Santonio Holmes reportedly has been asked to redo Jets contract

F.Chowds

i dont agree with that. QB was the worst position on the team (he was bottom 3 qb in league) the WRs were meh but they had sanchez throwing inaccurate balls all over the place and injuries hurt us.

besides tanny thinks we getting patterson at 9 so i want nothing to do with him

I feel better now -- no way we are going to pick Patterson if that is Tanny's prediction.  Besides, I think the Bills will take him if he is still available when they pick.  

ok so let's say Sanchez is 30th in the league. Where does Clyde Gates rank? Where does Stephen Hill rank? Where does Jason Hill rank? They were ridiculously thin at WR, a position where you need several good options. 

clyde and jason shouldnt have played barring injuries and stephen hill is a rookie but is definitely better then the 3rd worst wr in the league. We cant reach for these "top" wrs when there are some good players even if they arnt skill positions

just to be clear Im saying WR at 9 is feasible but if not, WR at 41, 73 or whatever is likely. You said no WR til rd 4 im saying they are going WR earlier than that. It doesn't have to be at 9. but they will address the position before day 3.

I agree its likely, its just not my preference.  I just dont see any of the top 5 names being impact players at the next level.  I see them being very very average and you can find very average later.

I'm not predicting anything, just giving my overall opinion of the talent at WR in this draft.  Just like QB and RB, I wouldnt touch any prospect this year at QB, RB or WR before the 4th round.  I'm that low no the skills position on offense out there.  Just dont see anything special at all.

Nah

That distinction belongs to Harris.  At least the Holmes contract is escapable.  Harris isn't

At least Harris isn't a monstrous douche or locker room cancer.  It was within less than a year of him signing that enormous contract that Holmes was getting in arguments in the huddle during a game that got him kicked off the field.  Harris' contract is bad, but I'd still say the Holmes deal was worse.  It's not like any of this stuff with Holmes came out of left field either, he has been known to be a douche for his entire career, which is why the Jets were able to get him for a 5th-rounder to begin with.  They should have known better than to trust him with a deal like that.

After making a flurry of salary maneuvers last week there are reports the Jets are interested in restructuring wide receiver Santonio Holmes’ contract in an effort to gain more 2013 salary cap relief.

Holmes signed a 5 year $45 million contract before the start of the 2011 season.  The deal included approximately $24 million in guarantees with a $6.25 million signing bonus.

The Jets faced an issue with Holmes when he was benched during the final game of the 2011 season against the Miami Dolphins.  It looked as if Holmes was giving little effort and basically quit.  After what appeared to be a shouting match with teammates Holmes was pulled from the game never to return.  It later came out that there had been friction between Holmes and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The Jets found themselves in a dilemma with Holmes’ contract since his 2012 salary $7.75 million was already guaranteed while $7.5 million of his $11 million 2013 base salary became guaranteed in early February 2012.

The team ended up keeping the then disgruntled receiver as he and Sanchez worked out their issues but a week four Lisfranc injury ended Holmes’ 2012 season.

With a salary cap hit this year of $12.5 million Holmes would be a possible restructure candidate but it is unlikely he will give up any of his $11.25 million salary and workout bonus this season.

There is an offset in Holmes’ contract which means the Jets would get cap relief in the amount Holmes signed for with another team up to $7.5 million.  There wouldn’t be many teams willing to pay a lot for a player coming off a major injury and since Holmes knows he gets the $7.5 million from the Jets guaranteed he’d likely take less from a new team in hopes of making more in future years.

The Jets would probably take a big “dead money” cap hit, money which counts on the cap for a player no longer there, if they were to release Holmes.  Also the team would no longer have the veteran receiver making the Jets already thin receiving core even thinner.

Realistically not in a position to release Holmes the team could convert portion of his base salary into signing bonus which then will be prorated or spread throughout his contract ending in 2015.

