Welcome to Gang Green - Mike Goodson

NJ

This doesn't make sense.   They have to cut players.  Bringing in crappy players that wind up being cut isn't a good thing. it just means he brought in crappy players. At least they were cheap, but in general,  it has not exactly been a winning first year so far for Idzik.  Now if Smith, Milner, Richardson wind up great, all bets are off.  But if Smith sucks and Milner isn't that good,   and most of his free agent signings are doing what they've done so far,  it wasn't a good year.

ugh.  see above

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look at the depth chart.  a lot of guys who made the team.

bohanon, campbell, Aboushi, Ivory, spadola, milliner, douzable, jarrett

you keep beatin that drum but we know better

i thought we were talking about free agent signings like Mike Goodson. The draft is another story. Douz and Jarrett are the only true FA on that list. And Jarrett stinks. btw is Will Campbell a real person because I don't think he did a damn thing all preseason. 

i thought we were talking about free agent signings like Mike Goodson. The draft is another story. Douz and Jarrett are the only true FA on that list. And Jarrett stinks. btw is Will Campbell a real person because I don't think he did a damn thing all preseason. 

they made an NFL roster.  that's not easy.  don't be lazy and just pick out the whiffs.  I think a big part of his off season plan was to acquire comp picks and to have BIG  money to spend next year

if he whiffs next year, I'll be with you holding a pitch fork and torch

look at the depth chart.  a lot of guys who made the team.

I agree with you Larz. Some just want to kill these picks/players. Even though they have played 0 games. In the NFL, everybody is a potential bust. But maybe we should wait and see. As far as the guys that got cut, hey they didn't make the grade. But perhaps they made the young players that beat them perform that much better.

take that idzik !

pow !

Free Agent Tally (not counting rookies or trade)

* = Starter 

Good/Average: 

G Willie Colon*

S Dewan Landry*

TE Kellen Winslow

DE Leger Douzable 

OLB Antwan Barnes

ILB Danny Lansanah (psquad)

Bad/Who Knows: 

RB Mike Goodson

S Jaiquawn Jarrett

QB Brady Quinn 

QB David Garrard
G Stephen Peterman

DT Antonio Garay

WR Braylon Edwards

RB Alex Green

DE Scott Solomon

OT Ben Ijalana

WR Vidal Hazelton

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux

WR Thomas Mayo
OT DJ Young
OLB CLaude Davis
CB Cliff Harris
FS Brett Lockett
LS Travis Tripucka
PK Derek Dimke
P Ryan Quigley

granted alot of these guys were just brought in for looks but these are the hits and misses so far.  this list might be unfair to players like Scott Solomon and Alex Green but we certainly can't count them as a hit at this point. I think its fair to call Mike Goodson a bust so far. It hasn't exactly been a great offseason for this player .

* = Starter 

Good/Average: 

G Willie Colon*

S Dewan Landry*

TE Kellen Winslow

DE Leger Douzable 

OLB Antwan Barnes

Bad/Who Knows: 

RB Mike Goodson

S Jaiquawn Jarrett

QB Brady Quinn 

QB David Garrard
G Stephen Peterman

DT Antonio Garay

WR Braylon Edwards

RB Alex Green

DE Scott Solomon

OT Ben Ijalana

WR Vidal Hazelton

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux

WR Thomas Mayo
OT DJ Young
OLB CLaude Davis
CB Cliff Harris
FS Brett Lockett
LS Travis Tripucka
PK Derek Dimke
P Ryan Quigley

granted alot of these guys were just brought in for looks but these are the hits and misses so far.  this list might be unfair to players like Scott Solomon and Alex Green but we certainly can't count them as a hit at this point. I think its fair to call Mike Goodson a bust so far. It hasn't exactly been a great offseason for this player .

you understand they bring in more players than they can keep every year right ?  

by that reasoning gil brandt sucked

you understand they bring in more players than they can keep every year right ?  

by that reasoning gil brandt sucked

the reason why guys like William Campbell made the team is cause the batting average on the free agent front was way too low. they could have easily put Campbell (or Aboushi) on waivers for taxi squad and been fine. 

And let's be real if Willie Colon and Kellen Winslow play full seasons, I'll eat my hat. 

the reason why guys like William Campbell made the team is cause the batting average on the free agent front was way too low. they could have easily put Campbell (or Aboushi) on waivers for taxi squad and been fine. 

