Cimini: Combine Preview, On The Jets Radar

flgreen

Combine preview: On the Jets' radar

February, 22, 2012

Feb 22

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets own the 16th pick in the draft and they have a lot of areas to address -- namely, outside linebacker, safety, right tackle and wide receiver.

On Wednesday, the next step in the evaluation process begins -- the scouting combine in Indianapolis, where 300-plus prospects will gather to be timed, tested, measured, examined and interviewed. Here are 10 players on the Jets' first-round watch list:

Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama -- It'll be an upset if he lasts until 16, but he's the best runner in the draft and could be worth a trade-up. The Jets could use a guy who averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State -- The Jets need a No. 2 WR to replace Plaxico Burress, and Blackmon (6-1, 208) has star potential. Like Richardson, he's probably a top-10 pick.

Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina -- He's an outstanding pass rusher as a 4-3 DE, but the question is whether he can transition to a 3-4 OLB. He's a shade under 6-foot-2 and, at 276, might be too heavy for the position. The Jets will be curious to see his agility and ability to drop into coverage.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama -- He's probably the best 3-4 OLB in the draft, and that has to excite the Jets, who need one in the worst way to replace Bryan Thomas. The Jets are linked to Upshaw in many mock drafts.

David DeCastro, G, Stanford -- It's unusual for a guard to get picked as high as 16th, but DeCastro (6-5, 310) has special talent and the Jets may have a need, depending on Matt Slauson's recovery from shoulder surgery.

Cordy Glenn, G/T, Georgia -- He's intriguing because of his size (6-5, 348) and versatility. The Jets want to upgrade at right tackle, but they could always kick him inside if it doesn't work out.

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU -- At 6-6, 306, he's a Muhammad Wilkerson clone in terms of size. Why would they draft another defensive end? DE Mike DeVito is entering the final year of his contract.

Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame -- He has an off-the-field issue that needs to be checked out, so the interview process will be vital for him. At 6-3, he's just what the Jets need to pair with Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley.

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State -- At 6-foot-7, 323 pounds, he has "right tackle" written all over him.

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College -- The Jets could be looking for someone to replace Bart Scott, who has slowed down and could be released.

Note: Alabama S Mark Barron is recovering from double hernia surgery and will skip the combine. He reportedly will need two months to recover, which means he probably won't be ready for his March 7 pro day. When healthy, he's the best safety in the draft, seemingly an ideal fit for the Jets.

Cool...Cimini lists 11 players. Whoever the Jets pick you can be guaranteed of two things, Cimini will criticize the pick, and second, he'll mention "As first reported by ESPN, the Jets were looking at this player..."

The more I look at it, the more I like Upshaw or Adams

My only issue with taking a RT that high is it's a position that is less likely to require a high pick for high success than pass-rushers. Or maybe you can make that pick if it was the single most glaring hole on the entire team by a long-shot, which it is not.

The flip-side of that being we need a RT upgrade right away not someone to groom into the starting job a year or so later like with Slauson. Hunter sucked but early or long-term injuries to all 3 guys in the middle, combined with a QB who can't sense pressure, played a factor. The story of the 2011 Jets was not "Oh, if only we had an all-pro in his prime instead of Wayne Hunter we'd have won the superbowl."

My only issue with taking a RT that high is it's a position that is less likely to require a high pick for high success than pass-rushers. Or maybe you can make that pick if it was the single most glaring hole on the entire team by a long-shot, which it is not.

The flip-side of that being we need a RT upgrade right away not someone to groom into the starting job a year or so later like with Slauson. Hunter sucked but early or long-term injuries to all 3 guys in the middle, combined with a QB who can't sense pressure, played a factor. The story of the 2011 Jets was not "Oh, if only we had an all-pro in his prime instead of Wayne Hunter we'd have won the superbowl."

How much of Hunters sukage was due to sanchez calling wrong protection schemes?. Hunter played well in prior year. I honestly dont know.

Agreed but if Upshaw is gone do you reach for an OLB even of a RT is the best player on the board?

Well said, and this is exactly my thought on the subject as well. RT is probably the one position the Jets most desperately need a week 1 starter, but it's not a position that you typically need to use a pick that high on, and the Jets would likely be better served, long term, in addressing a position that's more difficult to address and they would have a better chance of finding a high-impact type player, like a pass rusher or even WR. Definitely a tricky situation, but if the Jets have any confidence that they could even just get by allowing a mid-to-late pick compete with Hunter and Ducasse, and get a starter out of one of them, then I can't imagine them taking one that high.

Yeah, no. RT that high is just stupid IMO. DeCastro is interesting because he's really being touted as the next great Guard, but I still would be pissed with that pick at this point.

Pass rushers please. Upshaw, Ingram, Whitney - or I really dont give a ****.

Yeah, no. RT that high is just stupid IMO. DeCastro is interesting because he's really being touted as the next great Guard, but I still would be pissed with that pick at this point.