Here’s an example:

Jets give Holmes a $9 million signing bonus and lower his base salary from $11 million to $2 million guaranteed which will be paid over the season.  The $9 million is divided into the 2013, 14, and 15 caps, so $3 million counts in each of those years, resulting in salary cap savings of $6 million for 2013.

The downside of this would be if the Jets want to release Holmes after the 2013 season they now will take a dead money hit of $8.5 million instead of $2.5 million if they paid the contract as is.

General manager John Idzik will have to make tough decisions as to the long term financial ramifications of restructuring Holmes or any other player and if these types of contract changes are best for the team moving forward.

I agree its likely, its just not my preference.  I just dont see any of the top 5 names being impact players at the next level.  I see them being very very average and you can find very average later.

I'm not predicting anything, just giving my overall opinion of the talent at WR in this draft.  Just like QB and RB, I wouldnt touch any prospect this year at QB, RB or WR before the 4th round.  I'm that low no the skills position on offense out there.  Just dont see anything special at all.

It depends on your definition of special. there's no Calvin Johnsons but there are several players who could be Anquan Boldin or Steve Smith (Car).  Quinton Patton for example. 

lol tanny mock draft is funny. I especially love listening to him on the nfls stream of the combine

I looked up.  There was a scroll on the bottom of the screen, something about the Daytona 500.  Danica had won the pole or something.  My young daughter, her hair in loose pigails chased her new puppy through the livingroom and into the kitchen, where dinner was being poorly constructed by the woman whith whom i share my house and children.  Then I heard a voice.  That voice.  Surely he could not be here, in my home.  In this room! My mind began to race, folding in on itself in horrified waves  as the words echoing from that box above my mantle began to taunt me...to unravel my psyche with its cocksure ignorance!  I dared not look up, tried to focus on the puppy, but it now had an oblong head, weak chin and thinning hair.  "get that thing out of here!" I screamed at my young daughter, throwing her the leash...she looked up, took two steps forward, realized she had over-corrected and then began to backpedal until her clumsy feet caught in the carpet and she tumbled backward, the leash falling limply to the floor!  "Wife!" I screamed,  "This is madness! The television!  Turn it off!  Turn it off!"  Kindly, sweetly she called to me, soothing my nerves, calming my panic, "shut it off yourself, you lazy a$$hole.  I'm not your maid.  Or your chef.  Dinner's burnt.  Looks like we're goin to the diner tonight."  The Diner.  But which Diner?  During the confusion, the desparation, I looked up at the screen.  There was his head.  His pale, bloated, face floating above my mantle.  He smiled, "The Roscoe Diner, Sirlance."  The scroll on the bottom of the screen now read only a single word.  A single, repeated word, that became audible as well as viewable.  The voices rose slowly at first.  Then font grew larger, the voices louder.  Larger.  Louder.  Larger!  Louder!  Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

TANNENBAUM...

TANNENBAUM....

TANNENBAUM!

I sprinted from the room, screaming "Tannembaum!" and quickly dove into my closet, pulling the jackets and clothes over me, hiding.  hiding.  Tannenbaum.  Tannenbaum.

I heard the woman ask my young daughter, "Hey honey, where's a$$hole?" 

"He's in the closet, crying again."

"oh.  Was Tannenbaum on TV again?"

"Yes.  Mommy."

"Then he can get his own dinner."

It depends on your definition of special. there's no Calvin Johnsons but there are several players who could be Anquan Boldin or Steve Smith (Car).  Quinton Patton for example. 

Doubt it...but you never know.

I like Patton btw.  Might be my favorite WR in the draft because of where you can get him and what he can provide.

Bit. this is off topic but, TFY Draft Insider is reporting from the combine that the word is that Jarvis Jones is going to take a DaQuan Bowers type plunge into the 2nd round.    

Man I just find that hard to believe, neck or no neck.  Have you heard anything about that?

Bit. this is off topic but, TFY Draft Insider is reporting from the combine that the word is that Jarvis Jones is going to take a DaQuan Bowers type plunge into the 2nd round.    