And let's be real if Willie Colon and Kellen Winslow play full seasons, I'll eat my hat. 

I'm gonna hold you to that !!!!

the roster is full of risky players and long shots.  it sure as heck isn't the 98 jets roster.  I'm not saying he did some miracle job turning over the roster, I'm just trying to point out his plan (from what I can tell) is to the unclog the toilet as tomshane so eloquently put it.

sometimes its the moves you don't make that lead to success, like not trading up for geno instead of picking him when he falls to you

most of these guys clearly are hold the fort guys

cavalry gets here next year

look at the depth chart. a lot of guys who made the team.

Bohannon made the team by default. Jarret was brought in before idzik got here. Milliner?? Yes our top 10 draft pick made the team. Ivory made the team but I have higher expectations when we give out 10 mil and a 4th. Campbell aboushi and spadola all have no business being on a football field. Those guys don't make 80% of the squads in the nfl.

Idzik has proven one thing to me so far. He's a gambler. Every guy he brought in seems to be a major risk in some fashion. Almost every guy we brought in has major injury, character, fumbling or penalty concerns. I don't want a cowboy gm who takes unnecessary risks on my watch. I don't like my gm spending what little cap money we have on "if" players. If ivory and colon stay healthy/dont lead the league in penalties. If Goodson gets his sh*t together and stops fumbling. Think about this for a second. We invested 5 draft picks and most of our free cap space to rb and ol and they are both are worse than last year. We could have just kept Moore slausson and green and been better off. Could have let green go then draft ball lacy bell Bernard Michael and had our future starter. But no. We put all our resources into changing rb/ol, ignore wr s olb in the draft and next year we have the same set of holes to fill.

Bohannon made the team by default. Jarret was brought in before idzik got here. Milliner?? Yes our top 10 draft pick made the team. Ivory made the team but I have higher expectations when we give out 10 mil and a 4th. Campbell aboushi and spadola all have no business being on a football field. Those guys don't make 80% of the squads in the nfl.

Bohannon made the team bc he has better potential than Lex freakin Hilliard and I think you are a jackass saying Spadola has no business on a field. That is just a stupid comment right there. The kid can obviously play, just depends on what level that will be in the NFL.

Idzik has proven one thing to me so far. He's a gambler. Every guy he brought in seems to be a major risk in some fashion. Almost every guy we brought in has major injury, character, fumbling or penalty concerns. I don't want a cowboy gm who takes unnecessary risks on my watch. I don't like my gm spending what little cap money we have on "if" players. If ivory and colon stay healthy/dont lead the league in penalties. If Goodson gets his sh*t together and stops fumbling. Think about this for a second. We invested 5 draft picks and most of our free cap space to rb and ol and they are both are worse than last year. We could have just kept Moore slausson and green and been better off. Could have let green go then draft ball lacy bell Bernard Michael and had our future starter. But no. We put all our resources into changing rb/ol, ignore wr s olb in the draft and next year we have the same set of holes to fill.

I think the cap/roster situation when he got here dictated the type of player he has brought in this year. It has been talked about ALOT on this forum that this year was a start to clean up the mess that was left to him by his predecessor.  What he has done that is most important is he has cleared $40M(?) for next year's cap and not extended any of the possible mistakes to hamper him next year(read sanchez/holmes). I may be too nice but I can see us retaining holmes if he heals 100% this year.  I have no doubt that he will be a good soldier, question is, can he play up to his past success.

It's $10M now? It's either $6 or $6.9M over 3 years.  

Bohannon made the team bc he has better potential than Lex freakin Hilliard and I think you are a jackass saying Spadola has no business on a field. That is just a stupid comment right there. The kid can obviously play, just depends on what level that will be in the NFL.

Actually, Bohannon made the team because Lex frekin Hilliard broke his scapula.

I think the cap/roster situation when he got here dictated the type of player he has brought in this year. It has been talked about ALOT on this forum that this year was a start to clean up the mess that was left to him by his predecessor.  What he has done that is most important is he has cleared $40M(?) for next year's cap and not extended any of the possible mistakes to hamper him next year(read sanchez/holmes). I may be too nice but I can see us retaining holmes if he heals 100% this year.  I have no doubt that he will be a good soldier, question is, can he play up to his past success.

