The Brooklyn Nets

Jetsfan80

According to reports, Net sources say that DWill is leaning toward re-signing with the team.

Then again, according to reports Jay Z and Billy King were doing TD dances after they met with LeBron.

lol I remember those Lebron reports. The Nets made it sound like he was ready to defect to Stalingrad.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realize that Derrick Favors turning out to be Dwight Howard will be the final push it'll take for me to go buy a sniper rifle and start my own lil' revolution.

Even worse, a Dwight Howard that actually has fluid moves in the low post. I can't wait to watch the videos of Hakeem working with Favors in a couple of years and then using what he learned to toast Brook Shields Lopez with the Dream Shake.

The Nets are a mess because their front office knows that the owner knows nothing about basketball and are fearful of getting fired for not doing something. They tried hard for Melo and when he said no they should have gone to plan B which was to stay awful and develop with top 5 picks. Instead they were left with such egg on their faces after the Lebron fiasco, putting up the ridiculous billboard in New York and getting stuck with the third pick in that draft that they made a bad trade for Deron Williams. Williams is a great talent but he didnt exactly want to come play in NJ and, JMO, but he hasnt played through alot of injuries he would have had he either been on a playoff contender or had he signed an extension. You cant blame a guy getting ready to cash in for keeping himself in the best condition possible but the Nets brass cater to him so badly because they know if he signs with Dallas they are all getting fired. The Wallace trade was just atrocious. Downside of a career guy that would be a decent fit on a good team needing a piece to make a run. the only run the Nets were making was for the top 5 pick. Again they were all upset that they didnt get a player, came out looking like fools, so they got the best possible player on the market, who wasnt very good. That move would be the same as the Jets trading a 2nd round pick for LaDainian Tomlinson rather than just signing him as a free agent for pennies in 2010. The Nets also should have realized how fruity Howard is and realized that by seasons end he would still want a trade even after doing his dopey opt in. They may have been able to turn that pick into some package for Howard.

That said I think its 60/40 Williams stays. I think he likes the fact that the team treats him like Jordan and it sounds like these guys all like the new arena. But since Ratner took over the franchise a few years back its just been depressing. They were a fun team to watch but there was no interest in the basketball end from him. While Kenyon Martin never should have been paid at the level he received, the way they just started dumping guys for money was ridiculous. They traded for Vince which was fine and he played well enough but he didnt fit with the run style they played. Best option and only made because the owner realized Brooklyn was years away and he was going to have nobody at the games. Once they shipped Kidd off there has been no attempt to get better and this owner has zero patience and he isnt going to learn the game either, IMO, since this ranks so low on his list of priorities. I think its going to be a tough few years for the Nets. Maybe they bring Kidd back and do the all ancient past the prime team out there like when they got the Rick Mahorn whose training regimen seemed to consist of eating alot of cookies by the time he was a Net.

Well said, Jason. The owner is a big problem and his mandates have forced the FO to be jumpy which has led to mistakes.

I think the reasons you stated is why DWill will re-sign. He can't think BKN is the best chance to win, that's with Dallas. If he stays its because the team worships him, its NYC market, and a great new arena.

Williams seems to like the area and the treatment from the Nets - I think he resigns with the Nets. Lopez getting hurt put the franchise back- I thought they might have been able to do a deal with Orlando before that happened.

Even worse, a Dwight Howard that actually has fluid moves in the low post. I can't wait to watch the videos of Hakeem working with Favors in a couple of years and then using what he learned to toast Brook Shields Lopez with the Dream Shake.

Your cruelty knows no bounds, good sir.

The Nets are a mess because their front office knows that the owner knows nothing about basketball and are fearful of getting fired for not doing something. They tried hard for Melo and when he said no they should have gone to plan B which was to stay awful and develop with top 5 picks. Instead they were left with such egg on their faces after the Lebron fiasco, putting up the ridiculous billboard in New York and getting stuck with the third pick in that draft that they made a bad trade for Deron Williams. Williams is a great talent but he didnt exactly want to come play in NJ and, JMO, but he hasnt played through alot of injuries he would have had he either been on a playoff contender or had he signed an extension. You cant blame a guy getting ready to cash in for keeping himself in the best condition possible but the Nets brass cater to him so badly because they know if he signs with Dallas they are all getting fired. The Wallace trade was just atrocious. Downside of a career guy that would be a decent fit on a good team needing a piece to make a run. the only run the Nets were making was for the top 5 pick. Again they were all upset that they didnt get a player, came out looking like fools, so they got the best possible player on the market, who wasnt very good. That move would be the same as the Jets trading a 2nd round pick for LaDainian Tomlinson rather than just signing him as a free agent for pennies in 2010. The Nets also should have realized how fruity Howard is and realized that by seasons end he would still want a trade even after doing his dopey opt in. They may have been able to turn that pick into some package for Howard.

