The Brooklyn Nets

Jetsfan80

Looks like it's almost a done deal. Congrats to Nets fans, but that is going to be one top-heavy team.

It makes the East way more competitive, but for this week it actually helps the Knicks considering it hands us Camby. Now it's just a matter of making a S&T work for Kidd or Cambyman.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its Richardson they are looking to shed. Nets have said they would be willing to take him back. I have no idea how that all fits in with their salary, but I think we should all start practicing because the Nets are going to be having open fan tryouts for the team to fill that roster since they must have no space left. That said if this deal goes down they will jump way ahead of anyone not named Miami and at least with Williams and Howard they have two positions Miami cant match.

As for Hump- hes ok. I think if he started like this when he was younger (which had more to do with not getting minutes than just not being good) he'd be David Lee. But between the Kardashian nonsense and the fact that it took him a few years to really find a home in NJ nobody wants him for more than a year. Hes basically a junk ball player offensively but he gets you points and is definitely going to get you boards.

Its Richardson they are looking to shed. Nets have said they would be willing to take him back. I have no idea how that all fits in with their salary, but I think we should all start practicing because the Nets are going to be having open fan tryouts for the team to fill that roster since they must have no space left. That said if this deal goes down they will jump way ahead of anyone not named Miami and at least with Williams and Howard they have two positions Miami cant match.

It's a shame all people see with Johnson is the contract. He's good. Really, really good. Probably one of the top 4-5 2-guards in the league. I think it's a more balanced Big 3 than Miami's, but Lebron of course offsets everything.

Should be interesting to see what NJ can put together around them. Miami's main problem that first year was versatility, they couldn't go big when they needed to against Dallas. But they also had draft picks to fill in some voids and a few vets already waiting on the roster to play. King is still going to have to build some sort of team around these guys.

Supposedly, Hump holding deal up while others saying the deal isn't even close and that Nets/DH are pushing the story:

Marc J. Spears reports that the complicated Nets - Magic deal has run in a snag: Kris Humphries, who must agree to a sign-and-trade trade for the deal to work, wants a four-year deal, not a one-year deal, which is what the Cavaliers prefer.

Spears tweets, "Possible complication in Dwight 3way deal is Nets FA Kris Humphries would seek 4yr deal with CLE and wouldn't sign 1yr pact, sources tell Y!" Humphries and Dwight Howard share an agent, Dan Fegan.

Others were not optimistic about the deal's prospects, or at least believe reports are premature. J.A. Adande of ESPN LA, tweets, " Source says of Dwight deal: 'No idea why there's so much hype around this thing...To act like it's almost done is overblown'." Similarly, Tom Withers who covers the Cavs for AP, writes, "The Humphries-to-Cavs thing is very speculative at this point, told not much substance." Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon-Journal says the rumors are drive by "Booklyn/DH." and are premature.

Meanwhile, Chris Broussard identifies at least one contract the Nets would be willing to take back, that of 31-year-old Jason Richardson, tweeting, "Nets willing, able - & likely, if it goes down - to take back J-Rich in 3-team Dwight deal with Magic & Cavs, source says."

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/7/9/3146761/spears-hump-reluctant-to-do-deal

Hump should fire his agent now if this latest rumor is true. Fegan reps both Hump & DH.

Fegan has a clear conflict of interest now because if he swings the trade for DH, Fegan would get a bigger comission from DH's max deal, plus another comission from Hump's 1 year deal, but a smaller comission from Hump's 4 yr deal alone.

It's a shame all people see with Johnson is the contract. He's good. Really, really good. Probably one of the top 4-5 2-guards in the league. I think it's a more balanced Big 3 than Miami's, but Lebron of course offsets everything.

Should be interesting to see what NJ can put together around them. Miami's main problem that first year was versatility, they couldn't go big when they needed to against Dallas. But they also had draft picks to fill in some voids and a few vets already waiting on the roster to play. King is still going to have to build some sort of team around these guys.

Johnsons fine and even without Howard I think they would likely have a good chance to host a playoff series unless he somehow just doesnt fit with Williams. My problem with him is moreso how bad its going to be at the back end because I dont see him giving the Nets more than 1 or 2 seasons where he is a major contributor. After that is when the salary just become a nightmare.

