One lesson the Jets organization has to learn now

Bugg

It's not about PSLs.

It's not about who owns New York.

It's not about swagger.

it's about focus-every day, every down.

It's about winning football games in the big picture. But the big picture is made up of a whole bunch of smaller pictures-off season conditioning, the draft, free agency. And then every practice.Every gameplan. And then. every series. And every play and every assignment. Talking about the Super Bowl is pointless without all that has to come before it. There has been a vibe in this franchise way too often that talking was occasionally (or in the Herman Edwards Error, often) a substitute for working hard.

I believe Rex Ryan can be a successful coach here. but there needs to be a greater focus on the tasks at hand and less discussion of the ulitmate goal. It's important to know what the goal is, but babbling about it 24/7 does not replace all of the things you need to do to get there.

And also-kick the tires on Manning and Flyyn ans Hasslebeck and who ever. And if that harms Mark Sanchez's fragile psyche, too bad. Make a decision who the QB will be and make the move.And if it's Sanchez he needs a heart transplant and a kick in the a$$ at a minimum. At $12 million er we haven't gotten close to production that justified those paydays.

And for chrissakes do not leave $8 million in open cap room because the GM can only do one thing at a time.

It's not about PSLs.

It's not about who owns New York.

It's not about swagger.

it's about focus-every day, every down.

It's about winning football games in the big picture. But the big picture is made up of a whole bunch of smaller pictures-off season conditioning, the draft, free agency. And then every practice.Every gameplan. And then. every series. And every play and every assignment. Talking about the Super Bowl is pointless without all that has to come before it. There has been a vibe in this franchise way too often that talking was occasionally (or in the Herman Edwards Error, often) a substitute for working hard.

I believe Rex Ryan can be a successful coach here. but there needs to be a greater focus on the tasks at hand and less discussion of the ulitmate goal. It's important to know what the goal is, but babbling about it 24/7 does not replace all of the things you need to do to get there.

And also-kick the tires on Manning and Flyyn ans Hasslebeck and who ever. And if that harms Mark Sanchez's fragile psyche, too bad. Make a decision who the QB will be and make the move.And if it's Sanchez he needs a heart transplant and a kick in the a$$ at a minimum. At $12 million er we haven't gotten close to production that justified those paydays.

And for chrissakes do not leave $8 million in open cap room because the GM can only do one thing at a time.

Excellent post....and I agree

Yea the talking has got to stop Bugg and one other thing you forgot to mention; Rex MUST be the coach of the WHOLE team, not just the defense. Look at Bill Belichick and the way he has transformed the offensive mindset in the NFL. Now he was 'THE' defensive guru of his time and he has taken it upon himself to be a better HEAD coach by devising ways to beat defenses LIKE the Ryan brothers' defensive schemes. We all have seen it, attacking the middle of the field with TE's who are just big wide receivers. When slow and run stopping LBers and safeties are forced to try and cover guys like Gronk and Hernandez, well we all saw the results of what EVERY opposition tight end has done to the Ryan defense...Rex has to figure that out and figure out how to score more points and not have to rely on his defenders to ALWAYS have to make the critical game-saving stops-it stopped working this year-the only time it DID work was against Dallas in the opener and the Buffalo game that Stevie Johnson dropped a for sure game-winning TD pass.

All I know is, if we lose 3 in a row next year, I better not a hear a friggin word about wining the superbowl. Just focus on winning a goddam game. O, and feel free to attend meetings, Rex, so you know what hell is going on with the team.

He apparently never went to offensive meetings, and now he says he will be more involved with the defense so he can go to the meetings as well.

If he wasn't going to offensive or defensive meetings, what the he!! was he doing all year? It is no wonder he had no farkin clue what was happening in the locker room. He was never there.