That said I think its 60/40 Williams stays. I think he likes the fact that the team treats him like Jordan and it sounds like these guys all like the new arena. But since Ratner took over the franchise a few years back its just been depressing. They were a fun team to watch but there was no interest in the basketball end from him. While Kenyon Martin never should have been paid at the level he received, the way they just started dumping guys for money was ridiculous. They traded for Vince which was fine and he played well enough but he didnt fit with the run style they played. Best option and only made because the owner realized Brooklyn was years away and he was going to have nobody at the games. Once they shipped Kidd off there has been no attempt to get better and this owner has zero patience and he isnt going to learn the game either, IMO, since this ranks so low on his list of priorities. I think its going to be a tough few years for the Nets. Maybe they bring Kidd back and do the all ancient past the prime team out there like when they got the Rick Mahorn whose training regimen seemed to consist of eating alot of cookies by the time he was a Net.

Fair, but I prefer to attribute the mess of the last few seasons to the team just waiting around to move to Brooklyn. No one wanted to play in Newark and no one wanted to go to watch games in Newark. Jay-Z himself basically said as much during their whole mini-push for Lebron. I think (hope) the team will be an easier sell in Brooklyn.

What will be interesting to watch is how Prokhorov responds if DWill goes to Dallas. The smart move will be to do nothing, let the team suck hard for the next two seasons, and hope to land an elite player or two in the draft. I don't think this was the draft to get any of those guys, so the Wallace thing isn't as grievous as it might have been most years, IMO. What will suck is if Prokhorov/King decide that they can't possibly go into a new arena without a marquee player, and go crazy overpaying for some overaged check-cashers in hopes of selling a few extra tickets.

Best case scenario, obviously, is DWill signs with the promise that they'll go pay Dwight Howard on July 1st, 2013 at 12:00.01 a.m. The East basically belongs to the Heat next year, anyway.

Holy God. :biggrin:

To be fair, I told him he can pick his own teams with the caveat that there's a blacklist of up to 5 teams per sport from which he is prohibited to root for while living under my roof.

He told me a couple of weeks ago that he likes the Yankees and I told him to either reconsider or start packing. Raising a grade schooler is hard work.

Rumor making its way around the web (fwiw) is that Dallas kindasorta thinks DWill won't leave Brooklyn and have shifted their focus to giving Nash a two-year deal. What the hell did King promise DWill?

He tweeted him this picture to show how committed the organization is in bringing in top-end talent via free agency:

ny_ap_newnets1_576.jpg

The Nets had to get out of jersey -that was a win for them no matter what. The lure of a brand new building will put some more people in the seats but that works only for awhile-you have to start winning

Rumor making its way around the web (fwiw) is that Dallas kindasorta thinks DWill won't leave Brooklyn and have shifted their focus to giving Nash a two-year deal. What the hell did King promise DWill?

The same deal they have now- when they stink and Deron doesnt feel like playing he doesnt have to play, name and pictures all over the arena and every marketing tool, an unofficial name change to D-Wills Nets..... Seriously they treat him like he is the best player in the NBA they are so desperate to keep him.

The same deal they have now- when they stink and Deron doesnt feel like playing he doesnt have to play, name and pictures all over the arena and every marketing tool, an unofficial name change to D-Wills Nets..... Seriously they treat him like he is the best player in the NBA they are so desperate to keep him.

Likely. It'd be funny if Kidd signs with the Nets, too (it's alleged he wants to follow Deron). Maybe Kidd can tell him all about the good ol'd days when he took de-facto control of the Nets and almost destroyed them by forcing management to break the bank for Alonzo Mourning and Rodney Rogers, and then fire Byron Scott to elevate Kidd's personal caddie Lawrence Frank.

Likely. It'd be funny if Kidd signs with the Nets, too (it's alleged he wants to follow Deron). Maybe Kidd can tell him all about the good ol'd days when he took de-facto control of the Nets and almost destroyed them by forcing management to break the bank for Alonzo Mourning and Rodney Rogers, and then fire Byron Scott to elevate Kidd's personal caddie Lawrence Frank.

