RT at 16?

bitonti

what do Jon Martin, Reily Reiff, Cordy Glenn and Mike Adams have in common?

They are all instantly better than the Jets worst starter, Wayne Hunter.

a case can be made that the Jets OL used to be top 5 or even best the league, is now barely in the top 10 and it's because of Hunter.

look at the Sparano hire and the Tebow trade, it's all designed to emphasize the running game. Even Sanchez' development is tied to creating a running attack that can be used to play action against.

Not to mention the most high profile free agent signing in the league was Mario Williams, in the division to the Bills. Who wants to see Wayne Hunter vs Mario? I'd take any of those 4 over him, no questions asked.

Oh noes how will we ever get by with a barely top ten line....

Schwartz in the second >>>>>> Those guys at 16.

i really like Schwartz but to answer your question if the QB play was better they wouldn't need to improve the OL. Eli just won the Super Bowl with a left guard playing left tackle. But they don't have an Eli. This is the team they are building.

A 2nd WR for example is useless when the QBs can't read the field.

RT is our biggest weakness. We can survive without a huge pass rusher, we have two solid safeties now, WR could use an upgrade but it isn't going to kill us if we don't get early round help, but with a a solid but slow guard (Slauson), and an aging vet guard (Moore) and a absolute turnstyle tackle (Hunter) and Vlad Ducasse as your #1 backup...this team will not run well, and consequently will not be able to throw downfield, and consequently, will have no offense whatsoever. RT should be priority. 2nd or 3rd has good value. Take one there.

i really like Schwartz but to answer your question if the QB play was better they wouldn't need to improve the OL. Eli just won the Super Bowl with a left guard playing left tackle. But they don't have an Eli. This is the team they are building.

A 2nd WR for example is useless when the QBs can't read the field.

I asked a question?

Thy brought in two high end OL coaches. Vlad and somewhat Hunter aren't lacking in talent...No chance in hell they use a first on a RT. I'd rather watch them sink or swim with those two than see them embarrass themselves like that and use a first on a RT.

Not having an Eli doesn't mean use a first one a right tackle.

Have the Jets brought any of the top rated OL picks in for visits? I've seen reports of them bringing in some of the mid-round types who fit the mold, and I could certainly see them going that route, but I can't see a high investment being made at the position. I seriously doubt they'd go that direction in the first and think they'd only make the move in even the second or third if someone drops to them who they really like the value. If anything, they're probably just looking for another guy to compete with Hunter and Vlad, neither of whom the Jets seem to be yet done with.

I think paying 3 1st rounders first round $$$$$$ on the OLine is a bit much

Well given the new rookie contract structure the money isn't really the issue, but I just can't imagine them putting that kind of draft pick investment into the position. Particularly when they've got two guys they'll have fighting for the job already.

yes they brought in cordy glenn.

Well then at the very least it's something they're doing their due diligence on. Worth keeping an eye on at least. Although if I had to guess, I still wouldn't expect them to move in that direction unless they miss out on their other top targets and/or opt to move down, but you never know.

If we get Glenn or schwartz I'll be happy as ****. If we get Glenn and Schwartz I'll start beating it at the bar. Both could be a starter and improve our o from do one which will help our d. Less time on the field and less time spent in the redzone because of bad o play.

I like the thought of Massie or Schwartz in the 2nd-3rd round better.

yes it started with Oh Noes

and I do think Hunter is lacking in talent. He's a backup that was exposed as a starter.

Thats what I dont get though - he was stud in replace of Woody. Maybe some guys arent cut out for the whole season. I dunno. Still cant blame the team for thinking he could fill that role.

And I dont see us taking OL in the first unless DeCastro is there. Solid talent in the 2nd if you want to draft a RT. Massie would be my choice in the 2nd.