Yea the talking has got to stop Bugg and one other thing you forgot to mention; Rex MUST be the coach of the WHOLE team, not just the defense. Look at Bill Belichick and the way he has transformed the offensive mindset in the NFL. Now he was 'THE' defensive guru of his time and he has taken it upon himself to be a better HEAD coach by devising ways to beat defenses LIKE the Ryan brothers' defensive schemes. We all have seen it, attacking the middle of the field with TE's who are just big wide receivers. When slow and run stopping LBers and safeties are forced to try and cover guys like Gronk and Hernandez, well we all saw the results of what EVERY opposition tight end has done to the Ryan defense...Rex has to figure that out and figure out how to score more points and not have to rely on his defenders to ALWAYS have to make the critical game-saving stops-it stopped working this year-the only time it DID work was against Dallas in the opener and the Buffalo game that Stevie Johnson dropped a for sure game-winning TD pass.

The bigger problem is the QB.

But without a doubt the vaunted 4-6 Ryan defense he and his brother run are no longer sure things. Cowboys depend more on Ware, we depend more on Revis. But no matter-there's tons of tape on what they're doing, and it's not nearly as effective as it was 2 years ago. Even TEs who are nothing special have career days vs. the Jets.

The tight end thing is due to personnel, not scheme. Which goes back to drafting...something the Jets have been awful at.

True. Bad and slow LBs and safeties are a problem. But if you watch the Cowboys and Jets seemed to be something both defenses shared was an inability to cover any tight end, even not marginal ones. It wasn't jsut gronk and Witten but also nobodies.

The tight end thing is due to personnel, not scheme. Which goes back to drafting...something the Jets have been awful at.

exactly Matt-that's what we're saying-the players that the Ryan defenses need in the middle are bigger mostly run stopping oriented players-the game has changed-Bugg is right-it has changed a LOT even from 2009...the Jets go and hire a defensive minded coach in the age of the passer and the offense-frigging figures

exactly Matt-that's what we're saying-the players that the Ryan defenses need in the middle are bigger mostly run stopping oriented players-the game has changed-Bugg is right-it has changed a LOT even from 2009...the Jets go and hire a defensive minded coach in the age of the passer and the offense-frigging figures

Right. Pretty obvious the Pats went after Gronk and Hernandez for that reason....they knew they weren't going to beat Revis and Cromartie twice a year on the outside.

Right. Pretty obvious the Pats went after Gronk and Hernandez for that reason....they knew they weren't going to beat Revis and Cromartie twice a year on the outside.

and again, it's the perfect example of why (hate his as we do and all) Bill Belichick is going into the Hall Of Fame 5 years after he retires-which will be the same year that Brady hangs them up too-watch. Back on point-Belichick learned how to be the coach of the whole team and went from essentially what Rex Ryan is and has actually become an innovator when it comes to the NFL offense...

I don't think Rex's talk is that big of a deal. When someone asks him how he thinks the Jets can win a Superbowl, what does everyone expect him to say? "Our goal is to lose in the first round of the playoffs this year" or "We want to be a .500 team this year"?

I think that finally letting Brian Schittenheimer go is a pretty big step in the right direction. His offensive philosophy led to a totally unproductive and completely predictable offense, especially when the Jets had some injuries. I'm happy they brought in Tony Sparano, a Parcells guy, who will make Sanchez better. I think Sanchez needs a coach who won't just automatically tell him "That's ok, we'll get it next time" every time Sanchez throws a pic, fumbles or takes a sack. When Phil Simms or Drew Bledsoe would do that several years ago, Parcells would should "You SUCK!!!" to them when they got back to the sidelines. He'd post DO's and DON'Ts lists in their lockers. He was quoted as saying, "Where is it written that you can't yell at your quarterback?" And he didn't care how much money his QB made or what spot in the draft he was selected.

The Jets D needs some tweaking for sure. Brian Thomas is almost guarateed not to be back, and Bart Scott could very well be gone as well. Leonhard is qeustionable to return. They will need to find some people at the LB and saftey spots. But the Jets' D isn't the big problem, because it's still a top 5 D. When it has to be on the field for 75% of games (simply because of Schitty's "3 and out" offense) it's simply not going to do well.

and again, it's the perfect example of why (hate his as we do and all) Bill Belichick is going into the Hall Of Fame 5 years after he retires-

belli had a bad super bowl

he challenged the manningham catch which was right in front of him (could have used that time out)

he had 12 men on the field during a key Giants drive

and he let the Giants score too late (i.e. why let them score from the 6 yard line but not from the 7 yard line).

he challenged the manningham catch which was right in front of him (could have used that time out)

and he let the Giants score too late (i.e. why let them score from the 6 yard line but not from the 7 yard line).

