Everyone's favorite, Evan Silva's Q&A Jet preview with the Jet Report

Matt39

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just saying with the Pats they throw the ball down the field the least out of all the teams with elite QB's.

The Patriots offense is a pain in the ass because they dink and dunk you to death and we can never stop it. Eric Smith in the mix doesnt help matters.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but in the end it still comes back to the QB to make that work. Imagine the Jets trying to run an offense that reliant on passing accuracy with Sanchez or worse yet, Tebow? I think we can all agree that would hardly go too well. The Saints aren't much different in having a far from traditional offense. Everyone thinks about them as this pure passing team, but they have limited options (at best) as far as deep threats go, and while I don't know for sure, I have to imagine they throw to the RB far more than any other team out there.

I lol'd.

Most of the talking head types are full of sh*t. I dunno why.

Because they have to stay relevant. You think Bayless believes 95% of the poopoo he spews out his mouth? He's just like T0mShane. And agitator. So you say things that are completely untrue that fit your agenda so that people follow you to see what you'll say next.

This Silva dude is no different. He's predicting something that's happened once in this history of the AFCE.

Its baseless. Its one of those, I'm going to make a prediction and fit ideas about a team that arent necessarily true into my story to fit my prediction. The AFCE in general has an easy schedule but only 1 team is going to be above .500?....which by the way has only happened once in the history of the division. lmfao

Well it happened last season and it could very well happen again this year no?

I dont think the Bills are going to take that big next step just yet.

edit- it also happened in 2007.

Well it happened last season and it could very well happen again this year no?

I dont think the Bills are going to take that big next step just yet.

I missed type. He's predicting only 1 team not to have a losing record, the Pats. Thats only happened once in the history of the AFCE.

Because they have to stay relevant. You think Bayless believes 95% of the poopoo he spews out his mouth? He's just like T0mShane. And agitator. So you say things that are completely untrue that fit your agenda so that people follow you to see what you'll say next.

This Silva dude is no different. He's predicting something that's happened once in this history of the AFCE.

You're retarded. I've been following Silva for years. He's a nuts and bolts analyst. This isn't Stephen A Smith or Skip. Let's review what he said:

--Sanchez kinda sucks right now but might be good down the road.

--Shonn Greene isn't great.

--Wayne Hunter sucks.

--The OLine is decent, but not the Hogs.

--Tebow's presence here could hurt Sanchez's confidence.

--Tebow is a better fit for a run-first offense.

Yeah. That's pretty sensationalistic stuff right there.

Colour me biased, but I'll go with the opinion of the guy who's made a career out of watching every snap of every team over that of a surf-bunny stoner who's made a career out of getting portly strippers day jobs as temp receptionists at Tallahassee accounting firms.

Silva's a dunce. That his blindly thrown darts occasionally hit the board is purely a matter of luck. Wilkerson was one of our best defenders the second half of last season. Silva's take: I didn't really watch him, he'll probably be good, but not this season because herp derp Rex says things herpa derp derp derp.

That said, big ups for having the courage and insight to go out on a limb and predict that we'll be bad on offense. I'll get the Pulitzer committee on the horn.

Silva's a dunce. That his blindly thrown darts occasionally hit the board is purely a matter of luck. Wilkerson was one of our best defenders the second half of last season. Silva's take: I didn't really watch him, he'll probably be good, but not this season because herp derp Rex says things herpa derp derp derp.

That said, big ups for having the courage and insight to go out on a limb and predict that we'll be bad on offense. I'll get the Pulitzer committee on the horn.

How does watching every offensive snap of every team equate to blindly throwing darts?

He focuses on fantasy/offense. Just because he isn't using the advanced stats/football outsiders stuff for everything, doesnt take away the ability to make conclusions based off of the eye.

How does watching every offensive snap of every team equate to blindly throwing darts?

He spent 1000 words saying "Sanchez is bad, Hunter is bad, Greene is bad." If it makes you feel better, I'll revise the metaphor: he's throwing darts at the world's largest dartboard.

He focuses on fantasy/offense. Just because he isn't using the advanced stats/football outsiders stuff for everything, doesnt take away the ability to make conclusions based off of the eye.

His conclusions are fine. In fact, they're so fine that they're exactly the same as those made by literally everyone else, be they stats guys or film guys. There's no value-added here.

He spent 1000 words saying "Sanchez is bad, Hunter is bad, Greene is bad." If it makes you feel better, I'll revise the metaphor: he's throwing darts at the world's largest dartboard.

His conclusions are fine. In fact, they're so fine that they're exactly the same as those made by literally everyone else, be they stats guys or film guys. There's no value-added here.

Reading JN, you'd think Sanchez, Hunter and Greene were all good.

Plus it was an interview...

i have watched every snap of every jets game last year and i can say with confidence, this romper room reporter is blindly throwing darts. jets hater pure and simple. just like all those wannabe writers from profootball talk, rotoworld,etc. like i said, the romper room of sports writing.the jets ceiling is 7-9?? what a joke. all these hacks just try to out predict each other on how bad the jets season will go. stick around, there will be worse predictions. they confuse fantasy football with real sports writing

There are at least 3 different discourses at all times on JN.

I don't think any of them defend Wayne Hunter. Lol!

Some people think Greene is pretty good, and the strongest defenses of Sanchez are along the lines of, "he sucks less than Tebow."

He seems to've created a story for the Jets season (1-4 start, Tebow takes over by the bye, Tannenbaum gets fired) and is trying to formulate his opinions to fit that scenario. It's hard not to simply paint the guy as a Jet hater, or a T0mShane wannabe.

