Soooooooo, Idzik and Woody spoke tonight in Arizona...

T0mShane

The meatiest part--

Bart Hubbuch: Woody off to the side to Mort (but within earshot): “We spent a lot of money last year to get older and slower. It’s like, ‘What the hell?!’

Translation: "I was super-busy riding Mitt's dick to pay attention to my accountant GM, but, man, when I came back in December the team really blew."

Idzik non-answered everything. The overall message was that they'd trade any one player to make the team better, BUT, they're not averse to signing Revis long-term if it came down to it. Andrew Brandt took that to mean that the Jets might be backpedaling because the offers for Revis suck.

Woody tried popping that mini-draft bullsh*t again about how fans are going to be "really happy" with the team that ends up on the field this year. Idiot. Fans are going to be so happy that he had to lower ticket prices to sell worthless seats.

This also ruled:

Bart Hubbuch: Woody (to Mort) also dogged Westhoff’s choices for special-teams additions last year. Safe to say the Jets weren’t sad to see Westy retire.

I've been saying for years that giving your f*cking special teams coach input into personnel is dumb as sh*t. You use the back end of your roster to develop young position players who happen to play specials, not the other way around. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

The meatiest part--

Translation: "I was super-busy riding Mitt's dick to pay attention to my accountant GM, but, man, when I came back in December the team really blew."

Idzik non-answered everything. The overall message was that they'd trade any one player to make the team better, BUT, they're not averse to signing Revis long-term if it came down to it. Andrew Brandt took that to mean that the Jets might be backpedaling because the offers for Revis suck.

Woody tried popping that mini-draft bullsh*t again about how fans are going to be "really happy" with the team that ends up on the field this year. Idiot. Fans are going to be so happy that he had to lower ticket prices to sell worthless seats.

Could be backpedaling on Revis' part too, although I'm more apt to believe Brandt's version.  The cornerback market  was absolutely sh*t this year and saw the highest rated CB to hit free agency in a while not even crack the top 12 paid CBs list with his new contract.  It's possible, although not likely, that Revis and his agent realize the market for CBs is not what they thought it would be and coupled with his injury could look to strike a deal.  I highly, highly doubt it happens as you only need one Al Davis/Bucs to f*ck everything up, but if he's serious about wanting to retire a jet (which i also doubt) a new contract isn't as absurd as I believed prior to FA starting.  Soo, in conclusion, I still think the jackass is gone, but I'm not as sure as I was a week ago.

Could be backpedaling on Revis' part too, although I'm more apt to believe Brandt's version. The cornerback market was absolutely sh*t this year and saw the highest rated CB to hit free agency in a while not even crack the top 12 paid CBs list with his new contract. It's possible, although not likely, that Revis and his agent realize the market for CBs is not what they thought it would be and coupled with his injury could look to strike a deal. I highly, highly doubt it happens as you only need one Al Davis/Bucs to f*ck everything up, but if he's serious about wanting to retire a jet (which i also doubt) a new contract isn't as absurd as I believed prior to FA starting. Soo, in conclusion, I still think the jackass is gone, but I'm not as sure as I was a week ago.

Revis does have a serious problem in that Cromartie and Cortland Finnegan are only making ~$9 mil now, and that the Nnamdi contract was shredded. The market is the market, so unless Revis' people can make the case that he's worth the same as one of the stud pass-rushers, he's going to have to eat a contract in the $10-$12 mil per range. The only question now is, does Idzik even want to go that high to keep him? Herm Edwards was on 1050 and brought up an interesting fact--Idzik came from a personnel philosophy in Tampa that devalued the CB position, going so far as to declare that they'd never draft a CB in round one because you don't get value.

Jets should never have come roaring into the pre-season behind the "we want to trade Revis" banner. It compromised their position in trade negotiations, that, combined with the fact that the market was flooded with experienced, decent corners. 

Sean Smith's deal has a base value of $16.5m over 3 years. Revis based on some reports wanted that for 1 year.

I'm hoping the flooded market keeps Revis as a Jets, at a price set by the current market. I have low expectations, but it's good to dream.

Jets have done a good job keeping somewhat quiet this pre-season, but damn, even when they do let a peep out... they embarrass themselves.

Revis does have a serious problem in that Cromartie and Cortland Finnegan are only making ~$9 mil now, and that the Nnamdi contract was shredded. The market is the market, so unless Revis' people can make the case that he's worth the same as one of the stud pass-rushers, he's going to have to eat a contract in the $10-$12 mil per range. The only question now is, does Idzik even want to go that high to keep him? Herm Edwards was on 1050 and brought up an interesting fact--Idzik came from a personnel philosophy in Tampa that devalued the CB position, going so far as to declare that they'd never draft a CB in round one because you don't get value.