Pass rushers please. Upshaw, Ingram, Whitney - or I really dont give a ****.

It'd be pretty amusing if they took one of the few players that they have who was drafted late but blossomed into a decent, cheap starter and threw him to the side for a premium-salaried first round draft pick on a unit that already has multiple first rounders.

It'd be pretty amusing if they took one of the few players that they have who was drafted late but blossomed into a decent, cheap starter and threw him to the side for a premium-salaried first round draft pick on a unit that already has multiple first rounders.

I agree it would be funny...but its also the reason I dont see it happening.

Pass Rushers or bust. If we draft anything other, I'll be pissed. Or at least thats where I stand right now. As with every draft season, this is subject to change.

this is actually not a terrible list. In fact It's a safe assumption that the Jets 16 pick is included among these players.

to cull it further...

assume Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon are long gone. they are top 10 if not top 5 prospects in this draft.

Kuechly not a fit for 3-4. Michael Floyd doesn't seem likely either, it's not really a position they emphasize in the first round of drafts.

also assume Barron won't be healthy enough to justify a rd 1 selection (they could target him in 2 or beyond)

that leaves 6 names:

OLB

Upshaw

Ingram

OT

Mike Adams

Cordy Glenn

OG

Decastro

DT

Brockers

*(culling even further it is probably safe to assume Decastro and Brockers are gone. Many teams need these guys worse than the Jets do. altho I agree with Cimini the Jets would seriously consider either player.

That leaves 4 names: Adams, Glenn, Ingram, Upshaw)*

How much of Hunters sukage was due to sanchez calling wrong protection schemes?. Hunter played well in prior year. I honestly dont know.

Serious question here, wouldn't (and shouldn't) line protection be called by Mangold? Sanchez should certainly be calling out back protection.

If the Jets are relying on Sanchez to make line calls, they probably are handling the offense incorrectly. I doubt they are doing that.

Serious question here, wouldn't (and shouldn't) line protection be called by Mangold? Sanchez should certainly be calling out back protection.

If the Jets are relying on Sanchez to make line calls, they probably are handling the offense incorrectly. I doubt they are doing that.

Both Qbs and centers call out protections, specially when play is being audibled

Center can see only so much

You didn't answer my question-Who makes the line blocking calls on the Jets?

I would assume that it is Sanchez' responsibility to pick out the blitzing LB?

Again, who makes the line calls?

Mangold makes them or Slauson/Moore if he's hurt. Sanchez doesn't make the lineblocking calls. the dude can't even go to his 2nd or 3rd read or throw above 55% how is he gonna run the OL too? in fact there were stories that sometimes when Mark was a rookie he'd ask Mangold which play to call, from the line. Mangold would point to a direction and they would run that way.

Mangold makes them or Slauson/Moore if he's hurt. Sanchez doesn't make the lineblocking calls. the dude can't even go to his 2nd or 3rd read or throw above 55% how is he gonna run the OL too? in fact there were stories that sometimes when Mark was a rookie he'd ask Mangold which play to call, from the line. Mangold would point to a direction and they would run that way.

Thought that was the way it was, and it is smart for the Jets to approach it that way.

Thanks.

Thought that was the way it was, and it is smart for the Jets to approach it that way.

Thanks.

yes centers make Line calls, QBS also call out protection schemes, specifically when he sees a blitz. If your top 5 pick cannot do that, he is worthless

why i asked question, some of hunters sacks maybe caused by MS being his stupid self

yes centers make Line calls, QBS also call out protection schemes, specifically when he sees a blitz. If your top 5 pick cannot do that, he is worthless

why i asked question, some of hunters sacks maybe caused by MS being his stupid self

Or maybe BOTH Sanchez and Hunter suck a$$ completely independently of one another. What a concept. I'm pretty sure when Hunter is lined up directly across from a defensive player, tries to block that player right off the snap and fails miserably at it, there's really nobody else to blame but him.

I seemed to witness Hunter getting beat more on one-on-one engagements than incorrect reads.

The same thing happened in exhibition when other QB's were in calling signals.

Blame Sanchez for a lot,but to blame him for the suckiness of Hunter is a bit unfair.

Or maybe BOTH Sanchez and Hunter suck a$$ completely independently of one another. What a concept. I'm pretty sure when Hunter is lined up directly across from a defensive player, tries to block that player right off the snap and fails miserably at it, there's really nobody else to blame but him.

Hunter may in fact suk, he did play well in prior year. I would think Jets CS knows how many sacks were caused by Hunter and how many by MS

this is actually not a terrible list. In fact It's a safe assumption that the Jets 16 pick is included among these players.

to cull it further...

assume Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon are long gone. they are top 10 if not top 5 prospects in this draft.