I think the cap situation is a bit overblown.  I haven't seen Idzik make any great moves.  He has been slow and steady and made zero splash in the market.  That is probably precisely what this team needed.  He has a free year.  If the team tanks 2013 it will be on Rex, so Idzik can sit back and get himself some kind of core together without the noose tightening around his neck. I have no doubt that a better team could have been put together on paper, but you don't win games on paper and now the guy has some flexibility to deal with things during the season and for next offseason.

I think the cap situation is a bit overblown.  I haven't seen Idzik make any great moves.  He has been slow and steady and made zero splash in the market.  That is probably precisely what this team needed.  He has a free year.  If the team tanks 2013 it will be on Rex, so Idzik can sit back and get himself some kind of core together without the noose tightening around his neck. I have no doubt that a better team could have been put together on paper, but you don't win games on paper and now the guy has some flexibility to deal with things during the season and for next offseason.

So you think he would have made the same moves if he had more cap room or is there was no cap? I know its hypothetical.  To me Idzik evaluated the situation and did what was best long term for this franchise.  if the situation dictated a ton of cap room he would have operated differently. 

he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt which was short on cash and a ton of holes to fill.  Kind of like the story of your life, BAZZINGA!!!

So you think he would have made the same moves if he had more cap room or is there was no cap? I know its hypothetical.  To me Idzik evaluated the situation and did what was best long term for this franchise.  if the situation dictated a ton of cap room he would have operated differently. 

he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt which was short on cash and a ton of holes to fill.  Kind of like the story of your life, BAZZINGA!!!

My point is that I don't think that he was as short on cash as people are acting.  They have room now and they probably had the ability to monkey with some deals to make more.  Some of that amounts to robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it works.  I agree he is looking out long term, but he has that luxury.  If the team implodes he can fire Rex.  If it is super bad he can do it during the season.  This is basically a free year to set the core, or at least learn what the core should be.  I think he didn't spend because he didn't feel he had enough room to fix everything, so he tried to fix stuff cheap and set himself up to do it in the future - when his head will be on the chopping block. 

Actually, Bohannon made the team because Lex frekin Hilliard broke his scapula.

Yeah, made it easier for him to make the team, but he has more upside than Hilliard. Unless Hilliard did something amazing this preseason I don't see how he was making team over Bohannon.

My point is that I don't think that he was as short on cash as people are acting.  They have room now and they probably had the ability to monkey with some deals to make more.  Some of that amounts to robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it works.  I agree he is looking out long term, but he has that luxury.  If the team implodes he can fire Rex.  If it is super bad he can do it during the season.  This is basically a free year to set the core, or at least learn what the core should be.  I think he didn't spend because he didn't feel he had enough room to fix everything, so he tried to fix stuff cheap and set himself up to do it in the future - when his head will be on the chopping block. 

but he really didnt "fix" anything did he.  He took a couple of pot shots to the scrap heap and hopes that if they work out, this season will be competitive, if not he has lots of cash and draft picks for next year.  and like a lot of people here said, if they all sh!t the bed noone will question his firing of Rex but I really hope that we keep Rex unless our team quits on him.

If we stay competitve with all of the bandaids and a rookie qb, i say Rex earned another year.

* = Starter 

Good/Average: 

G Willie Colon*

S Dewan Landry*

TE Kellen Winslow

DE Leger Douzable 

OLB Antwan Barnes

Bad/Who Knows: 

RB Mike Goodson

S Jaiquawn Jarrett

QB Brady Quinn 

QB David Garrard

G Stephen Peterman

DT Antonio Garay

WR Braylon Edwards

RB Alex Green

DE Scott Solomon

OT Ben Ijalana

WR Vidal Hazelton

WR Emmanuel Arceneaux

WR Thomas Mayo

OT DJ Young

OLB CLaude Davis

CB Cliff Harris

FS Brett Lockett

LS Travis Tripucka

PK Derek Dimke

P Ryan Quigley

Posts like this do not do you credit (though I struggle to find ones that do).

You would have everyone believe that the Jets were the only team to trim a roster down from 80 to 50.

Every season, every team brings in camp fodder and cuts more new faces than they keep. And you know this, but you still only bring it up with the Jets. Other teams make FAR worse signings and make FAR worse draft picks, and still not a peep out of you. Your ire is reserved solely for the Jets.