Thats what I dont get though - he was stud in replace of Woody. Maybe some guys arent cut out for the whole season. I dunno. Still cant blame the team for thinking he could fill that role.

it's like when a backup QB comes into a game, shreds cause the other team didn't game plan for it. a few weeks later there's tape on the guy and the league catches up. It happened to Tebow actually.

i can't blame them for the initial decision in 2011. but in 2012 it's become apparent he's not a starter. They don't even pay him starter money.

it's like when a backup QB comes into a game, shreds cause the other team didn't game plan for it. a few weeks later there's tape on the guy and the league catches up. It happened to Tebow actually.

i can't blame them for the initial decision in 2011. but in 2012 it's become apparent he's not a starter. They don't even pay him starter money.

When did it happen to Tebow? Week 19?

yes it started with Oh Noes

and I do think Hunter is lacking in talent. He's a backup that was exposed as a starter.

That wasn't a question.

I think Hunter could be serviceable if the interior is healthy and the QBs get better at protecting themselves. Don't forget Vlad either...I see zero need to o RT in the first given where they put the coaching money into...especially since half those guys listed are finesse blockers.

That wasn't a question.

I think Hunter could be serviceable if the interior is healthy and the QBs get better at protecting themselves. Don't forget Vlad either...I see zero need to o RT in the first given where they put the coaching money into...especially since half those guys listed are finesse blockers.

I think that's key. Glenn I could dig, Adams seems like a guy who will zone out a play or two a game and get his QB killed while being dominant at other points, Martin doesn't really stick out to me and he's a finesse guy, and Reiff I go back and forth on - think I like him more than Adams because he won't make those huge mistakes as often but not nearly as much as Glenn (for the Jets, anyway).

I don't think there's any reason to pidgeon hole ourselves into any one position at 16. With big needs at OLB, S, OL, and help needed at WR, RB, TE and DL, it just doesn't make sense to force a pick. Someone very good will be there at 16 at one of these positions. If there are several good options, which I think there will be, we should trade back.

I don't think there's any reason to pidgeon hole ourselves into any one position at 16. With big needs at OLB, S, OL, and help needed at WR, RB, TE and DL, it just doesn't make sense to force a pick. Someone very good will be there at 16 at one of these positions. If there are several good options, which I think there will be, we should trade back.

This was a pretty good post until the trade back part. You're saying we shouldn't pidgeon hole ourselves to a certain position, but if there are several good options at our pick why trade back? So that most if not all of those good options are gone?

This was a pretty good post until the trade back part. You're saying we shouldn't pidgeon hole ourselves to a certain position, but if there are several good options at our pick why trade back? So that most if not all of those good options are gone?

It all depends on how the board falls, but unless a guy like Trent Richardson, Melvln Ingram or David DeCastro is there at 16, I'd prefer to trade back. At pick 16, we're going to have options such as Nick Perry, Riley Reiff, Luke Kuechley, Quinton Coples, Cordy Glenn, Donte Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Fletcher Cox, Michael Floyd, Dre Kirkpatrick, Kendal Wright, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Alshon Jeffrey, Jon Martin, Andre Branch, Mike Adams etc. Some of them may be gone already, but I would feel confident that at least 15 of those 17 will be there at pick 16. I feel like at least 5 of those guys will be there at say pick 25. If I had the choice of picking say, Cordy Glenn at 16 or any of those other players at pick 22-26 with an additional 2nd/3rd rounder out of the deal, I would certainly make the trade.

It all depends on how the board falls, but unless a guy like Trent Richardson, Melvln Ingram or David DeCastro is there at 16, I'd prefer to trade back. At pick 16, we're going to have options such as Nick Perry, Riley Reiff, Luke Kuechley, Quinton Coples, Cordy Glenn, Donte Hightower, Courtney Upshaw, Fletcher Cox, Michael Floyd, Dre Kirkpatrick, Kendal Wright, Michael Brockers, Mark Barron, Alshon Jeffrey, Jon Martin, Andre Branch, Mike Adams etc. Some of them may be gone already, but I would feel confident that at least 15 of those 17 will be there at pick 16. I feel like at least 5 of those guys will be there at say pick 25. If I had the choice of picking say, Cordy Glenn at 16 or any of those other players at pick 22-26 with an additional 2nd/3rd rounder out of the deal, I would certainly make the trade.