Man I just find that hard to believe, neck or no neck.  Have you heard anything about that?

just as USC failed him and UGA welcomed him, there will be some teams who red flag him and some teams that don't. 

The Jets historically are one of the most lenient teams in terms of passing physicals. if everyone is failing this player, then maybe see if he's there in rd2.

I think it's being overblown and still very much in play for the Jets at 9. it should be noted that Daquan Bowers is a dummy getting arrested in airports with guns but he played 16 games this year. 

just as USC failed him and UGA welcomed him, there will be some teams who red flag him and some teams that don't. 

The Jets historically are one of the most lenient teams in terms of passing physicals. if everyone is failing this player, then maybe see if he's there in rd2.

I think it's being overblown and still very much in play for the Jets at 9. it should be noted that Daquan Bowers is a dummy getting arrested in airports with guns but he played 16 games this year. 

Thanks

I just really find it hard to believe that every team would pass on him.  I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get past the Steelers. 

it would be funny though if the Jets took Dion Jordan at nine, who seems to be having a nice combine, and Jones was still there in the second.

LB, LB?  Why Not?

Thanks

I just really find it hard to believe that every team would pass on him.  I'd be willing to bet he doesn't get past the Steelers. 

it would be funny though if the Jets took Dion Jordan at nine, who seems to be having a nice combine, and Jones was still there in the second.

LB, LB?  Why Not?

the key to the Jarvis Jones conversation is expectation. If he's a great player for 4 years before the spine catches up to him, what is that worth? I think fans expect players to be great for 10 years (or more like Ray lewis) but if the choice is between 4 years of greatness and 10 years of mediocrity or not making it all... that's the decision these teams have to make. historically about half of these first rounders will be worthless. Jones won't be worthless but he does have a shelf life.

Dion Jordan at 4.6/240 is interesting but Margus Hunt also ran a 4.6 at 260. And Ansah ran it at 270. so....  i think Jordan's having a good combine but not a great one. They say the Eagles like him at 4 (which is fairly obvious from the CHip Kelly connection).  Barkevious Mingo with his 4.53 is gonna be long gone by 9... wow athlete.  

Demontre Moore is an obvious faller. that guy's gonna be a late 2/early 3 after running a 4.95, and that's a fall from where everyone had him before the combine. 

btw if we are talking about Lbs in rd 2, people need to check out Corey Lemonier. He was the only impact defender on Auburn all year and also ran a 4.53, like Mingo. Maybe he's a 1st rounder now. All in all it's a really deep year at OLB.

Weren't you one of the ones that complained that they never developed young WR?  I'm not a big fan of FA WR.  I read an article about how it often takes them 2-3 years to hit their stride.  That was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed, but the majority of these guys don't blossom changing teams.  We have enough needs, we need value. 

That's what I think it means too, but I don't think it's very clearly written.  Why is the max he can get $7.5?  What if another team offered him $20M?  Why is he a $12.5M cap number, but an $11M cap hit? 

No I was one of the ones who complained they never drafted a WR early in the draft.  Our WR position has been bottom of the barrel for a long time the last real impact WR this team had was Keyshawn and when they traded him they ruined the chemistry of the entire offense we built in 97/98 .

If we dump Holmes we should continue to develop Kerly and Hill and Keep Braylon then make a move sometime in the next few years to bring in a true number 1 via the draft or FA .... Personally I would lean on the draft ,more than getting a FA but it all depends on whats available and how things fall.

Bottom line this team needs speed on both sides of the ball at RB WR and LB

Then this is a year you trade out of the early rounds stock up picks and start to re develop this team with youth.

Lets face it this team is not doing anything next year, cut Holmes, go into the season with Edwards, Kerley and Hill maybe draft another receiver or grab an affordable FA.

Would much rather the Jets persue a talented RB via the draft than a WR at this time then get a Top end FA a few years down the road as the team begins to transition from the current slop to possible playoff contender. If Rex is the Defensive genius people seem to think he is and we keep two of the top corners in the NFL building the offense is the way to go. Of course this all hinges on what happens at the QB position.