You are therefore a hypocrite.

Posts like this do not do you credit (though I struggle to find ones that do).

You would have everyone believe that the Jets were the only team to trim a roster down from 80 to 50.

Every season, every team brings in camp fodder and cuts more new faces than they keep. And you know this, but you still only bring it up with the Jets. Other teams make FAR worse signings and make FAR worse draft picks, and still not a peep out of you. Your ire is reserved solely for the Jets.

You are therefore a hypocrite.

I wouldnt go as far as calling the guy a hypocrite but listing the cuts down to the 53 man roster is laaaaaame.  Bit, you listed a long snapper?????  WTF bro!!!

Dewan for Laron was a huge downgrade. 

Shelling out for Laron would have been the dumfk move of the new millennium. If you're going to piss on Idzik, at least don't do it on a move Trader Mike probably would have made. 

31 teams don't win the Super Bowl every year, that doesn't make Jets fans feel better tho. I didn't just list 53 man, guys like Garay, Garrard, Peterman were flat out whiffs and expected to make the team. Mike Goodson is TBD but all those guys got a bonus.  

Other teams make FAR worse signings and make FAR worse draft picks, and still not a peep out of you. Your ire is reserved solely for the Jets.

Shelling out for Laron would have been the dumfk move of the new millennium. If you're going to piss on Idzik, at least don't do it on a move Trader Mike probably would have made. 

yeah who needs a safety that can run. Watching the LBs outrun the DBs on the David Wilson TD was wonderful. 

I wouldnt go as far as calling the guy a hypocrite but listing the cuts down to the 53 man roster is laaaaaame.  Bit, you listed a long snapper?????  WTF bro!!!

He is a hypocrite because he only finds fault with the Jets for doing what every team does.

I would be happy that the new additions the Jets cut were dirt cheap. Other teams cut expensive players. Other teams have already cut higher draft picks. They don't suck though and their GM is held in high esteem. Only the Jets are required to have every dirt-cheap camp fodder addition reap stellar, long-term benefits.

It is hypocritical.

yeah who needs a safety that can run. Watching the LBs outrun the DBs on the David Wilson TD was wonderful. 

Thats not the point bit, Laron was aces in all respects and it was a a horrific blow to the backfield. But shelling out that kind of money to a guy with that type of varied injury history would have been crazy.

31 teams don't win the Super Bowl every year, that doesn't make Jets fans feel better tho. I didn't just list 53 man, guys like Garay, Garrard, Peterman were flat out whiffs and expected to make the team. Mike Goodson is TBD but all those guys got a bonus.

They got virtually no bonus. What are you even talking about? 6th round picks also get signing bonuses and then get cut. Yet you say nothing about it. Also this stuff happens to every team every off-season. Yet you say nothing about it.

You are 100% purely trolling here. You're bitching about 3 bonuses of $100K, $65K, and $50K, in a season that we're absorbing some $60 MILLION in cap hits among Revis, Sanchez, Harris, Holmes, Pace, Scott, and Tebow.

the word hypocrite is overused. If you disagree fine but don't make it personal. I don't bring up your chronic impotence do I?

What word would you use to describe one who selectively find fault with the Jets, for things that you know all teams do every year?

I would say referring to you a hypocrite is accurate. You've already admitted to trolling the board here.

You are 100% purely trolling here. You're bitching about 3 bonuses of $100K, $65K, and $50K, in a season that we're absorbing some $60 MILLION in cap hits among Revis, Sanchez, Harris, Holmes, Pace, Scott, and Tebow.

maybe I'm misunderstanding but some of those were the low bonuses hitting the cap if they got cut. Garrard makes this team he gets a mil.

Idzik's FA shopping is like when you ask your mom for a RL polo shirt from Macys and she gets you 5 izods from Marshalls instead. It's not good and there's no evidence you will get the RL polo shirt next year. He's dumpster diving. 

What word would you use to describe one who selectively find fault with the Jets, for things that you know all teams do every year?

I would say referring to you a hypocrite is accurate. You've already admitted to trolling the board here.

Every 5 minutes you guys love to bring up guys like Drob and Gholston as examples of bad players i supported. (you used to bring up Vlad but that one actually panned out).

If I bash the Jets and especially Geno, shouldn't the reverse jinx theory make him awesome? Im trying to help the team. 

Archived