Cimini: Combine Preview, On The Jets Radar

flgreen

to be clear the OL was bad only compared to 2009 and 2010. but it was actually pretty good compared to most OL in the league. Sanchez didn't get pressured as much as other Qbs. Eli Manning had almost 100 more pressure situations. the difference is how they responded to the pressure.

What constitutes the stat of "being pressured"? Someone in his face? Within one yard? Within 2 yards? Pressure in his head?

What is the constitution of that? Sounds subjective

What are your thoughts on Blackmon? I keep reading that he's going to run a 4.6 and be Malcolm Kelly. Scary.

he's a 2x winner of the biletnikoff and has such a high level of production, that his workouts don't mean _that_much. He's not a speed burner but he's probably fast enough. Larry Fitzgerald is a similar draft profile. Exceptional balance, hands and body control not necessarily something that's going to manifest itself over a 40 yard dash. if Malcolm Kelly had Blackmon's 4300 career receiving yards over 3 years he'd be a far better player.

What constitutes the stat of "being pressured"? Someone in his face? Within one yard? Within 2 yards? Pressure in his head?

What is the constitution of that? Sounds subjective

those stats are from PFF. they supposedly grade every play in every game.

http://www.profootba...1-quarterbacks/

Pressure is defined as affecting the QB in some way. Making him move, hitting him, sacking him etc. Pressure in his head probably doesn't count.

The Jets OL allowed way more pressure in 2011 than in 2010 but compared to the rest of the league, they were about average. there's this idea that Mark Sanchez is under extreme duress, that's not entirely true. He's under a fair amount of pressure but there are about 17 guys who were pressured more.

according to that website, he's actually the worst QB in the league under pressure.

he's a 2x winner of the biletnikoff and has such a high level of production, that his workouts don't mean _that_much. He's not a speed burner but he's probably fast enough. Larry Fitzgerald is a similar draft profile. Exceptional balance, hands and body control not necessarily something that's going to manifest itself over a 40 yard dash.

I think DraftDaddy should start rumors that he's Rashaun Woods Part Two so he drops to #16. Whattya say?

Yep

Two of my favorite Jets players of the "modern era" are Shaun Ellis, and Thomas. People have bashed them as 1st round busts on and off for years.

Both were great picks, and if Wilkerson, and (maybe) Upshaw turn out as well I will be thrilled

Ellis was a great pick, I've never seen anyone question that. I think the biggest complaint about the Bryan Thomas pick was, we already had John Abraham and Ellis and Ed ******* Reed was still on the board and the Jets took Bryan Thomas.

It was like Sapp all over again.

Ellis was a great pick, I've never seen anyone question that. I think the biggest complaint about the Bryan Thomas pick was, we already had John Abraham and Ellis and Ed ******* Reed was still on the board and the Jets took Bryan Thomas.

It was like Sapp all over again.

Shows what you know about how to draft good players. We needed to pass on Sapp because he was the only college football player to smoke weed. Plus Esiason couldn't reach his wideouts as effectively as when he was younger so we had to pair Mitchell with another 1st round TE to give Boomer two of them. I'm still shocked it didn't work out.

Actually Brady had a solid enough career. Not #9 in the country solid, and not pass-up-on-Warren-Sapp solid, but the guy played well into his 30s and was a 6th lineman out there. Of course with his receiving production we might as well have just lined up a 6th lineman at TE anyway.

Yeah, no. RT that high is just stupid IMO. DeCastro is interesting because he's really being touted as the next great Guard, but I still would be pissed with that pick at this point.

Pass rushers please. Upshaw, Ingram, Whitney - or I really dont give a ****.

If the value's there, yes. I wouldn't take a pass rusher for the sake of taking a pass rusher though. Otherwise 3 years from now, when 1 or more of our guards are an OL weakness, it'll be, "Can you believe we passed up on a known thing future HOF lineman for this clown [insert name of reach draft pick] to get 4.5 sacks a year? Fu*&#(*&$ Tannenbaum we need a f*$#$&* GM not a f&*(^(*&%^ accountanT!!!"

If the value's there, yes. I wouldn't take a pass rusher for the sake of taking a pass rusher though. Otherwise 3 years from now, when 1 or more of our guards are an OL weakness, it'll be, "Can you believe we passed up on a known thing future HOF lineman for this clown [insert name of reach draft pick] to get 4.5 sacks a year? Fu*&#(*&$ Tannenbaum we need a f*$#$&* GM not a f&*(^(*&%^ accountanT!!!"

IMO tanny wouldnt know want a guard is even if he tripped over John Hannah

Shows what you know about how to draft good players. We needed to pass on Sapp because he was the only college football player to smoke weed. Plus Esiason couldn't reach his wideouts as effectively as when he was younger so we had to pair Mitchell with another 1st round TE to give Boomer two of them. I'm still shocked it didn't work out.

Actually Brady had a solid enough career. Not #9 in the country solid, and not pass-up-on-Warren-Sapp solid, but the guy played well into his 30s and was a 6th lineman out there. Of course with his receiving production we might as well have just lined up a 6th lineman at TE anyway.