No I was one of the ones who complained they never drafted a WR early in the draft.  Our WR position has been bottom of the barrel for a long time the last real impact WR this team had was Keyshawn and when they traded him they ruined the chemistry of the entire offense we built in 97/98 .

If we dump Holmes we should continue to develop Kerly and Hill and Keep Braylon then make a move sometime in the next few years to bring in a true number 1 via the draft or FA .... Personally I would lean on the draft ,more than getting a FA but it all depends on whats available and how things fall.

Bottom line this team needs speed on both sides of the ball at RB WR and LB

Fair enough, but you did just say that you would prefer a FA WR.  FWIW, the "current slop" is not so far from a contender that we should have to wait a "few years".  The team is only a couple of years removed from being a serious contender.

Fair enough, but you did just say that you would prefer a FA WR.  FWIW, the "current slop" is not so far from a contender that we should have to wait a "few years".  The team is only a couple of years removed from being a serious contender.

Yeah we are a couple of years removed from being a serious contender but we lost a lot of players who contributed behind the scenes that made this team a top ST unit and a top running Game and we never really got the WR postion where it needed to be. We were a running team and part of winning is good field positon and solid ST play . Our back up talent is Horrific and thats why our specials fell off a cliff last year. This team needs to be rebuilt with young talent I would not mind seeing us trade out of some early picks and get some second thrid and fourth round picks out of the deal and bring in some fresh young players. Im still not a fan of REX making over all personnell decisions in this situation the guy has tunnel vision on defense

Yeah we are a couple of years removed from being a serious contender but we lost a lot of players who contributed behind the scenes that made this team a top ST unit and a top running Game and we never really got the WR postion where it needed to be. We were a running team and part of winning is good field positon and solid ST play . Our back up talent is Horrific and thats why our specials fell off a cliff last year. This team needs to be rebuilt with young talent I would not mind seeing us trade out of some early picks and get some second thrid and fourth round picks out of the deal and bring in some fresh young players. Im still not a fan of REX making over all personnell decisions in this situation the guy has tunnel vision on defense

What did we lose from when we were a top running team?  Thomas Jones and Damien Woody.  Not exactly impossible guys to replace.  Special teams?  C'mon.  So we can't draft any WRs because we are too far from being a contender because we need to replace Thomas Jones, Damien Woody and Steve Weatherford?  I'm not saying it is easy to get back into contention, but let's not act like it is a 5 year plan either.  The long-term rebuilds are a thing of the past. 

I looked up.  There was a scroll on the bottom of the screen, something about the Daytona 500.  Danica had won the pole or something.  My young daughter, her hair in loose pigails chased her new puppy through the livingroom and into the kitchen, where dinner was being poorly constructed by the woman whith whom i share my house and children.  Then I heard a voice.  That voice.  Surely he could not be here, in my home.  In this room! My mind began to race, folding in on itself in horrified waves  as the words echoing from that box above my mantle began to taunt me...to unravel my psyche with its cocksure ignorance!  I dared not look up, tried to focus on the puppy, but it now had an oblong head, weak chin and thinning hair.  "get that thing out of here!" I screamed at my young daughter, throwing her the leash...she looked up, took two steps forward, realized she had over-corrected and then began to backpedal until her clumsy feet caught in the carpet and she tumbled backward, the leash falling limply to the floor!  "Wife!" I screamed,  "This is madness! The television!  Turn it off!  Turn it off!"  Kindly, sweetly she called to me, soothing my nerves, calming my panic, "shut it off yourself, you lazy a$$hole.  I'm not your maid.  Or your chef.  Dinner's burnt.  Looks like we're goin to the diner tonight."  The Diner.  But which Diner?  During the confusion, the desparation, I looked up at the screen.  There was his head.  His pale, bloated, face floating above my mantle.  He smiled, "The Roscoe Diner, Sirlance."  The scroll on the bottom of the screen now read only a single word.  A single, repeated word, that became audible as well as viewable.  The voices rose slowly at first.  Then font grew larger, the voices louder.  Larger.  Louder.  Larger!  Louder!  Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

TANNENBAUM...