Kuechly not a fit for 3-4. Michael Floyd doesn't seem likely either, it's not really a position they emphasize in the first round of drafts.

also assume Barron won't be healthy enough to justify a rd 1 selection (they could target him in 2 or beyond)

that leaves 6 names:

OLB

Upshaw

Ingram

OT

Mike Adams

Cordy Glenn

OG

Decastro

DT

Brockers

*(culling even further it is probably safe to assume Decastro and Brockers are gone. Many teams need these guys worse than the Jets do. altho I agree with Cimini the Jets would seriously consider either player.

Agree with all of this, except that it is possible that DeCastro is still on the board when the Jets pick. A lot of teams are going to gag on the idea of selecting a guard that early, even though they need one.

I know a lot of fans are going to go crazy the Jets don't select a skill position player, or a pass rusher, but IMO this draft is weak at skill position players.

Even Upshaw, and Ingram have their weakness at 16. IMO Upshaw is going to be a lot like Thomas. Not spectacular but very steady. If he's there I would take him. Ingram, who I like also, might not be a fit.

Hunter may in fact suk, he did play well in prior year. I would think Jets CS knows how many sacks were caused by Hunter and how many by MS

Sanchez was the QB then too though, so I'm not sure what would suggest it was any more Sanchez's fault than Hunter's. Hopefully it was just a bad year for the OL overall thanks in part to a lack of offseason program and the OL being pretty beat up last year, but I'm not going to bet on that being the case.

Sanchez was the QB then too though, so I'm not sure what would suggest it was any more Sanchez's fault than Hunter's. Hopefully it was just a bad year for the OL overall thanks in part to a lack of offseason program and the OL being pretty beat up last year, but I'm not going to bet on that being the case.

woody was starter until he got hurt. woody had way more experience too and could cover up any sanchez brainfart

Even Upshaw, and Ingram have their weakness at 16. IMO Upshaw is going to be a lot like Thomas. Not spectacular but very steady. If he's there I would take him. Ingram, who I like also, might not be a fit.

I agree about Decastro and I agree about both Upshaw and Ingram.

One small point people talk about Bryan Thomas, he actually had a great Jets career. if this year, the Jets pick Courtney Upshaw, and he has a career exactly like BT, that's a good first round pick. 10+ years, 7 of which as a high level starter, that's pretty darn good.

people want Demarcus Ware, I understand that. Putting an outstanding pass rusher on rex's D which usually scheme's pressure, would be the best of both worlds. But also I've spoken to Cowboys fans who say a player like Ware is a blessing as well as a curse. He gets his 20 sacks a year but the rest of the team gets no pressure. Add up the sacks at the end of the year, a Rex Ryan defense might actually get more pressure in total than a team like the Cowboys with 1 awesome pass rusher. Food for thought.

Hopefully it was just a bad year for the OL overall

to be clear the OL was bad only compared to 2009 and 2010. but it was actually pretty good compared to most OL in the league. Sanchez didn't get pressured as much as other Qbs. Eli Manning had almost 100 more pressure situations. the difference is how they responded to the pressure.

to cull it further...

that leaves 6 names:

OLB

Upshaw

Ingram

OT

Mike Adams

Cordy Glenn

OG

Decastro

DT

Brockers

What are your thoughts on Blackmon? I keep reading that he's going to run a 4.6 and be Malcolm Kelly. Scary.

I agree about Decastro and I agree about both Upshaw and Ingram.

One small point people talk about Bryan Thomas, he actually had a great Jets career. if this year, the Jets pick Courtney Upshaw, and he has a career exactly like BT, that's a good first round pick. 10+ years, 7 of which as a high level starter, that's pretty darn good.

people want Demarcus Ware, I understand that. Putting an outstanding pass rusher on rex's D which usually scheme's pressure, would be the best of both worlds. But also I've spoken to Cowboys fans who say a player like Ware is a blessing as well as a curse. He gets his 20 sacks a year but the rest of the team gets no pressure. Add up the sacks at the end of the year, a Rex Ryan defense might actually get more pressure in total than a team like the Cowboys with 1 awesome pass rusher. Food for thought.

Yep

Two of my favorite Jets players of the "modern era" are Shaun Ellis, and Thomas. People have bashed them as 1st round busts on and off for years.

Both were great picks, and if Wilkerson, and (maybe) Upshaw turn out as well I will be thrilled

Yep

Two of my favorite Jets players of the "modern era" are Shaun Ellis, and Thomas. People have bashed them as 1st round busts on and off for years.

Both were great picks, and if Wilkerson, and (maybe) Upshaw turn out as well I will be thrilled

Thomas was just a disappointment because he was supposed to be an all-star pass rusher and it just never happened. The guy was still a solid starter for quite a long time, and I wouldn't be overly shocked if the Jets even threw a vet minimum offer his way to see if he'll come back. I still have no idea what anyone's beef was with Ellis. Well at least until this past year.

I would think it's a curse that the Cowboys have whiffed on getting a guy to be a compliment to Ware.

The best of both worls is what the Steelers have going on. scheme plus more than one guy who can get after the quarterback.

Archived