That would have saved a timeout as well

Belli was outcoached by Coughlin again...that has to sting for Patsie Fans to digest

Your point about BB is dead on. I do not want to hear Rex say he needs to go back to defense. Defense did not lose for us this year. I want to hear a vision for the whole team. " Ground and pound" is bull sh*te. Nobody can ground and pound anymore. And why would you want to, when rules committees have castrated defensive secondaries? Everybody would like to run the ball, but how many teams do I see fail on 3rd and short or 4th and short. To me it is far more commonplace now. Hell, offenses line up in empty backfields now on 3rd and 2!!! "Ground and pound' is a copout. We need a little more offensive vision from Rex than that. BB knew when he needed to change horses a bit. And how can a guy who spends his time stopping offenses not have any idea what kind of offense is the toughest for defenses to play? He just says a lot of dumb things.

why not let Myra kraft cause a kicker to pull or shank one, Cundiff's kick was pretty much an extra point

So the Giants lost 4 in a row this season. Wonder where they ended up being ?

if Mark Sanchez can drive half the field with all of his TOs from midfield, probably not having a parade today. There is no such thing as a good 4 game losing streak,

So the Giants lost 4 in a row this season. Wonder where they ended up being ?

I'll give you some skittles if you can find me one single Giant player or coach who was talking about winning a Super Bowl during that 4 game losing streak. Thanks for making my point for me.

"I think I’m out of that prediction game.

What was I supposed to say? We had gone to back-to-back championship games. I just wanted to make sure our team knew that, ‘Hey, look, guys, we were so close, we’re going to win this thing this year,’ and I was telling our players that and I was telling the league that. Unfortunately, it never quite worked out that way."

- Jets head coach Rex Ryan

Looks like Rex agrees.

I'll give you some skittles if you can find me one single Giant player or coach who was talking about winning a Super Bowl during that 4 game losing streak. Thanks for making my point for me.

"I think I’m out of that prediction game.

What was I supposed to say? We had gone to back-to-back championship games. I just wanted to make sure our team knew that, ‘Hey, look, guys, we were so close, we’re going to win this thing this year,’ and I was telling our players that and I was telling the league that. Unfortunately, it never quite worked out that way."

- Jets head coach Rex Ryan

Looks like Rex agrees.

No sh*t? where did you find this? I cant wait to see the evolution of Rex Ryan. <3 that guy

over on thejetsblog.com. They just put it up. I, for one, am glad he will tone down the rhetoric. It gets old fast, especially when you lose 8 games. This is not the town to run your mouth and not back it up.

I don't know but does anybody else get the feeling that Rex was told that he better "tone it down" or his big mouth could cost him his job? I just have the feeling that somebody, somewhere in the Jets organization may have heard some scuttlebutt and let Rex know what Woody was saying....

They still won the SB despite losing 4 games in the season. So it can be done.

If you believe everything Rex says, i got a bridge in Brooklyn................

They still won the SB despite losing 4 games in the season. So it can be done.

If you believe everything Rex says, i got a bridge in Brooklyn................

Dude, seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Where did I say they can't win a superbowl?

I said, they better not talk about wining a superbowl while losing 3 games in a row, big difference.

You say the Giants lost 4 in a row and won a superbowl.......Great...You still wont find any Giants talking about winning it during that time. In fact, the only thing I remember being talked about during the losing streak is how Coughlin should lose his job.

If you have something constructive to add please do, until then, please try and do a better job of understanding what I am saying.

Dude, seriously, what the hell are you talking about? Where did I say they can't win a superbowl?

I said, they better not talk about wining a superbowl while losing 3 games in a row, big difference.

You say the Giants lost 4 in a row and won a superbowl.......Great...You still wont find any Giants talking about winning it during that time. In fact, the only thing I remember being talked about during the losing streak is how Coughlin should lose his job.

:face:

If you have something constructive to add please do, until then, please try and do a better job of understanding what I am saying.

Didn't you used to me ex-gf ?

Archived