Ah the good old days. The placate Kidd moves were always fun. He wanted Van Horn gone because he had a bad finals against the Lakers when the real solution was to just bring Van Horn in off the bench and start Jefferson, but Kidds solution was Rodney Rogers. He begged for a center so they brought in Dikembe who just slowed the team to a crawl and played zero role other than being a pain for Duncan in the finals. The problem was they couldnt score with him in the game because he spent more time wagging fingers and collecting rebounds than passing or getting out of the way to let the fast guys board the ball. That led to Frank and Zo. I think the relationship really began to sour when they wouldnt pull the trigger on the Abdur-Rahim trade, which was correct since his knee ended up being shot and as they said he would be gone from the league in a few years (I think he lasted 2 pretty ineffective years). They brought in his buddy Cliff Robinson to make him happy and that was the year Kristic started to look like a big player so Kidd didnt demand the trade, but once Kristic got hurt, Cliffy was gone, and they were slowing down into more half court for Carter Kidd was done. Next thing you know he is making up storied about migranes to miss games. Fun times. Still my favorite Net though.

Too bad the Lakers wouldnt budge on Bynum because that would have been a far better trade than the one they got even with Bynum getting hurt all the time.

Ah the good old days. The placate Kidd moves were always fun. He wanted Van Horn gone because he had a bad finals against the Lakers when the real solution was to just bring Van Horn in off the bench and start Jefferson, but Kidds solution was Rodney Rogers. He begged for a center so they brought in Dikembe who just slowed the team to a crawl and played zero role other than being a pain for Duncan in the finals. The problem was they couldnt score with him in the game because he spent more time wagging fingers and collecting rebounds than passing or getting out of the way to let the fast guys board the ball. That led to Frank and Zo. I think the relationship really began to sour when they wouldnt pull the trigger on the Abdur-Rahim trade, which was correct since his knee ended up being shot and as they said he would be gone from the league in a few years (I think he lasted 2 pretty ineffective years). They brought in his buddy Cliff Robinson to make him happy and that was the year Kristic started to look like a big player so Kidd didnt demand the trade, but once Kristic got hurt, Cliffy was gone, and they were slowing down into more half court for Carter Kidd was done. Next thing you know he is making up storied about migranes to miss games. Fun times. Still my favorite Net though.

Too bad the Lakers wouldnt budge on Bynum because that would have been a far better trade than the one they got even with Bynum getting hurt all the time.

Jesus, that's some great memory. Kidd was great to watch in the uniform and it sucked to watch the window close on him, even if he's the one who forced it closed. You wonder if he learned to not meddle too much with the front office and can impart that to Deron. Probably not, but it's a hope. Kidd and DWill are in the Hamptons playing golf right now and are supposedly selling themselves as a package deal, which would be a major coup for Brooklyn, even if they are selling their soul to reel them in.

So Dwight Howard wants the Nets. The troll.

The Magic can't accept Lopez on a sign-and-trade, and the Nets would be nuts to promise every non-consecutive future pick they have in the next decade to get a Howard deal done. If Howard wants Brooklyn so bad, they should tell him to wait a year and hope that DWill doesn't kill Avery Johnson in the meantime.

The Magic can't accept Lopez on a sign-and-trade, and the Nets would be nuts to promise every non-consecutive future pick they have in the next decade to get a Howard deal done. If Howard wants Brooklyn so bad, they should tell him to wait a year and hope that DWill doesn't kill Avery Johnson in the meantime.

the Howard stuff is comical. Now he is claiming he was blackmailed into signing his contract and legally should be let out so he can pursue his career with the Nets. Hes an idiot and once his legs go hes going to suck so bad since he has learned nothing about playing offense in the NBA. Ill still be cheering for him to do well, when and if he does come to the team, but what he has done in Orlando is whats wrong with sports sometimes. Its far worse than James. Its just not as public.

The stories breaking around the Nets last night made me realize the team wont see a draft pick for the next 10 years as they chase a non-existent chance to win. The latest is that the team is going to sign Wallace for $40 million over 4, trade for Joe Johnson, sign Deron and Kidd, and then just wait and see if they can get Howard now or next year. I just dont get it. Wallace is 30 years old and his numbers have declined for the last 5 years. Hes an average player that will be below average in another year or two. Johnson is 31, declining and probably one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Hes got grade A money the next 4 years to boot. If that falls through they will apparently overpay for OJ Mayo. Thats a better idea since he is younger and maybe has some upside, but most likely hell just get into a fight with guys on the team and sulk. Even Kidd makes little sense. I get the nostalgia value of bringing in guys like him or Martin if they were still playingout the string in Jersey, but there really is no need in Brooklyn. Inmates running the asylum....

the Howard stuff is comical. Now he is claiming he was blackmailed into signing his contract and legally should be let out so he can pursue his career with the Nets. Hes an idiot and once his legs go hes going to suck so bad since he has learned nothing about playing offense in the NBA. Ill still be cheering for him to do well, when and if he does come to the team, but what he has done in Orlando is whats wrong with sports sometimes. Its far worse than James. Its just not as public.

