Draft's hottest prospect!

Jetscode1

The whole trade up scenario for Ingram is a smokescreen...Jets want Barron. Watch it happen. To spin it from Casserly's words...Who will make the most Pro Bowls and who do we want to take to Foxborough and plays the Pats?

In speaking with teams these days about where particular players could be selected in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, I'm continually asked one particular question: Will Alabama safety Mark Barron be available when it is our turn to pick?

The message here is crystal clear: A lot of teams are very interested in selecting Barron high in Round 1. Why is there all this interest? To put it simply, Barron is one of the best players in this draft.

Most people feel that six prospects are "a cut above" the rest in this class: QB Andrew Luck, QB Robert Griffin III, OT Matt Kalil, RB Trent Richardson, CB Morris Claiborne and WR Justin Blackmon. My next-rated player is Barron.

Back in my executive days with the Washington Redskins, when there was a tie between two players on our draft board, I always asked two questions:

1) Who will make the most Pro Bowls?

2) Who do you want to take to the Meadowlands to play the Giants?

These two questions always helped break a tie.

I've studied five games of Barron in action, and he's the player who would receive the most positive answers from those two questions. Barron is 6-foot-1, 213 pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in the 4.5's. He is very smart; Nick Saban runs a complex defense at Alabama and Barron had no problem understanding it. He should be able to be the defensive signal caller for his NFL team. He is very athletic and has the ability to play man coverage versus tight ends, which is not common in a safety. He is also exceptional when playing zone defense. Barron has excellent instincts to break on the ball and the speed to cover a lot of ground. As a physical player and fine tackler, he often played linebacker in Alabama's nickel defense. When I evaluate Barron as a safety, I do not see anything he can't do. To me, he's a very safe pick.

So, how high do you take a safety? That depends on how important the position is to your defense. If it is important, then Barron qualifies as a top-10 pick in this year's draft.

Here is how I rate Barron against some highly regarded safeties taken in the top 15 of recent drafts when they were coming out of college ...

Rated higher than Barron:

Eric Berry, 2010 draft, fifth pick (Kansas City): Better cover skills, could cover some receivers.

Rated lower than Barron:

Earl Thomas, 2010 draft, 14th pick (Seattle): Not as good a tackler.

LaRon Landry, 2007 draft, sixth pick (Washington): Not as stout in man-to-man coverage.

Michael Huff, 2006 draft, seventh pick (Oakland): Not as physical.

Donte Whitner, 2006 draft, eighth pick (Buffalo): Barron rates better in all phases of the game.

Sean Taylor 2004 draft, fifth pick (Washington): Not as smooth in the hips, could not cover as well.

In scouting for the draft, you compare prospects to previous players taken in a round to decide what value to put on them. This is how I arrive at my thinking: Mark Barron is worth a top-10 pick.

Follow Charley Casserly on Twitter @CharleyCasserly

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82867c8c/article/drafts-hottest-prospect-mark-barrons-worth-a-top10-pick?module=HP11_hot_topics

You know, nobody wins Super Bowls without having good safety play. The Giants with Rolle and Phillips, the Steelers with Clark and Polamalu, the Colts with Bob Sanders, Packers with Nick Collins, Saints with Sharper and Harper. Even the Pats haven't won since Rodney Harrison retired.

You know, nobody wins Super Bowls without having good safety play. The Giants with Rolle and Phillips, the Steelers with Clark and Polamalu, the Colts with Bob Sanders, Packers with Nick Collins, Saints with Sharper and Harper. Even the Pats haven't won since Rodney Harrison retired.

It's an undervalued position, certainly. I'd be extremely happy if we took Barron.

it's a great article and Barron is a great prospect. I question how he stacks up to the all time greats (or next year's class even) but here on the Jets board, the evaluation of Barron is not the only relevant argument, in the question of would the Jets pick (trade up?) for this player.

So, how high do you take a safety? That depends on how important the position is to your defense. If it is important, then Barron qualifies as a top-10 pick in this year's draft.

would Rex Ryan pound the table for a safety? how much money does this franchise spend on Safeties?

barron gets knocked for playing on one of the best defenses of all time... like he's the matt leinhart of safeties... he's gona be a good player and i think he should be the pick...

really.. look at how many pass rushers are taken every year and look at how many turn into jpp or von miller...

there are a bunch of good rushers that can be had later in the draft.. not that many good safeties

It's an undervalued position, certainly. I'd be extremely happy if we took Barron.

I'd be pretty happy too. Just wondering if it requires trading up, if he's worth it. In general, I'll take Rex's stamp of approval on a defensive player any day of the week, so that part I'm not concerned about...just wondering what it would cost and where they think they'd need to move in order to draft him?

The whole trade up scenario for Ingram is a smokescreen...Jets want Barron. Watch it happen. To spin it from Casserly's words...Who will make the most Pro Bowls and who do we want to take to Foxborough and plays the Pats?