Chances are at pick 25 only two or three of these guys are still on the board (Branch, Perry, Jeffery). None of these guys are slam dunk prospects and a slam dunk is what we need in the first. Branch got the majority of his sacks on the season in one game, Fat Al has trouble with separation, and Perry is a speed rusher and only a speed rusher (a lot like Maybin) and against faster NFL competition its hard to tell if Perry will have a lot of success in the NFL. So you're saying you'd rather have another 2nd or 3rd rounder and one of these questionable prospects in the first round, than draft a guy at 16 or higher (trade up) who can start from day one and immediately fill a need and fill it well? I'll take quality over quantity every time.

That wasn't a question.

Something else to consider is what kind of blocking scheme our new OC plans to run. Are we off the zone blocking? That may make it much easier for a rookie (or Ducasse) to step in and contribute. It also might mean that some of our guys are less effective. We'll see. Considering all the credit given to Callahan around here, I expect that his style isn't the same as everybody else.

Chances are at pick 25 only two or three of these guys are still on the board (Branch, Perry, Jeffery). None of these guys are slam dunk prospects and a slam dunk is what we need in the first. Branch got the majority of his sacks on the season in one game, Fat Al has trouble with separation, and Perry is a speed rusher and only a speed rusher (a lot like Maybin) and against faster NFL competition its hard to tell if Perry will have a lot of success in the NFL. So you're saying you'd rather have another 2nd or 3rd rounder and one of these questionable prospects in the first round, than draft a guy at 16 or higher (trade up) who can start from day one and immediately fill a need and fill it well? I'll take quality over quantity every time.

So who is the slam dunk pick at 16 other than the top 3 that I already listed-- Decastro, Ingram and Richardson? I feel like all of those other guys are in the same value range, so why not trade back? Maybe you have a few of those prospects ranked much higher than others, but I don't see much difference in value between Mark Barron, Nick Perry, Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, Fletcher Cox, Donte Hightower etc. Why not move back and add more picks? By the way, Nick Perry does not compare to Aaron Maybin in the slightest. He outweighs the guy by about 30 lbs, and has a lot more power than Maybin-- Maybin is probably the last DE/OLB I would use to compare to Nick Perry.

Something else to consider is what kind of blocking scheme our new OC plans to run. Are we off the zone blocking? That may make it much easier for a rookie (or Ducasse) to step in and contribute. It also might mean that some of our guys are less effective. We'll see. Considering all the credit given to Callahan around here, I expect that his style isn't the same as everybody else.

The rumor has it the Jets are moving back to a man blocking scheme and that allegedly has something to do with the Jets supposed optimism about making due with one of Hunter/Ducasse. I think that while going OT in the mid rounds is a distinct possibility, if the rumors are true it could certainly decrease the odds even further of them going OL in the first.

The rumor has it the Jets are moving back to a man blocking scheme and that allegedly has something to do with the Jets supposed optimism about making due with one of Hunter/Ducasse. I think that while going OT in the mid rounds is a distinct possibility, if the rumors are true it could certainly decrease the odds even further of them going OL in the first.

I predicted a 2nd rd OL pick but there is part of me that does think the Jets are going to stay put with what they have in terms of OL. Unless, DeCastro falls to us. Dont see how you can pass on that...

I predicted a 2nd rd OL pick but there is part of me that does think the Jets are going to stay put with what they have in terms of OL. Unless, DeCastro falls to us. Dont see how you can pass on that...

If he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets start making some calls about moving down. I just don't think OG is a position they value highly enough to spend that kind of pick on it, particularly if they think they can get something in return and still get whoever else is left on the board that they like. Besides, I think they're happy with Slauson and have Schlauderaff ready to go as Moore's heir apparent. With how much money they're pissing away throughout the team, I think they're more than happy with the cheap, solid contributor types at G. I'm going back and forth on where I think the Jets will go RT, because I think there's a chance you're right that they give this group another shot this year with a full offseason and a new coaching staff, but I would be surprised to see the Jets make a move on any interior linemen before day three.

Archived