The part about Tampa is true, but that philosophy was predicated on playing with a lead, elite speed-rushers and CBs that play zone.  Those types of guys are pretty easy to find outside of round one and they just happened to luck into finding ronde barber in the freaking third.  Drafting guys who can't play press-man would probably be the single-most telling sign of Rex not being around here for the long-haul as even if your coach doesn't have say in personnel matters, as a GM, you still don't pay a player who's the antithesis of your Head Coache's style. 

It really will be interesting to see what Idzik's first pick is, as I feel it's going to be very telling as to what his style is and what's in store for us in the upcoming years.  

More than the quality of talent they put on the field, this is the kind of thing that will hint as to whether Rex has already achieved lame duck status.  Revis is such a high level commodity that I don't think we can judge based by what they do with him,.  What will make it more difficult is that standing pat after moving Revis may just be seen as a vote of confidence for Wilson, but it was lean towards getting personnel that doesn't suit what Rex wants. Didn't TB devalue corners because the cover who has them face the play?  They are glorified safeties.  It is more a thinking man's position than an elite athlete.  Then you need safetiest that can cover the whole back end - why the Jets spent all that coin on the machine gunner.

^Good posts.

As you know, I think Rex is DCW (Dead Coach Walking). That said, the Revis thing has grown so far beyond being just a simple referendum on Rex's future that I'd find it hard to see a Revis trade as anything other than a new GM with job security getting rid of a pain in the ass in exchange for some draft picks. Yes, it hurts Rex, but I think the prospect of sparring with a cornerback for the next five years hurts Idzik more.

Tampa has changed, and the NFC South has changed since the 2000 Bucs.   

If Tampa wants to compete in the NFC South in the next few years they need to solidify their secondary.    They play 6 games / year vs. Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, and Cam Newton - no more Bobby Herbert.....     Revis vs Julio Jones, Steve Smith, and Colston is exactly what the Bucs need to be competitive.        

Tampa has changed, and the NFC South has changed since the 2000 Bucs.

If Tampa wants to compete in the NFC South in the next few years they need to solidify their secondary. They play 6 games / year vs. Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, and Cam Newton - no more Bobby Herbert..... Revis vs Julio Jones, Steve Smith, and Colston is exactly what the Bucs need to be competitive.

Herm's point was that Idzik might still subscribe to the Tampa philosophy he learned while working there, and decide that he doesn't need a really expensive corner on a rebuilding team. Keep in mind that Tampa actually has to spend money to hit the new salary cap floor.

Could be backpedaling on Revis' part too, although I'm more apt to believe Brandt's version.  The cornerback market  was absolutely sh*t this year and saw the highest rated CB to hit free agency in a while not even crack the top 12 paid CBs list with his new contract.  It's possible, although not likely, that Revis and his agent realize the market for CBs is not what they thought it would be and coupled with his injury could look to strike a deal.  I highly, highly doubt it happens as you only need one Al Davis/Bucs to f*ck everything up, but if he's serious about wanting to retire a jet (which i also doubt) a new contract isn't as absurd as I believed prior to FA starting.  Soo, in conclusion, I still think the jackass is gone, but I'm not as sure as I was a week ago.

Just out of curiosity, who was this? 

Jets should never have come roaring into the pre-season behind the "we want to trade Revis" banner. It compromised their position in trade negotiations, that, combined with the fact that the market was flooded with experienced, decent corners. 

Sean Smith's deal has a base value of $16.5m over 3 years. Revis based on some reports wanted that for 1 year.

I'm hoping the flooded market keeps Revis as a Jets, at a price set by the current market. I have low expectations, but it's good to dream.

Jets have done a good job keeping somewhat quiet this pre-season, but damn, even when they do let a peep out... they embarrass themselves.

Not necessarily. They went into the preseason behind the "we will listen to any offers" banner which they had to do because this works both ways. Revis for the first time isnt getting the type attention that he is used to getting in contract situations like this. This allows the league to know that for the right price they're willing to play ball but it also indicates to Revis that if he wants to remain here then he's going to play the way they want him to. 

Given Revis injury I think that one of two things will happen before the draft. #1. Revis is traded for the right price. #2 Revis agrees to a new contract that the Jets can work with. Revis doesnt want to risk injury in his final year heading into Free Agency. 

I have to admit, I think this Idzik character is playing this rather well. 

Also out of curiosity...this thing that guy overheard, perfectly no doubt, Woody saying to another guy....Is he talking about what they spent in the offseaso? They didn't spend much in the offseason except in the Sanchez extension that they're out of next year, so is he talking about payroll in general? Is he aware that much of that older and slower is gone and was set to be gone this year anyway?