I'll take a pass rusher over a safety against the Pats. While the TEs are a problem, Brady looks very pedestrian when he gets hit and the only way you really beat him is if you put him on the ground.

I'll take a pass rusher over a safety against the Pats. While the TEs are a problem, Brady looks very pedestrian when he gets hit and the only way you really beat him is if you put him on the ground.

I'd agree if Coples or Ingram were higher rated prospects or at least equal...just not sure either compares to Von Miller or Aldon Smith.

You're god damned right it SHOULD be Barron. Guy is going to be a greeeeaaaaat pro.

Not saying he's better than Taylor, BUT Taylor wasn't flawless as a player. We always remember the absolute best about the dead, but a lot of people were calling Taylor overrated after the year the Redskins asked him to play more coverage, specifically man.

I'd agree if Coples or Ingram were higher rated prospects or at least equal...just not sure either compares to Von Miller or Aldon Smith.

I can see where you're coming from, I feel like pass rushers this year are weak. At the very least one of them will be productive in the NFL and the Jets need to find out which one thats going to be and draft him

It's so close. I can't imagine that Rex will pick anything other than the best possible DL/OLB prospect that drops to 16: Poe, Ingram, Coples, Upshaw. That defensive front seven (and Revis) is thd key to everything he does.

It's so close. I can't imagine that Rex will pick anything other than the best possible DL/OLB prospect that drops to 16: Poe, Ingram, Coples, Upshaw. That defensive front seven (and Revis) is thd key to everything he does.

I can't see a defensive lineman either. It has to be a linebacker or something. They took Ellis and Wilkerson last draft and just re-signed Pouha. DL wouldn't make sense would it? The offense needs help on the line and the WR corps.

I can't see a defensive lineman either. It has to be a linebacker or something. They took Ellis and Wilkerson last draft and just re-signed Pouha. DL wouldn't make sense would it? The offense needs help on the line and the WR corps.

My gut tells me the 1st round will be an offensive player. Unless someone like coples or ingram falls to 16 the pick will be a WR or OL

My gut tells me the 1st round will be an offensive player. Unless someone like coples or ingram falls to 16 the pick will be a WR or OL

My gut tells me exactly the opposite. I'm buying the Hunter/Ducasse RT thing (yikes), and the Braylon thing, and expecting them to add defense in each of the first two rounds - one OLB and one ILB. Scott, Pace, Thomas will all have to be replaced in the next 12 months.

My gut tells me exactly the opposite. I'm buying the Hunter/Ducasse RT thing (yikes), and the Braylon thing, and expecting them to add defense in each of the first two rounds - one OLB and one ILB. Scott, Pace, Thomas will all have to be replaced in the next 12 months.

Really? Defense in the first two rounds? Assuming we stay at 16, I think we draft a defensive guy in the first without a doubt unless Richardson or Floyd falls to us. After that pick I think they go RT or WR with WR being the more likely pick just judging by the guys they've brought in (Jeffrey, Sanu, Randle, Hill). I buy the Hunter/Ducasse battle too unfortunately and I think we'll still bring Braylon back either way. I think Scott's replacement comes in the first round of next year's draft.

Really? Defense in the first two rounds? Assuming we stay at 16, I think we draft a defensive guy in the first without a doubt unless Richardson or Floyd falls to us. After that pick I think they go RT or WR with WR being the more likely pick just judging by the guys they've brought in (Jeffrey, Sanu, Randle, Hill). I buy the Hunter/Ducasse battle too unfortunately and I think we'll still bring Braylon back either way. I think Scott's replacement comes in the first round of next year's draft.

If you believe that the Jets will go with one or both of Hunter/Ducasse at RT then they aren't drafting one in the second round. I can see them drafting a WR in the second round - but only if the exact right one falls to them. If they sign Braylon then WR is no more of a priority than ILB. Next season is absolutely Scott's last one as a Jet.

If you believe that the Jets will go with one or both of Hunter/Ducasse at RT then they aren't drafting one in the second round. I can see them drafting a WR in the second round - but only if the exact right one falls to them. If they sign Braylon then WR is no more of a priority than ILB. Next season is absolutely Scott's last one as a Jet.

Thats assuming the Jets are really content with hunter/ducasse at RT and I don't know if they are or not so I could see them going after either RT or WR in the 2nd. But since I do buy the whole hunter situation, like I said earlier, the pick should be a WR. As far as Braylon goes I believe he's coming off of a major knee injury? I mean what if Braylon goes down early? We're stuck with turner At the #2? I think it's essential that the Jets get a young WR that Sanchez can build some chemistry with and end this revolving door at an important position to Sanchez's progression. I do agree this is Scott's last year as a Jet and theyll draft his replacement in the first round of next year's draft.

Archived