Cimini: Jets in No Rush to Trade Revis

flgreen

Jets in no rush to make a deal

March, 19, 2013
Mar 19

9:25

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

A week ago, Darrelle Revis was supposedly a goner. Now there are reports that the Bucs' interest in him is cooling. So which is it?

The word I'm getting from the NFL meetings in Phoenix is that Jets GM John Idzik is in no rush to make a trade and that he's willing to let it play out until after the draft. Why wait?

The Jets are on a long-term rebuilding plan, and Idzik apparently isn't married to the idea of having immediate draft-pick compensation -- if he decides to move his best player, which is what many expect to happen. He's telling people he'd be content to wait for 2014 compensation, when he could use an extra No. 1 pick (and maybe other picks) to maneuver for a quarterback.

Of course, if the Bucs make him an offer he can't refuse, Idzik would pull the trigger now. The sense, though, is that he'll let it play out, waiting for Revis' surgically repaired knee to heal and perhaps hoping another team enters the fray to create a bidding war.

The risk is that the Bucs will bow out and no other serious suitors will step up. Broncos exec John Elway said Tuesday he has no interest in trading for Revis, and the 49ers reportedly feel the same way -- two teams linked to a potential trade.

Right now, it's all about the Bucs. Now, this twist: There are rumblings the Bucs are frustrated by the slow-moving Jets and losing interest, and that they're prepared to shift their focus to free-agent CB Brent Grimes.

Brent Grimes? Does anybody really believe the Bucs expect Grimes to save their league-worst pass defense? He's not even close to a healthy Revis. The way the cornerback market has plunged, the Bucs could sign Grimes and trade for Revis. The Grimes stuff is just a well-placed leak in an attempt to rattle the Jets.

League sources believe the Revis camp wants to get this done ASAP. Revis knows the Bucs are willing to pay what he wants on a new contract (or in the neighborhood) and he sees them as a team with potential. He'd also be only a few hours from his home in South Florida. But, really, it's about the money. If the Bucs pull out, will anybody else step up to satisfy Revis?

That's the fear for Revis. And, to a lesser extent, the Jets, too.

Translation:   Nobody wants to meet both Revis demands, and Idzik’s.  This could get messy

There is probably truth to both sides.

Idzik doesnt seem like a fool.  He knows his entire career could be riding on this decision.  He's not taking it lightly, it seems and I dont blame him for not being in a rush if the offers arent up to par. 

There is probably truth to both sides.

Idzik doesnt seem like a fool.  He knows his entire career could be riding on this decision.  He's not taking it lightly, it seems and I dont blame him for not being in a rush if the offers arent up to par. 

If this trade does not contribute to the Jets  getting a franchise QB then the deal does not work.  No other type of player will satisfy the fanbase.  So I think whatever deal comes will have a 2014 component.  Not getting are QB this year.  Maybe a late rounder but next year we go for the franchise guy we need.

I miss Tanny. He would have made this happen already then we could have used the 13 and the 9 to trade up this year and grab whoever. There's no buzz or excitement with the Idzik guy. Hopefully we can get Rex some more time in front of the mic so this offseason isn't a total bust.

I miss Tanny. He would have made this happen already then we could have used the 13 and the 9 to trade up this year and grab whoever. There's no buzz or excitement with the Idzik guy. Hopefully we can get Rex some more time in front of the mic so this offseason isn't a total bust.

We need a sarcasm button...

It's one of those Jets want this, Bucs want to give up that, and nobody is meeting in the middle.  And Revis is still coming off an injury and demanding big bucks.  So there really is no reason for anybody to make a deal on either side.   Bucs trade away the farm for him, sign him to some long term huge $$$ extension.  and he comes back a lesser version of himself.  Bucs would be killed and they'd probably be a bad franchise for years because of the deal.   Bad deals like this kill franchises like the Bucs.    

On the other side of things, the Jets trade him away for a 2nd this year and 4th(possible 1st) next year and they have one of those horrible 5-11 seasons and Rex and staff are fired while the Bucs go 11-5, make the playoffs, win a playoff game or two and look like a team on the rise,  it wouldn't look good for Idzik.  It really wouldn't look good if the Jets draft this year sucked and all they got for Revis was a 2nd rounder who didn't start and the 26th pick in next years first round.  If they get that depending on clauses.  

It is a good stall tactic for Idzik.   Push off everything till 2014 and beyond.   Trade Revis May(I assume they would trade him before June's deadline), and get some draft picks next year.    It's good in one sense, but it's a big unknown.  They could get a top 10 pick or they could wind up with the 30th pick in the draft.    

