The Jets New Offense

Lupz27

That's just it. I don't think it came down to Schotty being bad. Just a bad fit.

I can agree with this . How does this translate to the Rams though ? thats the big question. Will someone step in and say something to him ? I dont think Fisher is the type of guy to just hand over the reigns without serious evaluation. Rex let Shotty have his way. Personally I think Fisher will be more hands on. If not I feel bad for Bradford who has the tools to be a pretty damn good QB.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While that could perhaps be true, if the offense he wanted to run was such a bad fit for his personnel and yet he insisted on running it anyway, that still makes him completely awful at his job with the Jets.

This. Good coaches coach a good system and expect results. Great coaches cater their system to the talent they have and get results.

While that could perhaps be true, if the offense he wanted to run was such a bad fit for his personnel and yet he insisted on running it anyway, that still makes him completely awful at his job with the Jets.

your right and this is why its good we have a guy like Sparano at the helm whos not afraid to coach to the talent he has available rather than forcing some bullsh*t philosophy down their throats. Im pretty sure he proved that in Miami . Ill take that type of coach any day and let the rest come down to played execution which is something we have seemed to lack around here for a long while, execution.

Ah bullsh*t. He adapted to the personnel and the desires of the head coach plenty. They had a top 5 rushing offense two years in a row. I'm sure he'd rather have been airing it out. He also might feel that the best way to develop your QB is to give him some time under fire running the O. He certainly had some decent success in 2009 and 2010 at least in the won-loss column. I think that they had a great deal of success when you consider how bad Sanchez seemed to be running that O. You can bitch about the guy, but he was not "completely awful". I know we are all riding the Sparano high, but 14 points were D and specials and next week is another week. Let's not get our heads too far in the clouds just yet.

I can agree with this . How does this translate to the Rams though ? thats the big question. Will someone step in and say something to him ? I dont think Fisher is the type of guy to just hand over the reigns without serious evaluation. Rex let Shotty have his way. Personally I think Fisher will be more hands on. If not I feel bad for Bradford who has the tools to be a pretty damn good QB.

You can agree, but you aren't. Bradford is more polished than Sanchez. It is quite likely that he is better able to run that offense. Sanchez seemed slow to go through his reads and didn't seem to see the whole field and that can be death with these option routes because while he may know what one receiver is doing he didn't know what the others were and that can happen when you don't know what the defenders are doing or what they are all playing.

your right and this is why its good we have a guy like Sparano at the helm whos not afraid to coach to the talent he has available rather than forcing some bullsh*t philosophy down their throats. Im pretty sure he proved that in Miami . Ill take that type of coach any day and let the rest come down to played execution which is something we have seemed to lack around here for a long while, execution.

It was one game and a dismal preseason. I am not ready to proclaim Sparano a savant. If the guy were able to develop this dominating offense the entire thing wouldn't have to be a secret.

Ah bullsh*t. He adapted to the personnel and the desires of the head coach plenty. They had a top 5 rushing offense two years in a row. I'm sure he'd rather have been airing it out. He also might feel that the best way to develop your QB is to give him some time under fire running the O. He certainly had some decent success in 2009 and 2010 at least in the won-loss column. I think that they had a great deal of success when you consider how bad Sanchez seemed to be running that O. You can bitch about the guy, but he was not "completely awful". I know we are all riding the Sparano high, but 14 points were D and specials and next week is another week. Let's not get our heads too far in the clouds just yet.

I won't even slightly disagree with you regarding the bold, but as far as Schitty is concerned, my feelings on the job he's done were forged over the course of 6 years, so I'm still going to think he's an idiot regardless of how good or bad the Jets offense does without him. This is the same guy after all who had to have the coaching of that very running game stripped away from him at one point in his time here.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

9/12/12, 3:38 PM

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects more Tim Tebow than in Bills game

Tim Tebow was used on 10 offensive snaps in the Jets' win over Buffalo, running the ball five times. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects more of him than that Sunday in Pittsburgh, though what he saw wasn't entirely new.

"I know that we better be prepared for more than what I saw him do in the game on Sunday," Tomlin said. "That wasn’t very different than from what was done in Miami with the likes of Ronnie Brown, Pat White or others. Obviously he’s a capable passer and that’s an element of it that we need to be prepared for."