TANNENBAUM....

TANNENBAUM!

I sprinted from the room, screaming "Tannembaum!" and quickly dove into my closet, pulling the jackets and clothes over me, hiding.  hiding.  Tannenbaum.  Tannenbaum.

"oh.  Was Tannenbaum on TV again?"

"Yes.  Mommy."

Aaaaa, perhaps you should lay off the cheap horror novels for awhile

What did we lose from when we were a top running team?  Thomas Jones and Damien Woody.  Not exactly impossible guys to replace.  Special teams?  C'mon.  So we can't draft any WRs because we are too far from being a contender because we need to replace Thomas Jones, Damien Woody and Steve Weatherford?  I'm not saying it is easy to get back into contention, but let's not act like it is a 5 year plan either.  The long-term rebuilds are a thing of the past. 

You forget we had some role players who contributed nicely to that running game not just Woody and Jones Turner came in as a TE and contributed nicely I forget the name of the blocking TE we had but he was a mean SOB just like Turner, Tony Richardson was light years ahead of John LOL Connor sure they were not starters but they did a job that was certainly not filled in their absence. Its not just about the starters .... ST and field position is a big part of the game. Our backups over all are terrible and it shows on specials. You dont have to have the type of philosphy Im talking about here but most good teams do have role players who contribute in multiple areas. The Jets when in contention had more on specials and defense and it almost got them to a SB they were a well rounded team just lacked the fire power when needed. Watch what happens when SF has to make some tough decisions behind the scenes they certainly cant pay all those talented players

I looked up. There was a scroll on the bottom of the screen, something about the Daytona 500. Danica had won the pole or something. My young daughter, her hair in loose pigails chased her new puppy through the livingroom and into the kitchen, where dinner was being poorly constructed by the woman whith whom i share my house and children. Then I heard a voice. That voice. Surely he could not be here, in my home. In this room! My mind began to race, folding in on itself in horrified waves as the words echoing from that box above my mantle began to taunt me...to unravel my psyche with its cocksure ignorance! I dared not look up, tried to focus on the puppy, but it now had an oblong head, weak chin and thinning hair. "get that thing out of here!" I screamed at my young daughter, throwing her the leash...she looked up, took two steps forward, realized she had over-corrected and then began to backpedal until her clumsy feet caught in the carpet and she tumbled backward, the leash falling limply to the floor! "Wife!" I screamed, "This is madness! The television! Turn it off! Turn it off!" Kindly, sweetly she called to me, soothing my nerves, calming my panic, "shut it off yourself, you lazy a$$hole. I'm not your maid. Or your chef. Dinner's burnt. Looks like we're goin to the diner tonight." The Diner. But which Diner? During the confusion, the desparation, I looked up at the screen. There was his head. His pale, bloated, face floating above my mantle. He smiled, "The Roscoe Diner, Sirlance." The scroll on the bottom of the screen now read only a single word. A single, repeated word, that became audible as well as viewable. The voices rose slowly at first. Then font grew larger, the voices louder. Larger. Louder. Larger! Louder! Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

Tannenbaum...

TANNENBAUM...

TANNENBAUM....

TANNENBAUM!

I sprinted from the room, screaming "Tannembaum!" and quickly dove into my closet, pulling the jackets and clothes over me, hiding. hiding. Tannenbaum. Tannenbaum.

"oh. Was Tannenbaum on TV again?"

"Yes. Mommy."

Epiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic

Sooooo Damien Woody, Thomas Jones, a 40 year old fullback, a 7th OL, and a blocking TE.....Yeah l, I could see that eating up a few years.

This place has gone mad. I get that losing does that, but damn yo. Damn.

How many years will it take to replace Ben ******* Hartsock?

Braylon Edwards down field blocking.

Archived