I'd rather they wait for the best possible trade, but at the same time, I'm not digging this 'hold onto players' just to hold onto them either.   AKA Tim Tebow is still on the Jets for some reason.  Cut him, trade him for a arena football mascot, whatever, I'm just confused why the guy is even on the roster at this point.  They didn't' want him last year.    At some point you have to take a risk and pull the trigger.    Nothing like thinking you have more leverage than you actually do and wind up trading away Revis in May for a lot less than you would have received now.     

The truth is,  either nobody is interested in trading/paying Revis,  or the Jets are asking for way too much and nobody is willing to give that up.I don't see teams lining up after the draft and suddenly changing their mind about it.    

If the rumors are correct, the Bucs were willing to give up their 1st this year(13) after some fight over it, and a 4th(possible 1st next year),and something else?      So possibly they'd get a 1 this year, a 1 or 2 next year, and some other crap thrown in.   I'm not sure why this is considered a bad offer?

Very interesting what is happening in teh FA CB market this offseason. Of the top 4 highest paid CBs, 3 of them have been cut.  Look at the signings, they are all making 6M a year on the high end.  Not saying that any of them are Revis when he is healthy but the money being spent on CBs had dropped fast!  Wonder how this will affect the negotiations for whichever team attempt to sign Revis long term.

As far as Tebow, there may be something to a trade for him.  There is no other reason to hold onto him.  If they think a team wants him, they will want him for training camp.  Seems the jets have leverage here.

Very interesting what is happening in teh FA CB market this offseason. Of the top 4 highest paid CBs, 3 of them have been cut.  Look at the signings, they are all making 6M a year on the high end.  Not saying that any of them are Revis when he is healthy but the money being spent on CBs had dropped fast!  Wonder how this will affect the negotiations for whichever team attempt to sign Revis long term.

As far as Tebow, there may be something to a trade for him.  There is no other reason to hold onto him.  If they think a team wants him, they will want him for training camp.  Seems the jets have leverage here.

I don't see any leverage with Tebow.   Nobody is going to give anything up for him at this point.   Everybody knows Rex won't play the guy, and in all honesty, most experts don't even think he should be in the NFL.   When articles are published about him going to play in the Arena football league, what kind of leverage do you really have?    Trade him for a 7th round pick in August?    I don't see the point of dragging this mess on.

As far as Revis,   who knows.   The market is telling him that he's not worth what he wants, but we've seen plenty of players and agents hold out for what they want.  And it seemed the Bucs were willing to pay him what he wanted.   It was more like the Jets and Bucs couldn't agree to a trade.

If the rumors are correct, the Bucs were willing to give up their 1st this year(13) after some fight over it, and a 4th(possible 1st next year),and something else?      So possibly they'd get a 1 this year, a 1 or 2 next year, and some other crap thrown in.   I'm not sure why this is considered a bad offer?

the rumors i heard were the bucs not willing to give up this year's 1. 

the rumors i heard were the bucs not willing to give up this year's 1. 

I heard that at first, then I heard they were willing to consider it.  We don't know what they are offering.  They might have said, we'll give you the 1st pick this year and some 4th rounder next year and nothing else.  You never know.   Both sides are taking a huge risk whether the trade is today or in May or June.   Nobody knows if he'll come back as his old self.  He might come back healthy but he's not the same player.   For every AP, there are a hundred other guys who were never the same.    And what happens if AP is never that 2K MVP runner again?  We've seen TD retire soon after, Jamal Lewis never being close to that kind of back,  Barry Sanders retired a year later, etc.     

I'm all up for waiting for the best deal. I'm just not sold on either side having leverage. The longer this plays out, the more likely teams like the Bucs will move on.   And in the end, Revis stays with the Jets,  and leaves for nothing.   At that point Idzik would look bad.

I don't see any leverage with Tebow.   Nobody is going to give anything up for him at this point.   Everybody knows Rex won't play the guy, and in all honesty, most experts don't even think he should be in the NFL.   When articles are published about him going to play in the Arena football league, what kind of leverage do you really have?    Trade him for a 7th round pick in August?    I don't see the point of dragging this mess on.

As far as Revis,   who knows.   The market is telling him that he's not worth what he wants, but we've seen plenty of players and agents hold out for what they want.  And it seemed the Bucs were willing to pay him what he wanted.   It was more like the Jets and Bucs couldn't agree to a trade.

Well then why not dump Tebow?  I see no other reason.

