Over Reaction Monday Number Two

sh4dy15

Fair enough. But the "Sanchez in his 3rd year is exaclty like Eli" nonsense has to stop. And too many people here and elsewhere were propogating this nonsense. SimplyS anchez isn't Eli manning and he may not be very good at all.

Yeah, can't argue with you there. I guess I've just conceded to the fact that Sanchez has sucked and in all likelihood will continue to do so, while I'm still trying to figure out where this sudden belief of many that Eli is amongst the league's elite came from when the guy can't show up for more than a half most of the time.

Instead we get fed Eli. The real comparables are Leinart, Leaf, Carr, et al. and the legion of QBs who continued to suck.

There is no guarantee that the lightbulb will go on for Sanchez, but I'm getting sick of hearing him compared to these losers. What has Sanchez done that those three haven't? Well, he's thrown for more than 20 TDs in a season. None of those 3 did. He has thrown more TDs than INTs except his rookie year. Carr accomplished that in his 3rd and 4th seasons. Barely. The others? Never. The most any of them ever had was a +3 TD to INT. Sanchez has that THIS SEASON.

Sanchez has thrown for over 3,200 yards twice. Carr is the only one to throw for over 3,000. He did it once. His 3,531 is a little more than Sanchez last season at 3,474. Carr's next highest total in five years as a starter is 2,767. Leaf never threw for more than 1,900. Leinart - 2,500.

The fact is, Sanchez started from day 1. He was a raw prospect that needed development time and he has already accomplished considerably more in his career than those 3. He probably will never turn out to be as good as Eli, he is frustrating to watch, but he isn't the complete stiff some of you try to make him out to be either.

Yeah, can't argue with you there. I guess I've just conceded to the fact that Sanchez has sucked and in all likelihood will continue to do so, while I'm still trying to figure out where this sudden belief of many that Eli is amongst the league's elite came from when the guy can't show up for more than a half most of the time.

Same reason so many people thought Sanchez could be really good: Eli has the tendency to show up when it matters.

I will add that throwing for 500+ yards is a damn impressive feat, I don't care who you're facing. It had only been done 12 times in NFL history, and maybe only 1 or 2 of them were "fluky" performances (I.E. it was done by some of the best):

Norm Van Brocklin (1951) - 554 yds

Warren Moon (1990) - 527

Boomer Esiason (1996) - 522

Dan Marino (1988) - 521

Matthew Stafford (2011) - 520

Tom Brady (2011) - 517

Phil Simms (1985) - 513

Drew Brees (2006) - 510

Eli Manning (2012) - 510

Vince Ferragamo (1982) - 509

Y.A. Tittle (1962) - 505

Elvis Grbac (2000) - 504

Ben Roethlisberger (2009) - 503

There is no guarantee that the lightbulb will go on for Sanchez, but I'm getting sick of hearing him compared to these losers. What has Sanchez done that those three haven't? Well, he's thrown for more than 20 TDs in a season. None of those 3 did. He has thrown more TDs than INTs except his rookie year. Carr accomplished that in his 3rd and 4th seasons. Barely. The others? Never. The most any of them ever had was a +3 TD to INT. Sanchez has that THIS SEASON.

Sanchez has thrown for over 3,200 yards twice. Carr is the only one to throw for over 3,000. He did it once. His 3,531 is a little more than Sanchez last season at 3,474. Carr's next highest total in five years as a starter is 2,767. Leaf never threw for more than 1,900. Leinart - 2,500.

The fact is, Sanchez started from day 1. He was a raw prospect that needed development time and he has already accomplished considerably more in his career than those 3. He probably will never turn out to be as good as Eli, he is frustrating to watch, but he isn't the complete stiff some of you try to make him out to be either.

Grant you all that.But I'm still not seeing a competent NFL QB. May be the lightbulb goes on soon. Or elsewhere. Look, I really hope it does like right now. But based on the kneel before half, not sure the CS 3 years in sees him as much good either. If they did we never see Tebow here.

Grant you all that.But I'm still not seeing a competent NFL QB. May be the lightbulb goes on soon. Or elsewhere. Look, I really hope it does like right now. But based on the kneel before half, not sure the CS 3 years in sees him as much good either. If they did we never see Tebow here.

I'm not so sure. I think the kneel is part of the philosophy. I don't agree with it either, but it is what it is. I'm not saying we should be celebrating the fact that he is not Jamarcus Russell, but he's already had two seasons better than Harrington and Carr who were more NFL ready and on sh*tty teams that could afford growing pains. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I still think we have a better chance of winning with him than without. The scary thing is that his first game with both OCs he comes out smoking and then he has seemed to take a step back.

On the bright side, the Steelers are no joke. They were 12-4 last season. They were 1st in pass D, 1st in yards allowed, 1st in points allowed. I think we all got caught up in that Ham style BS. "The...pig... is...ripe..." crap. The fact is, the Steelers lost in Denver - a notoriously tough place to play- in a night game, to Peyton Manning. Denver is a tough team too. The Denver crowd is rough and IIRC Clark couldn't play because of the altitude. This game was a disappointment, but it's a game where you expect to be underdog.