Per Wojnarowski:

In the proposed deal, Howard,

Jason Richardson

and

Earl Clark

would be sent to Brooklyn, and the Magic would receive the Nets’

Brook Lopez

Damion James

, Sheldon Williams, Cleveland’s

Luke Walton

and three future first-round picks, sources said. Cleveland would receive Orlando’s

Quentin Richardson

, Brooklyn’s

Sundiata Gaines

Kris Humphries

(on a one-year guaranteed deal), a first-round pick and $3 million from the Nets. Brooklyn also would send (MarShon) Brooks to a fourth team to get them an additional first-round pick to send to the Magic.

This would be an absolute heist for the Nets and the height of stupidity on Orlando's part.

They're trading the best center in the league for the right to grossly overpay Brook Lopez and a bunch of late 1st Rd picks all while failing to rid themselves of Hedo's contract? They're not receiving a single young, cheap asset nor a single lottery pick and they're not significantly improving their cap situation. I don't think you could come up with a worse deal for them to be honest.

I'd sooner send him to Houston or somewhere else for a decent young player, a couple of picks (HOU will have a #1 from TOR in the Lowry trade that's only top-3 protected) and a huge TPE than grant him his wish to go to Brooklyn and have to pay Brook Lopez nearly $60m.

I also don't see what would possess Humphries to agree to a 1yr deal - to go to Cleveland of all places - when he's free to sign wherever he wants.

Per Wojnarowski:

This would be an absolute heist for the Nets and the height of stupidity on Orlando's part.

They're trading the best center in the league for the right to grossly overpay Brook Lopez and a bunch of late 1st Rd picks all while failing to rid themselves of Hedo's contract? They're not receiving a single young, cheap asset nor a single lottery pick and they're not significantly improving their cap situation. I don't think you could come up with a worse deal for them to be honest.

I'd sooner send him to Houston or somewhere else for a decent young player, a couple of picks and a huge TPE than grant him his wish to go to Brooklyn and have to pay Brook Lopez nearly $60m.

I also don't see what would possess Humphries to agree to a 1yr deal - to go to Cleveland of all places - when he's free to sign wherever he wants.

They don't just let anybody matriculate at Duke.

Update, Fegan (agent for DH and Hump) doing damage control with sports writers on Twitter.

He says that talk of a 1-year deal for Hump are "ridiculous," that he has "not had any conversation about a 1-year deal," and that Hump is only interested in a multi-year guaranteed deal.

Update, Fegan (agent for DH and Hump) doing damage control with sports writers on Twitter.

He says that talk of a 1-year deal for Hump are "ridiculous," that he has "not had any conversation about a 1-year deal," and that Hump is only interested in a multi-year guaranteed deal.

Humphries is delusional if he thinks he's gonna get a multi-year at $9 mil per. He's been a free agent the last two seasons and has drawn zero interest both times. He's a scrappy rebounder, sure, but he's a stiff defensively and a garbage man offensively. I'm sure Fegan will explain to Hump that he can either take a one-year deal for $9 mil (which is almost twice what he's worth), or he can wait around for someone to sign him to an MLE-type contract at the end of free agency. Fegan is pulling all the strings here, and it looks like he's just trying to squeeze someone to give his lesser client a few more shekels on the way out the door.

Kidd would make me watch the Knicks on TV. Hopefully it gets other people to stay out of Brooklyn so I can watch the Nets live.

It'll be a tough ticket. They sold 1,000 new season tickets the week after Deron signed. If/when Dwight puts on the jersey, all those flip-flopping faux hipster tech-industry scums will bridge-and-tunnel it over there in their $300 vintage Derrick Coleman jerseys, horn-rimmed glasses and fedoras.

It'll be a tough ticket. They sold 1,000 new season tickets the week after Deron signed. If/when Dwight puts on the jersey, all those flip-flopping faux hipster tech-industry scums will bridge-and-tunnel it over there in their $300 vintage Derrick Coleman jerseys, horn-rimmed glasses and fedoras.

A chill just went down my spine. It ended in a fart.

Same, IMO. I think Kidd fixes the Knicks' Melo problem better than Nash fixes LA's Bynum/Gasol problem.