The Steelers were burned by Tebow last year in the AFC wildcard round, as he led the Denver Broncos to an overtime playoff victory -- ending the game with an 80-yard TD pass on a day he threw for 316 and two touchdowns. But that's not the Tebow that Tomlin is expecting.

LMAO! Go right ahead...waste precious practice time preparing for the unknown, and less time preparing for our base offense.

I won't even slightly disagree with you regarding the bold, but as far as Schitty is concerned, my feelings on the job he's done were forged over the course of 6 years, so I'm still going to think he's an idiot regardless of how good or bad the Jets offense does without him. This is the same guy after all who had to have the coaching of that very running game stripped away from him at one point in his time here.

The bold is 100% in the remains to be seen realm. Hopefully Sparano proves Schotty an idiot. As for the running game we are back to Callahan and is he a genius? I tend to discount much of the "running game coordinator" stuff, but I can see how others wouldn't. If Callahan was the impetus of the success of the running game then sure, Schotty didn't do too much good here. We'll see. Hopefully Sparano keeps it rolling, but I will root for the Rams to have some success in that pitiful division.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Tim Tebow was used on 10 offensive snaps in the Jets' win over Buffalo, running the ball five times. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects more of him than that Sunday in Pittsburgh, though what he saw wasn't entirely new.

"I know that we better be prepared for more than what I saw him do in the game on Sunday," Tomlin said. "That wasn’t very different than from what was done in Miami with the likes of Ronnie Brown, Pat White or others. Obviously he’s a capable passer and that’s an element of it that we need to be prepared for."

The Steelers were burned by Tebow last year in the AFC wildcard round, as he led the Denver Broncos to an overtime playoff victory -- ending the game with an 80-yard TD pass on a day he threw for 316 and two touchdowns. But that's not the Tebow that Tomlin is expecting.

LMAO! Go right ahead...waste precious practice time preparing for the unknown, and less time preparing for our base offense.

Or he is throwing more media attention our way hoping to distract or frustrate players.

Or he is trying to okie doke Sparano into thinking they are plenty or not plenty prepared.

DAMNIT! I hate overthinking.

I think that Schottenheimer's offense ran a lot of option routes. The WR has the option and the QB has to read it. I think that it became more simplified because Sanchez had trouble dealing with it. It was a bad fit for a dumb/inexperienced QB and dumb/lazy WRs. Braylon, Burress and Holmes. Not one is known for his brains and hard work and fighting back to the ball.

I was saying this all offseason, but more as an indictment of Schotty than the personnel, and I still feel the same way. I think Schotty's elaborate passing system just takes too much time, and that the thinking element would be too much for any QB. Even those named Manning. Brett Favre came in here and shut most of Schotty's stupid stuff down.

Sanchez could go thru his reads quicker and more completely because he knew where receivers were supposed to go, he didn't have to guess which option they were going to take on every route. The result was much crisper passing and no communication errors that I can recall. Which is amazing, when you think about it. Should be the opposite, that they're on the wrong page in the new offense rather than the one they played in for three years.

Time will tell. We'll see how they do this week and over the course of the season, and we'll see how Schottenheimer does with Wonderboy Bradford. Right now, I'm very encouraged.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

This is exactly what the Jets want, and why they didn't do anything too fancy out of the Saviorcat once they got the big lead. Much more for Pittsburgh to think about - especially given the way Tebow beat them in the playoffs last year. You can bet that Tomlin's spending a lot of time preparing for Tebow.

I was saying this all offseason, but more as an indictment of Schotty than the personnel, and I still feel the same way. I think Schotty's elaborate passing system just takes too much time, and that the thinking element would be too much for any QB. Even those named Manning. Brett Favre came in here and shut most of Schotty's stupid stuff down.

Sanchez could go thru his reads quicker and more completely because he knew where receivers were supposed to go, he didn't have to guess which option they were going to take on every route. The result was much crisper passing and no communication errors that I can recall. Which is amazing, when you think about it. Should be the opposite, that they're on the wrong page in the new offense rather than the one they played in for three years.