It's good to be back after a long hiatus. I see not much has changed in a year.

I'll grant you Sanchez was not great yesterday. But honestly, who was open? I didn't see a lot of separation from anyone yesterday.

I am more worried about the defense. The tackling the first two games has been sub-standard, and I still don't see much of a pass rush without blitzing. Cromartie looks like he was on another planet yesterday, especially on that Wallace touchdown. That ball seemed like it was in the air for 10 minutes.

No reason to panic yet, but a loss to the Fish (they do have a good defense) and they are in deep doo doo.

tebow = media/fan attention

Same reason so many people thought Sanchez could be really good: Eli has the tendency to show up when it matters.

I will add that throwing for 500+ yards is a damn impressive feat, I don't care who you're facing. It had only been done 12 times in NFL history, and maybe only 1 or 2 of them were "fluky" performances (I.E. it was done by some of the best):

Norm Van Brocklin (1951) - 554 yds

Warren Moon (1990) - 527

Boomer Esiason (1996) - 522

Dan Marino (1988) - 521

Matthew Stafford (2011) - 520

Tom Brady (2011) - 517

Phil Simms (1985) - 513

Drew Brees (2006) - 510

Eli Manning (2012) - 510

Vince Ferragamo (1982) - 509

Y.A. Tittle (1962) - 505

Elvis Grbac (2000) - 504

Ben Roethlisberger (2009) - 503

While I won't deny that, there's also a reason why 5 of those 12 times have happened in the past 6 years. Still an impressive feat no doubt, but times have certainly changed. I'll certainly admit his second half performance yesterday was fantastic, but my only point is that the reason he needs to do that type of thing so often (although perhaps not to that extent) is kind of his own doing.

What should be of concern for Jet fans is that in Ryan's first 2 years the Jets only got blown out when the O turned the ball over numerous times. The Jets O didn't turn the ball over yesterday and got blown out.

True. But ineffective offense is about as bad as a turnover-prone offense. 3 quarters of garbage offense leads to bad field position and extra strain on the defense. That's been the story for the last 2+ years.

While I won't deny that, there's also a reason why 5 of those 12 times have happened in the past 6 years. Still an impressive feat no doubt, but times have certainly changed. I'll certainly admit his second half performance yesterday was fantastic, but my only point is that the reason he needs to do that type of thing so often (although perhaps not to that extent) is kind of his own doing.

You're definitely correct there. But at least he CAN dig himself out of those holes. Only a handful of QB's in the NFL can do that.

so we lose a conference game and look terrible in all areas and we shouldnt be concerned that this team looked so bad yesterday?

:lol:

hate to say it, but pretty much nobody is overreacting to the game yesterday. They're just pissed off we look like the 2011 jets again.

but hey... makes an easy thread for the sunshine and rainbow crowd.

And next week??? We'll be awesome again after we beat the Dolphins.

True. But ineffective offense is about as bad as a turnover-prone offense. 3 quarters of garbage offense leads to bad field position and extra strain on the defense. That's been the story for the last 2+ years.

I can see that argument, but that really hasn't been the case in the past. Remember, the Schitty offense lived on no 1st quarter TDs and the Jets didn't get blown out like they did yesterday without TDs.

Yesterday's game harkened back to bad days of the Herm era when the team couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.

hate to say it, but pretty much nobody is overreacting to the game yesterday. They're just pissed off we look like the 2011 jets again.

There were certainly elements of 2011, but I still think this team looks better than 2011 even after watching Sunday's game.

1) We're getting more pressure on the QB (not the case last year); start bringing him down and we'll be golden.

2) Our safeties are a big upgrade, though our LB's are simply a year older and slower.

3) The pass protection has got to be top 5 in the league right now.

4) Bilal Powell is looking better than any RB we used last year.

5) Sanchez still mopes but at least looks a little more poised than last year and is avoiding turnovers.

6) We're focusing on what Holmes has FAILED to do, but he did haul in a TD yesterday. Get Keller back and get Hill some mismatches and our passing attack will look significantly better.

I think there's a lot of reasons to be excited about the final 14 games.

so we lose a conference game and look terrible in all areas and we shouldnt be concerned that this team looked so bad yesterday?

:lol:

but hey... makes an easy thread for the sunshine and rainbow crowd.

And next week??? We'll be awesome again after we beat the Dolphins.

I dont think this is necessarily true...there's just a big split between the crowd that wants to blame entirely everything on Sanchez vs others who see a lot of alarming things about the WR's, running game and the teams sudden inability to wrap up.

The only time we don't have an Overreaction Monday is when we play on Monday night and have an overreaction Tuesday. Sometimes the day of Thanksgiving Overreaction Friday!

So if they play on Saturday, the pulse of the JN is good on Sunday? ;)

the easiest way to look like a fool is to make a judgement based on pre-season because teams sand bag and protect thier starters

the second easiet way to look foolish is to make a judgement on week 1, teams have all summer to get ready for it

we'll know what this team is after week 8, like every season

Archived