I'm all up for waiting for the best deal. I'm just not sold on either side having leverage. The longer this plays out, the more likely teams like the Bucs will move on.   And in the end, Revis stays with the Jets,  and leaves for nothing.   At that point Idzik would look bad.

there is the chance that the Bucs see the board play out on draft night... and call the Jets when they are on the clock. Realistically is Xavier Rhodes a better option at 13 than Revis? Even with the injury concerns. The Jets have leverage in the sense that they don't HAVE to trade him by the draft. they could trade him week 8 of the regular season or anywhere in between. The Jets just gave him a million dollars if they were under a dead line it was that... 

LOL @ the ****ing media!!!!!

The word I'm getting from the NFL meetings in Phoenix is that Jets GM
John Idzik is in no rush to make a trade and that he's willing to let it
play out until after the draft.

Just last week these guys were reporting that the Jets couldn't get rid of Revis fast enough. I don't believe anything they say anymore. Cimini is just a douche, and Mehta is a liar with 1,000 unnamed sources.

there is the chance that the Bucs see the board play out on draft night... and call the Jets when they are on the clock. Realistically is Xavier Rhodes a better option at 13 than Revis? Even with the injury concerns. The Jets have leverage in the sense that they don't HAVE to trade him by the draft. they could trade him week 8 of the regular season or anywhere in between. The Jets just gave him a million dollars if they were under a dead line it was that... 

That could happen.  But if the Bucs think they can get some young kid in the draft who will become a good CB, maybe never as good as Revis, but good enough, it suddenly kills the trade.   Remember, even if Revis is only $12 million per year,   some young drafted CB who lives up to expectations would cost nowhere near that amount for the next 4-5 seasons.   And the Bucs could add a few other players of value compared to just one guy.

If the Jets wait till the season to trade Revis, I think it's a pipe dream to think any team would actually give up anything for him.   At that point, Revis would be a rented player for half a season.   It's hard to get agents and players and teams to renegotiate some contract mid season.   And a team like the 49ers, who already seem to be on the cheap in giving up draft picks for players,  might give the Jets a #1 pick in 2014 if they think Revis would get them a Super bowl win.  I doubt they'd give up more than that at that point.  If they even gave up that.  

Revis for 8 games isn't worth trading the farm away.     But even if the 49ers did fall for it,  what would that pick be?  The 31st of 32nd?    

I think the time to trade Revis is up until the draft or even during the draft.  Waiting till after the draft,  I just don't see teams wanting to give up a ton at that point.  It becomes harder and harder to work out some long term deal the closer you get to the season. Once the season starts, Revis and his agent won't work out a contract.  Most players wait till the season is over.  Look at Flacco.    

And a bad team next year, why would they trade for Revis in the middle of the season when they can just wait till after the season to offer him some max deal.  No point in trading for Revis in the 6th game of the 2013 season if the team is 1-5 and they suck.

That could happen.  But if the Bucs think they can get some young kid in the draft who will become a good CB, maybe never as good as Revis, but good enough, it suddenly kills the trade.   Remember, even if Revis is only $12 million per year,   some young drafted CB who lives up to expectations would cost nowhere near that amount for the next 4-5 seasons.   And the Bucs could add a few other players of value compared to just one guy.

If the Jets wait till the season to trade Revis, I think it's a pipe dream to think any team would actually give up anything for him.   At that point, Revis would be a rented player for half a season.   It's hard to get agents and players and teams to renegotiate some contract mid season.   And a team like the 49ers, who already seem to be on the cheap in giving up draft picks for players,  might give the Jets a #1 pick in 2014 if they think Revis would get them a Super bowl win.  I doubt they'd give up more than that at that point.  If they even gave up that.  

Revis for 8 games isn't worth trading the farm away.     But even if the 49ers did fall for it,  what would that pick be?  The 31st of 32nd?    

I think the time to trade Revis is up until the draft or even during the draft.  Waiting till after the draft,  I just don't see teams wanting to give up a ton at that point.  It becomes harder and harder to work out some long term deal the closer you get to the season. Once the season starts, Revis and his agent won't work out a contract.  Most players wait till the season is over.  Look at Flacco.    

And a bad team next year, why would they trade for Revis in the middle of the season when they can just wait till after the season to offer him some max deal.  No point in trading for Revis in the 6th game of the 2013 season if the team is 1-5 and they suck.

you say alot of true things but anytime a team sets themselves a deadline for trading a player, they are screwing themselves. A player like Revis is worth at least a 1st. If not more. His resume didn't just go away because he missed 13 games. Assume he's the same All Pro player for a few more years, he's at least in the convo getting a bust in Canton. Players like that you don't just trade away for a 2 cause that's the best you can get. It's weak tea. No way to approach a serious negotiation. I'd almost rather have the comp 3 in 2015 cause at least that's showing some balls for future negotiations. 

Archived