Time will tell. We'll see how they do this week and over the course of the season, and we'll see how Schottenheimer does with Wonderboy Bradford. Right now, I'm very encouraged.

This

The bold is 100% in the remains to be seen realm. Hopefully Sparano proves Schotty an idiot. As for the running game we are back to Callahan and is he a genius? I tend to discount much of the "running game coordinator" stuff, but I can see how others wouldn't. If Callahan was the impetus of the success of the running game then sure, Schotty didn't do too much good here. We'll see. Hopefully Sparano keeps it rolling, but I will root for the Rams to have some success in that pitiful division.

Frankly, I think it was the OL and little else that was the success of the running game, considering nobody on this team ever did much to help keep opposing defenses from loading up against the run, and this team still got its yards. It's just kind of funny that the one thing this team found success with on offense during Schotty's time here happened to be the same thing the team seemed to have a problem with how he was handling. Either way, it doesn't much matter. He's gone and I'm happy about it, so let's hope that we continue to see a massive difference in the success of this offense, regardless of who is or isn't to blame / credit for it all.

I have just finished watching the game again, and I have come away that this Jets offense is not your typical 50's G&P offense everyone was expecting, but more like the Jets offense under Parcells specifically 1998, TBH I really can't tell the difference between what the 1998 Jets base offense, and the current Jets base offense (non Tebow packages).

By that I don't just mean actual formations, I really mean philosophy, the 1998 Jets put pressure on the D through the air, and used that to set up the run, and used the run to kill the game in the end when the D was tired, but most importantly they always went for the score every drive, there was never any give up 3rd downs with that team they tried to pick up the 1st down no matter the distance just like the high powered offenses in the league do now.

I was extremely pleased with the play calls on 3rd down, will they always execute them as well as they did last week? I doubt it, but knowing they will be agressive in these situations is such a refreshing change, I think we can all agree on that. 3rd and 4 isnt lets try, and get 4-5 yards for the 1st down, it is now different levels of route running on the 3rd downs when it is a passing play, what I really mean here is that 3rd and 4 will more then not result in a 15+ yard play when the pass is completed, that is something we never saw with Schotty's offense 3rd and 4 ment we are trying to get 4 yards, and 4 yards only most of the time.

If Sparano stays agressive with his play calling all year, and week 1 is what this offense will try, and do (non Tebow package) this NYJ's team can play with ANYONE, and beat ANYONE! It all falls on Sanchez, and his execution, he finally has a coach willing to put the ball in his hands to make plays down the field in a real NFL passsing offense, if Sanchez succeeds, and becomes an above average QB, with Rex's defense it is not absurd to think Super Bowl,or bust.

What does everyone else feel about the new Offense? Who would you compare it to past, and present (again non Tebow packages)?

Good points. Now that you mention the Parcells offense, I tend to agree with you. They are vertical and they do go for it. Plus, Sparano could kick Schotty's ass from here to Sunday.

Or he is throwing more media attention our way hoping to distract or frustrate players.

Or he is trying to okie doke Sparano into thinking they are plenty or not plenty prepared.

DAMNIT! I hate overthinking.

So true, I hear ya man...I really do!!! But, our team's mindset is "it's us clowns against the world." I'm always the glass half full guy, at least that's what my Fam always teases me about. They say I over-think sometimes, but I believe that what we showed Sunday was a ploy "by design." Truth be told, The Pitts find themselves in the same sh*tty predicament the Bills were in, because we still haven't shown a damn thing, and Tomlin knows this! I personally think T-Rex are calculating, but in a good way for us man.

If we can just fukk up their precious preparation time, even if it's for 6-8 precious hours this week, our offense benefits. T-Rex share a brain...that combo is the perfect storm for this team. They decided to be CLANDESTINE about these formations waaaaaaay before Tebow came on our radar.

It's our time man...

This is exactly what the Jets want, and why they didn't do anything too fancy out of the Saviorcat once they got the big lead. Much more for Pittsburgh to think about - especially given the way Tebow beat them in the playoffs last year. You can bet that Tomlin's spending a lot of time preparing for Tebow.

Ding, ding, ding...you win!!!! Saviorcat is the best name I've heard so far. I'm just glad this kid is on "my side" now.

