anything more from him.

Agreed completely...I get that Rex complimenting the guy on Hard Knocks a couple of years ago essentially wrote him a lifetime contract with the fans, but he wasn't anything special then either. He's slightly more than a stiff here, and Dixon has flown right past him.

Seriously? Last year's draft was entirely dedicated to it. Developmentally it's the one unit on the team where we're stacked for the future. The DL rotation is the one thing this team has going for it. Say what you want about Rex but the dude can pick 'em. Dixon and Ropati check out and Ellis is a Ngata clone in the making by 2013 or so. Pouha and DeVito clearly haven't lost a step at all. Wilkerson is certainly legit. On a 3-man front I'm not sure what more you guys are looking for.

Agreed completely...I get that Rex complimenting the guy on Hard Knocks a couple of years ago essentially wrote him a lifetime contract with the fans, but he wasn't anything special then either. He's slightly more than a stiff here, and Dixon has flown right past him.

He's certainly nothing brilliant, but he's been a pretty solid rotational guy. Not sure how much more you really expect out of a #4/5 DL who came in as an UDFA and was seeing his first real action this season.

Seriously? Last year's draft was entirely dedicated to it. Developmentally it's the one unit on the team where we're stacked for the future. The DL rotation is the one thing this team has going for it. Say what you want about Rex but the dude can pick 'em. Dixon and Ropati check out and Ellis is a Ngata clone in the making by 2013 or so. Pouha and DeVito clearly haven't lost a step at all. Wilkerson is certainly legit. On a 3-man front I'm not sure what more you guys are looking for.

Mostly just the Ropati love...I have a problem with the teams 6th man in the rotation.

So you buy Ellis too? Can't say I expected that.

He's certainly nothing brilliant, but he's been a pretty solid rotational guy. Not sure how much more you really expect out of a #4/5 DL who came in as an UDFA and was seeing his first real action this season.

I think I do it because of a bad hype:production ratio that just turns me off. He's not hurting the team at all, but young guys are walking right past him on the charts. He's probably out of the league with in 3 years.

I think I do it because of a bad hype:production ratio that just turns me off. He's not hurting the team at all, but young guys are walking right past him on the charts.

Fair enough, but if he's the Jets biggest problem on the DL, they're in pretty damn good shape. If anything, he'll probably be the guy most fighting for his job with whatever low level FA / UDFA types they bring in, which is fine, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he manages to keep it.

Mostly just the Ropati love...I have a problem with the teams 6th man in the rotation.

So you buy Ellis too? Can't say I expected that.

Planet theory monster. Can't say it surprised me that people aren't willing to give Rex more than a few months to bring him along. There's a reason we're not going after Poe this April.

Planet theory monster. Can't say it surprised me that people aren't willing to give Rex more than a few months to bring him along. There's a reason we're not going after Poe this April.

The thing I find funny is when you consider how quickly so many people are ready to give up on Ellis, considering how the Jets' current starting NT's career began. Compared to Pouha's rookie year, Ellis looked like an All-Pro out there. The guy couldn't beat out James freakin' Reed, who he had about 100 lbs on, for playing time.

Loved Ellis in college. The thing that gets you is that he's a 6'5" 350 pound guy who played like he knows what's at stake for him...did it at the Shrine game too, where everyone got to see. IMO one of the best football players in last years draft...I was stunned to see the Jets pick/land him.

It does suck that draft picks get like 20 minutes before fans have their career story written out.

They need to re-sign Pouha. When this D was insane was in 2009 when Jenkins was in. They've been good to great without him, but if Ellis can develop towards that they will be tremendous. Pouha can play some @ DE or DT - whatever they call the other DE. These guys take time to develop and nobody looked terrible, though Ellis looked a rookie IMO.

Loved Ellis in college. The thing that gets you is that he's a 6'5" 350 pound guy who played like he knows what's at stake for him...did it at the Shrine game too, where everyone got to see. IMO one of the best football players in last years draft...I was stunned to see the Jets pick/land him.

It does suck that draft picks get like 20 minutes before fans have their career story written out.

Most neglect the notion that if a dude like that was capable of starting right away, he goes in the top 10 about 99% of the time. sh*t we almost went after Sedrick once upon a time just because of the possibility. Rounds 3 and on these are the types of picks you make. 10 times out of 10 you take the Ellises and Slausons of the world over the all-world fullback. If Ellis achieves even 75% of what he's capable of we're fine.

Cmon now.

and they wiffed badly on ellis

we want a pass rush

Yep. And while I wanted him to be a beast as much as anyone else, so far he just hasn't shown all that much. No where near being cut yet, but a starter he's not. Jets fans IMO are used to loving the sub par. I'm guilty of holding Kyle Cifton, Al toon, Kenny O, Jerald Sowell etc close to my heart and their value may never diminish with me, but the truth be told, very few people outside of Jetville or Miami have ever heard of them. Our love for the subpar is why we haven't been to the bowl in my entire 39 year lifetime.

Ropati is nice and he's tall and he's probably very charitable and all good nice things, but Andre ware he is not. As a matter of fact Demarcus Ware either lol (I know he's a LB by the way) I'm merely commenting on impact

and they wiffed badly on ellis

we want a pass rush

You can tell he a bust from his limited play this year? I can't. Gotta give him the three year rule. He's not playing an easy position, there is a lot of mental work that goes into that position. You can't be good at it until you learn that stuff.

BTW didn't it take Pouha like 4-5 years until he became what he is now

Archived