Darren McFadden

NYJ553

I don't post here much, but saw this rumor out there and wanted to see what you guys thought. With Michael Bush possibly receiving the franchise tag in Oakland, DMC may become available for trade. With his injury history he would be a risk, but he'd be a great compliment to Shonn Greene. Also he did a lot of wildcat in college and would seem to fit in nicely with Sparano's offense. What would you be willing to part with for DMC? 2nd or 3rd round pick?

What type of cap ramifications would a trade like this have? Say what you want about his injury history, but DMac is a beast. If we are really going back to our GnP roots, we need another stud back to team up with Greene. DMac would certainly be better than any RB in this draft...

The ramifications are that he makes just under $6M/year for the next 2 years and then needs another huge contract after 2 years, in place of a mid-2nd round pick (allegedly) who would come dirt-cheap for the next 4 years. If he was more durable - or durable at all - and a gaping hole at RB was even top-5 on the team's need-list I might think it's worth it. Then again, if he was durable and reliable Oakland wouldn't be shopping him around in the first place after eating the expensive part of his contract.

no

the NFL is not like Major League baseball --- team's can't just Steinbrenner and raise their payrolls to 500 million a year

Steinbrenner huh...spoken like a true anti-yankee fan...Mets fan!...you should have added...Phillies, Angels, Nats, Florida, Boston, to your comment bro...just saying

The ramifications are that he makes just under $6M/year for the next 2 years and then needs another huge contract after 2 years, in place of a mid-2nd round pick (allegedly) who would come dirt-cheap for the next 4 years. If he was more durable - or durable at all - and a gaping hole at RB was even top-5 on the team's need-list I might think it's worth it. Then again, if he was durable and reliable Oakland wouldn't be shopping him around in the first place after eating the expensive part of his contract.

I think that if we were able swing him for a 2nd and next years 4th this would be a very good trade for us...I don't know if that would be enough, and I wouldn't be willing to offer more, but if we are truly going back to our GnP roots we need another dynamic back. With a new RT, McFadden, Braylon (on the cheap), the rest of our picks on defense...I think we are good next year.

I think that if we were able swing him for a 2nd and next years 4th this would be a very good trade for us...I don't know if that would be enough, and I wouldn't be willing to offer more, but if we are truly going back to our GnP roots we need another dynamic back. With a new RT, McFadden, Braylon (on the cheap), the rest of our picks on defense...I think we are good next year.

It's all just personal opinion, but I think it's a bad fit for us. We aren't just a RB away and we've thrown around too many cheap draft picks recently to sign up for another one that only has 2 years left on his deal (and who may hold out for a new deal after only 1 season. I know his agent will surely recommend that move given his injury history).

The team needs depth at a bunch of positions and upgrading from $600K to $1-2M per player for 3-5 incoming guys would go a long way.

I understand it both ways because he's a unique player. One of the few RB's with game-breaking talent. IMO he's so likely to be injured and his existing deal is so short I think we're better off finding our own RBs in the draft and using our cap dollars plus those two picks you're willing to give up to upgrade total voids in the starting lineup and/or upgrading depth in a number of areas.

Archived