Wow...true! (on what's in bold)

I actually feel bad for the guy...Bradford has Shoddy -AND- Wayne "beaten like a drum" Hunter. Awwwww...

shottymadscientist.jpgwaynedrumhunter.jpg

We'll see. I pretty much agree with most of this. I think we were both calling for a simplified offense the last few years. I disagree with you saying that these other QBs couldn't/wouldn't run Schottenheimer's offense. I think for the most part they do. I think that what Sparano is doing is what is unusual, but I am fine with that. Let's hope it keeps working.

would it ring a bell if I said erhardt/perkins tree ?

coryell/erhardt/perkins/parcells/henning/weis/sparano/haley

I knew it was an erhardt/perkins offense as the base, but I expected a weird conservative hybrid from the talks of G&P all day, and the Dolphins history over the last 4 years, I did not think it would be as aggressive as it was on Sunday, thats where I drew the comparisons from 1998 in Philosophy, not just the X's, and O's of the 1998 O, which looks almost Identical from then to, and that was my favorite Jets offense by far since I've been watching the Jets (1986). So I hope Sparano keeps calling up those plays, and if he does you better believe the running lanes will really open up as soon as the tape comes out on the Jets O, defenses won't be able to stack the box, and eventually even a slow pounder like Greene will start to get 5-8 yards a clip frequently, that is a little forshadowing on my part, hope it comes true.

We'll see. I pretty much agree with most of this. I think we were both calling for a simplified offense the last few years. I disagree with you saying that these other QBs couldn't/wouldn't run Schottenheimer's offense. I think for the most part they do. I think that what Sparano is doing is what is unusual, but I am fine with that. Let's hope it keeps working.

To me most great QB's and WR's do have these option routes, but they are genuine not manufactured like Schotty tried to do, he tried to create an offense that had this magical element of QB, WR connection, that can't be manufactured, Manning, and Harrison didn't have the options written in the play it was built off of years of chemistry, this can not be manufactured from day 1, and I feel this was what Schotty was always trying to create. Even a great QB could see the proper option the WR should choose, but if said WR doesn't choose that option the QB is caught with his dick in his hand, you have to have that trust, and that is something the Jets personal never really had, maybe Sanchez, and Braylon had a little, and Keller and Sanchez had a lot, but there was to much confusion going on for a young QB like Sanchez, and it just doesn't fit for a young kid trying to pick up the speed of the NFL, never mind trying to think like a 15 year Vet like Schotty's system required IMO.

To me most great QB's and WR's do have these option routes, but they are genuine not manufactured like Schotty tried to do, he tried to create an offense that had this magical element of QB, WR connection, that can't be manufactured, Manning, and Harrison didn't have the options written in the play it was built off of years of chemistry, this can not be manufactured from day 1, and I feel this was what Schotty was always trying to create. Even a great QB could see the proper option the WR should choose, but if said WR doesn't choose that option the QB is caught with his dick in his hand, you have to have that trust, and that is something the Jets personal never really had, maybe Sanchez, and Braylon had a little, and Keller and Sanchez had a lot, but there was to much confusion going on for a young QB like Sanchez, and it just doesn't fit for a young kid trying to pick up the speed of the NFL, never mind trying to think like a 15 year Vet like Schotty's system required IMO.

This is a nice idea, but false. To the extent there are option routes they are from the coaches and years of chemistry are irrelevant. Garcon and Collie stepped right in with Manning and didn't miss a beat. How many guys has Brady run through over there? The coach absolutely creates them, but it's up to the players to know what they are each going to be doing. To see it on the field.

Know and know you know.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

I love this sh*t. Rex and company are in the heads of the entire league.

I'd love if they spent all week long preparing for this wrinkle and Tebow never even takes a snap. sh*t would be hilarious.

Anyone find Howard's play a little hilarious? Tannenbomb's blind squirrel finding a nut.

Not sure about the whole '98 thing (sure, why not?), but as long as Sanchez can pass this offense looks like its joined the 21st century.

Team speed in general is up over the past few years and there's way better and bigger athletes on the roster.

