Jets Have Less Salary Cap Space Than Any AFC East Team

JetNation

Post image for Jets Have Less Salary Cap Space Than Any AFC East Team

According to NYJetscap.com, the Jets salary cap issues appear to be worse than originally thought.  Thanks to increases in salaries via incentive bonuses as well as adjustments under the new CBA, the Jets currently have far less space than any of their AFC East rivals.  The current numbers include an $8.39 million carryover from 2011.

General Manager Mike Tannenbaum and the front office will be busy trying to make space before the start of the upcoming free agency period.

Here’s a look at the numbers:

• Jets – $517 thousand under.
  • Bills – $33.7 million under.
  • Dolphins – $11.9 million under.
  • Patriots – $20-22.9 million under.

Here are some previous thoughts on moves that the Jets can make to significantly increase their available cap room.

di
di

4E-ZhrHL-q4

View the full article

Yes the good news for this year just keeps coming. Mike T you have your work cut ot for you

Outside of it causing the potential loss of Pouha, I'm not sure this is actually the worst thing in the world. It won't allow the Jets to be overly active in FA, but outside of maybe RT I'm not sure there's any position they should really be trying to address in FA at this point anyway. This is going to force the Jets to be much more heavily reliant on building through the draft and UDFAs this offseason, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Outside of it causing the potential loss of Pouha, I'm not sure this is actually the worst thing in the world. It won't allow the Jets to be overly active in FA, but outside of maybe RT I'm not sure there's any position they should really be trying to address in FA at this point anyway. This is going to force the Jets to be much more heavily reliant on building through the draft and UDFAs this offseason, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree

If I'm Mike T I only free up enough money to field a competitive team. Don't push any more money into 13 and 14 then I absolutely have to.

It appears the Jets will have a good bit of cap space in 13. After Sanchez proves this year he is their franchise QB ( :fish:

They can reload next season

I'd expect the Jets to be making some contact with the agents present at the combine this week, planting the seeds for some restructuring to be done. The good thing is that since the cap is expected to make big jumps the next few years, pushing money into future years won't leave them in a bad spot for the future. Tanny does a good job manipulating the cap, so I'm sure some of the moves suggested by Jason of NY Jets Cap are on his radar.

The Bills almost have enough money to leave Buffalo.

And how the **** do the Pats have so much cap space?

Just a guess since I'm not going to look this up...a big chunk is probably Brady...another chunk is Wilfork...then another chunk for the OL (Light/Mankins probably get paid really well)...little bit for Welker...then there's a bunch of cheap, veteran FA types...then there's your guys on rookie deals...the last two are a big part of the roster IIRC.

When it’s all said and done I think the Jets will have like $20 million free to use. I do worry about the Patriots they freed up another $2.24 million today and I see at least another $4 million easy.

They are going to have lots of bullets to fire at FA and in the draft even with having to sign their old FA. I've been saying it, I feel like they are going to go for broke the next 2-3 seasons and try to get impact players not just pawns to move around the board. The Bills never spend and Miami is not in great shape anyway, but the Pats scare me.

time to update this "report" Max for the nearly 8 million in cap room created just from the Brick restructure. Not to mention the rest of the restructures and releases which will occur in the next few weeks to arrive at the point where the Jets have 25 million in available cap space for 2012

more February salary cap analysis --

equals more nonsense worth nothing

time to update this "report" Max for the nearly 8 million in cap room created just from the Brick restructure. Not to mention the rest of the restructures and releases which will occur in the next few weeks to arrive at the point where the Jets have 25 million in available cap space for 2012

Why don't you write to every newspaper in the country and tell them to delete all archives and articles because they're not news anymore? I'll bet you never look at weather forecasts because they change and because they will eventually be in the past.

Enough. If you don't like the subject material then don't read it. If you think you have better articles to submit then do so. But your attitude that things have changed or things will change - which IS the whole point of the article if you knew how to read - would mean no one should ever write anything on any subject because at some point things can change from their present states. Two people took a lot of time to research and write and edit something for free for us, filled with as dead-on info as can be obtained without full NFLPA site access. The way you're (again) essentially telling everyone to ignore and - if they haven't read it yet - not bother to read it is pretty damned obnoxious.

I'd like to see your reaction when someone dumps all over something you worked on for hours, for others, and for free.

Now apologize.

And how the **** do the Pats have so much cap space?

Welker's an FA, and as someone else said majority of $$ in Brady, Wilfork, Mayo and OL. A lot of their contributors are making around a million or less, which is the nice part about having guys on their rookie contracts be big time contributors (Gronk, Hernandez).

more February salary cap analysis --

equals more nonsense worth nothing

Welker's an FA, and as someone else said majority of $$ in Brady, Wilfork, Mayo and OL. A lot of their contributors are making around a million or less, which is the nice part about having guys on their rookie contracts be big time contributors (Gronk, Hernandez).

Two things, one the article is just what the numbers are right now. Very true they will change but they'll change for all the teams. This just gives everyone an idea of where the teams are at before FA. The Jets will most likely have a quiet FA period instead of jumping in feet first. I do see them having a chance to afford one high end player, not Mario Williams, but a guy like Tyvon Branch is not impossible, while still filling other needs. Guess we'll see?

Two, I wanted to make a comment about Grok and Hernandez contracts. This is the kind of thing the Jets are missing, a Pro Bowl level player under a rookie contract. It's like when Revis was a rookie, although he got good money, it was still a real bargain for the caliber of his play. Since the Jets don't draft much they miss out on this type of savings. That's why we’re all hoping for a good draft. The rookie cap makes it even more economical and when these players really produce it frees up the money to go and get others impact players in FA.

Archived