Jets pulled out of draft day deal with steelers

aec4

Nfln reported jets targets Irvin or coples and had a deal worked out to trade down with steelers. Steelers were going to take Stanford guard. Jets backed out when Irvin taken. Don't know particulars.

Saw on twitter from Jason la contora or whatever his name is

Reporters must be so bored waiting for rex to make another SB guarantee or have another sex video involving a Jet leaked because between this and florio's piece of garbage article about Rex making so called bounties on players these reporters are just dying for headlines. They are really grasping at straws here.

I'm guessing the Jets had expected Coples to be gone by 16, and Irvin to be someone they could get at 24. Jets probably had a verbal on trading back from 16 that they would have pulled the trigger on if Irvin was there at 16, move back 8 spots get mid-rounders and their target.

Probably why a Jets official called the Seahawks and razzed them for blowing up their plans.

I'm sure all this happened, from a planning for different scenarios standpoint. I'd hardly call it or spin it as the controversy that these hackneyed sports news outlets insist on selling it as, but it happens. To every team. Every year. This stuff happens. Its called strategy.

the steelers hate us...remember when we stole revis away from them? lol

Totally. Remember when the Steelers did better than us in every other draft ever... and lead the league in SB victories? lol @ them

Totally. Remember when the Steelers did better than us in every other draft ever... and lead the league in SB victories? lol @ them

Kepp you're damn SB's Stoolers... We's got Mevis, the only player in history to holdout 3 times before his 5th season.

I'm guessing the Jets had expected Coples to be gone by 16, and Irvin to be someone they could get at 24. Jets probably had a verbal on trading back from 16 that they would have pulled the trigger on if Irvin was there at 16, move back 8 spots get mid-rounders and their target.

Probably why a Jets official called the Seahawks and razzed them for blowing up their plans.

I'm sure all this happened, from a planning for different scenarios standpoint. I'd hardly call it or spin it as the controversy that these hackneyed sports news outlets insist on selling it as, but it happens. To every team. Every year. This stuff happens. Its called strategy.

This is actually the most logical take. I wonder how much of the time they used for the selection was spent on the phone with the Steelers... ?

If the report is true, the Jets actually did the Steelers a favor. They got their guy without giving up any extra picks.

when are you getting together with your boyfriend Ben?

when are you getting together with your boyfriend Ben?

It got a little funnier the second time.

No it didn't, I'm lying. I guess openly acknowledging football history makes me a Steelers fan. Wish I had known, the past 25 years of actively rooting for a football team would have been much more fun.

This is actually the most logical take. I wonder how much of the time they used for the selection was spent on the phone with the Steelers... ?

If the report is true, the Jets actually did the Steelers a favor. They got their guy without giving up any extra picks.

Slats just said I'm logical. The end is nigh...

Nfln reported jets targets Irvin or coples and had a deal worked out to trade down with steelers. Steelers were going to take Stanford guard. Jets backed out when Irvin taken. Don't know particulars.

Saw on twitter from Jason la contora or whatever his name is

WHAT???? Im appalled! :-)

I believe it though. If im correct the Jets were the first team to take the draft time all the way down to the wire. They were trying to move and didnt expect the Seahawk pick and was in limbo for 10 mins.

It makes sense. If two guys the Jets liked were still there then moving down and expecting one of them to still be there makes sense. Much less so if they had Coples rated much higher than anyone else (once Irwin was gone). I believe the Jets got one of the two guys they really wanted. Unlike - i think - the Rams and Bucs.

So if we made this deal we would have lost out on both Coples, Irvin, and drafted.......Stephen Hill at 24? Not too far-fetched considering I believe we had a 1st-round grade on him.

I'm glad the draft played out the way it did for us.

So if we made this deal we would have lost out on both Coples, Irvin, and drafted.......Stephen Hill at 24? Not too far-fetched considering I believe we had a 1st-round grade on him.

I'm glad the draft played out the way it did for us.

DeCastro? Either way, +1.

The thing I find so funny is while attempting to try to paint this as a negative (which is ridiculous as others have already pointed out) the media just completely destroyed their own prior negative story that the Jets supposedly didn't really want Coples and were desperately trying to trade down. If anything, this proves exactly the opposite, that they very well could have traded down, but weren't willing to lose out on Coples to do it. Sure sounds like they valued the guy pretty damn highly. I'm glad to hear it.

The thing I find so funny is while attempting to try to paint this as a negative (which is ridiculous as others have already pointed out) the media just completely destroyed their own prior negative story that the Jets supposedly didn't really want Coples and were desperately trying to trade down. If anything, this proves exactly the opposite, that they very well could have traded down, but weren't willing to lose out on Coples to do it. Sure sounds like they valued the guy pretty damn highly. I'm glad to hear it.

Yeah, and I find it hard to believe the Jets couldn't have found a trade partner if they really wanted to trade down. Melvin Ingram was sitting there, as was, apparently, a player the Steelers wanted to trade up for (DeCastro). There's just not much of a chance the Jets were sitting there panicking at 16 because they didn't get Irvin like we were led to believe.

It got a little funnier the second time.

No it didn't, I'm lying. I guess openly acknowledging football history makes me a Steelers fan. Wish I had known, the past 25 years of actively rooting for a football team would have been much more fun.

Woooa hold on homer, you and all your facts......actually i have no idea why they posted twice, Jetnation admins probably liked the joke so much it wasn't enough for just one post...but basically yeah you love ben R.

Archived