Why RB Tim Hightower gould be a good fit for the Jets

Jetsfan80

WARNING: This is another poorly written fan article. Keep that in mind.

http://thejetpress.c...-new-york-jets/

5646152-300x199.jpg

Why RB Tim Hightower gould be a good fit for the Jets

Apr 1st, 2012 at 11:18 pm by Alan Schechter

The Jets need depth at running back, that has been discussed at length. Shonn Greene needs a healthy complement, in order to be most effective. He has not show he can be a 300+ carry type of guy. The draft is coming, but in a continuing effort to find guys under the radar that would be a good fit, I have found one. If he’s healthy, that guy is Tim Hightower.

One would say, “Why Tim Hightower? He hasn’t had a lot of success, and he is coming off ACL surgery!” I agree with that to a point. He would absolutely have to get some serious medical clinics, be worked out…etc., before they could offer him a deal. To the success issue, I say, take a hard look at his stats and see the success that he has had.

Look at the ground and pound offense when it has been at it’s best with the Jets. It has been at it’s best with an active pass catcher out of the backfield. Whether it has been Thomas Jones or LaDainian Tomlinson, this has been a key outlet for Mark Sanchez to be successful.

Shonn Greene has not been that guy, with only 46 catches so far in his young career. When Tim Hightower has played a full season, which he did in his first three, he averaged 40 catches per season. 40 catches! In 2009, Hightower had more receptions(63), than Greene has recorded in his career to date(46). This is the type of weapon needed to bring the ground and pound back to life.

He also, I believe, can take the load if Shonn Greene is not running well. In his two full years as a starting running back for the Arizona Cardinals, Hightower averaged 4.5 yards per carry, compared to Shonn’s 4.2 yard average as a starter.

Before falling to his ACL injury, Tim Hightower played in 5 games in the first seven, rushing for 321 yards. Shonn Greene played in all seven games, only rushing for 105 more yards than Hightower(426). In each of their full years as a starter, Hightower in 2010, and Shonn Greene in 2011, they recorded an equal number of 100 yard performances (2).

Take a look at this guy when he was healthy:

He is coming off a major injury, no doubt about it. He would have to have complete medical clearance from the team in order to even consider this. But, I say, he is explosive, if healthy, and can make catches out of the backfield. I wouldn’t give him big money, but if they can give him a small base, with incentives and a signing bonus, I say it’s a good choice.

Cheap, and could pay dividends. Go for it and give it a shot.

I do not know about Hightower, my concerns are directly injury related, but I do think that it is wise to go after a veteran RB to complement Greene. LT was finished by the end of last year, but the one irreplaceable value he brought to the team was his ability to pick up the blitz. We have some decent young RBs which we will need to develop, but for the time being we will at least need to bring in a guy who can play on third down and block better than McKnight. Ronnie Brown makes sense if he can be had for a cheap price...

We definitely need a RB who can catch out of the backfield. McKnight can. Powell supposedly can. Greene is mediocre at best in that realm. But overall, I'm not concerned about RB. Its a plug and play position.

We're up against it in cap space as it is. Just wait and see what you need to address after the draft. Dont go spending on a FA who's coming off an injury in the easiest position to fill on the field.

I actually like Hightower...not sure I really like him here with all those injuries and such. Same for Ronnie Brown.

If our intent is to bring in another filler back to fulfill our RBBC philosophy then you could do worse than Tim Hightower. Football Outsiders had him ranked 22nd in DVOA (-1.0 %) and 25th in DYAR in 2010. He was 39th and 38th, respectively, in 2009. If he's healthy, somewhere in that range is the kind of production you can expect out of a backup RB. Not sure where he'd fall on our depth chart but he'd be worth a shot.

This is the kind of signing you make. Cheap veteran to replace LT who can produce when healthy, makes you worry a little less about being one injury away from a scary Joe McKnight/Bilal Powell/rookie RB trio, and gives you added flexibility in the draft.

The Redskins currently have no competition to bring him back so if they let him walk the Jets could probably bring him in on an incentive-laden deal.

Didint the Skins release Ryan Torain ? I would much rather have him than Tim Hightower and he will probably come cheap. This guy had some really good games a few years ago before he got hurt and lost his job to Hightower due to injury and hes younger and runs harder

We definitely need a RB who can catch out of the backfield. McKnight can. Powell supposedly can. Greene is mediocre at best in that realm. But overall, I'm not concerned about RB. Its a plug and play position.

We're up against it in cap space as it is. Just wait and see what you need to address after the draft. Dont go spending on a FA who's coming off an injury in the easiest position to fill on the field.

Agreed. And not for nothing, it's Mcnights 3rd year right? When do we find out of his roster spot is validated? I'd say it's high time for some real production out of him. I hope that's what they are thinking. Bring in a tired vet sure. It's good to hav someone that has a few good games left in them just in case, but I hope they are going to workhorse Mcnight this season. From my standpoint they gave up Leon Washington to get him and let Woodhead go to keep him. He had better start making those moves look smarter than they have already.