My method is decidedly more scientific.

I LOL'd

Two great posts

You're retarded. I've been following Silva for years. He's a nuts and bolts analyst. This isn't Stephen A Smith or Skip. Let's review what he said:

--Sanchez kinda sucks right now but might be good down the road.

--Shonn Greene isn't great.

--Wayne Hunter sucks.

--The OLine is decent, but not the Hogs.

--Tebow's presence here could hurt Sanchez's confidence.

--Tebow is a better fit for a run-first offense.

Yeah. That's pretty sensationalistic stuff right there.

You're as ridiculous as him.

- Greene is a bigger liability than Sanchez

- Only one team in the AFCE wont have a losing record.

- I've never actually watched Mo Wilk, but let me give you my uneducated take

- Tebow gives the Jets a better chance at getting the rock to Santonio Holmes

- Tebow will not improve as a passer ( yet you can say the above statement.)

- Schotty had no bearing on the offense last season

- He knows more about defense than Rex Ryan

- The Jets havent upgraded at safety

- Dustin Keller who was the Jets leading receiver, isnt a good fit.

You're as ridiculous as him.

- Only one team in the AFCE wont have a losing record.

- I've never actually watched Mo Wilk, but let me give you my uneducated take

- Schotty had no bearing on the offense last season

I think your Jump to Conclusions mat is broken.... you're either lacking in reading comprehension with some of the inferences you're making or your homerific agenda is getting in the way.

Thinking that 60% of a unite being elite makes the entire unit elite, that's just being obtuse.

compare them to other lines around the league. You won't find any centers as good as Mangold. Maybe 5 tackles as good as Brick. maybe 10 guards (or less) as good as Moore.

It's ok to say they are flawed, everyone is flawed, the question is who is better and why? we are Jets fans obsessed with the Jets and while it is true this line isn't as good as the 2009 faneca/woody version, they are still very very good compared to the rest of the league.

compare them to other lines around the league. You won't find any centers as good as Mangold. Maybe 5 tackles as good as Brick. maybe 10 guards (or less) as good as Moore.

It's ok to say they are flawed, everyone is flawed, the question is who is better and why? we are Jets fans obsessed with the Jets and while it is true this line isn't as good as the 2009 faneca/woody version, they are still very very good compared to the rest of the league.

He said they were decent, which isn't an indication of their relative strength compared to other units around the league. Overall, he's suggesting that it's an adequate unit, not a great one, which is a necessary distinction for him based on a) the team's apparent intent to be a "ground and pound" offense and B) the Jets' lack of a RB who can gain yards outside of those provided by said line opening holes.

I don't think his assessment of the line is unfair at all.

So he didnt say any of those things? I'm just making those up?
I'll touch on some of your questionable conclusions from the article below:
He stated that, based on the Jets intended offensive gameplan of "ground and pound", one could argue that Greene is a bigger liability than Sanchez.
He stated that Tebow gives the Jets a better chance of getting the rock to Santonio Holmes in the vertical passing game. As in, down the field. Tebow outpaced Sanchez in both completion percentage and YPC on throws of 20+ yards last season.
He stated that he likes Tebow and thinks that he can QB a winning offense, but doesn't think he will improve as a passer based on his mechanics. This statement does absolutely nothing to contradict his previous one.
"Rex Ryan knows a lot more about defensive schemes than me, and I don’t doubt for a second that the Jets will trot out an effective 2012 defense no matter what formation they’re using. The Jets will play good defense."
He stated that Landry is an upgrade if healthy, but notes that is a big "if". He rightly dismisses Bell as an upgrade with respect to covering pass-catching TE's like Gronkowski, Hernandez, et al.
He stated that, based on the Jets' lack of a QB that can effectively throw the ball and their stated intent to focus on the running game, that a receiving TE who can't block isn't the best fit. The fact that Sanchez failed to deliver the ball to his WR's last season does not make his assertion untrue.

I'll touch on some of your questionable conclusions from the article below: He stated that, based on the Jets intended offensive gameplan of "ground and pound", one could argue that Greene is a bigger liability than Sanchez.He stated that Tebow gives the Jets a better chance of getting the rock to Santonio Holmes in the vertical passing game. As in, down the field. Tebow outpaced Sanchez in both completion percentage and YPC on throws of 20+ yards last season.He stated that he likes Tebow and thinks that he can QB a winning offense, but doesn't think he will improve as a passer based on his mechanics. This statement does absolutely nothing to contradict his previous one."Rex Ryan knows a lot more about defensive schemes than me, and I don’t doubt for a second that the Jets will trot out an effective 2012 defense no matter what formation they’re using. The Jets will play good defense."He stated that Landry is an upgrade if healthy, but notes that is a big "if". He rightly dismisses Bell as an upgrade with respect to covering pass-catching TE's like Gronkowski, Hernandez, et al. He stated that, based on the Jets' lack of a QB that can effectively throw the ball and their stated intent to focus on the running game, that a receiving TE who can't block isn't the best fit. The fact that Sanchez failed to deliver the ball to his WR's last season does not make his assertion untrue.

Well, those are like, your opinions, man.

Maybe you can do me a favor? If I post some raving nonsensical article about the Jets but get super critical and include such buzz phrases as "Mark Sanchez is not the answer!", "Shonn Greene is an underachieving plodder!", and "Mike Tannenbaum can't draft!", maybe you can circulate it around the internet for me??? I'd LOVE to be published!!

Archived