I think Schottenheimer was a good fit with Mangini. Too smart guys that were going to manipulate the game to their advantage. Then Rex came in and wanted a ton of ground control and his mentality is we are going to outhit you and beat you up. That fits a ground and pound/deep ball mentality and didn't mesh well with Schottenheimer's style. The funny thing is that this is what Al Davis was always trying to do and everybody bitched about his antiquated style. It can work if it's executed properly.

So true, I hear ya man...I really do!!! But, our team's mindset is "it's us clowns against the world." I'm always the glass half full guy, at least that's what my Fam always teases me about. They say I over-think sometimes, but I believe that what we showed Sunday was a ploy "by design." Truth be told, The Pitts find themselves in the same sh*tty predicament the Bills were in, because we still haven't shown a damn thing, and Tomlin knows this! I personally think T-Rex are calculating, but in a good way for us man.

If we can just fukk up their precious preparation time, even if it's for 6-8 precious hours this week, our offense benefits. T-Rex share a brain...that combo is the perfect storm for this team. They decided to be CLANDESTINE about these formations waaaaaaay before Tebow came on our radar.

It's our time man...

Glass half full? The more we overthink things around here the more pessimistic we become. I think that is more common in football. Meatheads run head first into a wall. Chrebet cracks down on DEs. Think too much and you become like Pennington afraid to pull the trigger. I was nervous that was happening with Sanchez. He had a promising start, but he seemed worse and more tentative as time wore on. Thankfully after this week my hope is restored a bit.

I think Tomlin is right to expect more Tebow than the Bills got, maybe even a Hail Tebow pass or two.

He'll see a pump fake at the very least. Tebow isn't only in the Steelers' heads, they want revenge on him. Jets need to take advantage of that.

Always good to have the QB you want revenge on out there on punt returns and playing TE!

Haha I don't know about you guys but this has always been, IMO, the most obvious sign that they did not bring Tebow here to be a QB. I always laughed at those who said he would take over because if they had that much confidence in him at QB he would not be on the punt team, lining up at TE, on kick off team, and everywhere else they put this guy. It just never made sense.

Haha I don't know about you guys but this has always been, IMO, the most obvious sign that they did not bring Tebow here to be a QB. I always laughed at those who said he would take over because if they had that much confidence in him at QB he would not be on the punt team, lining up at TE, on kick off team, and everywhere else they put this guy. It just never made sense.

OTOH, the Giants won a super bowl with Hostetler and he played on the punt cover. I don't even think he was personal protector to take the snap. Tebow is a big boy. I think he'll dish out at least as much as he takes.

OTOH, the Giants won a super bowl with Hostetler and he played on the punt cover. I don't even think he was personal protector to take the snap. Tebow is a big boy. I think he'll dish out at least as much as he takes.

Ok I see what you're saying but I disagree.

You don't put your backup QB or as some thought here, the replacement starting QB, in harms way like that. Doesn't make sense. He was brought here to play football not QB. End of story.

Always good to have the QB you want revenge on out there on punt returns and playing TE!

I really believe the Steelers will be paying extra attention to him whenever he's on the field. They don't want to get beat by him on a fake punt, or a TE option. If I'm the Jets, I do a lot of decoying with him. Put him back there in wildcat formation, then direct snap to Powell, instead. Do the fake end around with him from the H-back spot. Stuff like that.

The Steelers were completely embarrassed by Tebow last season. They probably didn't like it.

Ok I see what you're saying but I disagree.

You don't put your backup QB or as some thought here, the replacement starting QB, in harms way like that. Doesn't make sense. He was brought here to play football not QB. End of story.

What do you disagree with? The Hostetler thing is simple fact. Most teams treat their QBs like glass. I like having a guy that serves multiple purposes. Get some bang for your buck instead of burning a roster spot on a guy that is going to wear a baseball cap for 3 hours every Sunday.

What do you disagree with? The Hostetler thing is simple fact. Most teams treat their QBs like glass. I like having a guy that serves multiple purposes. Get some bang for your buck instead of burning a roster spot on a guy that is going to wear a baseball cap for 3 hours every Sunday.

Exactly. And its not like Tebow is some valuable young QB we're grooming for the starting job.

Sorry man, I thought you were using that as an example saying its not that uncommon haha

Archived