Mostly THO...who cares?

How did they actually get older and slower?  Who did they sign last offseason?  Plax walked, replaced by Schilens and Hill - maybe not an upgrade, but younger and faster.  No real move at RB or TE.  Tebow/Stanton in for Brunell?  OL same - eventually Howard for Hunter.  On D, I guess you can say that Bell is old and slow.  Landry isn't exactly young, but he added more speed at S than they had since forever.  No real change on DL or LB, except adding Coples. The moves may not have made the team better, but only age made them older and they got faster. 

Just out of curiosity, who was this? 

Sean Smith.  I may have been over-exaggerating saying that he was the highest rated CB to hit the market in recent years as I meant to type in "one of the," but either way, a 25 year old top-end corner only getting paid 16.5 million dollars on a three  year deal, with less than $8 million guaranteed, certainly got my point across that the market for CBs was absolute sh*t.  I love Revis as much as the next guy and fully understand that his 2009 season is the best season by a defender I can remember, but when you realize that the numbers Revis' camp have been linked to are three times Smith's annual salary and seven times more in guaranteed money, you have to take a step back.

How did they actually get older and slower?  Who did they sign last offseason?  Plax walked, replaced by Schilens and Hill - maybe not an upgrade, but younger and faster.  No real move at RB or TE.  Tebow/Stanton in for Brunell?  OL same - eventually Howard for Hunter.  On D, I guess you can say that Bell is old and slow.  Landry isn't exactly young, but he added more speed at S than they had since forever.  No real change on DL or LB, except adding Coples. The moves may not have made the team better, but only age made them older and they got faster. 

Get your bullsh*t out of here. T0m's working on an agenda right now and no one needs your details. 

I think i got him T0m. 

Ya rly...Idzik, Woody, Revis...who gives a sh*t brochachos?

My friend who used to blow lines with people who used to blow lines with the people who blew lines with Woody's daughter and has knowledge of how the Jets think said that Woody was all like "whaaaaaaat(!?)" when the season ended. Pass it around. 

Get your bullsh*t out of here. T0m's working on an agenda right now and no one needs your details.

I think i got him T0m.

Woody Johnson has fallen headlong into my cult and is spewing the obvious falsehoods I've implanted in his brain vis a vis Inception. Ask yourself, Gato...is your totem really tangible?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!????!?!?????!?!??!?!?!?!???!????????????

Woody Johnson has fallen headlong into my cult and is spewing the obvious falsehoods I've implanted in his brain vis a vis Inception. Ask yourself, Gato...is your totem really tangible?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!????!?!?????!?!??!?!?!?!???!????????????

triple-h-thumbs-down-o.gif

I be he was all like..."Get me someone who can right the ship within the next ten years with only a few tanked seasons. We can be the Tampa Rays of the NFL!!" 

Do you think they "got older and slower" last year?  It's better to be young and fast, but younger and faster isn't always better.

The meatiest part--

So the message has gone from "Woody is a terrible owner because he's too involved," to "Woody is awful as an owner because he isn't involved enough"?

LOL. Why don't you haters pick something and stick with it? It's getting more and more difficult to track the anti-homers rallying point of the day.

Jets should never have come roaring into the pre-season behind the "we want to trade Revis" banner.

Zero: the amount of times, combined, that anyone associated with the organization said anything like that.

Woody can both be heavily involved and not heavily involved. It's obvious. 6-10 says everything that has to be said for at least 6 more months and then hopefully the next 3-5 years. Woody being both involved and not involved is exactly what this franchise needs.

Also they did come roaring out with that slogan. You just don't want to do the right thing and blow the next few years until a hero saves us so you choose to be blind to the obvious.

This also ruled:

I've been saying for years that giving your f*cking special teams coach input into personnel is dumb as sh*t. You use the back end of your roster to develop young position players who happen to play specials, not the other way around. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Very astute of Woody, a special teams guru from way back.  I love when Woody talks football.  He almost seems manly. Are Woody and John Clayton related in some distant way?

I think Asomugha (sp?) destroyed the rising value of the CB position and thank God he did.  A guy who eliminates one guy is just not that big a deal. Not with spread offenses where receivers are far better than 3rd CBs and 4th CBs.  Even with everybody using 3 step drops these guys are open all over the field.  Watching Atlanta and SF secondaries in the playoffs was laughable.  And yet, there they were, contending for a spot in the SB.

the thing with REvis is:  even if he did sign a "reasonable" contract, he would be holding out again in a year.

Archived