Agreed. And not for nothing, it's Mcnights 3rd year right? When do we find out of his roster spot is validated? I'd say it's high time for some real production out of him. I hope that's what they are thinking. Bring in a tired vet sure. It's good to hav someone that has a few good games left in them just in case, but I hope they are going to workhorse Mcnight this season. From my standpoint they gave up Leon Washington to get him and let Woodhead go to keep him. He had better start making those moves look smarter than they have already.

They never seem to use him though. He looked good the few times I can remember him playing. LT's departure should get him more looks now.

They never seem to use him though. He looked good the few times I can remember him playing. LT's departure should get him more looks now.

I hope so. I would think it necessary to panic to bring in another back and keep mcnight as the never ending question mark. It's time we see what we have there IMO

LMAO at the 2008 Tim Hightower highlight reel.

A.) That was four years ago, and B.) He averaged 2.8 yards per carry in 2008.

Tim Hightower is not a good running back. He and Shonn Greene may in fact actually be the same person.

Tim Hightower is not a good running back. He and Shonn Greene may in fact actually be the same person.

BS Hightower may in fact be the best RB out there in pass blocking and he can also can catch the effing ball. he is a very good goal line back as well

BS Hightower may in fact be the best RB out there in pass blocking and he can also can catch the effing ball. he is a very good goal line back as well

Joe McKnight can catch the ball.

Tim Hightower is a plodder coming off a knee sodomization. He doesn't add anything dynamic to the Jets offense, and with Mr. Excitement Shonn Greene as the starter, adding another three yards and cloud of dust sh*t monster isn't the recipe for success.

Great points. I forgot about those decision and they definitely were all with the thought that McKnight would be that guy. He pretty decent vs. Denver when he was the primary back. I dont think we need to sign a RB out of FA. Wait to see what the draft gives you and then make that decision after the draft. There really isnt any reason to sing a FA right now. Most teams wait and see at this point.

Meh, it was his rookie season. He also had 10 TD's and 34 receptions. Not bad. And in 2010 he had 63 receptions on 4.8 per carry. That would have been enough to lead the Jets in receiving this year if I'm not mistaken.

Not saying sign him but I think he's definitely got value.

Joe McKnight can catch the ball.

Tim Hightower is a plodder coming off a knee sodomization. He doesn't add anything dynamic to the Jets offense, and with Mr. Excitement Shonn Greene as the starter, adding another three yards and cloud of dust sh*t monster isn't the recipe for success.

i would take Hightower over greene any day of the week

Meh, it was his rookie season. He also had 10 TD's and 34 receptions. Not bad. And in 2010 he had 63 receptions on 4.8 per carry. That would have been enough to lead the Jets in receiving this year if I'm not mistaken.

Not saying sign him but I think he's definitely got value.

Coming off a torn ACL, I'm not sure he really does have that much value. It's not like he was lighting the world on fire beforehand.

I will honestly be legitimately pissed if we sign Hightower. If we were interested in bringing in a free agent running back, both Peyton Hillis and Mike Tolbert were available and affordable. Hillis was awful last year, but he's two years removed from a season in which he was an ELITE back. For one year and $3 million, he was worth a shot. Mike Tolbert is what Tim Hightower wishes he were.

Plus, won't we get a compensatory pick if Tomlinson signs elsewhere? I know it wouldn't be much, but I'd rather have the 6th or 7th rounder than Hightower.

Coming off a torn ACL, I'm not sure he really does have that much value. It's not like he was lighting the world on fire beforehand.

I will honestly be legitimately pissed if we sign Hightower. If we were interested in bringing in a free agent running back, both Peyton Hillis and Mike Tolbert were available and affordable. Hillis was awful last year, but he's two years removed from a season in which he was an ELITE back. For one year and $3 million, he was worth a shot. Mike Tolbert is what Tim Hightower wishes he were.

Plus, won't we get a compensatory pick if Tomlinson signs elsewhere? I know it wouldn't be much, but I'd rather have the 6th or 7th rounder than Hightower.

First off, I dont think we should or do sign any FA Rb's. Just sound like a waste of money to me. That said, if we did, Tolbert was the guy I wanted with Michael Bush as the 2nd option. Hillis is garbage. From all accounts I've heard out of Clev. he doesnt want play Football.

But, yeah, coming off an ACL there is too much risk.

First off, I dont think we should or do sign any FA Rb's. Just sound like a waste of money to me. That said, if we did, Tolbert was the guy I wanted with Michael Bush as the 2nd option. Hillis is garbage. From all accounts I've heard out of Clev. he doesnt want play Football.

But, yeah, coming off an ACL there is too much risk.

Hillis sucked last season. He let the gigantic internet joke of voting him onto the Madden cover go to his head and spent the entire season bitching about his contract and playing (when he did) half-heartedly. However, he was a MONSTER in 2010 and was willing to sign a one year "prove it" deal. Worth the risk based on what he showed in his first three years in the league.

I like Bush, but he really didn't handle being a starter as well as I anticipated last year. He was running on fumes the last month of the season.

I don't want a complement to Greene. I want someone that can REPLACE Greene. In free agency, that ship has sailed. Time to throw yet another mid-round pick at the position. If we throw enough sh*t at the wall, maybe something will finally stick.

Archived