Cimini: Mike T in S Carolina------but not for Manning

flgreen

Mike T. hits the scouting trail

March, 8, 2012

Mar 8

8:18

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

On Peyton Manning's first full day as a free agent, GM Mike Tannenbaum jumped on a plane and took off for ... South Carolina?

No, Manning isn't conducting a clandestine workout in South Carolina. On Thursday morning, Tannenbaum headed there to attend Clemson's Pro Day, according to a source.

This is interesting because Tannenbaum doesn't hit a ton of Pro Days during the pre-draft process; he relies on his scouting staff. The object of his curiosity is believed to be DE Andre Branch (6-4, 260), an athletic pass rusher rated 26th on Todd McShay's list of prospects. Mel Kiper rates Branch as the third-best DE, behind Quinton Coples (North Carolina) and Melvin Ingram (South Carolina).

Branch is intriguing because some believe he has the athleticism to make the switch to a 3-4 OLB, which makes him appealing to the Jets. Branch recorded 11 sacks last season and a total of 19 in his career.

Clemson also has two other prospects hoping to sneak into the first round: DT Brandon Thompson and TE Dwayne Allen.

JonEJinx will be in here shortly to break down the eleven sure-fire Hall of Famers at Clemson's pro day today.

Just was watching Rex being interviewed in Death Valley.

Andre Branch makes sense, but I honestly think they're looking at Dwayne Allen, TE and possibly Brandon Thompson NG

Nice to see phenom Willy Korn back after such a horrible injury

Not sure if Rennie Moore or Kourtnei Brown wouldn't be an option at OLB

Enjoy http://espn.go.com/w...size/condensed/

Networking. Though "illegal" I'd say a lot of trade-talk happens at these functions where representatives of all 32 teams are present.

+1 it's all misdirection as well. If teams think he's serious on Branch (and he isn't) that's possibly advantageous.

What purpose does Mike serve at a Pro Day? Are they doing a bookkeeping drill after the 3 cone this year? Go back to your office and get us a quarterback

He is the starting gun for all events. When he stops stuttering the first word, it means "go".

Tanny is scoping out waffle houses for the next revis Holdout

LOL. Every time I pass the exit on 17 where the Roscoe Diner is, I picture that Ned Beatty post-rape-face-from-Deliverance that Tannenbaum had on after meeting Revis' agents. Truly one of the more poignant moments from Hard Knocks.

Archived