I remember Howard saying a while ago that Stan Van Gundy was too negative, which was echoed wholeheartedly by Shaq. I'd like to attribute Dwight's nervous breakdown to the combination of Stan Van burning bridges, and (if Jeff Van Gundy is to be believed) toxic bungling in the upper levels of management. It doesn't excuse Dwight acting like a nine year old, but maybe the change of scenery (to Brooklyn, Houston, wherever) will get his juvenile head straight. He just seems like an immature goofball, IMO, and not the subversive primadonna that he's being portrayed as. And, yes, I'm just leaning positive because he might be a Net soon.

The stories breaking around the Nets last night made me realize the team wont see a draft pick for the next 10 years as they chase a non-existent chance to win. The latest is that the team is going to sign Wallace for $40 million over 4, trade for Joe Johnson, sign Deron and Kidd, and then just wait and see if they can get Howard now or next year. I just dont get it. Wallace is 30 years old and his numbers have declined for the last 5 years. Hes an average player that will be below average in another year or two. Johnson is 31, declining and probably one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Hes got grade A money the next 4 years to boot. If that falls through they will apparently overpay for OJ Mayo. Thats a better idea since he is younger and maybe has some upside, but most likely hell just get into a fight with guys on the team and sulk. Even Kidd makes little sense. I get the nostalgia value of bringing in guys like him or Martin if they were still playingout the string in Jersey, but there really is no need in Brooklyn. Inmates running the asylum....

Sounds like the Wallace thing is a done deal, which, at $10m per, is mind-boggling. I'd have to assume his signing was one of Deron's demands. If Joe Johnson is dealt here, especially for anything significant, I'm going to bang my face against the wall. Ditto Mayo. I'd rather see them go throw $6 mil at Jason Terry or some such. Regardless, they need to resolve the Howard pursuit ASAP. If they're making these moves counting on Dwight to not flake out on them before getting to Brooklyn, they need their heads examined.

I just read the particulars of the proposed Joe Johnson trade. The Nets basically give up every penny of cap space they'll ever have in order to pay Johnson $22m+ per, on top of losing Marshon Brooks in the deal. Horrible.

The Nets should just hire a fan to be GM to make things more fun for all. I mean what is the purpose of a GM when the whole show is run by a star player? Can you imagine this cluster of a lineup:

PG Deron Williams/Jason Kidd/Tyshawn Taylor

SG Joe Johnson/Anthony Morrow

SF Gerald Wallace/Gerald Green

PF Mirza Teletovic

C Brook Lopez

I just read the particulars of the proposed Joe Johnson trade. The Nets basically give up every penny of cap space they'll ever have in order to pay Johnson $22m+ per, on top of losing Marshon Brooks in the deal. Horrible.

Johnson has like $100 million left on that deal too. Worst trade ever if this sh*t happens. That Wallace contract is Isiah-esque.

The Nets should just hire a fan to be GM to make things more fun for all. I mean what is the purpose of a GM when the whole show is run by a star player? Can you imagine this cluster of a lineup:

PG Deron Williams/Jason Kidd/Tyshawn Taylor

SG Joe Johnson/Anthony Morrow

SF Gerald Wallace/Gerald Green

PF Mirza Teletovic

C Brook Lopez

I think they lose Morrow in the Johnson trade lol.

I'm choosing to believe that the proposed trade is being discussed solely to put pressure on Orlando to make a decision on Dwight. Nobody's giving them a huge package for a one-year rental, so Orlando can either trade him to the Nets for Lopez and a bunch of expirings, or they can have a disgruntled Howard on the roster for a year before losing him for nothing. I created this in my mind. Naturally, the Nets will handcuff themselves to Joe Johnson's wrist and spend the next three years chasing 40 wins, wondering why they don't have any cap room.

Update: Just read somewhere that the deal is in jeopardy because Atlanta is insisting on Marshon, and because the Nets afraid of cutting their own throats before Dwight's situation is resolved.

Archived