Sure Brady had a solid career, but he's not ******* Warren Sapp. Stop screwing up my story.

Like I said, its all subject to change but thats what I want.

IMO tanny wouldnt know want a guard is even if he tripped over John Hannah

Right. Faneca and Moore suck.

So this article... its really not about anything. No evidence that any of these players are "on the Jets" radar, especially when you consider half of them require a trade up.

Might as well be called 11 players in this year's draft by a Jets-hating Jets beat writer.

Right. Faneca and Moore suck.

Tannenbaum gave Faneca $21 million for two years' work, including paying him $5+ million to play for the Cards once he drafted Ducasse. Bradway gets credit for finding Moore, although Tannenbaum gets credit for cutting him to make room for Chris Kemoeatu. The guard position more than any other reflects Tannebaum's long-standing willingness to spend big money on lateral moves. If you're gonna make a pro-Tannenbaum argument, this isn't the hill to die on.

Tannenbaum gave Faneca $21 million for two years' work, including paying him $5+ million to play for the Cards once he drafted Ducasse. Bradway gets credit for finding Moore, although Tannenbaum gets credit for cutting him to make room for Chris Kemoeatu. The guard position more than any other reflects Tannebaum's long-standing willingness to spend big money on lateral moves. If you're gonna make a pro-Tannenbaum argument, this isn't the hill to die on.

Combining a JiF slapdown with a Tannenbaum slapdown? It's like you're speaking directly to my heart.

He said he wouldnt know a guard if it hit him in his face. I'm not sure what a contract has to do with talent evaluation with that statement. Faneca and Moore are very good guards. Slauson hasnt been awful either.

He said he wouldnt know a guard if it hit him in his face. I'm not sure what a contract has to do with talent evaluation with that statement. Faneca and Moore are very good guards. Slauson hasnt been awful either.

Faneca was a Hall of Famer that the Steelers cut, Slauson was Callahan's personal project from his days at Nebraska and Moore has been on the Jets since 2002 when Tannenbaum was pushing a pencil.

Faneca was a Hall of Famer that the Steelers cut, Slauson was Callahan's personal project from his days at Nebraska and Moore has been on the Jets since 2002 when Tannenbaum was pushing a pencil.

The fact that Faneca is a HOF G who was signed by Tanny, would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one. The fact he extended Moore would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one. I wish Callahan could have had such decision power on a guard he recruited at Nebraska by the name of Nicks.

The fact that Faneca is a HOF G who was signed by Tanny, would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one. The fact he extended Moore would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one. I wish Callahan could have had such decision power on a guard he recruited at Nebraska by the name of Nicks.

Tanny didnt draft Faneca or Moore, i'm sure Tanny can read Pro Football Weekly and see what FA guards are available, sure 95% of posters here also could do the same

Tanny didnt draft Faneca or Moore, i'm sure Tanny can read Pro Football Weekly and see what FA guards are available, sure 95% of posters here also could do the same

Oh, my bad, I didnt know there was criteria for knowing a good G when you trip over one.

The fact that Faneca is a HOF G who was signed by Tanny, would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one.

The fact that he signed a 32-year old to the richest contract in the history of offensive linemen and then attempted to replace him with Vladimir Ducasse would suggest only that he's willing to spend money on a famous guard and a high draft pick on a terrible one.

The fact he extended Moore would suggest that he does in fact know a good guard when he trips over one.

The fact that he extended Moore only after cutting him and making an unsuccessful attempt to sign Chris Kemoeatu would suggest he occasionally trips over a guard and falls onto a winning lottery ticket.

You can do what's being to Tannenbaum here to any GM in the sport.

Only big problem I have with him is paying two ILBs big money...that Gholston pick also really was a big setback too...him busting ruined the purpose of the Pace signing and secured Bryan Thomas a job for 3 seasons extra seasons. Beyond that I don't really have a problem. I'm confident there's never going to be any real cap issue, which is a big point in his favor as far as I'm concerned.

If you want...fix the scouting, but even that I'm not so up in arms about.

The fact that he extended Moore only after cutting him and making an unsuccessful attempt to sign Chris Kemoeatu would suggest he occasionally trips over a guard and falls onto a winning lottery ticket.

To be fair, didn't he save some money by cutting Moore? I'm pretty sure that Moore was due either a big year or big bonus, was cut and quickly extended with money and cap space saved - any romancing of another guard aside.

The fact that he signed a 32-year old to the richest contract in the history of offensive linemen and then attempted to replace him with Vladimir Ducasse would suggest only that he's willing to spend money on a famous guard and a high draft pick on a terrible one.

Cool....maybe I just took the comment too literal.

so far, apparently, the only combine news being reported by NFL network is Rich Eisen's time for the 40 in suit and dress shoes.

Hopefully they pick things up a bit as the week proceeds

The work outs don't begin until Saturday. There is only one group there right now, and all they are doing is getting poked, prodded, and interviewed

To be fair, didn't he save some money by cutting Moore? I'm pretty sure that Moore was due either a big year or big bonus, was cut and quickly extended with money and cap space saved - any romancing of another guard aside.

I'm not sure what a contract has to do with talent evaluation

Archived