It's an interesting trade-off. Nash is twice the player at this point, but Kidd might be a better fit for the Knicks given the respect he commands around the league and his already solid relationships with Melo and Chandler.

tOt's an interesting trade-off. Nash is twice the player at this point, but Kidd might be a better fit for the Knicks given the respect he commands around the league and his already solid relationships with Melo and Chandler.

I love the Kidd deal for the Knicks, even more than if it were Nash. I think Nash would be great for everybody else on the team--Stat, Chandler, Shumpert, etc--but not as beneficial to Melo as Kidd will be. Nash wants to run pick and rolls and drop dimes to cutters and spot-up shooters. Kidd, on the other hand, wants to run half-court sets, break off set plays to get it to the guy with the easiest matchup, etc. Obviously, Melo will be that mismatch most of the time. At the same time, he has the rep to be able to go away from Melo and not have Melo get pissed off about it. It's sorta like when he had Chauncey Billups in Denver, but a Hall of Fame version. Just a really slick pickup by Grunwald. Cheap, too.

I love the Kidd deal for the Knicks, even more than if it were Nash. I think Nash would be great for everybody else on the team--Stat, Chandler, Shumpert, etc--but not as beneficial to Melo as Kidd will be. Nash wants to run pick and rolls and drop dimes to cutters and spot-up shooters. Kidd, on the other hand, wants to run half-court sets, break off set plays to get it to the guy with the easiest matchup, etc. Obviously, Melo will be that mismatch most of the time. At the same time, he has the rep to be able to go away from Melo and not have Melo get pissed off about it. It's sorta like when he had Chauncey Billups in Denver, but a Hall of Fame version. Just a really slick pickup by Grunwald. Cheap, too.

We'll see. I think he's almost toast at this point, but I'd take his style over Nash's in the context of teaching Lin 10 times out of 10. He can take that TO-prone D'Antoni sh*t and shove it up his ass.

It looks like Danny Ferry woke up and Atlanta is trying to get into the mix for Howard. Including Horford instantly trumps anything the Nets can offer IMO, as he's signed through 2015/2016 at a very reasonable $12m per - less than the Magic are reportedly ready to pay for an inferior player in Lopez.

Dwight can talk all the nonsense he wants about not extending in Atlanta, but he can't get to Brooklyn any way other than through a trade, save for the Nets finding a way to unload Joe Johnson. Atlanta will be able to offer him the most money, could be in a position to sign CP3 next year, and he'd be pissing on his hometown by up and leaving after one year. It's worth the risk for the Hawks to trade for him without any guarantees that he re-ups, because ultimately, I think he'll fold, since I don't think he really wants to play in LA.

Also, Atlanta doesn't have any draft pick debt, so they can include their 2013 #1 and perhaps another to make Orlando happy, (hopefully) making sure that the 2015 pick is lottery-protected in case Howard bolts after next year.

The fact that there's a good number of Gators fans in the Orlando area also makes Horford a lot more palatable as the return for Dwight than Brook Lopez, despite his affinity for Disney World.

n222619_32936281_9131.jpg

It looks like Danny Ferry woke up and Atlanta is trying to get into the mix for Howard. Including Horford instantly trumps anything the Nets can offer IMO, as he's signed through 2015/2016 at a very reasonable $12m per - less than the Magic are reportedly ready to pay for an inferior player in Lopez.

Dwight can talk all the nonsense he wants about not extending in Atlanta, but he can't get to Brooklyn any way other than through a trade, save for the Nets finding a way to unload Joe Johnson. Atlanta will be able to offer him the most money, could be in a position to sign CP3 next year, and he'd be pissing on his hometown by up and leaving after one year. It's worth the risk for the Hawks to trade for him without any guarantees that he re-ups, because ultimately, I think he'll fold, since I don't think he really wants to play in LA.

Yes, I'm sure going to Atlanta and winning 30 games playing by himself in front of zero people will definitely woo Dwight to stay in the ATL.

Yes, I'm sure going to Atlanta and winning 30 games playing by himself in front of zero people will definitely woo Dwight to stay in the ATL.

The same Atlanta that won more games than Orlando last season with Horford only playing in 11 contests? I know they lost Joe Johnson, but he wasn't even their best player last season. Supposedly Dwight and Josh Smith are tight and if they can offer Dwight the chance to play with CP3 and Smith in addition to an extra $20m+ by having his Bird Rights, what's the more attractive alternative for him?

Archived